Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Did vanilla Traders have a purpose outside of selling wrangles in Tir?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
yeah I'm absolutely re-subbing when the progression thingy comes out

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
also, lmao at the idea of getting grid armor. The closest you're going to get is seeing a blue dude zip by you when you're waiting to get a mission in Home or w/ever

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Char name is Trending, and I am a destitute trader squatting in the sewers. I hit people with fists it’s p cool

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
This is a lot of fun and I actually interacted with the people I was grouping with last night. All MMOs should reset themselves every 2 years

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I had issues with my account status (eg unfreezing it) and it was all solved by using the account page accessed through Funcom, rather than the account page specific to AO

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I can wrangle up to like 22 or something now? Presumably higher when I get home to level past 10 🙃

So I guess send a tell to Trending if that’s something you need?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
One of my favorite parts of AO is how loose they (used to? Still do?) play with the concept of class roles. I really miss that about MMOs; the ability to form successful groups with strange compositions that aren’t Holy Trinity based.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Whitefire posted:

I started as an enforcer, brought a group into the sewers for virgil and we got him down to like 10% before wiping. Made it to 20 pretty fast though, now to figure out how to get a good 1h blunt and upgrade some gear a bit, I never had too much experience in the game.

Kendraomega IG

Grab an illegally modified ofab of your choice. They drop from the Workman mobs in the sewer

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

nerox posted:

Are there any guides that are good for RK2019? I haven't played AO in over a decade and I am sort of lost as to what I should be doing.

Also playing Omni since most of you guys are, and I was a dirty clanner for my entire AO career.

I was in a similar boat when I tried the game again in 2015 (and then again this past week!), so here’s what’s worked for me:

(1) Kill stuff in the backyard until you get to like lvl 3 or 4

(2) Head over to the subway in ICC (every other subway location is unavailable) and murder stuff for a while. There are usually tons of people there so it’s easy to find a group if you’re having trouble surviving and or killing.
(2a) At some point you’re going to look for mobs named ‘Striking Workman’. They’re the atrox dudes wielding i-beams, so they’re hard to miss. They drop illegally modified OFAB weapons, and those are really really good. I think there’s a weapon type for just about every skill, so just grab whatever makes sense. They all require 150 points in whatever weapon skill is applicable, so it may take some doing to get it equipped (QL 10-20 implants, the appropriate general nano buff to your skill (which will be in a composite nano crystal) and maaaybe a wrangle should do it, I think)

(3) Run missions for credits. I’m clan so I head to Avalon and roll a bunch of find item / person missions that are located in Old Athen. The distance between mission terminal and mission location influences credit rewards, so try to maximize it! It’ll net you 2-3k pet run around level 10 and closer to 11k once you’re at 20.

(4) ????? Buy crystals and implants with your mission money I guess????

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Oh and I have a bag full ofab weapons that are available to any goon that needs them. My Trader is duel wielding the martial arts Ofabs and it’s absurdly, stupidly effective

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Oh and there’s a mission from a small atrox in the middle of ICC (on the platform) to kill the boss of the Subway: Absformouth. Get in a group at some point and do that mission! It gives you a nice helmet that will level up with you to 200

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

nerox posted:

Does clicksaver still work? I need to make some money for some newbie implants today and maybe finish leveling to 20 and getting an ofab SMG.

It does, but you'll need to download the correct version (the one from Github worked for me). That said, I've heard MishBuddy is better but I haven't tried it.

Statutory Ape posted:

do you have a shotgun amigo?

Maaaaaaybe? I'll check tonight.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Whitefire posted:

Goon org/channel/discord would be nice. There's several different tiers of game knowledge where AO is concerned. Also a new OP might benefit everyone a bit.

There’s an existing discord for the Games forum; we could probs just hop in there (maybe?)

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Whitefire posted:

Brief question about implants, how do people get those omni med clothes to boost treatment high enough to get the 3rd/4th tier of profession implants on? Since I'm floating in cultist bux after spending hours solo farming the temple, I figured that might be something worth looking into.

You buy them in in Omni land from any basic clothing shop. I don’t think they’re guaranteed to have every piece though so you may have to visit several terminals

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

nerox posted:

Hello friend, can you build carbonium armor?

Do you have all the parts for the QL you need? And do you have mass relocating robots? Because I think that’s all (lol) that’s stopping me from being able to make it

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Anyone want to either run some team missions or try to farm some TotW tonight? I’m going to be on in an hour or so

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

MA, fixer, adv

Agreeing and adding on to this with:

Metaphysicist might also be a good starter. It’s a pet class with group utility in the form of a pet that heals and a pet that can calm/mez. You can also build your own implants (nanoprogramming skill is light green I think?), and you have a lot of great buffs.

Martial Artist is def the class that requires the least amount of investment to be good though.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

please knock Mom! posted:

Ideally I'd go with no shadowlands but yes to perks and keepers

Same.

Also does anyone have a decent org that’s taking new members?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

That RK2019 server is a terrible idea to play on

An mmo being around in a year is like the least compelling reason to play/not play.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

idk why people think the server will actually close . the old server is done and gone

yeah If anything I’d expect Funcom to shutter the entire game first

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
great MMOs are developed with insane goals and a lot of uppers; I really felt like Funcom got that

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
All MMOs are bad, but I like this one.

keepers are sick now, my nanomage keeper mano-a-manos totw bosses with newbie gear

Are you using melee energy? If so, what are you using for low levels?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Still just 2he, went newbie sword -> illegal ofab wolf -> frost scythe -> styg -> corpse cutter -> panther

Basically just what I could find or had in my bank. I think I’m going melee energy at 151 when I can get a special edition kyr’ozch melee energy weapon. Or maybe later. 2he is performing fine, though my keeper is a fair bit squishier than a trox would be right now, and I miss the 40 2he from legchopper gloves.

