Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibus
Jan 9, 2005

But I poop from there!
Forget Classic WoW, where is Classic AO? The game was so much fun and I played it WAY too often. Thankfully Shadowlands came out and ruined the game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibus
Jan 9, 2005

But I poop from there!
My main was an Enforcer, was one of the first to get the enhanced queen blade way back then too. I also had a NT, but she never got above level 160ish.

Habibus
Jan 9, 2005

But I poop from there!

please knock Mom! posted:

SL moved AO from cool cyberpunk game to yet another drab fantasy game. The areas were so rich in XP and valuable loot that RK became deserted overnight. It was full of selfish kiters running around death trains, lag, overtuned mobs, and the dumbest of dumb quests. The biggest mistake Funcom made was making RK completely obsolete by making the Shadowlands better in every single way for leveling. There's zero reason to ever go back to Rubi-Ka aside from dipping down at level 60 and 100 for some nodrop dungeon items.

Basically everything in RK was made obsolete as you said, and also almost all your nanos, etc. It was a totally different game that they tacked on for some stupid reason. Some of the stupid things they did:

NT's nanos gave huge amounts of threat overnight, forcing you to use the stupid re-compiler and the SL nukes so you don't pull aggro as an NT. People were having fun with weapons on their NTs, can't have that.

Most RK nanos didn't work in SL. RRFE was the big one for me being our guild's main tank as an Enforcer. Couldn't tank no where near as effectively because I was getting hit like at truck. Primal rage? Oh that DOT you get from it changed from 72 per second to like 1000 per second.

Mobs being WAY overtuned and having insane AC meaning you always hit for minimum on them, severely limiting weapon choice in the game and all your hits hitting for the same amount of damage every single time.

Only ONE mob in the ENTIRE game would give faction so you can actually get some stupid SK. Oh that mob is a 3 hour spawn and everyone that is level 200+ on your faction is camping it too. Better do as much damage as possible to get some faction.

Mobs overtuned again : Not being able to get any SK besides Hecklers until you get into the last few zones so mobs aren't grey anymore. Oh those grey mobs from the previous zone? They will pack in your poo poo if you aren't careful and you won't get any rewards from killing them.

So many stupid items you had to carry around. Tons of keys and insignias just to get anywhere. Also having to remove vital pieces of armor to wear zone specific gear that gave no stats, just prevented the DOTs from said zone from killing you. As an Atrox I was able to self-equip my helmet and all my armor but I sure did miss like say the -10% nano cost or HP bonus not to mention the AC of the piece of armor that I had to remove to wear some stupid shades. Other classes/races had to get buffs to get their helmet or boots back on.

The game became totally linear, no PVP zones like in RK, etc. It just took a good game that was fun and rewarding and turned it into a poo poo show grind. I quit after I reached level 205 and went to WoW with most of my guild (Legion on RK1).

The grind was NOT fun at all. Hecklers, Hecklers, Hecklers. This is coming from someone that hit 200 with just missions back in the day. I have over 5000 Omni tokens still on my Enforcer from doing so many missions. Grinding missions was still more fun than anything that Shadowlands had to offer.

Habibus
Jan 9, 2005

But I poop from there!
Am I the only one that hopes they keep Shadowlands away from the RK2019 server for a long time, or even better not introduce it? To me prime AO was right before SL released. Shadowlands was just a huge departure from the original game and killed it for me and pretty much killed the game. I started playing again and me and my old school friends are having tons of fun. But since they already introduced Notum Wars I'm worried that Shadowlands is around the corner and will kill the fun. I will probably stop playing again when/if Shadowlands is released.

Habibus
Jan 9, 2005

But I poop from there!
Still having tons of fun playing AO again. My original character on rk1 has over 180 days /played and it's safe to say I'm hooked again. Still apprehensive about Shadowlands coming out for it. I hope they don't do it for a while if they do it at all. But I've noticed lots of quality of life improvements in just the base game from before. Like as an Enforcer I no longer have to waste IP in Time and Space so I can use nano rechargers, and the rechargers you can get now also remove debuffs.
IF Shadowlands is released I will at least give it a try to see if it's better than the last time I played it when it was released. Camping one mob with a 3 hour spawn and hoping you do enough damage to get some reputation from it so you can get more shadow knowledge from hecklers that you hit for the same exact amount of damage every time made for a VERY boring game to me and one of the reasons I loathed anything in SL.

Hell I'm even having fun farming credits for my 24 NT on my 60 Enforcer so that I can get bigger nukes etc. AOEing in the subway is crazy stupid XP right now.