Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

It’s worth going back for even if you already watched it three times through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Okay, I'm going to ask that people to explicitly stop talking about Uzumaid now, also

Terrible Opinions posted:

It wasn't.

there isn't

This however is 100% right.

This sucks, please don't post in a talking down, bullet point "this is where you're right, and this is where you're wrong" fashion, especially if you aren't going to justify those points.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's an argument that has been explained repeatedly here and in the now gassed GS thread. It's a show whose differences from literal fascist propaganda put out by the Nazis is more or less a coat of paint. Is there really a need to rehash it again?

edit: also they're praising an episode that consists of a very boring battle scene which is immediately followed by an entirely needless backfilled exposition scene on how they planned it.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 23, 2018

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't watch the new episode yet, but overall I have liked GS despite it's issues. Wisecrack lays it out the parts I like pretty well in their video on GS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SXLtltYE8w

I'm not going to defend the lovely stuff in the show. I'm just saying it's worth watching despite that if you have the patience and tolerance.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

It's an argument that has been explained repeatedly here and in the now gassed GS thread. It's a show whose differences from literal fascist propaganda put out by the Nazis is more or less a coat of paint. Is there really a need to rehash it again?

edit: also they're praising an episode that consists of a very boring battle scene which is immediately followed by an entirely needless backfilled exposition scene on how they planned it.

you hate watched every episode haha

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

you hate watched every episode haha

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Goblin Seducer

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think the girls answer to Sakura's crippling depression being "We would rather fail with you than succeed without you" is incredibly powerful

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

i dont know how to tell you this but the 'lesbians are pedophiles and sex offenders' rhetoric is an actual thing in japan that is actually taken seriously and does much more lasting damage than a fictional race being treated as evil in a way that kind of implies but doesnt explicitly name the jews/koreans/chinese/americans in the same way any fantasy story with evil goblins does. you're way too hung up on seventeen internet nutters with pepe twitter icons. major japanese politicians are not going to say goblins should be exterminated, but they have said that lesbians are pedophiles and sex offenders.

obviously major japanese politicians are also xenophobic but there's a long walk between abe's immigration policy and goblin slayer, while the 'gay people gently caress kids' and uzamaid connection is a trip down the road.
Oh poo poo never mind. That's loving worse then. Yeah gently caress that man.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think the girls answer to Sakura's crippling depression being "We would rather fail with you than succeed without you" is incredibly powerful
Yeah, that moral is very good, at the least. I just think it's executed in a way that lacks a lot of the punch it could have had.

It's not really an argument about Goblin Slayer specifically, just that it at least bothers putting on a coat of paint. There's zero recognizable difference between Uzamaid and any other lgbt propaganda that takes the 'they're all pedophiles!' angle. She isn't even a martian or elf or anything, she's literally just a lesbian woman who is a pedophile because lesbians are pedophiles. Heck, I'm no expert on the subject even though I'd like to be, but anti-gay man stuff in Japan seems to take the 'they're sick in the head' 'they're not contributing to society' angle, it seems to be specifically adult lesbians who mostly get the pedophile thing (maybe it's an expression of the whole 'they'll grow out of it' trope? They didn't grow out of it, so they must only be interested in people who still haven't grown out of it. Anyway,) which gives it an added layer of being hosed up.

I don't care if someone likes it, I'm not the cops and I think like, murcielago has some okay and funny stuff in it, but I'm not going to sit here and say murcielago is somehow more defensible than Goblin Slayer. The only reason you'd say Uzamaid is less hosed up than Goblin Slayer is because you don't think as much about or aren't as affected by the hosed up things it apparently finds hilarious.

edit: oh wait the dude i was mad at actually listened, lol. uhhh

Anyway, I don't think you're a horrible person or anything lol, just that next time something like this comes up you should probably examine your own biases and experiences and why a show that's clearly hosed up and weird isn't making you mad in the same way a different show that's clearly hosed up and weird is, because it probably has more to do with what specifically makes you mad than some objective wrongness scale.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I just view "it's a comedy don't take it so seriously" and "they're an alien/fantasy race" as more or less the same level of lovely deniability.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

Yeah, that moral is very good, at the least. I just think it's executed in a way that lacks a lot of the punch it could have had.

