Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Prime time was already European evenings, guess that'll become the only time to get anything done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

please knock Mom! posted:

do you guys still play? I still have to get a prof to 220 lol

I'm playing some before the FF14 patch next week. I should probably get my first 220 too, my MP is 219

(I also found out one of my toons is still in the old goon org)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

please knock Mom! posted:

I kind of want to get a soloist keeper to 220, but otoh crat is so good

Crat is my current project and I've not had so much fun in ages. Especially 1-100 stuff just melts

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Nosthula posted:

Ya, I kept one of my accounts SL only for this very purpose. Honestly if they even lowered it to 9.99 I'd probably fire up 6 of my accounts and start multiboxing the game again.

Edit: Better yet if the game died and someone got a real emulator going similar to how Asheron's Call has ended up. Although I'm not sure its popular enough.

I hate to think how terrible setting up an AO server is

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I think for me, the main thing that's never been replicated anywhere else is the twinking. You can do some absurd stuff with a little game knowledge and a spreadsheet

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Floob posted:

It's legendary, but I never got into it myself. My main is a Martial Artist, and besides almost always going with fists, until I got those batons at end game, I have personally almost never gotten buffed into a piece of gear. Before the social clothing was live, I was always swapping out my gear, and I hated not being able to do that myself, so it just became a habit. I will at every chance I get find a buff to run a higher level pet on my MP and Engineers. It's critical to that class. I can self cast a red pet, but if you want to tackle things that others can do solo, you will need a seriously high level pet. Especially with how janky the agro system is in AO.

Honestly, the implant system was a stroke of genius.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The 20th anniversary stuff has been announced and it's pretty underwhelming

https://forums.funcom.com/t/zomg-ao-20th-anniversary-event-june-16-july-14/170912
https://forums.funcom.com/t/new-items-anniversary-patch/170874

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

I said come in! posted:

I am trying to find people to play with what is the best way to hook up with goons?

We did have an Omni org but its dead as can be. I nominally have one toon still in there with invite powers but I wouldn't be able to promote anyone to have invite powers and I don't really want to reactivate that account anyway

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gearhead posted:

Anybody left in GoonCorp? Holy cow the game has changed...

One of my old accounts has a toon there but no, it’s completely dead

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gearhead posted:

Maybe I'll just hook into one of the big open recruitment megaguilds or something.

Honestly that’s what I did. Omni-side Wayland Yutani is fine if a little chuddy in places, Clan-side Athen Paladins are lovely

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

I said come in! posted:

Anything for basic advice that is good enough to get by to level 200? This game is so confusing.

If your interest is just to get to 200, just buy profession implants from Fair Trade every so often according to your abilities/treatment skill (remembering that the implant installation machine gives you +100 treatment, and that you can easily get a medsuit as omni/neutral or roll it as clan for +78). In the same way, your NCU will just depend on what your computer literacy is at.

At a basic level this game is pretty simple - the real complexity (and the real fun for me) is knowing what buffs/items buff which stats and laddering them into getting some truly busted poo poo on for your level.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DrZepam posted:

I wish Funcom made it F2P with SL (the level design of Elysium is beautiful) or some nerds manage to launch a working PGS.

For real, paying €17/mo is a joke

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tabletops posted:

One of my favorite things was pushing my trader as far as possible on his implants at level 15 or something. Just laddering up to higher level skill drains, quickly putting in better implants, then higher drains etc. I think the only limiting factor was that I just couldn’t source some of the skill drains at a higher level cause they were rewards or drops or something and I was relatively poor

Oh yeah, I absolutely love that poo poo and Trader is the most broken at the lowest levels

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Twenty Four posted:

Also, could I renew an account that had characters beyond level 200 on the free to play program and still play those characters outside of Shadowlands and Alien stuff or whatever? Or play some of my decked-out sub 200 characters on that account despite having a few over 200? I'm guessing the answer is no, and chances are those characters were lost to time over a decade ago, and there's probably only like half a dozen people reading this thread, but worth asking!

