Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Idk about single player or multiplayer for that matter but CoH2 was a shockingly interesting game to watch comp. Did 3 make any splash at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'll put it this way: I mostly like CoH3 as a non-multiplayer duder who enjoys blowing up Nazis, but considering all the recent videogame industry news about layoffs, I'm legit surprised that Relic hasn't been shuttered yet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arrath posted:

The hell it is. DoW2 went the extract wrong direction and I will die on that hill. After the excellent DoW expansion where you conquer a planet they move to a squad-scale hero RTS? Where are my continent spanning armies, batteries of artillery backing up legions and legions of IG???

Then die.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arrath posted:

The hell it is. DoW2 went the extract wrong direction and I will die on that hill. After the excellent DoW expansion where you conquer a planet they move to a squad-scale hero RTS? Where are my continent spanning armies, batteries of artillery backing up legions and legions of IG???

Relic could have made a different game. DOW2 is a tight, well made squad based RTS. Both can be true.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Idk about single player or multiplayer for that matter but CoH2 was a shockingly interesting game to watch comp. Did 3 make any splash at all?

I don't know about the comp scene but I wouldn't be surprised if it's picked up a lot of CoH2 players because... honestly I was surprised by how similar they are despite the years between releases. I think CoH2 felt more different to 1 than 3 does to 2.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I'll put it this way: I mostly like CoH3 as a non-multiplayer duder who enjoys blowing up Nazis, but considering all the recent videogame industry news about layoffs, I'm legit surprised that Relic hasn't been shuttered yet.

There's still time, wait for Homeworld 3 to release and after that it might happen. They've already layed off some part of the staff. Homeworld 3's demo wasn't that great and my impressions from the community is that most people are pretty bullish on it. If HW3 is another dud like CoH3, that'll probably do it and kill Relic for real.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Homeworld 3 isnt being made by Relic, so why would Hw3 kill relic ?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Karmic punishment.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

Homeworld 3 isnt being made by Relic, so why would Hw3 kill relic ?

Ok, I'm dumb. I don't know why I confused Blackbird and Relic.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

toasterwarrior posted:

They did have over 100 layoffs last May, so.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Its too bad they made DoW3 instead DoW2: 2

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Gaius Marius posted:

And then when you feel that you're done with Shogun you can play Fall of the Samurai for a totally different experience on the same map.

I’m less sure about fall of samaurai, it felt a lot easier to break the battles than the regular campaign, which felt progressively more epic throughout.

The regular campaign has that rare appeal that when it all goes wrong you want to go again because you understand why and what you need to do next time to go further.

Even the endgame, if you go in blind, is a wtf bulkshit moment that the game directly challenges you to overcome, rather than obfuscates it.

Personally I felt FOTS wasn’t up to that level after rinsing each clean in shogun,but that’s just me… I do think the original shogun 2 is almost flawless

Cabal Ties fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 29, 2024

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I just got done with a replay of DoW2 and picked up the expansions for $13 from a timely humble bundle and while you can see the greatly increased focus on multiplayer it was still a really fun single player experience.

I was thinking of picking up CoH or CoH2 for more rts fun but the only deals I can find don’t look legit at all - cdkeys/g2a/similar are all bad news right?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
They're grey market sites that resell keys from cheaper regions I think?

Of those, cdkeys.com is probably the most legit in terms of user experience.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Basically, if it's on IsThereAnyDeal it's legit.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Trying out Terminator Dark Fate Defiance. Cant say its very good tbh.

No LoS tool, missing lots of QoL stuff, and a few other big things:

You know how in Men of War et al a garrisoned squad will not just blaze away at enemies behind impenetrable cover? Units in this just blaze away. Also you know how CoH had units teleport while garrisoned to change sides of a building etc? They dont in this, and have to be manually told where to face yet still not necessarily be able to have shots out of the building if, for instance, your 3 man HMG team in a house opts to deploy the HMG at some arbitrary spot leaving only the other two crew able to shoot. These things are abstracted in most games for good reason. Having to watch your men run around a house hoping they choose the right window is awful.

Every mission requires you to exit the map with all units after. This game incentivizes looting vehicles to immediately sell after battle if near settlements (not necessarily use them, the supply upkeep is super taxing) so you can spend 20+ minutes after a mission complete scavenging stuff. Lack of a time acceleration feature makes this grueling.

