Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

op is a coward for making spyce the thread title but not giving it a siren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

:same:

also gonna give goblin slayer a shot

if you're a normie, dont watch goblin slayer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually dont watch goblin slayer in general

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its not a parody of a school anime its just doing character setup and humor because its a shonen manga thats going to run for a decade plus

season 1 ends with their first real encounter with villains, and then the structure is usually a sort of pattern of school stuff, encounter with villains, school stuff, encounter with villains, at least in terms of stuff the anime's covered

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

My wife tells me we've been watching my witch academia.

I'm so betrayed right now.
did the fact that it had literally nothing to do with superheroes not tip you off

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

release the spyce

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sentai got bloom into you, gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you should release the spyce

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

klapman posted:

Aincrad arc is fun if a bit trashy, and has a few interesting things going on in it. The second arc was really unremarkable imo except for the final fight in the parking lot. That fight's a really clumsy slugfest cause it's happening in real life. I just rewatched it and was actually super invested even without the full context, that part rules. I haven't seen much of the third arc, but if this latest season is roughly as good as the first one I'd gladly jump in again.
there's another reallife nerdfight in the gun gale arc of sao and it involves a man being beaten half to death with a giant 1990s radio

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also watching weirdly made/written shows with friends is fine and enjoyable but i feel like its more interesting/fun to think about and talk about what the writers/animators/whatever were probably trying to do and the areas where they succeed and stuff like that than it is to go 'heh this is is SO bad' for *checks notes* 52 episodes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

gamers was a pretty decent anime though
gamers is a good anime because there was an under night in birth poster at one point

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh cool our mod's found another relationship involving two women to be weird and dismissive about, how badass. The show literally ends with the idol and the MC making out dude, lol.

klapman posted:

Alright, looks like I'm back on board. The show's at its strongest when it's showing how genuinely hosed up the SAO survivors are, and after six episodes of GGO I assumed they were just kinda done with that.
The Gun Gale arc in the main novels actually has a bit of that with the villain, yeah, and there actually is kind of an interesting quibble between how Sinon and Kirito relate to each other due to their own baggage, since Sinon's issues are kind of relevant to Kirito's SAO damage. Honestly Sinon is a much better romantic option for Kirito than Asuna, they have a lot more natural chemistry. The Excalibur arc has nothing to do with the SAO stuff but it's a fun little mini adventure, and Mother's Rosario is a bit melodramatic but the new character is really good and as much as it's become a dumb punchline because 'SAO bad' it actually handles AIDS really well, and I like that they give the girl you're supposed to feel bad for an actual real life disease with real world consequences instead of 'sad anime disease' where she's perfectly normal and happy until she keels over dead in the second to last episode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ranzear posted:

Questionable relationship dynamics definitely aren't confined to cishets.
wow thanks for this insight confucius

Wark Say posted:

:agreed:

I still kinda wish that the GGO anime had pruned a couple of things here and there, but I think that, as the story moves further away from the Aincrad story arc, you can see Kawahara try to change things for the better.
the progressive novels are real good, too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eupho finale film on April 19th. All the staff from the TV series(es) are back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

can we please not do this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an actual dog posted:

I skipped season 2 and the season 2 thread so just give me a moment.... moment over okay

watch season 2, its incredible

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

esselfortium posted:

pained laugh

so we're really going there, huh
to terrible posts land? yes, you are taking us there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Revue Starlight turned out pretty badly but also I'm not convinced that any simulsubs could have done that show justice
yeah. it's a complex, dialogue heavy show with issues with licensed songs. a recipe for death in our modern subbing culture

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ranzear posted:

This frame is interesting too. Are those dead and waiting for the Evangelion sort of 'disassembly/cleanup' thing, or are giant monsters in the distance just totally normal?
They look pretty dead, with how they're shaded. who knows, though.

I do appreciate that the existence of Gridman is literally just some guy rebooting a show he grew up watching, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the last thing revue starlight needed was rape fetishism or a more dragged out narrative

as for budget, that isnt how anime production works

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the giraffe would have just been a black guy because david cage thinks a talking black guy is as inexplicable as a talking animal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Gotta fix that birthrate.

