Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ccs posted:

The state of anime reviews is just generally terrible. At least the ANN writers can string a sentence together.

How so? Mind you I don't pay attention to any of this poo poo beyond seeing what some may say about shows that I like or follow and get most of my recs from my own group elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

digibro is the most popular anime youtuber and unironically thinks that the path forward for the anime industry is for them to be supported entirely by patreons and the profits from previous anime series, with zero producers involved, and he pointed to trigger's patreon as an example of this

it costs approximately 2.5 million dollars for a single 13 episode season of anime (obviously costs vary wildly, but if you aren't licensing songs and aren't paying any huge VAs or shelling out for fancy CG or anything. imagine, like, a talky average light novel anime costing that much. like bunny girl this season, that probably cost about that much)

trigger's patreon makes approximately 10 thousand a month

therefore, it would take about 25 years for trigger's patreon to fund a single 13 episode anime, assuming that they didn't spend a single cent of it on anything else, ever.

This dude legitimately sees this as the future of anime and anything else as clinging to a dying and unjust system.

Also he thinks A-1 is satan because they made sword art online, and tons of other people are equally convinced that A-1 Pictures is bad, because they made a couple of anime they don't like.

This is the level of sheer misinformation and stupidity that your average western anime fan is sold as 'incisive commentary.'
I dunno about most popular though since I think he trails guys like gigguk, Mother's Basement, and The Anime Man, but I am starting to see the issue with how they grade somethings after reading the review for Slime episode 10. Out of all mentioned though, Digibro is pretty much the only one to give GS the absolute poo poo Thrashing it deserves from what I've seen. But yeah, there just seems to be so much...vacuum in them. Like they'll review anime, but only as it measures within the medium, but never outside of it, but have no issue using outside of medium comparisons when something problematic comes up.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Elephant Parade posted:

so I googled Theron Martin and

Oh, you're a "fantasy" person? I'm more of a "sci-fi" person, myself. At least you're not a "mystery" or "romance" person; I hate those guys

Why is it even in parentheses? As an aside, I don't pay much attention to studios and whatnot and I dunno about A-1, but their Wotakoi adaption was really good.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 4, 2018

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

StandardVC10 posted:

I used to watch a whole bunch of stuff (all of Hidamari Sketch, K-on, Mushishi...) on Hulu, then they got rid of most of it. Now I guess they're getting a bunch of other stuff? Streaming is way too confusing for a lazy rear end in a top hat like me.

I remember when K-on was still new and people used to bash it for being moe blob or some poo poo? Never watched it, but want to and I always had a soft spot for it and shows like it for their nice SoL atmospheres along with the impact it had on a lot of kids in Japan to want to take up guitar and music in general.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

StandardVC10 posted:

I have some theories as to why K-on gets a different reaction now vs. 2009-2010 but they're probably stupid and wrong.

Read the old SA thread on K-on and you can watch the reaction to it evolve in real time, it's pretty wild.

Legit curious so post or PM if you don't want to derail.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Silver2195 posted:

Part of it was probably the Zorak-era ADTRW culture of trying really hard not to appear creepy, but to be fair to the detractors, the original manga was published in a seinen magazine, so the idea that it's aimed at lonely 40-year-old men doesn't come from nowhere. I've been told that there's a subtle difference in tone between the anime and the manga that leads to the anime having more female fans.

Not a hundred percent sure if that shouldn't be a too much of a factor since doesn't Yotsuba also run on a Seinen magazine? I've always taken that to mean that it wouldn't appeal to the Shounen demographic in that it lacks the usual action beats and other stuff associated with the demographic genre. Point still makes sense though.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 5, 2018

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

'seinen' is a really vague demographic even by demographic standards. houseki no kuni runs in a seinen magazine too and near as I can tell the japanese fanbase is almost entirely women in their 30s.

And, well, the K-On anime is significantly different from the manga, yeah. It isn't just a 'subtle tone' thing, the character designs are significantly different, a lot of the jokes were just made-up for the anime, a lot of the episodes (especially in the second season) are almost entirely original.