Nope, once an account has the expansions there's no way to have it be F2P again.

The characters almost certainly still exist, though they probably have some random garbage name now due to server merges etc

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Twenty Four posted:

Cross posting something AO related from another thread again. Nothing special really but I figured why not post it here too, in the AO thread. Maybe someone will have some memories or a take on this.

To be fair, tower buffs can often be key in doing some of the more disgusting twinking you can do

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

FrostyPox posted:

Well this was not the best weekend to start a new MMO, I have been super busy :smith:

I'm wondering if it's smarter to do the procedurally generated missions or grind in the subway? I should probably join a faction first anyway since it seems to be all benefits and few drawbacks whereas neutral has no drawbacks but no benefits.

The quickest way to get XP as a froob is to do daily missions for the Mission Agencies in Old Athen/Rome Blue. The normal mission handler should give you something you can easily solo, and the senior mission handler should give you a list of things to kill in a dungeon - up til 25, this will be the Subway. If you're on a paid account, you can also get an alien mission.

Details here (AOU is pretty much the be-all-and-end-all of knowledge for this game)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
One week in every two there’s also dailies to get in the Arbiter’s Office in ICC

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kalman posted:

Also even if you hate PvP the “illegal notum miners” daily is quick and easy and doesn’t actually require any PvP (unless you get extremely unlucky.)

Oh yeah, forgot the Borealis PvP dailies too. The battlestation ones complete whether you win or lose the match

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kalman posted:

Oh and once you hit the right level (100?) the Reck dailies open up too.

90 for those. The cargo ones for each faction and the notum tower one are very easy even at 90, the others will likely need a group

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
There's no other game which scratches the AO itch - just something about the skill/gear system that absolutely does it for me

(its spreadsheets)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

FrostyPox posted:

Kinda dreading having to keep track of implants as well as armor tbh lmao

This doesn't tend to be too bad; you don't change implants particularly often.

From an inventory management perspective, have a look for AO Item Assistant+

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

FrostyPox posted:

That's good to know. So far inventory management hasn't been too bad, but I'll keep that in mind.

I'm still playing pretty casually, maybe for a couple hours every couple days, but it's fun. I just hit 19 so I guess after next level I have to manually assign IP which is a bit daunting, but I'll check some guides.

I really love the jazz track that plays sometimes in cities, I still remember it from when I very briefly played like 20 years ago, lmao

The actual open world is... both interesting and very ugly. I've noticed that mob spawns tend to not have much pattern when it comes to levels. I'll find level 20 mobs next to or mixed in with like level 75 mobs, and I even had a terminal mission that sent me out into Agean and the entrance was surrounded by level 75 mobs, though getting in and out wasn't a problem.

For me, the absolute pinnacle of the music is the Rome theme, love that poo poo. Or the loading music.

The open world absolutely sucks, as you mention it's pretty much just a scattergun approach to mobs and there's very little to actually find or do out there.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Well, they decided to shutter the volunteer ARK program. Might be a death knell for the game altogether.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

almost1337 posted:

Dang, I remember being super excited to apply for the Ark program before realizing it was really me paying to work for them part-time.

I did it for a few weeks but yeah, this was accurate.

Anyway, reading between the lines it looks like Funcom legal didn’t want to let them flout European employment law anymore by getting a bunch of unpaid labour (that happened to be the only effective customer service they had anymore)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Didn’t most MMOs shutter their volunteer programs years ago because they didn’t meet minimum wage standards? Even offering a free account at $15/month only covers about 2 hours of work and ARK required a lot more than that when I was in…

:rip: GM Island…

Yeah, if this is the reason it got shuttered it's kind of understandable. I was also an MTG judge for a few years (because apparently I can't get enough of being a sucker) and that program got shuttered when it started getting dragged through the US courts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sintor posted:

Nothing quite like the high of wrangling a stygian onto your baby melee.

Hell yeah, then going down the Subway and slapping Abmouth in his dumb face