Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

I liked the feel of Wargame/Steel Division but felt like there were too many units that were hard to easily differentiate (also I'm just not very good at RTS so smaller scale would be nice I guess). Is that basically the pitch for this?

There's less unit variants and you have less units on the field so I guess. Also in general the objectives are clustered so you don't have to split your attention all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Played a bit of Iron Harvest during the weekend. I did not follow or watch any of the early alpha press.

Impression:
The inspiration from CoH is obvious, but everything simply isn't as polished except for sound and voice acting. Basic infantry interaction isn't nearly as nuanced as CoH even though at the moment our basic infantry has SMG, shotgun, or rifle, very easy to make them distinguished right? Well, they didn't do a good job because the TTK is so long, weapon range is so short, any unit can simply walk up to another unit and start punching them without suffering significant damage.

Yes, unit can fight in melee, and it's not quite well implemented at the moment, both from the design and technical point of view. For some reason melee is triggered automatically, and some of the weapon range is so short if you are not actively micro-ing your units, they will run around and walk into melee trigger range on their own. Melee is also done on a individual model level, so some model in the squad can be shooting, and some can be fighting in melee or run really far away from the squad to try to melee an enemy. Also models get into weird pathing and collision issue when they fight in melee, and the animation and sfx don't really sell it, units will be punching at each other from 2m away, stand around idling while waiting for their attack to cool down and bumping into each other stiffly.

As a side note crew served weapon like HMG can still fire even while a bunch of engineers are punching them in the face. Actually HMG has completely different paradigm compares to the HMG in CoH. HMG in this game is heavily armored and protected from small arms fire, has very narrow arc and relatively short range but sets up and pack up very quickly and will just kill whatever they are suppressing on their own in short order. Also they can kill most of the mech pretty quickly too especially if you can get rear shot with them.

Beyond basic infantry, everyone has the same infantry roster. It's once you get to the exosuit and mech unit where things starts to look different...however almost everyone seems to have basically the same mech. MG mech, rifle mech, melee mech, flamethrower mech, artillery mech, they look cool in action and the design is neat though.

Overall, sound design is great, graphic is ok, some questionable design choices. Worth a try.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I've been playing Partisans 1941, basically a Russian Commando game with some light management systems.

You have set characters that have skill tree and inventory so you can tailor your band to your play style. The game put more emphasis on ambush and fire fights than the Commando game, where in many mission you are expected to fight and it won't devolve into the entire map coming after you. It plays kind of like MOW when the shooting starts with cover and flanking. You can also slow down time in most difficulty level to make decision and synchronize move.

Missions are all tailor made, and I believe there are 15 missions. Though between missions there's usually a few days of downtime where base management comes in.

You can assign your partisan members tasks to find food and material or go on raid to get loot/supply. You can build a few structures that help with resource gain and workshop to make and upgrade weapon.

It's pretty fun if you are looking for this type of game.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

How does it comoare to Desperados III?

Unfortunately I have not played Desperado 3, but comparing to Blade of the Shogun and what I remember of Desperado, there's more option for open combat as combat sound is really small, about the size of your screen at max zoom and the enemy placement are usually clustered in groups so you won't alert the whole map when you start combat. Each character has two unique ability and on most level you can decide most of your team roster though some character have extremely similar ability (hey, this guy can go full auto and kill all target in a cone shape area while this guy can fire a shotgun blast that kills all target in a cone shape area).

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 20, 2020

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Any enterprising goons tried Dwarfheim yet?

I played the earlier demo. While the idea sounds cool, it was extremely unpolished. Unit movement and pathfinding were bad. Lots of number like damage and resource gathering rate were in various state of placeholder

Not sure how much progress they made since then.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Been playing the Gates of Hell beta this weekend
https://store.steampowered.com/app/400750/Call_to_Arms__Gates_of_Hell_Ostfront/
It's a mod turned game for Men of War but due to some licensing problem they decide to be released as an standalone expansion for Call to Arms while incorporating some of the features from Call to Arms (you have to own Call to Arms to play the beta, but release will be standalone).

For those of you who don't know, Men of War/Faces of War/Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 is a series of RTS that was contemporary to Company of Heroes. Unlike traditional RTS game where individual units are pretty simple entities, units in MoW are extremely detailed by RTS standard. Every unit has their own inventory, and you can freely pick up items off the ground or scavenge for useful goodies like grenades and such. All the vehicles are modeled with varying armor thickness on different sides, have limited fuel and ammo. Units can hide in bushes to remain stealthy, etc. Another important feature is "direct control" allowing player to directly control any unit like an action game, very useful for things like throwing grenade, or driving a tank to bust out of a wall (oh yeah, there's also destructible environment) to surprise the enemy.