There's actually a chart comparing just how much of the manga is even in the anime. The answer: not a whole lot.

What do Berserk, Space Brothers, and Yotsuba have in common? They're all Seinen. Yeah that's so loving weird to think about.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

the thing about seinen is that Josei is a really, really narrow 'demographic,' unlike a lot of other stuff. Vinland Saga has a lot of female fans too but I've never seen anything like it run in a josei magazine, while you can find plenty of josei-esque down to earth romantic dramas/romcoms that ran in seinen magazines. So anything that's for adults and isn't obviously josei tends to wind up running in a seinen magazine.

Yeah I've noticed that. It's just sort of bizarre. Granted Shounen is similar with stuff like One Piece and Taisho Otome Otogibanashi both being Shounen in spite of the latter being REALLY shoujo with how romcoms framed it is.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Ok after reading a poo poo load of posts about various shows one here, I feel compelled to share some info I got from a source in China that posts on reddit for an anime we both enjoy about some of the anume this season.

Gridman and Zombie Land are selling STUPID well in pre-orders and clearing the 10k mark...each. There will likely be more stuff on them like tie in games.

Everyone's favorite rape anime is selling well on that front at am average of 3 to 5k and seemed on top over at Amazon in terms of the sales for the manga and LN. It gets complicated though since according to him, they used an all-star VA cast which was expensive and while the series got a HUGE boost due to the controversy, it largely seemed to peter off or at least not sustain from how he described it.

Now on to Slime.

It's BD's are roughly the same as Rape Show...While priced 2 to 3 times as much. The manga received some MONSTER bumps putting it on 9th place for highest selling series for Calendar year 2017 to 2018 and in the preview for the anime that was posted 8 months to a year it listed a current lifetime sales of 4.5 million. That is now 7 million total copies sold. Then there's the mobile gacha style game which is pretty much printing money and numerous deals with hundreds of companies about merchandise and licensing similar to how One Piece has been used to advertise products like Shick Razors or Gucci. So yeah I'd say it's doing pretty well for itself. I'll post more details as I sift through them including how the series came to be and his more in-depth numbers.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Bunny Senpai got brought up and he listed his thoughts on that as well.

quote:

First of all, people need to understand BGS is not a “new” or “astounding” or “mind-blowing” take of rom-com to Japan as there is a sea of rom-com novels, light novels, visual novels, manga, tv dramas, and movies exist that have mixed elements, “Sakuta”-like MC, along with romance and comedy. It is “done to death” in the past 20 or so years.

The 1 dude many girls to save formula, even in h-games, gal-games and adult anime sometime have similar story with sex added to the mix. You also get all sorts of personalities “mai” like, “futaba” like, etc. Chemistry between characters are good but it doesn’t sell to well too female non casual audiences (a very important demographic of the sub culture) in general in Japan. Waifu yes, hasbandio null.

With the anime, BGS gained publicity and new fans to push the sales of LN for around 3 weeks to a month with good numbers (you can check oricon chat of October and November on ANN) but the overall sales is still limited as those newly interested in rom-com actually has a lot choices from across different media, from classic to recent hits such as Oregairu, and the existing rom-com fans either already read it or not hooked enough to spend money on it (i.e., it does its job as usual fair of tv drama material, nothing more nothing less).

BD/DVD preorder is doing a good job floating in the top 4~6 of this season with 5K~6K estimation currently. Top is ZLS and Gridman with over 10k estimations.

I’d say it has completed what it sets out to do (a good LN advertisement) with flying color (good BD/DVD sales). It is refreshing to see this kind of material in anime format but it is only refreshing, not groundbreaking, didn’t sell the waifu enough, and didn’t reach the female non casuals with just 1 dude whose some actions can be seen as rude and inappropriate (i.e., he is not attractive to the female fujoshi....).

This is one of the shows having “JoJo situation” if that make sense.

Basically it's seen as unremarkable due to it being a formula that's been done to death over there in Asia in general which I can sort of attest to in that Rom com stuff like this I remember seeing lots of as far back as...Jesus '10 maybe earlier? The weird supernatural stuff is different, but the formula is pretty much the same.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Okay here are the numbers for Slime.

quote:

Below are copied from my comment in another post but might as well do a post on this for people who are interested.

