Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Don't forget to Bookmark the thread! :siren: Need to catch up? This season's episodes are on CBS.com

Survivor airs Wednesdays on CBS! Check your local listings.

https://i.imgur.com/jvBChvk.gifv

Have too much money? Smilies.

• :probst:

• :blindside:

If it hasn't aired in an episode, don't spoil it in this thread.

If you get a better thread title sometime in the run, post it!

What is Survivor?

Survivor is a reality show where a group of 16 to 20 or so contestants, from all walks of life, are stuck on a remote paradise and forced to live together for 39 days; gathering their own food, building their own shelter, and purifying their own water. The cast is split into opposing, equal teams, called tribes. The tribes must work together to form a community, in the hopes of one contestant becoming the Sole Survivor and winning one million dollars. At least one contestant is voted off every episode.

A typical Survivor season has three phases. Pre-Merge, Post-Merge, and Endgame.

• Pre-Merge: Roughly the first half of the game. The tribes compete against each other twice each episode. First for a reward, and second for tribal immunity. Tribes that fail the immunity challenge will be forced to vote one of their own members out at the end of the episode.

• Post-Merge: The tribes are merged together. Players are now playing for individual immunity and all players will participate in voting out a player from the tribe.

• Endgame: Once 5-7 players or so remain, the show reaches the End game phase. Usually the very strong core alliances are shaken up here as people try to reach the end or placate the jury. The last nine players voted out before the final tribal council will join a Jury that will decide who will win of the final three (sometimes two) players.

What's the theme?

It doesn't ever loving matter. Don't worry about it.

Supplemental Material

• Rob has a Podcast: Available on iTunes or their website. He does a few podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the player who was voted out that episode, and provides theories about strategy. This podcast provides insight into the game that was not aired on the show. It is heavily referenced in this thread.

• Twitter: Survivors poo poo on each other, shill for their crap, and every once in a while tweet something that's actually amusing.

• YouTube: The Official YouTube Channel used to keep the Ponderosa videos and bonus scenes but I guess they now have those on the CBS official website? I don't know. Just search for "Ponderosa [jury member]" and you'll find someone else uploaded it so you didn't have to figure that out.

Glossary of Terms

• Blindside: When a tribal council seems to be set up so one or one of two possible players are getting eliminated, but somehow either a secret coalition or a surprising idol play makes it so someone else is voted out instead.

• "The Edit": Survivor is a show to entertain. It is produced and edited in a way to give players a streamlined personality and to create as much tension before Tribal Council as possible.

• Goat: A useless, awful, or crazy person that is not being voted out of the game specifically so a player can look like a more desirable final survivor to the jury compared to the goat.

• HII: Hidden Immunity Idol. They are hidden around the island. Clues will be given that could reveal their location. One-use item that a player can use after the votes are cast (but before they are read) at Tribal Council to nullify votes against that person. They can't be used at Final Four player or later.

• Mactor: Portmanteau of "Model/Actor". A player who doesn't know the game very well and are just using it to further their career.

• Pagonged: Going into post-merge, it's the act of voting out the former members of your opposing tribe before voting out the former members of your original tribe. It's the reason it's important to win tribal immunity pre-merge so that you outnumber the opposing tribe members in post-merge.

• Pony/Poison: After the new season's cast is announced, thread members will pick a "Pony" (someone they think is awesome and will win) and a "Poison" (someone they think will suck and/or be an annoying rear end in a top hat they hope will lose or just simply suffer)

• Purple Rocks: In the event of a tie at Tribal Council, there is a revote, with only the people receiving the most votes being eligible to receive votes during that revote. If the revote also ends in a tie, Survivors draw rocks. Whichever player draws the differently colored rock is eliminated from the game.

• Splitting the vote/Flushing the Idol: An alliance that splits its votes between two members to counter a potential idol play. If one of those two players plays a Hidden Immunity Idol, there will still be enough players voting for the other guy to vote them out. This strategy can be risky.

This Season's Cast

“The jury doesn’t just reward whoever plays the best game. It determines who played the best game.”

