Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
This taste is the taste of a Friday.

Darko posted:

Part 5 has the best fights in the series

This is absolutely true, yeah. Even with the old, garbage translation, it was just a fantastic marathon of Best Fights so I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of 'em animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I like the Stand that just goes around picking up loose change

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The first one we saw explicitly related to music was a band (Cream) and then the second was an instrument even.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Josuke died in that car and everything from the mysterious stranger onwards is a dream when he's in a coma.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

How do you write around a Stand that can just create and control infinite fire? Or delete space and seemingly wipe people from existence? Or rewrite what people are capable of, seemingly forever?

Purple Haze is very powerful, yes, but it's not the first and arguably not even the most ridiculously overpowered.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Didn't know those had populations in Florence.

That is clearly the famous Italian city of Vienna.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Giorno got a real gold experience that day

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

whoops, they should have said 'babyhead' instead which the show directly lists at the end

Well, to be fair, that doesn't tell you who it's going to be.

That the episode does that before the credits is something we have to ignore, I guess, because the anime itself is now being rude and posting untagged spoilers.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Carne does mean "meat"...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Stink Terios posted:

You seem to have mispelled Fighting Gold but it's ok, we have a better opening song now.

Shame that's not relevant. The opening is garbage because it's mostly straight up reused animation outta episodes from the first half of VA. Fighting Gold was bland and generic but at least it wasn't actively bad.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

People keep saying that, but I'm pretty sure Giorno didn't drink jellyfish.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

Purple Haze literally drools

And then it freaks out and has to clean it up. Purple Haze owns.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Joseph's absenteeism is regarding Josuke and he absolutely was. The entire Invisible Baby stuff was even blatantly analogous for it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Xad posted:

BTD only works if you don't know who Kira is though, iirc

You have it backwards. It can only be placed on someone who does know who Kira is (and presumably is not a Stand user themselves). That's why he tried to tell the nurse his real identity.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think the only thing that was forgotten about Josuke is that he can't fix things properly when he's mad, which only was really a thing until Angelo died.

Tell that to Terunosuke Miyamoto. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The biggest problem I have with King Crimson as a Stand is that we're told it's invincible and too powerful and can't be beaten. We're shown that it's strong, sure, but it's time erasure power isn't insurmountable. Both of the previous fights it's been involved in were great (Bruno at the cathedral and using Epitaph vs Risotto), and both showed that King Crimson is not invincible. Bruno figured out a way to hit the boss on his own, and we see it again in this very arc that Polnareff came up with a second way to outthink and outmaneuver Diavolo and manage to hit him. But we're then immediately afterwards told that it's impossible and we need the Arrow to give someone a Requiem Stand to even be able to stand a chance.

Epitaph doesn't even really play into this much. Bruno inadvertently came up with a way around that (because he didn't really know it existed) and Risotto nearly beat Doppio as well. Doppio only won because he was actually kinda viciously clever when the chips were down and had a counter-strategy for Metallica.

King Crimson has been shown to be fallible and potentially beatable in a straight fight. It'd take clever and planning and, hey, maybe the gang would have to work together to pull something off effectively but it's still very possible. What makes it more impressive is that people who definitely know this, because they've seen the previous fights already, also repeat that King Crimson is too overpowered and can't be harmed.

Stopping Diavolo from getting the Arrow himself is very important, yeah obviously, so having that be a conceit of the fight in itself isn't a problem. Having that instead be the fight (as it's presented) with the conceit of "we need to use it first because we can never ever ever win otherwise" is just telling without showing. And what we've been shown contradicts it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Trish is the only important character that is both a woman and not dead as part of a backstory.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

CJ posted:

Ok i might be misremembering because i read it in 2013 and watched it in 2016, but from my recollection other than the part where he blows up Okuyasu i thought the entire fight was shooting explosive air bubbles? The dynamics of that are different enough from "any object he touches could be a bomb" that it's effectively a different ability from my perspective. I'm not saying it is bad but it fits the pattern of the final fight being something completely different than what was originally introduced as the antagonist's ability after part 3.

Killer Queen's first bomb power turns things into remote control bombs.

Kira fights by turning things into remote control bombs.

Hmm, yes, this is definitely completely different. :thunk:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The original part 5 translators went with a mix of removing characterization, making up poo poo wholesale and only having the vaguest understanding of what was actually written.

I only read a few chapters of it at one point when I caught up to the better translation (while that was still ongoing) around like Green Day and Oasis. That was still too many, and I feel sorry for everyone who had to deal with it being the only one available.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

No it was jellyfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, the start of Phantom Blood is still phenomenal and holds up really well. The stretch between the fight in the mansion and Windknights Lot just straight drags after the first time through, though. It's not really that long, but it sure feels like it is.