Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I still play regularly, but with the reduction in players and how daily missions have ruined the need for groups, I just level up alt's now. I'm working on a fixer, so I went camping the Crypt of Home for level 100 Blackbirds and ended up with a number of other level 100 weapons from those mobs. I sold those and have so much money I had to spread it across multiple characters. I can't believe they never enhanced the bank...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Statutory Ape posted:

those weapons sell for enough to cap your credit limit now O.o

Yeah, the lvl 100 Blackbirds go for about 1 Billion credits, and the 2 handed blunts got for around 900,000 in the same level. I had a few of those, and then some ranging levels 101-103 and sold some of them. I still have a couple bags full so I can sell them later or use them myself. It's strange. The server must suffer from credit farmers, sellers to have anything worth that much. I would personally just farm them myself, or use a different weapon. There's no way I am paying that much for anything in AO... Grid Armor is another crazy item, but I think less so now. There are none for sale currently, but I was able to loot and build the program disk myself for MK I.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Statutory Ape posted:

AO always had a very robust system of lazy people farming jobs out to not lazy people lol, it was one of the things i loved about it. for awhile pre-sl i mained fixer and would make serious, serious money blitzing entire nano lines for people too lazy or bad to use clicksaver

it probably unironically helped me later in life as i moved into business- i would take multiple dozens of orders from a lot of different people at a time and tracked it all in excel, and made sure to be courteous n good to the custies

True. I never got into the blitzing, and would role my own stuff, but never sell anything. I started playing at launch, and only got my first character to 220 a couple years ago. I have had some nasty breaks in play time, but I always come back. The big problem now, is people don't come back as often as they used to. There's just not enough there to hold you...

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Fewd posted:

What the actual goddamn gently caress :trumppop:

I've never seen economy this badly gone to hell in any game ever lol

I remember sitting at a Grid Stream party wondering how in the hell anyone had 100milion credits to raffle off... Apparently most of Rubi-Ka's mass is just packed together credits. I had just never spent time trying to acquire any of it. Now as I sit on 5 billion credits, I feel like a rock star, but I guess this is just the tip of the iceberg. I have never spent credits on anything but stims, and always got my gear from raiding, and I've got some of the best equipment you can find... I wouldn't even know what to spend the money on.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Statutory Ape posted:

its kind of funny how a noob would probably struggle to grab the 5 mil for a yalm or whatev meanwhile veterans are like ugh i have to make yet another account to store my riches

And it's that gap, or the broken economy as Fewd mentioned that makes it impossible for new players to catch up. There is simply too much currency in circulation, or I guess being stock piled. I was lucky with my main character back in the day and looted my yalm from a mission chest. They ended up removing them for probably stupid reasons, but I still smile every time I fly it.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Statutory Ape posted:

it did spawn that cool little microsystem of people holding the yalm vendors open and shouting in trade/ooc about the low req yalms :3

e; its kind of funny how games have changed and thus so have the experiences involved with the people in them. as but one small example, AO and similar games, most of the poo poo in the game (at least back closer to when it was new) you absolutely needed help to accomplish. Whether it was just grabbing a nelebs robe or guardian tank armor or some outdoor poo poo, whatever. i think this necessitated a lot more selflessness and genuine team oriented thinking.

you can find that in any game, not even with much difficulty if youre socially active in them, but what stands out was how many people- even strangers in the game- were willing to dedicate literal hours into the crack of dawn to help you/whoever else youre with get some stupid item thats a rare drop off of a boss thats a rare spawn. or the random tradeskillers youd see doing things like walking people how to do their first custom implant setups and helping them twink it on for noobs they'd never talked to

perhaps in some ways the open-ness of the professions to be able to have a lot of varying playstyles lent itself to that too, group comp could be basically whatever you wanted it to be for a lot of content w skilled players

Look no further than the evolution from the earlier games such as Everquest. You absolutely needed help, and you needed to wait around for health and mana to regen. Anarchy Online evolved from that, to the use of science to remove the wait time, but you still needed help. Now games are adding mercenary characters you can purchase to assist, and making multi-boxing easier through mindless combat, and increasing solo play activities. The daily mission system obliterated group play in AO and I hate it... But is the technology just following the trend, or are the designers setting the trend? I don't think people want to group or socially interact with others like we used to. Look around AO for role-players. You will find some, but there used to be dozens of orgs dedicated to roleplay.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Last time I logged in some rando just gave me 50m. :homebrew:

I have a very specific memory of looking for groups at 20k while listening to Dvorak and I don't know why this is the one memory that has stayed, decades later, but it'd be fun to get a pickup group and just shoot mobs.
:member:

