Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Seasonal Thread Posted posted:

Naples, 2001. Giorno Giovanna is a small-time crook with one big dream—to become a "Gang-Star." No ordinary thief, Giorno has a connection to the remarkable Joestar bloodline, and possesses a Stand named Gold Experience. His dream starts to become reality when he meets Bruno Buccellati, a mobster from the gang Passione and a fellow Stand user himself. Realizing that they share similar ideals, and both disagree with the gang's harmful affairs, Giorno reveals his goal to Bruno: with Bruno's help, he will reform Passione by overthrowing the boss. As Giorno becomes a member of Passione, and is inducted into Bruno's squad, he discovers that it is no simple gang; its numbers are teeming with Stand users. Now confronted by other squads of differing loyalties and unpredictable caliber, their goal to change the gang from the inside out will be a tough one. Taking on these adversaries, Giorno attempts to rise through the ranks and inch closer to the boss, a man who is shrouded in mystery.

The boys are here, they're prettier than ever and their Stands are even more ludicrous. That's right, JoJo's back, baby! This time, we'll be following Giorno Giovanna and his merry band of criminals as they run up against the Neapolitan mafia, Passione, in their attempt to cleanse the organization of corruption.. No longer are we in a sleepy Japanese town, but instead taking a sightseeing tour around Italy in between bizarre encounters that must surely be the work of an enemy Stand. Part 5 is very standalone, even more so than Part 4, so previous JoJo knowledge isn't really required for this part other than knowing a couple names like "Dio Brando" or "Jotaro Kujo" so if you fell off the wagon or just joining the adventure, Part 5's a perfectly fine place to start (still, go back and catch up, also read the manga JoJo is good)

While an extremely popular arc in Japan, Part 5 is notorious for having an extremely poor English translation that made absolutely no sense and frequently got most things wrong. It only recently got a great translation thanks to Something Awful poster, Daxing Dan and the JoJo's Colored Adventure Group, so in the end, Part 5 kind of stands out as something a lot of English fans don't really remember well or have a low opinion of so the excitement for this to get animated is real. In general, this season will be a bit similar to Part 3: Stardust Crusaders, in that our cast will be travelling around with a mission in mind, and battling wildly dressed dudes with even wilder powers, but now, Araki has fully got his Stand Writing muscles warmed up so things get pretty bonkers, pretty fast

Part 5 will be start airing on October 5th on Crunchyroll and be going up weekly on Friday at around 1:00 - 1:30 PM EST and so far seems like it will run for thirty-nine episodes. A good bit of the staff has changed since Part 4, but so far the trailers have looked really promising and I'm really excited for this.

Just a general spoiler rule: This is the anime thread, so presumably, a good amount of the folks here haven't read this arc, so please don't post manga spoilers or allude to things coming up, and try to keep things either in the manga thread or behind spoiler tags. But before you post that spoiler behind a tag, do give a second thought if it's really necessary. We all know very well when new episodes of JoJo come out, so after that go hog wild with spoilers.

sirtommygunn posted:

Also put "6-hour probation" on the fork. e: here's the low effort content that everyone a couple people asked for:

DONT POST SPOILERS HERE, GOOD LORD
PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2u21n2V0do (def watch this, while some staff did change, the composer for Part 4 is still the same and hell yeah dude)

Character Trailers
Giorno Giovanna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw2gV-oa1pQ
Leone Abbacchio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-gyWfhMlcg
Pannacotta Fugo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQATAWAL_Is
Guido Mista: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW4n08b4P3U
Narancia Ghirga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTh6mD1Ir8U
Bruno Bucciarati: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1UNXnAsGew

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah at first I wasn't out of my mind for this season like I was with Part 4, but looking over the chapter list, pretty much every week is going to have something I'm excited to see animated

AnacondaHL posted:

kinda petered out on part 4, hoping this part can rekindle some of the magic of this series
I've been seeing this sentiment a lot, and now I'm wondering if the slice of life pace of Part 4 along with a weekly drip feed is what caused this. So maybe going back and watching it all at once will help? Part 4 is laid back for sure, but it's got some of the best fights and characters for my money.

Part 5 is a bit more of a return to "form" as much as JoJo can have one, in that our characters are actively trying to do something other than "live a quiet life" and get impeded at every turn, but also carries a lot of the goofy bits of Part 4 and a bit in Part 3 where we get to see what absolute weirdos are main characters are.

Relin posted:

i hope crunchyroll translates the italian character names literally
it's on the weaker end of the parts so dont force yourself to like this
I read this as "Part 4 is on the weaker end of parts" and it was like you insulted my hair

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 26, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Monaghan posted:

The only part in part 4 that I wasn't too hot on was when Kira's dad started randomly making new stand users. That really felt like it was filler.