Personally I’d say the series is doing quite well compared to many other anime of this season, financially. With the amount of ¥ they are currently printing from this series I’d say the production committee is not letting this one go any time soon.

Below are some information I gathered from various forums, official news, online merchants, and personal experience:

Firstly, the “less” profitable items:

An official report of manga and LN selling like crazy banking 77.3 mil ¥ just in October alone. This includes the ~18mil ¥ from new volume releases (manga + LN) of October, which means the backlogs are selling great.

At one point there were reports of Koudansha falling behind on reprint of earlier volumes of the manga due to demand spike.

To give an idea on what the above figures means, SSSS.Gridman and Zombieland Saga both have over 10k BD preorder outselling everything this season, but the combined revenue of these 2 are less than what Slime earned just from the less profitable products.

Keep in mind I didn’t count the various merchandises from these 2 shows and they are original animations, and they are doing absolutely fantastic in the BD/DVD sales. I love both ZLS and Gridman so don’t get me wrong and this is just for the sake of comparison of media related sales.

Now to the “main” profitable items:

Limited and/or preorder merchandise (ranged from 1K¥ to 10K+) are selling out left and right before the preorder deadline.

The ichiban kuji (lucky draw) vol. 1 (680¥ per draw) back in June had fans whaling it (around 48000¥) for the entire lot. Vol.2 coming out soon and I am sure the same will happen again that leaves me with nothing to paid for by the time I can visit the shops.

The gatcher capsule toy (300¥ x infinity) which I now have a complete set after idk ~4000¥? Suggest to just buy the full set online which is a lot cheaper.

The commercial deals with various companies in different industries (life insurance, public bath house/ onsen, food chain, cafe, wine maker, etc).

The crappy cash grab gatcher mobile game with mini characters walking around town I can watch all day....30000¥ iTune cards gone....and still missing the 6* Rimuru sama.

And the adorable alarm apps (750¥ x 5) with many anime voice lines. The Rimuru (w/ Great Sage) version alone already sold 7.7K on App Store.

I missed out some others. Sure it is not LoveLive or IdolM@ster or DBZ or One Piece or even SAO, AoT level of profits but it sure has potential to be the next big goldmine.

Now please give me the PS4 SlimeVile Builder RPG, I need to recreate Tempest and fight Demonlords!

chiasaur11 posted:

There's been a few more deaths

Like the youtubers but for the most part, it's low fatality, and any deaths that happen are given weight.

The deaths in the first episode have still been repeatedly brought to the forefront, despite them also being a reference to a running gag in Transformers comics.

As for Bunnygirl, I'm not surprised. It never struck me as revolutionary. Just really solid execution of the form, with a fun dynamic between the leads. Glad it's doing well and Gridman's doing great. Hopefully, they'll both come to a strong conclusion.

Yeah he mentioned that Sakuta would NOT be popular AT ALL with women in the slightest since the things he says would be HUGELY rude and would land him in the hospital so that's a demo that's no interested.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 7, 2018

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

chumbler posted:

Being woken up by an oni secretary who could destroy you...

I'm surprised at how much money slime seems to be printing from merch, but I guess they really invested in it.

From the same guy as the info.

quote:

I think part of it is due to Rimuru is not a self insert character. For me, after following the WN (I ignore bad writings) my impression is I would gladly have Rimuru be my boss or work in his country.

The story has a slow start and anime format skipped most of the inner thoughts and bantering between Rimuru and Great Sage. But his personality (inner) is really relatable as norma office worker / middle management (not the cruel ones) position in his 30s.

Eastern culture (I am Chinese) sometime enjoys slow life and some mild adventures (not grand ones) especially those lives in busy and crowded cities.

Slime has both as Rimuru is not the hero or overlord, just a passive aggressive king / monster boss who wants to enjoy life and tries to make sure his followers and friends are also enjoying their. He is not seeking out the adventures and it’s quite enjoyable to watch him struggle with all the troubles coming his way due to leading a society of monsters.