Gates of Hell is going for a more realistic presentation, completely redone assets for almost everything (animation, model, voice acting, sound), campaign for both German and Soviet in the original style (each mission is bespoke instead of the cookie cutter ones in Assault Squad). A dynamic campaign system where you carry over units and can climb tech tree. It's still janky as hell, but there's still no game that scratch the same itch as well as MoW does.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Gates of Hell just came out after 5 years of development.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/400750/Call_to_Arms__Gates_of_Hell_Ostfront/
It's a mod gone standalone game based on Men of War, however, due to licensing issue they are now releasing it as a DLC for Call to Arms.

It has campaign for both German and Soviet. The campaign is in the original Men of War's style (bespoke scenario instead of glorified frontline skirmish mode). A Conquest mode where you can slowly build up and upgrade your forces on a multi-map campaign. Both supports coop.

They also added a doctrine system for MP, basically like the hero unit in assault squad except each faction now has several different sets to choose from.

There's some more polish here and there (new infantry animation, new voice acting, new sound design..etc). Coop should be great fun. I didn't play enough during the beta to have an accurate impression for MP.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 11, 2021

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mordja posted:

Wasn't CTA originally supposed to be a F2P thing?

No, but it is F2P now. There's some limit such as MP only and I think you level slower.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 12, 2021

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
There is a difference between exploring with LR (long range) and tanker. For human, your range must be sufficient to finish a jump to be allowed to perform a jump. With tanker's short range you will not be able to explore down the longer lane until you upgrade your engine.

Other tips:
Having more than 1 million in the bank will slowly increase morale, at high morale you get a huge, binary income bonus from civilian population.

You start having a chance to finish research early at 50% research progress, so a strategy to save money is to quickly research to 50% then let it coast slowly while you use the money freed up to build more ship or increase your reserve.

Planet can build infrastructure up to 120% if the planet is not damaged for sometime (I think 10 turns). Infrastructure is a direct multiplier on planet resource value, which is converted to ship production speed or money.

Trade network can generate an obscene amount of money.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

LLSix posted:

Any tips for Shadow Empire? I played about an hour today and it's not clicking with me so far. Not having any iron or any way to get it in my starting zone is probably not helping.

If there's no other metal source and ruin around your start location, nationalize the private scavenging operation so you have some resource income going. Trade rare metal for money to buy metal. Remember mine and industry building all need machinery, make sure you have enough to pay for the cost each turn, otherwise your building will not get finished.

Also, on your first turn check your advisor and see what skill he has, the starting advisor is usually decent, though the skill he gets might not be useful immediately. You can try to use the prospecting stratagem to immediately find deposit in your zone. You can also use the archeology stratagem if you have multiple ruin hex in your zone, if lucky you'll be able to find artifact that your recycler can excavate.

Remember you can form independent formation without an OHQ, it's more affordable since the unit size is smaller, useful if you need bodies immediately to fight. Though it's a good idea to get a brigade going so you can train up your commander, also posture card can give you a fat stack of stats basically for free.

I recommend forming the model design council first and design light tank as soon as possible. Your first light tank can just have 25mm howitzer, 5mm armor, and the smallest engine. This will keep it cheap enough even with very low income you'll be able to afford it, and it's still going to be a multitude more powerful than attacking with infantry.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 28, 2021

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Davincie posted:

do these add anything for the base game, or are the new mechanics i spy on the steam page only available in the dlc?

No, base game stays the same.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The strategic layer of Steel Division 2 is very bad at producing actual interesting battle while the auto-resolve often produce unacceptable outcome so you have to go in and fight out the battles yourselves a lot (or just let the AI actually play and fast forward instead of using auto-resolve).

It seems in CoH3 they don't even let you play these small battle, but the auto-resolve seems to generate reasonable outcome (that you can preview!). Formations just have HP instead of individually tracked TOE probably helps.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The opinion of a handful of gamers can cause a studio the size of Relic to throw away months of pre-production and concept work. Give me a break.

And just lol at historic argument. Relic is comically bad at presenting history beyond a Saving Private Ryan/Enemy at the Gate level. Even after so long they are still trying to ape the movie climatic aesthetic from more than a decade ago with masses of infantry shooting at each other from 10 feet away. We have Wirbelwind and M4 with 76 gun and Chaffee in 1943 Italy. Some corporal is giving me briefing because Relic's writing team seems to have little knowledge of military hierarchy. The scale is also all wrong with a single company storming city of hundred of thousands.

Currently the only thing I think Relic is good at is sound design and graphic.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 15, 2021

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Offworld Trading Company is free on Epic right now. It's a pretty interesting "economic RTS" by the designer of Civ 4, Soren Johnson. You battle it out in the arena of supply and demand to try to buy out all your opponents to win a fairly fast paced match (most game will last only 15-30 minutes). There is no combat besides some disruptive power like EMP or pirate attack to annoy other players that you can purchase from the black market or get in the occasional auction.

