Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Despite having boring combat and being one of the oldest feeling things around that isn't everquest, I really like a lot of things about this game. The overwhelming leveling system that will let you nerf yourself into the ground, the contrast of rubi-ka and the shadowlands, the stupid amount of equipment slots, the nuts amount of only slightly ridiculous crafting, the absurd twinking. There's a lot of good or at least neat stuff in AO, on top of all the old bad poo poo.

Can I get all the expansions for free yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I recall that being true as of at least a year and a half ago, so the credit duping happened sometime before then. But I was able to run nano crystal missions as a Fixer and made hundreds of millions in like four or five days.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

The last time I played was like two or three years ago and simply running missions as a fixer for various nanos people didn't want to roll/farm for got me maxed out on credits in a day or three.

This was still not enough to buy grid armor because of whatever credit limitation on free accounts.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Join an ancient clan and someone will give you grind armor.

e: I meant grid armor but you know what that typo stays.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

That jacking into the matrix bit is pretty neato and lets you fast travel/teleport around more than other classes.

You also get pretty good HoTs.

You can also make a good deal of money by running quick missions for other players for specific nano programs, turning the completely broken economy in your favor. This is somewhat doable at a lowerish level. I don't remember the details on this but I remember it being fairly easy to do when I hopped back in to this game several years ago. If you do this you may or may not want the third party program Clicksaver, if it actually still exists.

If you're going with a free account there is a ton of content you won't be able to touch but there's still a fair amount of dicking around in a free mmo available to you, and I think your best weapons will be BlackBirds. Ignore this if you're paying for expansions.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

That sounds right to me. You'll probably be able to find someone to buy it from or simply gift it to you, especially if you join an org, much more easily than way back in the day. That being said it isn't super necessary. It will allow you to dodge tank basically everything for several levels (like 10+) before you need to upgrade it but you can also rely on whatever good armor for your level and heal tank through a lot of stuff.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Honestly I think a lot of us would. The game has a lot of really weird quirks that a modern take could be pretty cool. I'd update a lot more than just the graphics but try to keep all the weird unique bits and customization. I also liked shadowlands, which has some neat lore and keeps the weird spirit, even if it did veer a lot more into fantasy than the nano dune base game and aliens expansion.

But then again, Funcom.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Implants, armor, how many buffs you can cram in your ncu including buffs that expand your ncu, social clothing, backpacks inside backpacks inside backpacks.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah theresvery little to the open world outside of some specific mobs to farm gear from, which you should probably never bother with, and dungeons for rolled missions. Also maybe invest in a flying car eventually.

Also yes, the music in AO ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Oh god, didn't the doctor bot stations also have that same limitation for a time?