I’d say people might have a misunderstanding of this series based on the isekai tag, but this is not the usual kind of power fantasy or harem or ecchi or a grand plot. It is about the interactions between some interesting characters (not only with the main cast of MC) and how these interactions and decisions affected the world down the timeline of the series.

In Japanese and Chinese fandom of this series, many will agree they came looking for isekai story but stayed for the characters and the world it built around them.

Simply put, Rimuru is a nice relatable guy. He's not an HS neet or adult failure, he's not angsty/angry or nihilistic minded about how life is meaningless, he's just a normal adult man living a normal adult life that he's happy and satisfied with before dying and post death he simply wants to kick back and relax and take things easy while making a world like that for his people. Think of the series as more of an SoL Isekai that has moments of action and adventure in a great big JRPG world.

Edit: This not to say there won't be grand plots and epic battles and poo poo. Just that those aren't the constant like in most other shows of the genre. Things are actually gonna pick up now with a sort of snowball effect. Think like the Ennies Lobby arc from One Piece where their actions there had repercussions on stuff later on for better or worse.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 7, 2018

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Space Flower posted:

the LN and manga were already really popular and the anime just boosted them even further. volume 1 of the LNs came back onto the charts last month and has over 100k in sales (other volumes are close to that). meanwhile, each manga volume has approaching half a million units in sales.

total manga volume sales in a year: 3.46 million

It's very important to note that Slime is the only manga on that list that isn't a monthly and and thus released only 4 volumes for that Calendar year.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Space Flower posted:

that might be important to note, if it were true. the manga runs in a monthly shounen magazine and 6 of its volumes have been released in the survey period for the above data.

also, several of those on the list are weekly running manga.

poo poo. Typing on phone. Meant to say what you said. loving auto-correct. But yes, Slime is the only monthly on there. I had checked on it's release and I think it only released 4 volumes for that year period according to the info on Wikipedia for its releases.

Edit: Yeah the calendar year starts in Late November according to ANN so that would only be starting with volume 6 that released in December of last year to volume 9 that released on September. Volume 10 I think got released, but I don't know if it did so for the time table to be included in this year.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 7, 2018

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Space Flower posted:

I thought you might've meant that, but Attack on Titan is monthly so I wasn't gonna assume it. I get what you want to say though, it's hitting way above its weight class.

AoT is a monthly? I checked it's link on ANN and I could have sworn it was weekly. Checked, nvm. It's monthly. It's spin-off is weekly and he HAD offered it for the weekly. Jump had turned it down which I find kind of funny. Whoops.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Stand Alone Complex avoiding the pitfalls of making a sequel to popular movie sure is getting made up by every GITS project since than being awful

I think it helped by it being more a series of police procedural stories with an overarching plot similar to how the OG manga was structured rather than one big movie event of sorts. With GITS, EVERYONE seems to be trying to recapture the effects of the movie when poo poo like that is drat near impossible to do.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fangz posted:

No Shield Hero Discourse Allowed

Not even to mock it and take rhino sized dumps on it? Also glad to see It's My Life on there.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

dogsicle posted:

staff i guess
also CR has been on a tear promoting the show for like a month already, which will def lead into a lot of people stumbling into the show just because

Julias posted:

If people liked and talked up Goblin Slayer, you bet people will like and talk up Shield Hero.

The more I've thought about it, the more I'm 100% convinced that Crunchyroll intentionally misled people about Goblin Slayer since like Shield Hero now, don't they have some kind of stock in it? And yes, CR is one of the people footing part of the bill on Shield Hero hence their endless pimping of it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she totally deserved that, because she did the greatest crime imaginable in the minds of broke-brained internet misogynists: a false rape accusation

shield hero is vile and no one should ever watch it. it openly supports pedophilia as the alternative to LYING WHORE BITCHES aka adult women who aren't slaves.