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Alec
Age 24
Bartender
"gently caress it."
*Special Note: Posted himself and another player on Instagram. Lost his prize money and was disinvited from the reunion.

Alison
Age 28
Physician
"Getting to the bottom of bottomless breadsticks."

Angelina
Age 28
Financial Consultant
"I use my power of persuasion to get out of speeding tickets and to get discounts at restaurants."

Killer Bi
Age 28
MMA Fighter
"My first fight, I beat her and retired her."

Carl
Age 41
Truck Driver
"I have a wife, I have a truck, I have kids."

Christian
Age 32
Robotics Scientist
"I wouldn't object to being called a wizard."

Dan
Age 27
SWAT Officer
"If I let them question me and get me all worked up? It'll end badly."
*Special Note: Florida Hot Cop. Not an anti-semite, just takes hot cop pics with them.

Davie
Age 30
Social Media Manager
Hobbies: Memes!

Elizabeth
Age 31
Kitchen Staff
"I pushed two girls out with no pain meds while wearing this hat."
*Special Note: Apparently has a wild criminal record that has since been scrubbed from the internet. Post if you find it.

Gabby
Age 25
Technical Writer
"I am prone to tear-filled moments."

Jeremy
Age 40
Attorney
"I'm a spirit-reader, and some people don't want their spirits read."

Jessica
Age 19
Waitress
"I have a way with words....."
*Special Note: Someone at CBS missed the slurs she repeatedly posted online.

Johnny Mundo
Age 38
Pro Wrestler
"This island is really about me versus me"

Kara
Age 30
Realtor
Pet peeves: Drivers who use their brakes

Lyrsa
Age 36
Airline Agent
"They think I'm playing Sudoku, but I'm looking at them."

Mike White
Age 47
Filmmaker
Hobbies: water sports
*Special Note: Made the Emoji Movie. The sentence is death.

Natalia
Age 25
Industrial Engineer
"I want binoculars so I can creep on people."

Natalie
Age 56
Publishing CEO
"Sunglasses will give me the ability to see things, while hiding my eyes."

Nick
Age 27
Public Defender
"If you don't use it, you lose it!"

Pat
Age 40
Maintenance Manager
"Cochran is a chameleon, like me."

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 14, 2018

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm really excited for the return of John Morrison to my weekly TV

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I am a fan of the American television show, Survivor.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The one flipping off the camera was arrested for something called 'cop theft' and I choose to believe that means grand theft police horse.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Looking forward to the show and to posting about it incessantly

What the poo poo are these quotes in the OP

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Well I was going to back Karl but I have to back Johnny Mundo.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rick posted:

Well I was going to back Karl but I have to back Johnny Mundo.

I think you mean Johnny Impact!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SalTheBard posted:

I think you mean Johnny Impact!

That's rough.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

hell yeah we're back

Pony JOHNNY MUNDO
Poison Christian

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Pony: Spirit Reader
Poison: Hot Cop

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
If you made up those quotes then that's fantastic.

Pony: Kara
Poison: Alec (or is this too obvious?)

I heard rumors that David Wright was on this season but I'm relived he isn't. His arc was great and I'd fear it getting screwed up. He'll still probably be back for an all stars though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pony: Johnny/Alison
Poison: Dan/Elizabeth

Who knows, though. Looks like a rough bunch

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Adus posted:

Pony: Kara
Poison: Alec (or is this too obvious?)

I heard rumors that David Wright was on this season but I'm relived he isn't. His arc was great and I'd fear it getting screwed up. He'll still probably be back for an all stars though.
Maybe he's in the one filming right after this?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I predict the most unlikable cast since fiji

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Adus posted:

Nah. They're almost entirely direct quotes from them.

Pony: Gabby
Poison: Kara Kay

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 25, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I am cautiously optimistic about Johnny Mundo because while he's built like a star leading man everything I've ever heard him say suggests he's a hugely awkward dork. I could see that going ether way as terrible villain or amazing hero.

Also I fully expect Mike White to be exactly like I remember him from movie/s. Which is basically what I hope Johnny Mundo is.

