Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
No dignity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If you got stabbed in the face so hard that your eye is always crying, you'd start bringing shovels to knife fights too

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

I really hope they come up with a better fake name for Sticky Fingers than Zipper Man.

Zippy Fingers

Electric Phantasm posted:

What would a shovel based stand even be called?

No Diggity

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel bad because I don't really like the ed at all tbh.

I saw a version uploaded to youtube with gangsta's paradise overlaid but imo that doesn't fit too well either. If they had to pick a coolio song, I think fantastic voyage would be a better pick.

But regardless, eh. The op was cool though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sockser posted:

which chapter is uhhhh the dance

and how long am I going to need to wait to see it animated

Conservative estimate would probably be somewhere within 3 to 4 episodes from now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

what do you guys think the part 4 ed will be

Shiny Happy People by REM

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The real question is "how does Polpo get the lighter back"

Does he give people missions to go find his missing lighter

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Lovers did react though, it just was capable of creating clones of itself so that the original one wouldn't get hurt.

There are definitely some other stands that match that kind of stand though as far as "can be beat up at long range but won't transfer damage to the user"

There were also definitely stands that just outright didn't transfer damage, but those were things that either couldn't specifically be attacked (Mariah's or Oingo's ability), or were attached to some physical object like Strength, Wheel of Fortune, Justice, probably The Fool since it was made of sand (though I'm not sure if it was sand the stand itself made or if it was made up of regular sand around itself, which is why I'm not sure), and Surface

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 30, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Gruckles posted:

I think the weird part is that doing it cause Enya to choke. Giving the implication that stands can be suffocated, and the lack of oxygen is transferred to their user.

Think of it more like how Jotaro's stand could grab Kakyoin's and cause imprints to appear on Kakyoin, but Enya's stand was made of fog and had no specific part that could be punched or grabbed so it just sucked it all into one compressed spot in order to defeat it that way.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I want to know what pizzeria made pies the size of a prison wall and how much bank they made off of Polpo on the regular.

You're thinking about it all wrong.

How much protection was the pizzeria getting by paying Polpo in wall-sized pizzas?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Bruno's stand was unzipping both because he had no reason to think there were 2 layers. It's the same reason why he just unzips a person whole instead of just unzipping their skin to reveal their muscular or skeletal tissue.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

IDONTPOST posted:

This was weeks ago but why the gently caress did Polpo eat his fingers? I figured this would be resolved at some point.

Sleight of hand

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Number 2 you son of a bitch!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The guy's Stand ability is being able to lower any set of blinds on the first try without getting them stuck.

「Blinded by the Light」

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like the capcom jojo fighting game and I adore the SaGa-inspired rpgmaker jojo fanfic 7th Stand User which is about part 3 but there's a 7th person and that person is you and you get your own stand from a list of like... 18 I think, though even that game spoils stuff from other parts just through easter eggs and references.

I know it'll seem like a joke but I really do think that the best jojo game would be a jojo take on the classic horror game "Don't poo poo Your Pants"

You're given a situation where you have very specific tools and not a lot of time to figure out what to do with them and you have to use your tools in a way to get out of trouble without failing and making GBS threads your pants dying.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

the weirdest part is that his name is the only non white music group iirc

like i dont think that really means anything but it's a super bad look

You're overthinking it, he's named after Wu Tang Clan because Wu Tang and Orangutan sound similar and he was probably all like "poo poo that's funny I'm gonna go with that" when he had to come up with a name

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was cheap trick even that guy's original stand or was it given to him by a previous owner of cheap trick?

Also I know this is the anime thread but am I allowed to talk about how it's a shame that the part 4 anime excluded some of the best cheap trick scenes from the manga

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah absolutely, manga discussion for past parts is totally fine

I just really wanted the scene of the delivery people and firemen showing up because Rohan fell asleep or whatever and cheap trick was making phone calls to try and get people to see Rohan's back.

I also wish we had gotten the page about the calluses. I get why they'd cut it but I loved how silly it was that there was this whole page spread for superfly's user's calluses and how he can use them to story tools from a swiss army knife as well as using them to pop open bottles and stuff

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wanted to see them adapt this page like they did with Kars

because it's just so silly like "oh ok he can do bird calls using his calluses" and yeah the hidden knife is one thing but it's another when you realize he has an entire swiss army knife built into them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's not about the size of the gun in the cowboy, it's about the size of the cowboy in the gun

or something like that

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Let's not forget the best gun stand in all of jojo up until this point, Wheel of Fortune.

His bullets ended part 3 early!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also, for the longest time I I lost track of which leg went to which boot and thought Mista's legs were given an extra joint in that one panel for an epic jojo pose

This just reminds me of that one Part 4 doodle

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The thing to remember is that Giorno's own parental figures failed him as parents and he exists as a composite of the graceful, knightly, gentlemanly. impulsive nature of Jonathan but with the pure charisma, tenacity, passion, and drive of Dio.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm going to eternally still hold that the perfect jojo game would be basically like shenmue

Same, except the perfect jojo game would be basically don't poo poo your pants

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nijimura is still the king of that for me

Arabia Fats is good too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I dunno, I give fats a pass because his plan was pretty solid, and we don't know what he would have done after killing the crusaders.

