Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What I'm hopefully watching:
  • JoJo Gangstars! (Westside? Westlife?)
  • Bears, Ainus and Violence!
  • Sumo Boys!
  • Shoujo Manga Girls!
  • Tiger and Bunny, but not really, well sorta but, like, a prequel?
  • UROBUTCHER, SAWANO AND TAIWANESE PUPPETS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Super Jay Mann posted:

I don't care how strong the staff is, I can't imagine a scenario where a show with that description turns out to be anything but what it says it will be.

That is, gutter trash.

(Where is my Love Lab S2 dangit you're killing me here)
Same, but Nozaki-kun. I can't read the manga without hearing any of the voices. Especially Chiyo's.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I especially liked the Mexican kid trying to read like AMLO with the "I didn't understand sh*t but I'm so happeh!"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:roflolmao:

You're alright, Turtlicious.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
From the way people have written about it itt (or better said, previous iterations of this thread + the general chat thread), it seems like every "Isekai or Fantasy Web/Light Novel" but instead of slavery or harems, it's about goblins being horrifying little shits in very explicit, very tasteless detail.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not that invested in SAO: Alicization, tbh. Though that may be in part due to the fact that I already read the whole arc that's getting adapted and have no interest in seeing "if there's anything different/memorable about the anime adaptation". Same kinda goes for Index and most of what's left to adapt from the Monogatari novels.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
  • Watching bad movies with friends is fun.
  • Watching bad anime OVA's/movies with friends equally as fun
  • Watching bad series with friends seems like a recipe to :sever:
  • Watching Gamers! with friends was fun and cool and dumb.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

gamers was a pretty decent anime though
But everyone is SO dumb. To increasingly sillier levels. :mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

For the people who read SAO how does this part rank relative to the others?
I'm gonna preface this post by saying that I haven't read this arc in 2 years and that I'm currently unable to give any notations due to the fact that my daughter has all my SAO novels. She also has all my Chaika and Boogiepop novels but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Overall, I'd say it's definitely less crappier than ALO and mostly better than GGO (meaning the Kirito/Sinon arc, not the one focused on Pink Murder Rabbit girl and her "harem" of beautiful social maladroits), but it still went on for longer than it should've and you could potentially cut 1/3 of the volumes in content at minimum and you'd still more or less get the same catharsis. Currently, out of the 20 "Mainline" SAO novels available in Japan, it lasted from volumes 9 to 18. That's half of the current publication life of this series.

The Alicization anime that's scheduled to start airing in 9 days will supposedly cover all of it through a 48-to-52 episode, 4-cour "odd/even" season schema (i.e. You get to watch Kirito's adventures on a weekly basis through October-December, but you get to rest on January-March and so on, or at least that's what we know).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly don't think she wants anything to do with anybody except the grenade-launching enthusiast, hence the quote around "harem", (spoilers for the show) since she's sorta stuck with the crazy idol and the idol's stalker. :cheeky:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For reals, though: She's the best.

:allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

oh cool our mod's found another relationship involving two women to be weird and dismissive about, how badass. The show literally ends with the idol and the MC making out dude, lol.
That was a piss poor choice of words on my end and I'm sorry for that coming out wrong. It's not so much the two women relationship thing that bothers me (which it doesn't; at all) so much as the fact that (heavy spoilers for the show/novels) Elsa/Pitohui is rock-gently caress insane. Like, borderline Laughing Coffin/Death Gun murder-happy, and she was genuinely saddened and inconsolable due to the fact that she missed out her chance to kill people/get killed in Aincrad. And Gosho's main fear is not so much that he's going to die, but that if he gets killed, he cannot enable/sorta protect Elsa anymore. That's where I was coming from. Not so much on the Karen/Elsa relationship as portrayed in the anime , though that too sours somewhat in the novels due to Elsa herself.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:agreed:

I still kinda wish that the GGO anime had pruned a couple of things here and there, but I think that, as the story moves further away from the Aincrad story arc, you can see Kawahara try to change things for the better.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

the progressive novels are real good, too
I kinda want to get into the Progressive novels at some point, but I know that Kawahara is going for the slow burn on those, so I'd rather just wait until he's done with them before jumping into them.

e: Ir spellz gud

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It always warms my heart to see a totally radical bro-fist. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

fourth, you mean. Trigger has done three good shows
LWA, Luluco, Inferno Cop, Turning Girls. Fifth, maybe?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

e: Starlight needed another 35 episodes and a budget and David Cage doing punch-up on the writing while on French acid.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hell yes! I'm ready for hot-blooded chunky powerhouses sports shounen!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

This is the thing, yes, hello? :raise:
Forget it, Julias: He's rolling

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so happy, the first few bars of "Colors" started playing in my head.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zetsubou-san posted:

That was a drat strong first episode that that I feel Wark Say should watch for various reasons.
I'll watch it tonight, then. Trying to sleep, but I'm failing miserably. :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OK, Zombie Land Saga EP. 1 Trip report:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDaDEi9KF0E