It's not really an argument about Goblin Slayer specifically, just that it at least bothers putting on a coat of paint. There's zero recognizable difference between Uzamaid and any other lgbt propaganda that takes the 'they're all pedophiles!' angle. She isn't even a martian or elf or anything, she's literally just a lesbian woman who is a pedophile because lesbians are pedophiles. Heck, I'm no expert on the subject even though I'd like to be, but anti-gay man stuff in Japan seems to take the 'they're sick in the head' 'they're not contributing to society' angle, it seems to be specifically adult lesbians who mostly get the pedophile thing (maybe it's an expression of the whole 'they'll grow out of it' trope? They didn't grow out of it, so they must only be interested in people who still haven't grown out of it. Anyway,) which gives it an added layer of being hosed up.

I don't care if someone likes it, I'm not the cops and I think like, murcielago has some okay and funny stuff in it, but I'm not going to sit here and say murcielago is somehow more defensible than Goblin Slayer. The only reason you'd say Uzamaid is less hosed up than Goblin Slayer is because you don't think as much about or aren't as affected by the hosed up things it apparently finds hilarious.

edit: oh wait the dude i was mad at actually listened, lol. uhhh

Anyway, I don't think you're a horrible person or anything lol, just that next time something like this comes up you should probably examine your own biases and experiences and why a show that's clearly hosed up and weird isn't making you mad in the same way a different show that's clearly hosed up and weird is, because it probably has more to do with what specifically makes you mad than some objective wrongness scale.

I just saw it as so stupidly exaggerated as to not take it seriously(still really loving weird and creepy) but yeah if it's being used to push that kind of ideology the yeah it can go into the loving kindling pile exaggerated comedy or not.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Both of them belong in the trash tbh.

On the LGBT note, at least we had Zombieland Saga this season. drat, was that good. I wonder how long it'll be until they announce the inevitable second season?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Doubler Decker ended up being pretty good. Like Tiger and Bunny, it got a lot weaker when it was having an actual plot, but it was a good time anyway.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I am actually somewhat invested in the Goblin Slayer vs. Uzamaid debate because I haven't seen either but know that both are terrible, so both are eligible for my vote for Most Avoided for the end-of-year worst anime thread.

I will say that I remember people saying that one of the scenes making it clear the maid from Uzamaid is a pedophile involves another woman her own age asking her out and the pedo maid turning her down, so I suppose the show does acknowledge that non-pedophile lesbians exist. But Endorph probably knows a lot more about anti-lesbian predjudice in Japan than I do.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

CrashScreen posted:

On the LGBT note, at least we had Zombieland Saga this season. drat, was that good. I wonder how long it'll be until they announce the inevitable second season?

Don't forget Bloom Into You.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

CrashScreen posted:

I hope not long. We still haven't gotten back story stuff on Yugiri or Tar or how Kotaro brought them back to life and we still need that awesome Super Sentai fight we saw.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's ok cuz the Cygames anime this season is gonna be gay as hell unless they inexplicably tone things down for some reason [doubtful]

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

nielsm posted:

Don't forget Bloom Into You.

There's also Akanesasu Shoujo and Anima Yell where it wasn't the primary focus of the show but it was casually there.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

To be honest, when Kotaro starts clapping the beat which then gets more of the audience to join, and then the girls join back with the song, I went "This is so drat cheesy and I love every single thing of it". Especially that shot of Ai's (or was it Sakura?) hand with the mic as she grips it. Like that one shot that has worked so well in anime where you see an open palm as it clenches into a fist. It was shounen as gently caress and I loved it. :swoon:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Doubler Decker ended up being pretty good. Like Tiger and Bunny, it got a lot weaker when it was having an actual plot, but it was a good time anyway.

it ended pretty much the only way it could end, by the cast being a bunch of lovable jerks and breaking the 4th wall over and over again

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It never quite reached the highest highs of T&B, even though at times I'd say it was funnier, but it was still a nice return to form.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Finished up Anima Yell!, it was really nice having a sports-y show where they participate in the the tournament not to win, but just for the sake of participation.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 23, 2018

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Just finished Anima Yell!, and I kinda ended up with mixed feelings about it. It felt both entertaining and empty at the same time, mainly because it felt like it was going through the motions from start to finish. Every character played their archetype to the letter, and it definitely failed to make cheerleading as a topic interesting. Still, it had enough cute moments and chortle-worthy jokes to keep me watching.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Catching up on Irozuku and I love the show, but I also feel like they missed an opportunity. They use heavily saturated colors right from the start and only swap to monochrome for short perspective shots from Hitomi to remind us she can't see color. So the parts where she suddenly sees color again don't feel that pronounced. Obviously doing most of the show in monochrome would alienate a lot of the audience, but at least a somewhat muted color pallet would have worked.