The Colonel posted:

this meme sucks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

maybe the concept of studio loyalty and associating studios with specific shows they made as an indicator of whether the studio is good or bad when most anime studios that aren't kyoani don't have a consistent infrastructure to make their existing work an accurate basis of their output is foolish
toei has kind of a studio infrastructure also, theres some amount of bringing in outside help but they also have a ton of homegrown talent down in the precure mines

sunrise has a decent bit too, aikatsu has guys that have been in the industry for years and have basically only ever worked on aikatsu

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

People who read the light novel have described bunny senpai as darling in the franxx except 30 times worse.
could you describe what this means without using buzz words or contextless, contentless comparisons to other shows

edit: oh wait youre an idiot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

that sounds stupid
this was literally my childhood so

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

Is this going to become the new thing for the industry?
no, the show airing at 2 in the morning with a production committee that consists solely of the original manga's publishers is not going to change the anime industry

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I think the anitwitter people who around the beginning of the year were pushing Go Nagai as some kind of counter cultural manga icon were paid fat stacks from Dynamic Pro
i gotta say, all the insane takes about go nagai being a woke feminist from people who had clearly read a wikipedia article on cutie honey and not actually read cutie honey, was pretty crazy

frankly goblin slayer is way less gross than og cutie honey

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goblin slayer literally started as a 2chan meme choose your own adventure thread where a dark souls character and a dragon quest 3 priest interacted with a bunch of random anime expies while killing goblins, and there were a bunch of shitposts about goblin rape and goblin slayer's massive dick and guts from berserk showing up to give goblin slayer a thumbs up, and all of that was basically carried 1:1 into the web novel. and thats literally the core of the franchise

whos your favorite goblin slayer character mine is lancer from fsn

anyway that A) owns and B) also kind of explains why the entire thing feels so poor at worldbuilding and so juvenile

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

chaos dragon turned out to be terrible, no?
it was v. bad especially since most of the player characters were barely in it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I hear that Conception is weirdly tame for a show with that premise. Like, they make kids by combining their auras into some kind of magical egg rather than banging or something.
did you think the show was actually about loving and then girls having tons of actual pregnancies and giving actual birth to kids

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

conception is worthwhile just for the gag in conception 2 where all the girls get mad at the protagonist and wont make more magic babies with him and the dumbass male best friend character goes "Bro... don't worry.. I'll take their place." and the scientist lady goes "It won't work with two men," and the dumbass guy goes "Well, no harm in trying."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Agronox posted:

that is exactly what i thought

DisDisDis posted:

the bit I caught of the moral panic that happened when that game came out *checks watch* while I was in kindergarten heavily implied this was the case

the game its an anime of is rated the jp equivalent to T, which is lower than stuff liker nier and dangan ronpa. the game's honestly a really soft cero c too, they could make the exact same game and just cut out the vague pregnancy innuendo and get an E10 equivalent. It's level of 'comic mischief' is on the same level as, like, my hero academia.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 10, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

before anyone asks why i know so much about this game, my ex was really into the two-tone hair girl from conception 2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nazgul posted:

I wish I could make things better than they are.
you ever think about like, writing the trailing last words of a indie sadboy rap album

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Julias posted:

Also Yama no Susume (Encouragement of Climb)!
epic this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gridman is a pretty obscure (relative to like, godzilla or power rangers) show that never really bloomed into its own huge franchise. It's a love letter to the original, but it's also a love letter to kaiju and tokusatsu in general. The only reason it's specifically Gridman is because the director loved Gridman as a kid. There's some callbacks, like the designs of the computers, but it doesn't seem to be any kind of direct sequel.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 11, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the first senkags anime was crappy minus the mirai gif so iunno why anyone would have had high hopes for this one

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xomCSv3HqHY

is it this gif

cause if the new anime produces one like it, it's worth it
okay, it produced two good gifs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh, the thematic use of roads/paths in the film's photography/direction was really clever, id say it has some visuals worth thinking about in terms of how they tell a story on their own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

whens the girls frontline anime