Basically I'm hoping Johnny Mundo and Mike White either

a) form a wacky duo of loveable losers.
b) form a horrible duo of arrogant rear end in a top hat losers.
c) hate each other and vow to destroy each other.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't Mike White on a season of Amazing Race with his gay dad?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Pony: I was fascinated by everything John and Natalie said in their First One Out interviews.

Poison:

Davie posted:

guaranteed responses from females via Direct Messages (how to slide into them DMs)

I've often also been told that my Instagram/Twitter/Facebook is "my favorite" from friends and even been called by my Instagram handle in public quite frequently

Rick Grimes is my hero

Recently, my beta wolf Luna Moon was hit by a car.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I am cautiously optimistic about Johnny Mundo because while he's built like a star leading man everything I've ever heard him say suggests he's a hugely awkward dork. I could see that going ether way as terrible villain or amazing hero.

Also I fully expect Mike White to be exactly like I remember him from movie/s. Which is basically what I hope Johnny Mundo is.

Basically I'm hoping Johnny Mundo and Mike White either

a) form a wacky duo of loveable losers.
b) form a horrible duo of arrogant rear end in a top hat losers.
c) hate each other and vow to destroy each other.

They both have pre-merge boot written all over them I think. In particular, Mike has major first boot potential, and Johnny Mundo scream "big villain goes down in Episode 4 in blindside blaze of glory with idol in his pocket."

(Those will be the two best episodes of the season)

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Zesty posted:

Nah. They're almost entirely direct quotes from them.

Pony: Gabby
Poison: Kara Kay

now i want next OP to alternate between fake and real quotes and see if we can guess

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
edit - pasted the wrong name and didn't notice right away. See below.

Shemp the Stooge fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 26, 2018

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Pony: Natalia
Poison: Davie

Dice Cut Tomatoes
Jan 6, 2016

Pony: Johnny Mundo
Poison: Alec

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Pony: Nick
Poison: Alec

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Pony: Johnny Nitro
Poison: Pat

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm hoping the season ends up being good. My hopes aren't that high, but I will still probably watch every episode because it's Survivor and very much my thing.

Not sure if I can get past it basically being the same theme as the current season of Australian Survivor. Although maybe the US version will play out better not having professional athletes compete against average shitheads.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also just realized that Pat appears to have a loving tattoo of a cross necklace instead of an actual necklace... who the gently caress comes up with that poo poo and doesn't have any friends to tell them not to do it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm a broken record so everyone probably hates me for saying it over and over, but I don't care at all about the theme. We all know how its going to go. 3 weeks in there will be a tribe swap and 3 weeks later there will be another one. The theme will only really matter in so far as what Jeff pushes and a few players adopt as their personalities. And the big rear end wrestler was probably always going to adopt a "goliath" persona and the skinny middle aged nerd was probably always going to take the "david" persona.

I have to work up my enthusiasm because Big Brother really killed it with their season, but I'm sure I'll be into it by the first tribe swap when I start to remember people's names besides Johnny Blaze.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I wish the David tribe was just all people named David

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your dad is a doctor and you think you're middle class to upper middle class :lol:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also look forward to us wrestling fans annoying the rest of you by calling Johnny Superstar by every one of his dozen names and hundreds of made up ones.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

I also look forward to us wrestling fans annoying the rest of you by calling Johnny Superstar by every one of his dozen names and hundreds of made up ones.

:hellyeah:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I have cable again, and I am in a Survivor pool at work, so why not watch Survivor??

Johnny Nitro being on here is just a treat.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo Christian annihilated that slide puzzle O_O

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

drat that slide puzzle was easy as poo poo lol

e: maybe not they just had slide puzzle jesus

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This confession is incredible

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Canadians can now apply to be on Survivor :eyepop:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Survivor showmances are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

drat that slide puzzle was easy as poo poo lol

e: maybe not they just had slide puzzle jesus

I think it was probably a mix if both. It looked like the slide puzzle was all squared up and not that difficult for a slide puzzle.