Neat! Whenever I come back to this dumb game I inevitably roll a Nanomage whatever-profession. Everyone likes an enforcer with poorer health progression but earlier nano access .... right????

Oh, so what makes the Nanomage Keeper good now? I had assumed it was just the better melee energy support + nanomage Int trickledown, but it sounds like it is something else? I know there’s a weird Nanomage-only energy sword from dyna loot somewhere ....

Gato The Elder fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 2, 2021

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
God, for some reason I had assumed melee energy weapons were always 2 handed (having never even come near a profession that used the skill). Well! That’s cool to hear though, thanks for the answer!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
What's a good duo for boxing? I was thinking trader and keeper for a combination of resilience, calms, and debuffs, but I'd like also like to give NT another shot; massive AoE nukes are Good (these are subscribed accounts, and I have plenty of credits)

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I've been dual boxing (with the help of isboxer, which is complicated + great) a pair of Nano Technicians on the normal server (seems like rk2019 is dead?), so if you see Thelmah and Lhouise running around please say hi!

and my god, they've made it easy af to twink the hell out of your character. I managed, with very little effort, to put ql50 implants in at level 9. The last time I played (long ago lol) that would have taken many tedious hours of laddering; this time I just stacked neuronal stimulator, a buff item that gave 20int/psy and a pair of research bonuses. Easy peasy (although discovering the account I reactivated had half a billion credits on one of the characters probably helped 🙃)

It has been fun answering the question: "Can two lvl 14 NTs with 200 something matter creation AoE solo everything up to Abmouth?" ... the answer is Oh My Yes (but can they take Abmouth? lol no)

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I sure wish the female social clothing was more than just a textured skin suit; I look like someone spray painted my tits through a flower stencil

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah twinking is a lot easier, but player characters are also just stronger in general. If you want to kill abmouth you probably just need some outside buffs

I ended up rolling an enforcer to bring to the party. Thelma and Louise and Beckuh are ready to rumble.

They’ve all got Shades of Lucubration but when I went to check the price on outfitting them with 6 VREs I almost choked (4.5 billion credits is A Lot).

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Floob posted:

This is what we were talking about earlier in the thread. The economy on the old server is so broken now, the prices are just ridiculous. A character can't even carry that much money on them. There are items selling for dozens of billions of credits, which if you were to try and get that many credits legit, it would have taken years, or been impossible, the way the payment system is meant to work.

is the economy on rk2019 any better? Or, is that server still active?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Server's dead as hell. Everyone moved back to the old one. It was super super great when it was still new and ongoing though, with lots of active groups, people organizing 'raids' in ToTW, twinking being cool again, etc.

Yeah, I played on it from launch through level cap 60 or so? It was the most fun I’d had in an online game in almost 20 years.

I’d love to hear about the revenue that server generated; it was incredibly active in the beginning and everyone had a sub so I had assumed it was at least semi profitable? I wish they did a progression server on the regular

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

The level caps forced creativity and twinking. In the real game, getting to 220 is all that matters nowadays

tbh, even though I'm on rk5 I'm not super interested in getting to 220; rather, I'm crossing items off of my (ancient) AO bucket list.

• craft a set of VTEs
  • complete the main shadowlands quest line
  • get grid armor
  • make my own city (lol)
  • "solo" Tarasque

maybe do some dynas as well? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
just used one of my account's free 'heckler juice' rewards to get an agent capable of casting uh, basically every buff; would recommend (although not being able to cast the composite MP buffs past 'teachings' is a bummer).

I know it is going to taper off eventually, but having my NT run around at lvl 25 with 500 (I think?) matter creation is hilarious and cool ... things just explode. I was trying to ladder my way to 321 int/psy for VTEs but I think it might be literally impossible at this level; shiny treatment clusters sharing a slot with shiny intelligence clusters is rough. I think I'd need QL 85 Miy's Nano in cloak, helmet, and sleeves (would have to farm myself probably), two alien levels (sure), and QL 125 implants (uuughhh)

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Private Speech posted:

Cash shop way to get a character to 200 IIRC.

Yeah, and if your account is old enough (several years?) you get some for free. There are 4 of them and they take you to 60, 100, 150, and 200 (each with a level requirement equal to where the previous juice left you)

Gato The Elder fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 28, 2021

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

oooooooooooh!

So I can pay to twink myself?

Well, not for the character you level up. That character is going to become untwinked as they gain X number of levels and all of a sudden have truly awful gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

ModeSix posted:

Trip report:

This is slightly misleading, as it appears to be based off of :siren:how long you were subscribed since some unknown point in the past after 2015??? :siren:. Not taking into account my subscriptions from 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2015, because why would it count those? I can only get the very first 30 days basic rewards and not heckler juice which require 360 days?

Edit: Also through the rewards thing you can only get the :siren:level 60 and 100 ones:siren:, which again as mentioned require 360 days of subscription at some point after 2015 it appears.

AHHH SORRY. In my defense though, I don’t know anything about anything.