Granted there was some awesome poo poo like cheap trick and Enigma, but then we had the tower fight.
Even this owned cause Kira got to fight a cat that turned into a plant and almost die of an embolism

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What happened to "I'm going to make you an offer you won't understand"???????????
lol I forgot about that. I feel it's too much of a manga reader joke and that's not fun

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like the idea of Engima, and the anime does great stuff with style in that arc. Other fights "caused" by Yoshihiro were Highway Star and I Am An Alien so in the end I'm glad Araki stretched out Part 4 to fit in more fun ideas

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah Part 5 really does a lot better with giving people screentime, it's not the Jotaro Kujo Show. The cast is a gang and are great at working together to overcome enemies

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Araki operates on entirely what he thinks is cool and fun unless he thinks of something cooler or decides it wasn't all that cool and sometimes he remembers to check his notes and i love it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Joseph practiced the ripple for like two months and stopped the second he fell into the volcano. If you think he thought at all about brushing up on it ever, you don't know Joseph Joestar

Theres a reason Tonpetty shows up to fight Dio in Part 1 and Joseph needs help getting around by Part 4. Its less so an act and moreso bouts of lucidity

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

YggiDee posted:

On one hand, DIO BLOOD. On the other hand, that thing where he convinced Jotaro that he was DIO reborn. That's the greatest poo poo he'll ever pull. I mean, how fast was that turn around? Joseph was literally dead on the table, and in the five seconds between regaining brain function and waking up he has already 1) Figured out that Jotaro gave him a transfusion of vampire blood 2) Decided that the way to thank all the nice people for saving him is to scare the poo poo out of them 3) Managed to make his eyes glow red. But anyway, this was Joseph's crowning achievement as a human being, and as a consequence, he subconsciously gave up afted.
my favorite part is that he uses hermit purple to create the spooky mood lighting if you go back and watch tt

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Within 10 minutes of arriving in a sleepy seaside town to sort out a family financial issue, Jotaro punched a 16 old in the jaw in the middle of the street.
there were like five witnesses to this too

had to save face after that sixteen year old destroyed his hat

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that panel will be in the very first episode

and yeah, i guess i should have mentioned that you could technically have watched the first episode by now. it was shown at an event a few months back and there are translated phone quality videos of it. it's really good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's right here?
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/09/28/crunchyroll-announces-final-fairy-tail-anime-and-more-for-fall-2018

seems like they haven't gotten the region and air times figured out

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Episode 1 airs tomorrow! Wow!

watch this if you want a refresher if on Part 4 imo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_if8Y9PdDHg (dont watch any of these for parts you havent read obvi)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Hey, I'm an idiot, not a villain

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
domani....

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
warning: do not mouse over that spoiler, it is Part 5 endgame territory

yeah, it's important remember that jojo is over thirty years old now, with part 5 being over twenty (it started publication in '95) so most outlets for it don't care to hide anything about new characters or their fates

as for your spoiler: dont worry about it, he's just taking things slow these days, he's fine

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 4, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I would, probably inexplicably, be really worried by a 48 episode count for Part 7 but we're so far from reaching that bridge

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CodfishCartographer posted:

Going by page count, from when the main cast first begins fighting the main villain (the part that confuses everyone) to the end of Part 7 is slightly longer than the entirety of part 2.
part 7 is just that epic

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i just watched consumer culture in action

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

eonwe posted:

So the OP said there was a good translation. Is that floating around anywhere that I could have a link?
here you go!
http://jojocoloredadventure.blogspot.com/

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
thank you i spent a lot of time debating between the licking or FRUITY

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i've seen the first episode three times now and I don't think I can make it to next week, good lord

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
you see the hat is normal in a younger photo so my idea is his mom got him the hat as a teen but it got too small and blew the back out but he keeps wearing it cause jotaro loves his mama

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that was probably the least gay thing that'll happen on the Gay Things In Part 5 list

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lmao reminder that this is still happening
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1031232080204705792

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I raise you
https://twitter.com/KingMemeson/status/1048501521737035777

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Honestly yeah, every JoJo gets progressively more and more out of their mind and progresses more and more into criminal territory

Stairmaster posted:

better call saul is an adaptation of part 7
I dont understand this but i havent seen season 4 yet

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I thought so too but it's still Daisuke Ono, he was just speaking softer

Pomplamoose posted:

Johnny in part 7 is more of an inversion of this. At first he seems like an innocent goodboy but then you find out about his past and throughout part 7 he's shown as a flawed, imperfect individual. He 's selfish and has a dark streak but it's nuanced enough that he never comes off as an edgelord antihero. He's just human.
I agree with you and I love Johnny but watch your posts, pal

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
there is a reason araki is paid to decide what names are used and we are not

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Trying to put physics into super power stuff couldn't be more of a tedious bore, but its doubly so in jojo where stuff just happens cause stands are such broad powerset

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Giorno saying the animals are independent from him kinda contradicts both times we see them, the (admittedly) anime only butterflies and frog both come right to him in ways normal animals wouldn't.

I assume he means he doesn't have direct exact control but idk you're doing something there buddy

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, I'm imagining Giorno's a bit similar to Vanilla Ice or Okuyasu where even they don't know exactly how their Stand works, the two of them not knowing where stuff their Stand obliterates ends up, just that it does things. Giorno can't control the animals, but yeah, has experimented enough to roughly get them to do what he wants

and honestly I kinda like that loosey-goosey nature of Stands, a power you don't get to pick, as opposed to Nen in Hunter x Hunter, where every person has prepared their senior thesis on what their power is and how it would work if B happened instead A

don't think, feel

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that's honestly just a cool little wrinkle I like, same with josuke's hair being based off a formative experience

not everything is a chekov's gun, sometimes quirks are just quirks

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
God that rules if it's true

But yeah be chill about it everyone, i dont want to have to close this thread till tomorrow

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
spoilers. christopher wallace is the notorious big

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the OP and ED are confirmed to be in today's ep from both the anime and Coda's twitter and my bad understanding of japanese

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
~1pm EST

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i will not watch this without the visuals and you shouldn't either

if someone posts the visuals without the music i'll lock this thread till next week

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
GeoJo.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It took a bit of listens but yeah this op is good, I honestly cant tell if they'll do more like they did for Part 4, this one could last them the whole time

But honestly the visuals are what to it for me holy moly