Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I was wondering when someone would LP this.

Also, is it just me or is Kingpin throwing Spidey through the air followed by him crashing through a wall or two kind of weird? I know, comics, but still!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, Arkham Origins had a ranking system, but Origins was kind of dumb in a number of ways. Like the Dark Knight system. :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"Spider-Man doesn't kill anyone in this game, we assure you." - Insomniac

"Press Triangle to pick up a manhole cover and smack a thug in the head with it." - Insomniac

:allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Isn't there a Superior Spider-Man comic where Doc Ock accidentally punched off Scorpion's jaw because he had no idea Spider-Man had to massively hold back against his enemies?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

And strange seeing him fight Spider-Man, I'm only familiar with Fisk from Daredevil stuff.

Bodying Spider-Man through walls feels a bit Rhino, but he's not a stranger to fighting Spidey.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bruceski posted:

He clearly paid good money for windows that would do exactly that.

Isn't Kingpin basically Spider-Man's real arch-nemesis in Ultimate?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought you were kidding, but apparently Spider-Man spent four months fighting a non-superpowered clown. :psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If you're talking about Spider-Geddon, there are several mentions to the ending of this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think that was Miguel O'Hara's thing. I know he had some kind of spider claws or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, he's often like that. Spider-Man even complains to Deadpool in Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe that the latter is ripping off his shtick.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

For a show where Spider-Man was literally not allowed to throw a punch, I was baffled by the fact that they were able to get away with things like Kingpin all but saying that he killed his father and even showing the lead up in flashback.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

From Jameson's perspective, s a man wearing a mask can't be held responsible for any actions because his identity is unknown to everyone but himself. So if Spider-Man messes up and it comes down on his head, who gets the blame? He could just decide to stop swinging around for a while after having caused a catastrophe.

Also, blaming Spider-Man for jailing Fisk when the police were making a move on him already is just silly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"Nazis made of bees" wound up being the most quoted line from this game, if I'm not mistaken. It's in Spider-Geddon, too. Twice.

Cythereal posted:

Huh. I'd never heard of this Swarm guy. Kinda hope he shows up in a movie now.

I think he usually fights Captain America.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Pain was an American soldier who, along with The Boss and The Cobra Unit, pretended they defected to the Soviet Union.

Might be inspired by Swarm, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

From what I understand, there's an AU where they never split up. And last I checked, they're getting back together in the main line universe, too.

It's kind of strange not seeing them as a couple for the last so long. I remember one of the first Spider-Man games I played as a kid was that old PS1 era one where Venom kidnaps Mary Jane due to shenanigans involving Doc Ock and Mysterio framing Spider-Man.

On a side note, Venom could also turn invisible in that game, which I believe makes that the only game that has ever used that ability from the comics.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I remember the Enter Electro game, where Shocker was inexplicably the hardest boss in the game. And also the first boss of the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nice comic cover! There's one shot near the end of the game that I thought for sure was comic cover worthy, so it'd be neat if you used that one.

Cythereal posted:

That was disappointing, I was expecting some kind of a boss fight, not just a brief chase used to disguise an infodump.

Surprise!

The Shocker boss fight was actually shown in a demo before the game came out, but I figured it'd be a good idea not to mention it just in case.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, the opening of the game has Peter fight some cops who are on the take.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That and it's not exactly weird for someone to have Spider-Man merchandise!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lazy Bear posted:

Behold, Spider-Cop:

Add it to the DLC.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't want to see a Marvel movie without a Stan Lee cameo. :smith:

Also, it is a hell of a thing seeing a suicide bombing in a Spider-Man game. I'm used to Batman stuff being dark, but it always stuns me when Spider-Man goes there for some reason.

I guess I'm used to those old Spidey shows where Peter almost always saves the day and no one really got hurt. Aside from that old MTV show where you had stuff like Electro electrocute a guy to death on-screen and go after several more people before Peter even found out what was happening.

Cythereal posted:

Well, that was a thing. I knew Li was involved with the Demons, but I wasn't expecting him to be their leader. I was expecting him to have been forced or blackmailed into helping them or some such. This is not a Spider-Man character I've heard of before.