I can't/couldn't let that one go. The whole slave thing was...not cool, but stuff like that gets done so often that I can sometimes stomach it, but the loli stuff made it a huge red flag. But that one...that one was just impossibly, and indefensibly hosed up. Like, why is there even a loving king like that? Like WTF?!! Or how can you even maintain ANY kind of moral high ground after sending her to him. Like yeah she was a terrible person even without the false rape thing, but loving REALLY?!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ViggyNash posted:

Oh boy has it been a minute since I've been here to talk poo poo about anime and have meaningless internet arguments about dumb anime poo poo.

Speaking of which I see the Goblin Slayer thread has been gas chambered already. I would have been surprised if it wasn't.

What's the hot thing these days? Already caught up on Goblin Slayer, Gridman, and some of Bunny Girl Sempai, and planning to check out the slime show.

I definetly rec Slime, Wotakoi, Asobi Asobase, Chio's School Road, Zombie Land Saga, Hinamatsuri and everything else Ibblebibble rec'd.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ViggyNash posted:

Holy poo poo Asobi Asobase is 100% Daily Lives of High School Girls. And that ed...

I love the massive contrast between the opening and the ending.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1075273027271585792

MHA is starting a lot later next year. Gotta let the manga breathe.

Semi related, but I can see the same happening to Slime if they decide to roll out the next season soon after this one ends to maintain momentum. I could definetly see it getting pushed into Spring or even Summer of 2020 to let the manga breath since Kodansha doesn't went it to nip at its heels.

Edit: Top Selling Media Franchises for 2018

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-12-19/top-selling-media-franchises-in-japan-2018/.141064

SLIIIIME!

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 20, 2018

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Crunchyroll will be hosting dubbed episodes of Shield Hero the same day they air in Japan.

That's better than what it deserves. I do have to admit, Crunchyroll knows it's market PERFECTLY well hence a previous post about the GS fiasco being a completely intentional and calculated move.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

How did Shield Hero get so big, anyway? I feel like the 'isekai with terrible gender politics' market should be kind of oversaturated by now.

Not sure how big it actually is though. Like dogsicle said, yeah it's been going on for a while and has a bunch of spinoffs, but I don't recall it being this massive thing in any of its mediums. Got a lot of good rep some years ago, but that was some years ago. It's been getting some buzz, but along with it some revival of its more controversial aspects so who knows. Either way, the nerd incel market is eternal.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason it seems so big right now is Crunchy's heavy marketing for it, and I think they're on the production committee, so yeah.

Yeah I know about that and it loving pisses me off. Like, why not back stuff like Gridman, Zombie Land Saga, Slime, Promised Neverland, or any of the other great shows running and upcoming? Why go for the worst crap? Rhetorical question since I'm already fairly sure why, but it still infuriates me and depresses me about the fandom.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Julias posted:

It has a lot of marketing going into it, but from what I've heard over the past year, shield hero was a pretty popular light novel series and helped bolster the boom of them over the past half-decade, though idk how true those claims are.

Very true. I do remember it being repped a lot some years ago, but the same could apply to several others like Moshuko Tensei, Arifureta, and others. I do remember Shield Hero moving out of the pack more, but can't recall the specifics or why.

chumbler posted:

Rimuru is living his best life, and helping those around him do the same.

I'm so sad that we won't get to the LN4 and most definetly the LN5 stuff. And yes I 100% agree. According to my source guy, that was a MAJOR catalyst to its popularity. The LN details it better, but Rimuru is very much not a self insert. Like yes you would like to BE him, but not in any different way you'd want to be protagonist of any other show or game, but would greatly settle for just working with him in some capacity. He has likes, dislikes, doubts, virtues, and failings one of which that the manga and anime gloss over is that for a big chunk of LN's 1 and 2, he's still mentally rather condescending to his monster people. Not in a racist "these people are beneath me" but more, "they're pretty good/smart for monsters" and stays a somewhat distrustful of them for a bit. This is largely gone by LN3 and even more so in LN4 with it being COMPLETELY gone in 5. The fact that the series also has a nice easy going pace with some instances of action and adventure have also made it very appealing to people.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

I mean, it's not about 'the fandom,' all the things you just listed are insanely popular, way moreso than shield hero. crunchyroll is promoting shield hero heavily because it has a stake in it. the fandom has no impact on that.

