Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LordSloth posted:

AI War came up a while ago; following up on that with this:

AI War 2 is out, got it on a pretty major markdown between the sale (till november 1st) and steam coupon. It's good, though the changes to a fleet system are taking a while to soak in.
There's already a Thotmix LP in progress, though I haven't seen a general games thread yet.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901855

Fantastic. I don't have time yet to play it (though it was an immediate release buy for me), but an LP I can sneak in now and then.

I plan on campaigning for one of my preferred features from AI War 1: on loss of focus, auto pause and drop CPU/GPU usage to a minimum--for that extra "should really not be multitasking right now" goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Samopsa posted:

Yeah it's way simpler, in a good way.
From the wiki:

and some other changes:

I’d also add that the game has a pretty good internal AIWarapedia and I haven’t had to look at a Wiki yet.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LordSloth posted:

For co-op RTS gaming there is AI War: Fleet Command. It pretty much is the definition of long-form campaign. I’m not sure if I’d recommend it in the case of an 8-year old, however- not even considering it has a sequel now (co-op not yet implemented).

The learning curve is going to be rough, especially if you both pick it up at the same time. The graphics are underwhelming as well. Soundtrack is great but not typical 8 year old stuff. I’ve had fun playing it with my 60+ year old father, but I had to help him figure things out occasionally.

AI War lets one player play a single, powerful, upgradable "champion" ship instead of a faction. Still maybe not an 8-year-old's first choice. AI War 2 is fresh out of course, and maybe they'll implement this feature later.

Does Majesty let you do co-op?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Who'd be interested in a write-up on Heroes of Might and Magic? Admittedly, I've never played V, VI or VII, but the older ones are some of my favourite games of all time.

right here :justpost:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

That was a great HOMM writeup, thanks.

For the first time I'm looking at playing HOMM but also eyeballing the Eador series. All the games that sorta look like that have a Euro fantasy map look to them and it's hard for me to tell what's good and what ain't. Even when they were on US store shelves in the late 90's and early 00's, they just blended in with generic RPGs that I had no way of telling which were good or bad, so I'd just hunt for the next FPS.

But these days they look like bright warm blankets to wrap myself in during the winter months.

What I'm also saying is, more detailed writeups of strategy games are most welcome.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

An overview of cheap/free Panzer replacement games "for the stony broke."

quote:

If Panzer Corps 2 is to drop a fascine into my corpse-dotted Ditch of Doubt, it will not only have to hold its own in the company of modern greats like Unity of Command 2, it will need to offer me experiences I can’t get for nothing or next-to-nothing from hexy alternatives like…

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

C.M. Kruger posted:

On the Steam forums the dev has said he's not planning on doing MP until Regiments 2 because (paraphrasing) he wants to build a good base game first instead of putting that effort into something that fewer than 20% of players will try (most only once) and will be dead after a month.

A wise fellow

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Haven't played it, but Conquest of Elysium 5?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I noticed Shadow Empire is :10bux: on GOG, which seems pretty darn good, except... well it's a Slitherine-produced title, is it unofficially abandoned, or about to get a bunch of overpriced DLC or something?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty poo poo at strategy games, but this one looks like something pretty special to be bad at.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bremen posted:

If it looks interesting to you, go for it. It's actually one of the funner games I've played lately and I think the genre being niche is the only reason it's not a bigger hit.

Already bought! There's something about how weird-looking and scif-fi and ambitious it is, kind of appeals to the SMAC-appreciator in me. Although I guess it's more like the Spartan faction on Planet than anything else.

alarumklok posted:

Shadow Empire owns. Go to their janky rear end official forums and download the card art mod, the artist is loving fantastic and it's a huge step up from programmer art

Thank you! One of the worst things about buying a game like this is knowing that it probably needs mods and having no energy to figure out which ones are actually worth the time.

edit: wow their forum is slow.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 20, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

In every strategy game I play, I want to play against an AI that almost beats me, but instead I just barely beat it, and feel real good.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Took me an embarrassing amount of retries to beat the Beachhead at Thalassian level in Total Annihilation. I am bad at RTS. I kept doing poorly and restarting, finally figured out how important it is to balance metal production, desperately assembled a simple kill squad, and went looking for whatever manufacturing base was out there... and it turned out to be a limited fleet with no production or landing capability. I could have run out the clock with them just by churning out units until the end of time.

I keep wanting to be able to do things I can't do in this game:
  • pause a building queue
  • just send a cluster of units to a location, and have them stay the f*** together
  • look upon unit pathing with something other than pity, especially, it seems, boats
  • tell scouting units to just do their best to uncover the dang map

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, this is *with* the patch. But your link made me re-read the readme and learn a few new hotkeys. Still surprisingly fun, and IMO it's proof you don't need high poly models in a game like this.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Love Stole the Day posted:

New Zero Hour-like came out with a playable demo: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1965470/Barkhan/

Good to see the RTS engine from Space Rangers branching out into new places

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think it was related to refusing to add female battle bros, and some problematic flavor text indicating support for a traditionalist view or something. Both excused by some insistence on how history and people are just naturally nasty brutish and short or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The premise of most 4X's is bullshit anyway: "everyone starts on the same even footing at the same time and the cleverest wins!" Just like human history!