Zetsubou-san posted:

That was a drat strong first episode that that I feel Wark Say should watch for various reasons.
I never knew I needed full-on ham performances out of Mamoru Miyano outside of like Okarin Hououin Kyouma, but here we are. I wanna see Death Musume next episode REPRESENT!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

People who read the light novel have described bunny senpai as darling in the franxx except 30 times worse.
Really? It's from the Pet Girl of the Sakura Dorm and Gundam IBO Steel Moon guy, so I thought it'd be decent in that "don't rock the boat" kind of way.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hinomaru Zumo was ok, but I don't know if I'll stick with it. Seems like it's going to follow on the steps of Kuroko, only with chunky boys.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1048599746372202497

I don't know how the slow, uneventful therapy show about quietly camping with your friends blew up like Yuru Camp has, but I'm sure glad it did.

Stop the presses!

Ok, I'm good. Carry on.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

Yeah I figured that wouldn't really be newsworthy to anyone here. The secret is that there's multiple Accel spinoffs. The best one is the 4koma where Accel is an idol
Wait, Idol Accelerator? :aaa:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Coaaab posted:

Speak for yourself, the build-up to the ending of the original devilman manga is still one of the most haunting things I've ever read in the medium
I kinda think Nagai's art works for the most part to amplify the horror of Devilman. (yes, spoilers for a two-score old manga, I like to be careful) Taro and Miki's deaths still loving haunt me, even after over a decade since I first read it.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

go's ultraviolence aged well, but his sexual violence did not. it's gross and off-putting nowadays.
:agreed:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Expect My Mom posted:

jojo has face licking, turning suitcases into frogs and getting your body unzipped in the first episode are you not entertained
:yeah:

Plus Koichi getting Three-Freeze'd! It's like the OraOras and MudaMudas were never necessary. We had them in our hearts all along.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mentat Radnor posted:

Yeah, and it was good, but it was explicitly set in medieval France, on Earth. I would call it something like Supernatural Historical Fiction(?) rather than Fantasy.

Oh drat you're absolutely right, I loved Lodoss War as a teenager and I forgot to watch Grancrest. I'll fix that!
Do it. It's an absolute blast and if anything, I'd say it's one of the better "D&D/Sword World campaign adapted as a novel/manga/anime". It's probably better than Lodoss and probably up there with stuff like early Slayers.

Also, is The Devil is a Part-timer! the only "reverse-isekai" that's gotten popular?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Knorth posted:

What was that one that was literally some manga authors' tabletop campaign together?
Chaos Dragon? The one with characters created by Narita, Urobuchi and Nasu?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mentat Radnor posted:

Oh wow, that's high praise to my ears!

There's that recent one with the chill generic Japanese restaurant that lets in folks from other worlds, does that count? It was kinda nice.
Restaurant to Another World, right? Yeah, that was pretty chill. :3:

dogsicle posted:

the other big selling point to Grancrest is it's directed by the same guy who did Rakugo, and despite some production issues late into the run it looks consistently great either due to layouts or animation.
That's pretty cool! Also, and if I'm not mistaken, the anime more or less covers the (ten) novels in it's entirety, doesn't it?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Grancrest was by no means perfect, but honestly? At first I was hesitant because I felt that it was going to get a treatment similar to SAO, Index or series adapted from LN's and just have the pacing take these glacial steps that take forever to go places. So, while it certainly did go by at quite the clip and could've used 26-to-28 episodes instead of the 24 we got, it did resonate enough with me that I would recommend it. Also, Theo x Siluca are very cute. :kimchi:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Actually, sorry if wrong thread but is there any feel-good anime in the recent past, like A place further than the universe?
Laid-back camp / Yuru Camp, my good fellow! It's currently battling with the aforementioned A Place Further than the Universe as my AOTY. It's in Crunchyroll too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Expect My Mom posted:

Monthy Girls Nozaki-kun is my go to feel good show, but that's an outright comedy
I wish I had a big version of the "Do it for her" with Mikoshiba, but every version I find is really small. :negative:

But yeah, Nozaki-kun is FAN-drat-TASTIC. Also ditto to Space rec'd Harukana Receive a show that, despite the heavy fanservice, was still super well-realized for the most part. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Was early on in the write up for my own version of the thread, but you got it made faster. Thanks!

Sharkopath posted:

Posting about it here or anywhere else is now illegal.
:yeah:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No worries, compadre. That got its own thread so that whoever goons are into that particular show can discuss it at length.

One show I've seen mentioned a lot is Gridman and, while I know the basics (it's a revival of sorts from a 90's Toku show), I'm somewhat concerned: Do I need to have any knowledge on the OG Tokusatsu show or is it completely its own thing?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, then I'm in!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds like a crust punk a little bit too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, can I mention just how much I dig that the MC in Hinomaru Sumo is this shorty 15-year old Sumo kid who uses "Washi" / 「儂」? Because that's cute as heck. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
WSJ Sports Boy Gap Moe peaked early with Sakuragi.