Yeah I know. It just pisses me off that out of all the great shows to buy into they picked THAT one.

an actual dog posted:

Slime show rules actually, it's so loving nerdy and detailed and it feels luxurious

Read the LN's they're all of that, but more of it including Gobta's Big Adventure.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

its a lot more reliable than 'goblin slayer must be insanely popular because Anime Fans Are Bad', and 'zombieland saga is unpopular (even though it isn't) because Goblin Slayer exists'

I don't think anyone is saying that, but more that it's more popular than it has any business being so likely due to the controversy that was likely cause intentionally by CR for that specific purpose. The discussion though was more about how Crunchy seems to buy into and sponsor stuff like Shield Hero when there are so many better options. In any case,

With no context, here's a picture of Rimuru in a Bunny Outfit.

Behold. The REAL Bunny Senpai!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
For the popularity thing, you also need to consider places like Reddit and bootleg rip sites like Kissanime.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

I mean, that's hardly the only kind of anime they've been involved in. Some random examples of other anime they've been a producer on:

A Place Further Than The Universe
Ancient Magus Bride
How To Keep A Mummy
Yuru Camp
Recovery of an MMO Junkie

Fair point. It's just frustrating I guess since this coming season has some promising looking stuff. Now back to Rimuru in a Bunny Outfit.

Behold. The REAL Bunny Senpai!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Davincie posted:

crunchyroll helped fund kemono friends and now season 2 will be a corporate hellhole, no coincidence there if you ask me. if you have any moral backbone at all you'd have cancelled your subscription already

What's the story there?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

AnoHito posted:

Kemono Friends season 1 basically ended up being insanely popular despite just about every possible disadvantage being thrown at them. They of course looked at the people who pulled off that minor miracle, and decided it was fine to fire them. And then pull a bunch of total dick moves when people asked "what the hell" like forcing the VAs to apologize for them.

Season 2 has...not looked like it's going to be so great

What the gently caress man? Was that Crunchyroll? Dude what the gently caress man? I'd be ALL OVER that poo poo to keep those guys onboard anyway I can.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Crunchyroll wasn't the ones who fired them. They were just a producing party. Kadokawa is the owner of the IP, main producer, and Japanese distributor, and were the ones who fired Tatsuki and the rest of Yaoyorozu after they did a short film on their own with some of the characters.

My heart briefly stopped when I read that as Kodansha(Slime's secondary producer) and got worried. But all is good now. That loving sucks though. I can kind of see their reasons(IP protection and all of that jazz), but still man. For the miracle they pulled I'd have given them a slap on the wrist just for appearance sake and called it a day.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
gently caress, double post.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It's unlikely that the adventures of slime boy and friends would be hosed with even if that were to happen since its an adaptation. Kemeno Friends probably got screwed over because the mobile game developers wanted more control over the story.

Ah ok. I hate to bring back around to this, but GS has had just about every major Anituber do a video on it and several other none anime tubers talk about it hence the whole popularity issue thing. I know WHY they discuss it, it's YouTube and it'a controversial topic so it's easy as loving hell views. But in a season with so many great shows that THAT is the one that gets latched on to offends me.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Agronox posted:

More recently it fell off the top ten entirely, which is interesting because it was #1 for a few weeks when the season began.

I'm just happy Saki finally made it onto these lists

Preistess being ranked so high offends me since she's not just bland, but such a blatant waifu wish fulfillment fantasy.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, a show doing something GROSS AND SHOCKING to get some cheap discourse and eyeballs around it is neither a new phenomenon nor one contained to anime. It's annoying that the poo poo exists and that it gets attention that way, but there's not all that much to say about it. Not worth dwelling on, IMO, just watch and boost the stuff that's genuinely good and has real staying power.

My main issue is that you have "Intellectual" channels like Wisecrack and this one other channel that seems to focus on fantasy both give it attention in...positive ways? Not watched the video's but the it has more likes than dislikes and ANY video even SLIGHTLY critical on the GS gets slammed HARD with dislikes like you wouldn't believe. It's stuff like that that bothers me. It's giving intellectual cred to garbage.