Anarchy Online has remained, and probably will be my favorite MMO of all time, and the one I continuously go back to when I'm feeling nostalgic. The story they built and political landscape is just awesome. The graphics were beautiful for the time, and I think the artwork still holds up today. They did social clothing right, so better than any other game at the time, you could identify another player, out of hundreds just by their clothing. Having a real name as well as nick name opened up even more roleplay options, and the world just felt "real" At the end of a day hunting the Blaster Beetle, or shades in Greater Tir Country, you could pull up a barstool at Reets Retreat and actually strike up conversations with other players completely in character. Not for everyone, sure, but I loved it! This game will always be special to me.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

The Bronto Burger in Omni Trade was where my guild hung out and it is usually the first place I go whenever I log back in...which will probably be soon.

I wonder if I could ever find my apartment in Jove, if I could ever get back to Jove...

Lux apartment? You can teleport to Jobe from the major cities through the Woompa, just a matter of remembering what platform you were on when you keyed it. I think mine is in "the Harbor" I don't use it often. Last time I was in there me and a friend put down some decorations. Going there now just makes me sad.

Yeah Whisper's Edge always hung out Around BY4 in West Athens, or in "The Cup" until we got a city and hung out there a lot. When I was with the Red Tigers we would hang out near the Grid terminal in Old Athens under the big tree...

OT cities are mostly barren, and you will find most of them hanging out in Borealis these days.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Statutory Ape posted:

West Athens is an OT city :colbert:

Am I missing the joke? West Athens is literally the starting Rubi-Ka city for clanners. Sorry if I missed the joke :)

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Statutory Ape posted:

lol the clans stole it from omni tech :)

Ah yes, gotcha :) To be fair, OT owned everything before the war, so yeah, I guess they can be bitter.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

mfcrocker posted:

I think for me, the main thing that's never been replicated anywhere else is the twinking. You can do some absurd stuff with a little game knowledge and a spreadsheet

It's legendary, but I never got into it myself. My main is a Martial Artist, and besides almost always going with fists, until I got those batons at end game, I have personally almost never gotten buffed into a piece of gear. Before the social clothing was live, I was always swapping out my gear, and I hated not being able to do that myself, so it just became a habit. I will at every chance I get find a buff to run a higher level pet on my MP and Engineers. It's critical to that class. I can self cast a red pet, but if you want to tackle things that others can do solo, you will need a seriously high level pet. Especially with how janky the agro system is in AO.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

mfcrocker posted:

Honestly, the implant system was a stroke of genius.

That's a good point. I have never seen a game with the amount of freedom and potential as AO. I remember when the Alien Invasion expansion was announced. I told a friend of mine at the time "Man, did they pick the wrong planet to attack!" Most games your leveling system is so static. Hit level 5, cast level 5 nano or use level 5 weapon. Allowing you to separate skill from level to some degree, sure your level does grant you some additional potential, but if you can just squeeze into some gloves, or an implant, you can fight like a level 10, at level 5.

My MA has some pretty decent gear, but by no means the best. I can pull max slider missions and fight level 250 mobs, and roll through them like a runaway freight train with ease.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Just reminded of how stupid the daily missions are. I want to get my Engineer to level 100, so I figure I would do these to help. At 60 you get about a level and a half for completing them. The first one I took I had to bring a guy a burst of speed stim... Love the exp, but these are really stupid... Better than grinding 100% I guess, and I'm not giving Funcom $50 for a heckler Juice, so just have to suck it up.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

What's a good duo for boxing? I was thinking trader and keeper for a combination of resilience, calms, and debuffs, but I'd like also like to give NT another shot; massive AoE nukes are Good

I only ever duo for the buffs or travel, utility, but if you're able to skillfully wrangle two keyboards and play the characters at the same time, a pair of MA's are meat grinders at most levels. Speaking for myself and my inability to properly combat things with two characters at once, I love a crat/MP duo. The pets are going to be nasty, and you get the benefit of a heal pet, and some great crown control. Both of those classes are expensive though.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

please knock Mom! posted:

Keeper can have trouble keeping aggro if your other character's the squishier type, since they don't get taunts. I would suggest anything with a taunt or very good dps + a doc, crat + any dps including keeper.

If you want to play NT, imo they don't go that well in a 2box but keeper has the nano aura and is a very hands-off class, however has a tough time keeping aggro off the NT.

I read about one player who multiboxed a team of NT's but he had scripted the computer so they all did identical actions. That way he just kited everything and burned them to the ground. Sillly as hell I'm sure watching a group of NT's running around, but I guess it worked.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

They’ve all got Shades of Lucubration but when I went to check the price on outfitting them with 6 VREs I almost choked (4.5 billion credits is A Lot).