Wouldnt recommend this one.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I've been playing the developing beta of Sins of a Solar Empire 2 and it has been my most played RTS as of recent. Ironclad Studios basically rebuilt the original game in a 64 bit engine and have been making major changes to mechanics and units each month. At first I thought the developers were being too conservative with changes, but a lot of things have been revealed to have been placeholder and they have had no problems reworking entire portions that were un-fun or not working from the first game. I think my most favourite addition to the game is that there is a "tier 0" tech level now for each of the races, so things like asteroid mining have to be researched first and the Vasari start the game from outside the star system and must settle a home planet. It's still a year off or so from release, but the parts that are in the game right now are pretty fun and working alright. The AI just received some love in the last couple of patches and has been a lot more difficult to fight against. The only reason I'm not recommending it is because you can only get it through Epic Games at the moment, which is a pain.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
For those interested in the Real Time Tactics genre, there is a playtest being organised for a new game in the Commandos series:

https://kalypsomedia.com/playtest/commandos-origins/

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Entorwellian posted:

I've been playing the developing beta of Sins of a Solar Empire 2 and it has been my most played RTS as of recent. Ironclad Studios basically rebuilt the original game in a 64 bit engine and have been making major changes to mechanics and units each month. At first I thought the developers were being too conservative with changes, but a lot of things have been revealed to have been placeholder and they have had no problems reworking entire portions that were un-fun or not working from the first game. I think my most favourite addition to the game is that there is a "tier 0" tech level now for each of the races, so things like asteroid mining have to be researched first and the Vasari start the game from outside the star system and must settle a home planet. It's still a year off or so from release, but the parts that are in the game right now are pretty fun and working alright. The AI just received some love in the last couple of patches and has been a lot more difficult to fight against. The only reason I'm not recommending it is because you can only get it through Epic Games at the moment, which is a pain.

Speaking of, how is Sins 1? I got it for free in some giveaway and it has been hanging out in my games list since.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Zadda posted:

For those interested in the Real Time Tactics genre, there is a playtest being organised for a new game in the Commandos series:

https://kalypsomedia.com/playtest/commandos-origins/

I probably won't go for the play test, but I'm definitely stoked about a modern take on the Commandos franchise.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

ZearothK posted:

Speaking of, how is Sins 1? I got it for free in some giveaway and it has been hanging out in my games list since.

Good if you like that particular brand of RTS/4X hybrid (the other example being Dune: Spice Wars). Just:
- don't expect proper 4X levels of depth, it's half slow starcraft really,
- know there's no real single player content other than doing skirmishes.

But definitely worth toying with it at least a little, it's an interesting game.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

ZearothK posted:

Sins: Rebellion holds up but its longevity relies heavily on mods and total conversions. The Star Trek: Armada one is really good. The singleplayer AI is either too easy or too hard; the jump from normal to hard difficulty is quite a huge leap. As for multiplayer, it has one of the most unwelcoming communities I've ever encountered for an indie game.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Sins has great atmosphere but I never cared for the gameplay

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
FYI we never talk about this game itt but Northgard is crazy underrated. 6 years old, and they're still putting out regular updates, DLC packs, improving the environment art, improving the UI, and adding quality of life features for multiplayer.

If you look at their SteamCharts, it's just been this steady group of ~2k people all these years, and the devs just keep putting stuff out for them without even bothering to market their stuff more widely.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

FYI we never talk about this game itt but Northgard is crazy underrated. 6 years old, and they're still putting out regular updates, DLC packs, improving the environment art, improving the UI, and adding quality of life features for multiplayer.

If you look at their SteamCharts, it's just been this steady group of ~2k people all these years, and the devs just keep putting stuff out for them without even bothering to market their stuff more widely.

Reviews on this (especially dlcs) were rather confusing, seemed to be a lot of angry pvp players though (but I repeat myself), so I ignored those and I'll give it a shot :v:

victrix fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 8, 2024

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

victrix posted:

Reviews on this (especially dlcs) were rather confusing, seemed to be a lot of angry pvp players though (buy I repeat myself), so I ignored those and I'll give it a shot :v:

I played through it when it first came out. RTS is not my favorite genre and I still had fun. Not enough to be tempted into a second playthrough, but I felt like I got my money's worth.