Endorph posted:

dont watch anitubers except for the one lady that puts out a video about an 80s magical girl show once every six months

I don't watch any of them either outside of the occasional video on an anime that I do actually like. I mostly just skim to see what they offer.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ViggyNash posted:

I meant season 2 of SAO yeah. I tried to give it an honest shot and it was just blandly inoffensive at first so I didn't immediately drop it. It continued to be somewhere between dumb and bland until I gave up on it.

Ok, so my source guy has posted some new information about the current tend on BD sales I'll share with you guys. These are completely final, but are the current trending numbers so if anything, they might increase.

1. Zombieland Saga - ¥96 million
2. SAO - ¥72 million
3. Tensei Slime - ¥63 million
4. Gridman - ¥62 million
5. Bunny Senpai - ¥46 million

So yeah, we can likely expect another season of zombie idols and hopefully giant robot fights.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

Honestly if you think the arc's way too fault in our stars I'd totally get that criticism but every time it gets brought up it's like 'lol she has AIDS' like aids is a meme that doesn't exist anymore. Like, get off FYAD for five second, what the hell.

I blame Habbo Hotel and internet meme culture in general.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ibblebibble posted:

I watched all 12 episodes of Uzamaid because I'm a weirdo and so that you don't have to. Here are my thoughts.

At its core it's a story about two girls who help each other come to terms with the loss of a parental figure. The finale managed to get the emotional beats down pretty well. The animation was surprisingly good and the humour, when it hits, hits pretty hard.

But thanks to the shadow of the lolicon maid, this show is completely unrecommendable unless you have a specific sense of black humour or a high tolerance to that sort of bullshit.

Yes, pretty much every character except for the maid herself and the oblivious dad notices her terrible behaviour and calls her out on it hard. The girl gives as good as she gets and is pretty much never actually tempted by her bullshit. Still doesn't excuse that it's there. I wish that, at the very least, the maid would have toned it down by the finale or dropped it alltogether, but she just. Keeps. Going. Another goon mentioned how an overprotective bodyguard (I think it was doomrider?) would still have made 90% of the jokes work and would have avoided all this lolicon stuff.

I know I'm just yelling into the void again and that I should have expected this stuff just from the series description. There are definitely worse shows out there with even more hosed up views on stuff, so you could definitely be watching worse. Just don't watch this unless you're a weirdo like me and have a sense of humour to match.

I'll also have a Whopper with that rant, thanks.

Different Goon. Mine was about how as problematic as it is, it's not as bad for the reasons you just typed way better than I did. Like yeah unless you have tolerance for it or it's your brand of black humor(neither of which are bad things), it's a really hard sell, but ultimately it's more benign I feel since we're not meant to find her actions ok compared to other shows that sell some REALLY ugly and hosed up ideas and concepts like world building that facilitates rape and violence mostly towards women and endorses racial cleansing and MRA/Incel power fantasy trip that normalizes slavery with some creepy pedophile tones and misogyny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Cappy posted:

Your defense of Uzumaid feels very similar to how people defended Goblin Slayer by saying "the rape is very serious and isn't for shock value/fetishism". It would take some top tier writers to pull off making a "cute girls" show about a lolicon while simultaneously not pandering to lolicons themselves, and I'm not sure the fine people at Doga Kobo are quite up to that. I'm not sure anyones up to that. I think it's best to just acknowledge that we sometimes put on blinders to problematic things and it lets us enjoy the better parts of something. It's not necessary to defend the parts we ignored.

Oh no I 100% agree. It's more that in Uzumaid we're very clearly NOT supposed to find Tsubame ok in any capacity while Goblin Slayer very much wants us on board the full genocide train on top of all the rape stuff which yes is very blatantly there for shock and titillation(how else due you loving explain POV rape scenes). I'm not gonna say Uzumaid is a good show, but of the two I'll definetly say it's better than Goblin Slayer. I've not read Shield Hero, but nothing of what I've heard of it fills me with anything but gross and disgusted contempt so you add that to the list.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 23, 2018