This is what we were talking about earlier in the thread. The economy on the old server is so broken now, the prices are just ridiculous. A character can't even carry that much money on them. There are items selling for dozens of billions of credits, which if you were to try and get that many credits legit, it would have taken years, or been impossible, the way the payment system is meant to work.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

One day I want to get my original-roll opifex fixer from launch into GA mk4 but omg I have no desire to grind 2 and 3, much less 4...

:ohdear:

Yeah, I have the program for GA I ready to load on my fixer, but raising the skills to use it sucks, especially if I will never spend the time getting the higher versions, which will be essential by then. Better just to use the shadow spinner program they added with Shadowlands.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

is the economy on rk2019 any better? Or, is that server still active?

The short answer is yes, but only because there are far fewer credits in circulation. But as mentioned already, the activity there is dreadful, so is it even worth playing on that server? I don't think it is.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

I got GA1 back when O1 Trade was still poppin'. I vaguely remember going through the whole quest, having to hand the pieces off to different NPCs (a bunch in Neutral territory, which I had never been to), and then just using GA1 long after I should have switched to GA2 and twinked into GA3...
:sweatdrop:

Grid Armor? Grid Armor isn't a quest, it's a rare program. You find the program disk at an extremely rare rate from any mob within the level range. I found mine after weeks fighting bloaters in Forman's Office and then created the nano program with my Engineer. That was years ago, and I have kept it in my bank. Another nightmarish technology... AO banking...

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Fewd posted:

Probably confusing with fgrid quests.

I think it's only good that rk2019 is dead. Generally speaking a sensible prerequisite for having a second server is that the first one doesn't resemble the surface of Venus when it comes to player population.

And as far as I am concerned, the new server "New Engine" didn't address anything. The game is graphically... passable, but the ancient systems in place need an overhaul, and they didn't touch those. The banking system we talked about, inventory, aggression mechanics, all of the little bugs that have haunted us for 20 years. Wrapping the game with an additional couple pixels is not the new experience I am looking for.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

tbh, even though I'm on rk5 I'm not super interested in getting to 220; rather, I'm crossing items off of my (ancient) AO bucket list.

• craft a set of VTEs
  • complete the main shadowlands quest line
  • get grid armor
  • make my own city (lol)
  • "solo" Tarasque

maybe do some dynas as well? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I still play my main character I created on the day of launch, and it was the slowest grind of any game I have ever played. Too much hanging out at Reets, or the Cup, and just enjoying the story the players were always putting together. The only questing I can remember were the quests for the sided-shoulder pads. You had to run around and kill all the robot bosses, Trash King, etc. Then when they implemented social clothing I did a bunch of those missions. Getting to 200 and then 220 was never the goal for me. I finally did get to 220, but I was 209 for a couple years before I finally made the push. The daily missions I hate did help quite a bit...

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Nosthula posted:

While shadowlands was/is a hot mess for balance I absolutely love thst they broke ga over it's knee. I have always mained a fixer and I didn't really enjoy the single dimensional game play it brought. At some point I'd love to return and finish his build. I think I only lack the beta to alpha upgrade.

And not playing a fixer until well after SL was live and the game was old, I had no idea that happened. I remember visiting the Fixer Nano shop and seeing the Shadow Web Spinner nano thing and was like "Woah... when did they do that?!!" Main Fixers must have been pissed, especially any that spent money on buying GA.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I still watch the old intro from time to time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s3kKU1PYxw

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Yeah, and if your account is old enough (several years?) you get some for free. There are 4 of them and they take you to 60, 100, 150, and 200 (each with a level requirement equal to where the previous juice left you)

How does that work? My account is as old as they get. I'll go see if I can find this.

Ah yes, in the store under "Claim Items"

Floob fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
The state of the game is pretty sad honestly. On the remaining "legacy" server, if you can even call it that at this point, OT is in ruin. It's not often you'll even see a player if you go to Omni 1. Most of them hang about in Borealis now. Old Athens is still fairly busy, but only because it's where you can travel easy and grab your daily quests.

I stopped playing on the 2019 server when it just didn't seem to catch on, but I do need to go check it out again.

I don't play nearly as often as I used to, but my play time always goes up in the winter as I get driven inside. I usually log on around the special occasions and farm social item's, and I have a few characters in levels able to make the most out of the capped dungeons. I'm the President of Whisper's Edge on the Clan side, but I've held that org alone now for years. Name in game is Swiftwing.