I don't remember it real well, but I think the economy is very tightly tied to expansion, with a strict and low limit on how many people can be productive in one location. So you need to expand early and aggressively.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm getting the C&C collection for posterity but does anyone keep up with the Generals Zero Hour modding scene? Rise of the Reds and Shockwave are real fuckin cool

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Northgard is indeed really cool. Actually that studio in general is - last I checked they were like 70-80 people in France that had shipped 4 games in the last 7 years and still actively support 3 of them. Northgard has 2 new expansions and multiple free content updates planned for this year after initially releasing in 2017!

Dune doesn’t really look like my jam to play but I really enjoy watching PvP matches as a second screen kind of thing. It’s a fun mix of politicking, tactics and strategy that isn’t too short and (usually) not too long.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm getting the C&C collection for posterity but does anyone keep up with the Generals Zero Hour modding scene? Rise of the Reds and Shockwave are real fuckin cool

I'd love to know if you can still easily mod the Steam versions.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, Zero Hour is my fav C&C game and a lot of that is due to the mod scene. ROTR's been working on a massive update for ages now that will maybe finally come out this year?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
This guy has been carrying the Zero Hour community on his back for years: https://www.youtube.com/@LegionnaireGenerals

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LLSix posted:

I played through it when it first came out. RTS is not my favorite genre and I still had fun. Not enough to be tempted into a second playthrough, but I felt like I got my money's worth.

I don't remember it real well, but I think the economy is very tightly tied to expansion, with a strict and low limit on how many people can be productive in one location. So you need to expand early and aggressively.

Yeah I enjoyed my playthrough of the single player campaign. I don't play RTS games competitively so any complaints about that are lost on me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Northgard was a pro suggestion, thank you

I haven't even touched the campaign and the skirmish and conquest modes are rad

I have no idea what this game was like on launch, but it's a pretty distinct thing all it's own now, borrowing from a ton of sources

There's roguelike elements, settlers, German board games, RTS stuff, all kinds of things, all presented charmingly and easy to play

The engine/performance is a bit jank, I'll get random slow downs, but nothing too bad - I do wish I could scale up the ui more than 2x at 4k, but it's playable

Won my first few skirmishes, lost a conquest, and I'm struggling and uncertain if I'll win my current skirmish after getting my teeth kicked in repeatedly before beating my aggressor, good times

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Is Northgard the one where the AI doesn't even remotely play by the same rules, and basically just gets whatever cheats are needed and full vision, everything else? Like it's not even playing the same game?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

Is Northgard the one where the AI doesn't even remotely play by the same rules, and basically just gets whatever cheats are needed and full vision, everything else? Like it's not even playing the same game?

whystrategygamesand4xshavebeencursedfor30years.txt

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
:goonsay: Hey isn't that thing you like actually bad

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Northgard was fun but has always felt very... stiff, for lack of a better word. The gameplay doesn't have a lot of flex to it, everything's this clockwork mechanism ticking through some predictable timer, and there seemed to be little scope for any sort of extemporisation. You hit the buttons when the buttons say hit me and that's the game.

Very unlike Populous: The Beginning, a game I've been replaying because it just had a Steam release. It has got to be one of the bounciest RTSes ever made. It's over-flowing with- I think the game design term is juice? In a genre that generally does not have much juice at all. Everything is squashy and imprecise and frantic. Half of everything you can do in that game knocks units flying. Units knock each other flying- every time one initiates combat it does it by shoving the other guy- down a slope (they roll!), off a cliff (there's fall damage), into water (units drown instantly). Fire warriors will blast people off their feet and then air juggle them??

It's complete and total chaos, and on paper the game seems like it should be an unplayable mess. There are (functionally speaking) only three unit types, you can't micro them (units will refuse to disengage from a fight, all move orders are attack-move), and the commander unit's active abilities are so ludicrously impactful that they can end an army or destroy a base in the space of seconds. But it's so much fun.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

populous had a steam release?

it's only $2?????

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

populous is 3 games and not just 1???????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

populous is 3 games and not just 1???????????

They called the third Populous game Populous: The Beginning (it's easily the best one so they were correct to do so)