Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

War Eagle posted:

Not much to add on the gameplay, I remember enjoying it once the game stabilized, but didn't play that long really.

Whenever I think about Anarchy Online I always thinkabout the launch. when it came out I was working at Electronics Boutique in a mall back in my hometown while I was home from college on Summer break. The day after launch, we had a line of people outside the store when I got in, waiting on it to open. I thought I had missed a memo about a new game coming out or something. Nope, there were 20+ people waiting in line for refunds because they couldn't play the game due to lag. After the third person yelled at us for not accepting returns on opened games that had activation keys, the manager stood up on the stool we had for stocking shelves, and asked if everyone was inline to return the game, and they all said yes. He explained the no returns thing, and everyone started booing. Lots of them stayed in line anyway and tried to convince us to take THEIR return, because they had special reasons. I look back on it and smile now, but at the time I was just ready to get the hell out of that job and back to school.

My 13 year old brain rebelled by renaming my desktop shortcut "Anarchy Offline" because you basically couldnt stay logged in for the first two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Conskill posted:

My friends and I gathered outside Rome on day 1 to, to the best of our knowledge, create the first guild in-game.

Triggering the guild creation thing, of course, crashed the game.

The gameplay was extremely compelling. I loved leveling up to like 6 in the newbie yard and then walking out into Tir and immediately crash.

That said, I haven't enjoyed an MMO quite like AO in a long time. It was the last, I think, of the truly "sandbox" type games. Simplistic gameplay but things like twinking with buffs/items, the implant system, etc were all pretty deep and kept it interesting. That and Rubi-Ka was actually a really interesting setting.