Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I knew Christian in college, and what you are seeing is him; frenetic, nerdy and intuitively good with algorithms. It was very difficulty to play against him in Diplomacy, too. I haven't seen the show in seventeen years so I have no idea to handicap his chances, unless they throw a ton of physical challenges at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

There will definitely be physical challenges he'll need to complete in, especially towards the end. It is definitely possible to win without them, but considerably harder

I'm certain he's got the brains to make a deep run, and they don't seem to be setting him up like that CEO on Goliath at the moment. Unless he's become secretly swole in the ten years since I've seen him, the strength challenges might trip him up.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

mancalamania posted:

I doubt he'll be winning many individual immunity challenges since most of those these days are balance/coordination/endurance based (of the flavor of stand on a tiny pole holding up a ball on a disk for as long as you can), but the rare physical challenge is one he can probably win because those are usually a big obstacle course with a very hard puzzle at the end (like both challenges in the premiere).

Of course, he can definitely win the game without ever winning a challenge (I hope that doesn't sound too condescending! I only point that out because you haven't seen the show in 17 years and I don't think that aspect of the meta-game is completely obvious to a newcomer; the challenges in the second half are a method-of-last-resort for staying alive, not something necessary to advance.
Two of the last three winners didn't win a single individual immunity challenge, and the third only won 2 at the very end largely on the strength of his puzzle-solving skills).

I didn't think you were condescending at all, fellow goon. Even after all these years, the endgame still seems to be "Be the least unpopular*"

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
What happens when someone has two immunity idols? I'm assuming it's obvious and they survive two councils.

I bet Natalie palmed the hidden idol for their team.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They get overconfident and get voted out with both idols.

I can see that happening.

Glad to be wrong about Natalie's stealth skills! :byewhore:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
I was under the mistaken impression they hid idols under all three tripods based on what was aired. No matter, I'm not used to these new-fangled idols and three teams.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also, if you haven't figured out Survivor editing by this point. If the whole episode looks like 1 person is going to be the one voted off, they will not be voted off.

One can only hope for Christian's sake, based on that preview. We'll see how well Goliath Strong holds up next week.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Zesty posted:

I think a Christian has a story to the audience but not so much to the other players.

This theory is based on playing strategy games in college with him, as well as his bio on the Survivor website where he says he's a big fan of the show-- I'm sure he's told people what he thinks they need to know, even if the producers don't think that'll make good TV. Now that the merge is here, I'm curious to see how he does. If only someone was asleep at the switch and made all the remaining challenges 3D puzzles :haw:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Christian is a character the producers like to feature rather than a guy destined for the finals. He seems more well rounded than previous nerds but I'm not sold.

Yeah I'm still going by my earlier prediction he gets picked off at some point, just a matter of when his allies decide they don't need brains anymore. I am curious what his balance is like in this week's challenges.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Zesty posted:

I just can't see anyone winning but Christian, Nick, or maybe Davie.

Mike gets an oddly favorable edit too but I think that might just might be being good friends with the loving host.

I'm willing to put Robot Spine Money $35 on this.

:toxx: If Christian wins, I will buy :blindside: :toxx:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

ApplesandOranges posted:

John would be a lock-in as a returnee but as I understand his schedule is insanely packed (he had just signed onto a new deal right when he got the call and they had to bend over backwards to give him the time to come do Survivor). So him returning would be if schedules aligned more than desire.

Also apparently he had applied once before but he did it really badly (he narrated his video in a German accent). Since then he actually watched a bunch of seasons and knew how the game worked.

Nothing more kayfabe than giving a guy an "injury" and keeping him off TV for three months. Put another way:

https://mobile.twitter.com/hulkhogan/status/125437560418865152?lang=en

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Christian's :words: is something I never expected to be used as a weapon; I was more expecting a potential farewell speech getting cut off. It's cool that he managed to get all three of his personal goals.

I realize the preview is edit3, but if Christian gets one sniff that he's up next, he'll use his idol. I'm not entirely seeing Gabby's play here, unless she thinks she can sneak by and still get a jury vote from Christian.

I'm assuming Alec's farewell will never see the light of day after breaking the ndc.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
How good is the hotel they go to for seclusion after the get voted out? It's tempting to go out first and spend 36 days at a bitchin' resort.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Shneak posted:

So many episodes have falsely had Christian as the target so this better be the one.

If he's not out in the next week or two, I don't see him having many friends on the jury.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
drat disappointing episode. Both for Christian getting knocked out, and them not getting the challenge up to four balls. Guess I'm rooting for Davey? Can all six post on Instagram tomorrow?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The challenge is only made for 3 balls. Like it has always been when they run the challenge. There is a reason they only have 3 balls at the start of the challenge (1 on the board, 2 by their side)

I wanted to make a Zybourne clock joke tonight, nuts to all these testicle jokes.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Christian's interviews are up. They should have made his six hour filibuster a double episode so we could have heard more of the craziness.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Chili posted:

At this point with it seeming less and less likely that Nick and Davie are going to win I don't see how the Angelina comedy option isn't the best possible outcome.

She gonna buy a jacket made out of rice.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Zesty posted:

She kept referring to women as :females: on the podcast. I had words with her on Twitter where she was rude, spiteful and tried to cry PC run amok.

I see what Corinne Kaplan says about her now.

All I remember from the FTC is that gabby knows Angelina is :females:, and this influences how you acquire rice.