Mr. Negative is one of the newer Spider-Man villains, as I recall. He's also noteworthy for turning Eddie Brock into Anti-Venom for a time when Brock got sick of Symbiotes and wanted to be a better guy. Of course, Eddie is Venom again in the comics now, though he's at least not out to get Peter anymore. For now, anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 13, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If I'm not mistaken, Peter saw Li with the Demons shortly before the explosion, didn't he? I'm not sure how concerned with stealth he is, but he didn't really seem to be trying to blend in.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 13, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As I recall, Slott was just a consultant for Li's character.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I know this is a comics setting, but I still feel like the mayor calling in a PMC to police a city is a violation of so many laws.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

For a moment, I was worried you were talking about the quality of the story.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I always wondered how Li figured Peter got in and out of his office safely given the electrified floor. :shrug:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lazy Bear posted:

You know, given how often a bad guy figures out who Spidey is behind the mask before their first proper foiling even, you gotta wonder why he doesn't just go public, or at least tell family.

Well he did go public in Civil War.

Long story short, he sold his marriage to Satan so Aunt May would survive being shot by the Kingpin.

Telling his loved ones is a good idea, though. I remember in the movies he's like "I can't be with you because my enemies would use you to get to me, Mary Jane." But the Green Goblin kidnaps her anyway and Octavius grabbed her before he even found out Peter was Spider-Man.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is why I don't think I'll ever be able to get into comics. I feel like I remember hearing the Venom Symbiote got changed into being some alien demon spawned from an Eldritch God's evil sword or something equally ridiculous.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Has Vanessa Fisk been mentioned in this universe?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Doc M posted:

Despite its appearance, the Negative Suit doesn't actually have anything to do with Mister Negative and the Demons, and originally appeared in a 1998 comic where Spider-Man ended up in the Negative Zone and his suit lost all its color.

:psyduck:

Well shoot. I thought it was from a comic where he got Neg'd or something.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 8, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Li just happens to know a poo poo ton of Asians of a specific body build that are okay with terrorist actions and fighting Spider-Man.

I guess he put an ad in the paper?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Doc M posted:

Elsewhere, we encounter the most annoying character in the game!

Yaaay

:shepicide:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Silk is the girl that got bitten by the same spider as Peter, causing them to keeping trying to bang each other every time they were in close proximity, right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"If this information gets out, it'll be terrible for Oscorp."

"So let's just put everything about it in an easy to ready PowerPoint that remains open at all times on Norman's computer."

:v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Man, I forgot how long this Mr. Negative portion of the story goes on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It took a while to get here, but the lead-up to and the encounter with Neg is pretty great.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

do NOT jack off posted:

I'm sure it's already been asked, but how huge of a weeaboo is Wilson Fisk, really?

This feels like the setup for one of Spidey's fat jokes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Doc M posted:

Not gonna lie, his rants really started to get to me during my first playthrough of the DLC. Granted, much like the rest of the DLC, the Jameson stuff in it is generally not nearly as fun as the main game and I was probably more annoyed with that than anything else, but in hindsight I appreciate how effectively the game was able to convey how draining it must be for Spider-Man to constantly be on the receiving end of that poo poo. You somehow manage to slog your way through a bunch of crap to save the day, and the thanks you get is some rear end in a top hat screaming about how the whole thing was actually your fault.

On the plus side, I think Jameson is actually aware of Peter being Spider-Man in the comics now and on good terms with him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

Does Scorpion have immunity to Spider-Sense? He seemed to get the better of Spidey a couple of times there.

To be fair, it's a 5 v 1 in cramped quarters.

cant cook creole bream posted:

What was that about? It's me I'm Vulture. :corsair:

Spidey and Electro are just shouting Rocky references at each other, with Spidey's first joke being a crack about Vulture's real name being the same as Rocky's girlfriend.

Electro gets the joke because he's voiced by a Spider-Man.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like people have been trying to tweak Miles to be more interesting in recent years, based on Spiderverse and this game, so I'm okay with that.

I just wish that Miles in this game didn't feel so blatantly tacked on. It's just kind of like "Yep, Miles is in this game."