Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I was not prepared for this OP to somehow be the best Jojo OP. There have been so many good Jojo OPs, but then Fighting Gold came along to knock em all out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
What stood out most to me about this episode is that it looks like this enemy stand is inside the walls and can pull people in there with it, and yet Bruno's stand isn't the answer to that somehow. I have no idea what Moody Jazz is going to do, but opening up some zippers so you can pull the wall man out of the wall seems like the most natural answer possible to this problem.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Giorno just needs to get down there quick enough to replace all his insides with concrete, while also avoiding the murderous boss and have his crew save Trish at the same time, and everything will be okay!

What do you mean there's 19 episodes left

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Half of Dracula posted:

Pet Shop was hardcore and could dismantle half the Buciaratti Crew

Most of the stands we've seen so far in part 5 have disabled half the Buciaratti crew.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This doesn't seem all that different to me from "you become a vampire by having your brain poked in just the right places," really. It's a goofy sci fi explanation for magic so we can move on and have magic in the modern day. Magic meteorite arrows give hereditary superpowers - it just makes sense.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Off the top of my head that makes your plainclothes into nearly-impervious armor, and lets you turn handkerchiefs or pants into hardened clubs, or maybe knives if you can get em sharp somehow. You could use the same principles to also 'freeze' your enemies - holding their pants solid with your stand means they can't run around at all, anyone in a long sleeve shirt couldn't bend their elbows or shoulders. Solidifying/hardening clothing has plenty of uses.

Certainly not a god-tier stand but definitely not low-tier, either. It'd basically be a variant on Spice Girl.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I haven't read the manga, but I feel like we've already gotten all we're going to on what's up with bruno. He's a zombie running on a time limit and his time limit's just about run out.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This episode was really good. I love how Doppio and Diavolo have a lot more presence than DIO did in part 3 - they get to show up and mess around for a while almost like Kira. Part 5 really feels like a huge refinement over part 3 in almost every way.

Vookatos posted:

And I'm not surprised Diavolo looks nothing like his silhouette. It feels like that's usually what media is doing. Reminds me of Phoenix Wright when they would show Man_Silhouette.jpg in place of the murderer so you wouldn't just guess.

Nah that's how Dangan Ronpa does it. Phoenix Wright usually just lets you know who the bad guy is, because "who" usually isn't the mystery in those games, it's "how" and "why" that matter more.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
If Diavolo's flashback is to be believed, he found 6 arrowheads total, because he sold 5 to Enya and kept 1 for himself. Two of Enya's arrows ended up in part 4, and were retrieved from Akira and Kira's Ghost Dad by Jotaro. Polnareff seems to have found one of the others, and I assume Polpo's arrow was given to him by Diavolo to make stand user underlings.

So assuming this rhino beetle arrow was sold to Enya, we know where four out of 6 arrow heads are. But if its a special one from somewhere else, even beyond Diavolo's collection, then there's still three Enya arrows going around and an unknown number from this rhino beetle set.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The biggest problem with Kars, IMO, is that he shows up right after Wham, who rules and was extremely good throughout his entire character arc. Wham, Straits, and Santana are great villains who draw the best out of our hero, while Esidisi and Kars are just kinda there to be rude and evil. Kars is overshadowed in impact and personality by almost every other villain in his own part.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Twinklord Diavolo 500%

Kira's okay but its hard to get excited about someone who is so aggressively straight and intentionally boring to not stand out

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Silver Chariot's power is "cut." Every stand can smash - only silver chariot can cut and pierce.

It's super basic, but so are most of the early stands. Hierophant Green's power is "shoot emeralds" and Tower of Grey's is "fast bug."

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If King Crimson consistently used all the powers it's shown to be capable of, it would basically just be The World.

At the same time, the entire point of King Crimson is to ostensibly be a time manipulation Stand that has sufficient weaknesses and catches compared to The World that you could actually beat it by clever thinking.

This is pretty much exactly the issue with KC, yeah. It's The World with limitations - you can out think it, if you plan far enough ahead, and it can't kill you during skipped time. You could actually beat this with clever thinking and a decent stand! But then it also has Epitaph so gently caress you, its just basically the best stand around.

I wonder how much better this ending bit would be if Epitaph was actually Doppio's stand - since Stands are tied to your soul and we know the boss definitively has two souls from Chariot Requiem's nonsense. It would make them in their current borderline invincible state while the boss is together and working with himself, because Diavolo could use Doppio's sight to stay one step ahead at all times. This wouldn't undo Doppio's previous fight with Risotto in any way, either - Diavolo is in control, so he can take Doppio's power but not the other way around, that seems just fine logically. Make Doppio a precog and Diavolo the power hungry time-skip nightmare boss.

