Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm loving Giorno being an unabashed dick. He truly is his father's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Fighting Gold feels a bit like a typical shonen opening, but in a different way than Chase. It’s still cool, though.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I can’t wait until Part 6, where we’ll get Leave (Get Out) as an ending song.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

RIP Mario, though.
Even in death, Luigi’s mistaken for his bro. What a bummer.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Justice being beat by Star Platinum sucking it into it's lungs and somehow choking Ebanya is one of the most disappointing conclusions to a stand fight.
I’m probably the only person who had no problem with the way that fight ended. It’s just super strength applied to Star Platinum’s lungs.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

knowing their ages really puts a lot of these interactions into perspective, six 15 - 20 year olds living in close proximity to each other are absolutely going to intensely gently caress with each other
Especially if they're in organized crime. Codes of honor don't mean poo poo, they'll find a way to piss each other off anyways.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I like that Bruno's added the extending zipper-fist to his repertoire of attacks after seeing Giorno use it on him. Or maybe it was already his and he just suffered the indignity of having one of his own tricks turned back on him. Either way, it's a cool move.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

the original lovely fan translations must have been really lovely because I can't see how anyone could be divisive about part 5
The original fanslations just made stuff up sometimes, so yeah, they were incredibly lovely.

It's almost a shame the Dance was such a masterpiece, because Mista's horrible bullet gremlins kind of got overshadowed. I'm happy they still got their fair share of attention, though.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I was actually looking forward to Part 5 getting animated because I wanted to see it benefit from a translation that wasn't a complete mess. Someone made a significantly better translation of the manga, though.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
90s boy band music fits the Vento Aureo boys like a glove.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

a strength of jojo is that it's so sure of its own poo poo that you're inclined to believe it because on top of everything else araki goes whole hog when it comes to coming up with explanations for weird poo poo that normally would never get an explanation
The essence of Jojo is Jotaro constantly raising the pot while everybody loses their goddamn minds, except Jotaro is entirely confident that he's got an unbeatable hand.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Jotaro's absolutely not confident that he has an unbeatable hand, he's the literal opposite. He knows he has complete garbage, but mentally dominates D'Arby by acting like he's so confident of his victory that he'll bet the lives of people who aren't even in the room
That's what I meant. I was trying to illustrate the difference between Jotaro being unable to rely on his cards and seeking other avenues to victory and the manga presenting everything with utmost confidence, no matter how unbelievable they are. My metaphors may need a bit of work.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
It's cool. Jotaro bluffing his way through the poker game is easily one of the best moments of the series. It's always satisfying to see somebody win a poker game through some good old-fashioned mind games and poker faces as opposed to some good old-fashioned luck.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Moody Blues beating the poo poo out of Illuso while making VCR noises and dial tones is so, so good. DavidPro's decision to incorporate its recording motif into the sound design is going to pay off dividends.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Abbacchio might be missing a hand and gallons of blood, but at least he got to hear Giorno screaming in mortal agony. That counts for something, right?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I love that Araki put his own spin on the classic story of a novice who steps up to reach his true potential and fulfill his mentor's wishes after he's killed by their enemies, except the protagonist of this coming-of-age story is an assassin with self-esteem issues and his newfound confidence just puts our actual hero into deep poo poo.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Edit: Someone already brought that up, never mind.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Bruno refuses to die until he's finally brought Trish to a fancy restaurant, like every other troubled teen he's brought under his wing.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
New OP is cool, but not the best Jojo's has ever had.

I'm also not a big fan of how the others never really connected the dots except for Giorno, but this fight still gets me really tense because miscommunication just makes me anxious in general.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
There's just something really fun about the bad guys trying their best not to attract Narancia's attention. Just seeing these hardened mafia thugs desperately trying not to get wrecked by a skinny, undergrown dimwit makes me want to laugh, even if the dimwit is actually pretty smart when it comes to life-or-death fights and has a miniature fighter plane on his side.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/553268372331573248

