Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Problem description: My Windows 10 computer started having intermittent bluescreens and crashes, so I figured something was slowly degrading. I replaced the hard drive and did a fresh Windows install, and it ended up stuck in a boot loop when the Windows install got to the region selection screen. Figured that the problem was somewhere else, so I also switched to the onboard graphics, replaced the PSU, replaced the RAM, replaced the motherboard, replaced the CPU, and it's still in this damned boot loop. At this point all the components are new, but the computer is still refusing to work. I took everything out of the case to make sure there isn't a shorting path somewhere, no difference. I've tried fresh installs of Windows 10 on 3 different SSDs, no difference. Sometimes the computer does boot into a USB Linux distro, but it inevitably reboots itself after a minute or two.

It does POST and I'm able to get into the BIOS reliably. The CPU/mobo temp is fine (33C). I'm about to chuck it out the window because I spent $500 on replacement parts and it's still a brick.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 or Ubuntu

System specs:
Gigabyte Z370 mobo (tried 2 copies)
onboard graphics or 1070Ti (no difference)
i7 8700 (non-K, 2 separate chips, no difference)
2x 8B sticks of RAM, tried Corsair and GSkill (no difference)
Seagate 850W PSU or Corsair 750W PSU (no difference)
tried installing OS on Samsung SSD, WD SSD, and Intel SSD, and USB booting into Linux

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If you've replaced all the parts and it's still acting up, I'd start looking at the power cable or maybe even the wall socket.
If a different cable doesn't help, try connecting it to a different socket, preferably one on a different circuit.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Good suggestion--I already tried a couple of different electrical outlets. Tried again with a brand new power cable, and still no luck.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try different peripherals. It's rare but even a malfunctioning mouse, keyboard, printer, monitor, speakers, cat5 cable (ANYthing connected) to a computer can cause oddities like this.

Also, use different SATA cables if you haven't already.

Also, try only one stick of RAM.

Worst case scenario is that one of those PSUs has gone bad and is simply frying different components as you switch them out. How old are the PSUs?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Zogo posted:

Try different peripherals. It's rare but even a malfunctioning mouse, keyboard, printer, monitor, speakers, cat5 cable (ANYthing connected) to a computer can cause oddities like this.

Also, use different SATA cables if you haven't already.

Also, try only one stick of RAM.

Worst case scenario is that one of those PSUs has gone bad and is simply frying different components as you switch them out. How old are the PSUs?

This. I had an issue years ago where my PC would hang on startup and it ended up being my USB connected mouse.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

No difference with a new mouse and keyboard. :(

I guess it’s time to take it to microcenter

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Oh drat I got confused, it's the Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/AC mobo, not the Gigabyte. Other people have reported the same problem with mutiple copies of the board. Looks like it's just a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yup, it was the motherboard. Bought a Tuf Z370, and everything seems to be working fine.

• Locked thread