And doing this would make him vulnerable after Chariot Requiem separated Doppio and Diavolo from each other. You'd need to replace the plot beat of Bruno's body getting immediately gunned down so Doppio and Diavolo had a hot minute to try and work together as separate people, but I think that would make for a better setup anyway.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 1, 2019

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Thinking on it a little more, this would also make each fight a separate configuration of KC and Epitaph. Bruno had to fight them both working together at full power, which is why that fight ends with "all of us will die, run."

Risotto only had to fight Doppio alone, so that fight was Epitaph having to make do without King Crimson.

And this final battle is the opposite, with Doppio torn out of Diavolo's body so Diavolo would have to make use of King Crimson without relying on Epitaph's sight.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Pootybutt posted:

It would've owned getting at least one major battle where Avdol got to really cut loose against a stupidly OP opponent and bring a whole building down w Magician's Red, maybe having to do creative poo poo like melting things down or drawing all the oxygen out of a space.

I want that scene of Narancia walking down a street full of fire and exploding cars, but with Avdol.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I enjoyed the visuals of Giorno sending diavolo to the Great Days OP, but these last couple episodes have sure been a clusterfuck.

As an anime-only jojo liker, Part 5 is overall my favorite part, as it is just a better implemented Stardust Crusaders in most ways. But this final fight is (so far) the weakest by far. A lot's happening but its mostly weird nonsense instead of like, across town car chases or pirahna attacks mid-flight or "anything could be a bomb" mind games.

Part of my disappointment is probably from that thing I posted earlier where Doppio should've had Epitaph as his separate stand from Diavolo's King Crimson, which would make Chariot Requiem actually meaningfully change the stakes of the fight beyond "ok now everyone is super confused." IDK, there's some cool powers at play here and they're mostly being wasted.

Also wow the body count has just been climbing this part, huh. I will be surprised if Mista survives these next two episodes, but I hope he does. He's the goodest boy in this whole part.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
They put metal plates on their face for fashion

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The biggest problem with Fugo is his outfit is terrible. There isn't a single part of it that's good. He should be banned from the mafia for even trying to wear that lime green jacket full of holes. Why does it only have one button? Why does he wear nothing under it but a strawberry tie that goes over his belly button? Atrocious.

The fact he wore almost the exact same outfit but sensible and nice-looking and not full of holes in his flashback as a teen college kid is infuriating.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
D'arby the Elder will always be the best part 3 fight in my heart. Everyone gets in on it but Avdol, Joseph's gambit was brilliant, D'Arby's counter-gambit was even more brilliant, and Jotaro's final method of winning relied on nothing but overwhelming willpower, which is great.

Hanged Man, Vanilla Ice, Pet Shop, and DIO are also very good fights, and more actually fights, but I'll always love D'Arby's fight the best.

Also while part 1 is being discussed again, I've said it before but part 1 just has a super weak middle section. The first 3 episodes are incredible, the last 2 episodes are excellent, the 4 episodes between those points are super forgettable. Jack, Bruford, and Dooby are all terrible fights, and Tarkus is barely better, only really getting elevated by Zeppeli's roundabout cliffhanger as he walks to his death, which was Very Cool. All of these middle fights are basically "Haha! I am scary and strong because I can do this weird trick with (a horse/my hair/snakes)!" and then Jonathan has no way to fight them!!! Until suddenly he does and they die instantly.

Its my least favorite part of the 5 the anime has covered, but the start is so strong, with Dio's arrival and plot to kill Jonathan's father, and the end is extremely good, with Dio's near-death at the castle followed up by the extremely dramatic finale on the boat. It's just a shame the middle is full of stuff like turning dry leaves into a hang glider and swimming down to the bottom of the river to find a bubble so you can shoot lightning magic through the water and other weird arbitrary nonsense. Not even the good weird arbitrary nonsense I like from the series, just the boring ones that come out of nowhere and never come up again.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Apparently some footage has surfaced from the cancelled 2007 Phantom Blood movie, and it looks Neat.

The folks with the footage are releasing all of it in a couple days, but put up a preview on youtube in the meantime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ToYJct9Cc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I like most of those watches (Mista's skipping the 4 is excellent), but wow Trish's is a nightmare. That watch would be just impossible to read, its hard to look at it.