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I love how Carne's death ended up turning the Tyrrhenian Sea into an Italian Bermuda Triangle. You gotta wonder what the conspiracy theorists make of the airplane crash and the increase in casualties. Hell, there are likely some Stand-users who have zero idea of what's going on.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The biggest downside of Risotto's power is that it's extremely difficult to translate to a fighting game moveset.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

they made abbacchio into a fighter somehow despite his stand being like the exact opposite of something worth a poo poo in battle, so don't discount anything
You mean in the PS2 game? He did kick Illuso's rear end pretty badly.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Every time I saw that kid with the pink hair, there was a voice screaming NO NO NO NO NO in the back of my head. Abbacchio’s demise itself got me really bad. I could feel a lump in my throat forming when Narancia was having his breakdown.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
By itself, Green Day would come right behind Ratt as the most disgusting Stand so far for me, but the fact it's being used by a former doctor who records snuff films and gave his patients just enough anesthesia for them to wake up and feel everything he was cutting up puts it over the top. :gonk:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

i like how it looks like sticky fingers is about to suck king crimsons dick
That's not what it's trying to do.

Somebody compared Cioccolata to the Joker earlier, but I think even the people of Gotham would rather take laughing to death on Joker Venom than being consumed by flesh-eating mold. Of course, the latter sounds like something Poison Ivy would come up with on a really bad day.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
THAT loving WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HOLY poo poo

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Trying to be inconspicuous while looking like a member from an 80's glam rock band.
Diavolo knows it’s not what other people think about your outfit, but what you think about your outfit.

Well, not exactly, because if anyone else knows enough to make a judgment, he’s got to give them a knuckle sandwich straight through their stomach.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
All Star Battle had a costume for Diavolo that gave him a suit and casted him in silhouette, and it looked really cool.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
It’s probably bad that a dumb smile came over my face every time I heard Polnareff’s voice coming out of a turtle, considering the circumstances.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
As soon as Narancia started talking about all the cool stuff he was going to do once they finished up with Diavolo while the soundtrack swelled, I felt pure, undistilled resignation. I already knew he was going to die, but they really wanted you to know he was absolutely done for.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
My mental image of Diavolo is anchored directly to King Crimson instead of his tatted-up rock star look at this point. Pouring one out for Doppio, the best lieutenant a mafia don could ask for.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 28, 2019

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
This ending is disliked for some already apparent reasons, but I like that Bruno the good dad hosed over Diavolo the bad dad one last time and finally gave up his life in the process, even if the method by which he did it was an extension of the light behind their heads nonsense.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think someone said a while back that Diavolo was a moron? This is basically the culmination of that. The guy spent the entire part running and hiding from enemies and bystanders alike, but now suddenly his pride is at stake and he refuses to run when facing the most ridiculous adversary he's ever met. :allears:
Man in his 40s: This is no good, I need to retreat.
His 15-year-old daughter: Hey Giorno, Diavolo’s gonna run away.
Man in his 40s: No I’m not, you little brat, gently caress you-

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

multijoe posted:

I'd enjoy Giorno's bullshit quite a bit more if he rolled with it and pulled it with some bombast, like Joseph did, but he's just such a wet blanket of a character that I want to see him fail at everything ...
Giorno slipping into full DIO-style megalomania when he's got that fucker good would be pretty fun. I wouldn't want him to be like that all the time, though.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Neowyrm posted:

Diavolo was only 33 when Golden Wind takes place. :colbert:
I remembered him being in his late thirties at the youngest. Ah well, the principle of the thing still stands.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Giorno reversing the hijack and doing the DIO pose blew my mind. I got so excited over something so conceptually simple, yet visually spectacular.

It seems to me that the coda with Rolling Stones simply reinforced the theme of "the journey is just as important as the destination". Bruno was always going to die young, but if he'd touched the stone, the chances of our heroes toppling Diavolo would have been far more bleak. It's further condemnation of Diavolo's viewpoint that only the results matter, more dirt piling onto his bodiless grave in a manner of speaking.

And now, it's time to end things with a dance party.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
When I think of Kyle McCarley as Narancia, I think of that scene where Narancia gets ripshit pissed at Formaggio and kicks the crap out of a car door.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Turns out Daft Punk vocals pair really well with the JJBA soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

Whoever the dialogue writer for the part 4 and 5 dubs is needs to get fired because there's way too many early 2000 amateur fansub-esque translations. I groaned out loud because Mista calls Zucchero a turdburglar.
The dub would be significantly worse if it didn't have Shigechi calling Josuke and Okuyasu beta boys.