Like maybe his next step was to harness a near limitless supply of fusion energy to become a billionaire but first DIO was like "kill these dudes"

If it was so solid why did he get beaned by a rock by a bunch of laughing psychos once his stand started directly attacking them :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
DIO moving the Egypt works in tandem with his desire to be seen as a god and sure he could try to deify himself as pretty much any religion but I feel like the Egyptian pantheon has a specific notability to it that lends itself to DIO's brand of godhood, with feeling constantly praised and feared and adored while being able to live among his subjects, but still "above" those subjects.

I am talking out of my rear end though because I have opinions and theories about jojo and I just like talking about some of the the philosophy and meaning behind some of the stuff that happens in JJBA, whether it is something intentional on Araki's part or unintentional themes subconsciously peppered throughout Araki's work

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There should be a gaiden manga about Jotaro's college years where he originally goes to get a business degree to take over the Joestar business but discovers a love of fish after a life changing trip to the aquarium

Only if it is done by Fukumoto.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Let us never forget that time he decided to sport Kakyoin's hairdo while wearing a trash bag for a dress

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

IDONTPOST posted:

i have no idea what the enemy's stand from this week does even after reading this and thats a good thing, part 5 is loving good.

Do you want to know what it does?

Because it sounds like you want to know what it does.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will always love that he wanted to conquer the world in a war of endless bloodshed while wearing a heart bandana

Hey now

If things went his way, there'd be no endless bloodshed because everything would cease to continue to exist :v: It wouldn't be destroyed, it'd just stop.

Also, I love how the heart gets shown when his skull gets caved in.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

No, I know what you mean. I burst out laughing when Santana shlorped into the vents and the Nazis started freaking out. How the gently caress was anyone in there supposed to see that coming?

Followed by "Don't go near the vents" and then one of them responds by going near the vents

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Careful now, it's still the anime thread

Yeah I know it's silly to be like "hey don't spoil the fact that the series that has lots of brutal and bloody and horrific fights will continue to have brutal and bloody and horrific fights" but just in case anyone sees people talking and accidentally thinks it's the manga thread or something

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It is extremely fitting that Josuke's hero would not be Josuke from the future but just some dude. It's a completely compressed and condensed version of the golden heart of Morioh, that this town has good people in it, that the town itself tries as best as it can to expel the bad and work towards a brighter future, like the town itself is a living organism and it was people like Angelo and Kira who were blights upon it and needed to be singled out and eliminated. Angelo and Kira are the bacteria and the town must release antibodies to weaken and fight them off.

It's all down to Fate.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Glagha posted:

I mean very clearly demonstrating a character using the same stand as someone else after establishing that stands are unique seems to imply that The World was probably supposed to duplicate stands somehow so I don't know how it's a "dumb" fan theory when it's more "able to read basic foreshadowing." Especially because his ability to do that was never explained in the text but only as a bonus thing in some side media so like, reading it as an aborted plot point is pretty much the most obvious interpretation possible.

Who said that all stands are unique?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TooManyUzukis posted:

The funniest thing about this conversation whenever it comes up is how incredibly ANGRY people get over any threat to the thematic integrity of the weird, incredibly inconsistent, baffling story that is JoJo. JoJo is a cool loving collection of creative ideas and characters that occasionally, almost accidentally it feels like, coalesce into a coherent whole.

This is a dumb take because Jojo does have thematic integrity and has various different themes and concepts that crop up time and again and it's silly to write it off as this "weird, incredibly inconsistent, baffling story" when Jojo has time and again expressed these thoughts over and over but in different ways.

Also, the reason Josuke's hero was bloody from a fight was to give the impression that he was an absolute thug who probably was only ever going to be trouble. It's to subvert the expectations and show that even someone who you might otherwise think is just bad news in this town is clearly selfless and willing to put others before themself. You see this in previous parts of JJBA as well, with Jonathan making a lifetime family friend out of Speedwagon, Joseph being rude but ultimately having heart and a sense of justice, Jotaro being a complete mama's boy who tries to look like a badass but it's clear that he is just putting up a facade that nobody will ever call him out on because he's got the muscles to back it up, and even now with the cast of part 5 with Giorno's dream of defending others as a Gangstar when he feels that the police have failed society and that it is up to the mafia to step up and help those who can't otherwise be helped.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I do appreciate that his style of writing fights seems to heavily rely on writing the characters into a corner and finding a way for them to get out again though, but more controlled than that obviously

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not going to justify whether that is good or bad but I just want to bring up that Araki likes magic tricks (or rather, I assume he does) because in one of his earlier manga titles, Cool Shock BT, it was always about how there was this kid named BT who was really good at sleight of hand so he could beat up bullies and get away with major theft and help out his good buddy Koichi Hirose when Koichi and BT get kidnapped by a hitler larper and Araki would always include stuff at the end about how to do some of these tricks be it "how to temporarily blind a person by shooting a rubber band into their eye" or "how to look like you're communicating with ghosts by scratching a message into your arm lightly and then quickly rubbing back and forth with a charm to increase blood flow to the area in order to make a message appear" or "how to trick people into thinking you just bent a spoon without actually bending the spoon" or "how to put a giant killer hornet to sleep so that you can capture it and slip it into someone's pocket"

So I would not at all be surprised if Araki was just like "I saw this cool rope trick, I'm gonna have Joseph do that cool rope trick" :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I didn't know Koichi was friends with DIO.