Still, another great show out of PA Works.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I wish I didn't know about this "japanese culture thinks lesbians are pedophiles" thing. I realize now I've seen it in multiple places and I don't know where the line is drawn between pseudo-motherly affection and pedophilia.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Corroborating homosexuality with pedophilia isn't a uniquely Japanese thing, sadly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Waffleman_ posted:

Corroborating homosexuality with pedophilia isn't a uniquely Japanese thing, sadly.

It's this

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is casual racism a punishable offense yet

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

There's also Akanesasu Shoujo and Anima Yell where it wasn't the primary focus of the show but it was casually there.

Also Himote House had basically an entire episode about how hosed up it is the way gay couples are treated in Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

I wish I didn't know about this "japanese culture thinks lesbians are pedophiles" thing. I realize now I've seen it in multiple places and I don't know where the line is drawn between pseudo-motherly affection and pedophilia.
Reading this post made me extremely regret expressing anything, ever.

No, it isn't 'japanese culture, as a monolith' thing. If you can reasonably read something as motherly affection, it's probably not secretly a pedophilia thing. Please stop being a weirdo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i understand this kind of thing can be confusing but here's a good litmus test:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

No, it isn't 'japanese culture, as a monolith' thing.

This should be quoted in some sort of stickied introduction-to-anime-and-ADTRW thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

This should be quoted in some sort of stickied introduction-to-anime-and-ADTRW thread.

its one of the forum rules!

anyway, what i was trying to communicate (and apparently failed at) is that japanese conservatives - a very specific branch of japanese conservative thought - brand homosexuals as pedophiles, much like american conservative thought does, but in japan the onus seems to fall more on lesbians than it does in the west, where that seems to mostly fall on men. obviously those two things get conflated and there's examples of one way or the other, but still, it's a moderately noticeable trend.

This does not mean any japanese depiction of lesbianism needs to be thoroughly examined for even the slightest hint of pedophilia, or that anything that shows a woman being motherly is actually secretly anti-lesbian propaganda. It just means that japanese media that literally, explicitly has a lesbian character be a literal, explicit pedophile is drawing on complicated and problematic history of negative rhetoric, as opposed to just existing in a comedy vacuum. I feel like 'is this character a literal pedophile' is a pretty easy thing to suss out.

And even then, there's a very wide gap between, iunno, a third year high school student/young teacher romance that's depicted as a serious relationship, than whatever uzamaid's doing, in much the same way that there's a huge gap between something like After the Rain and an otaku character that talks about how much they love lolis. You can apply a little critical thought to these things.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 24, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

its one of the forum rules!

I'm tempted to lie and reply with :thejoke:, but actually I forgot about Rule #7.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

Is casual racism a punishable offense yet
I feel like it's already covered under the umbrella that the "Hate Speech" rule the forums as a whole have, so yeah.

e: Also yeah, rule número 7.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I'm sorry. I rewrote that sentence like three times before I actually posted it to try and make sure it wasn't seen as racist (it went from Japan to Japanese people to Japanese culture). I didn't go far enough obviously but I know that every culture/country isn't some monolithic entity that should be treated as such.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Did anyone keep up with Golden Kamuy?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

i understand this kind of thing can be confusing but here's a good litmus test:

kurokowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

kater posted:

Did anyone keep up with Golden Kamuy?

I am overcoming my posting shyness to say that I did. I know it's not the best animated thing, and some of the hijinx and wackiness can be kind of off-putting (this was the issue expressed to me by a local friend), but I will continue to stay caught up if they keep making more episodes. I really need to get around to reading the actual manga.