Instead, everything is traded on the open market with supply and demand derived from player activities. For example, most factions are human, so they need basic life support like oxygen, water, food, and power to survive. There is no way to not supply these resources. If you have no stockpile, you'll automatically be forced to purchase it from the market at market price, driving up demand for these basic resources. And if for some reason no player produce them the price for food can easily skyrocket and stay high until someone convert their steel factory into hydroponic plant...and if everyone does that at the same time, the price of food may crash, making the investment unprofitable. There is no tax to collect so all your fund has to be acquired from selling resources. It can be pretty brutal to invest in something unprofitable and be put into ever growing debt, which will lower your share price and open you to be bought out by other players.

There's also tech to research in the form of "patent", so they are exclusive for the player that researched it and can really shield you from some market volatility (for example, with teleportation technology you'll no longer have to pay transport fuel cost and since you no longer have transport people cannot intercept your transport with pirates).

The game is already F2P if you only want to play ranked multiplayer, but for SP and custom game you'll have to buy it.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 16, 2021

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

There was a similar (but worse) game but you were a future warrior commander guy. I had it when I was a kid and I remember driving around in the tank you could summon but I can never remember the game.

Uprising?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
It's a neat game. Unfortunately the main designer/programmer is apparently in the navy and has gone on deployment so development is on hiatus now.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
MP is still going pretty strong. 10v10 Tactical is very popular as is pubstomp lobby game where the host will immediately kick anyone new on their team while happily letting a bunch of level 1 and 2 on the opposing team. But really, as long as you can hold your own it's not too bad, most game will just stall out in the midline for 40 minutes or end in 15 minutes because how fast VP ticks in Wargame.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mordja posted:

Men of War 2 got announced, that's right, the second Men of War game, but it pretty much just looks exactly like all the others because 1C's just cranking them out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y1zhLnZyO4

Well, not much info to be gleamed from the trailer. Last I heard about new MoW they were working on a new iteration of their engine (GEM2 or 3 or something), with all new art assets. Then nothing for a really long time. Then they were making basically MoW but with World of Tanks gameplay loop called Soldiers: Arena. Actually now I look it up looks like this might actually just be the rebranded Soldiers: Arena as per:
https://store.steampowered.com/oldnews/?appids=421010&appgroupname=Soldiers%3A+Arena&feed=steam_community_announcements

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
New Wargame looking good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzRyLrbL9LE

https://twitch.tv/videos/1233207517
Alternatively their stream with Matrix has a few more tidbits of info (near the last quarter).

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 15, 2021

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

fuf posted:

Wargame was definitely larger scale in general though: you were more likely to have vehicles in groups and the game was at its best when you had loads of units on really big maps.

I'm always pining for strategy games that take place on an operational level where you move around big formations instead of individual vehicles or tiny squads of infantry. Wargame was one of the few franchises that leaned in that direction. The only others I can think of are Total War, Ashes of the Singularity I guess, and then loads of hex-based, turn-based games.

There is this game that seems similar to the concept you are going for.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1444550/Waronoi/

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What’s wrong with the SD2 infantry? It’s the only eugen game I’ve played.

In SD2 they made all tanks around 20-50pt cheaper while infantry kept the same price. They decide to give every cannon 2000m range (changed in recent patch, but that's like, years after release already). So now there's is a whole bunch more tanks all able to fire on infantry from 2000m away which really kills a lot of their ability to maneuver or do anything (I suppose you can tediously fire walls of smoke everywhere). Moving the setting from the bocage country of Normandy didn't help any as now the maps are a lot more open.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 16, 2021

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Eugen's announcement is out.
Sounds like basically Wargame but with Steel Division's QoL improvements. Army General style campaign. 1989, no prototype unit.

https://youtu.be/z4yZRkFsQUM

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Shadow Empire seems to fit the bill. Or maybe Warlock.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Not sure where to talk about Dune: Spice Wars, so I'll do it here.

Anyways, it's currently too similar to Northgard like I feared. It has the same system in Northgard where you have high upkeep and few units. No more villager work assignment, but everything takes upkeep and you can only have one of each kind of building in each province, some provinces will have POI that makes them better at producing certain thing, plascrete is wood, hegemony is renown...etc, all feel too retreaded. Tech tree is boring with most tech giving various % bonus. You have to pay taxes in spice periodically, failure to meet quota will result in penalty. Otherwise spice is your main money maker, though exchange rate fluctuate, so you can also stock up on spice to sell later.

The scale of map and units is also changed appropriately for the setting, unfortunately it makes traversing the map very slow, and make managing large realm tedious. Also there's some annoying things like harvester can be driven off by sandworm, and you have to manually send it back to work or you lose out on income.

Map movement is not as restricted, combat units can move around freely into enemy territory but units have a supply limit that drains when unit leaves friendly territory, unit out of supply will lose health very quickly and perish.

Each faction has five different unit, and there are three unit archtype, a melee unit, range unit, and demolition units (shred armor and destroy supply), then the last two are usually some variation of the above.

The main new system is that there is now a council that'll throw out proposals once in awhile that you can vote for. The person that gets the most vote will gain the proposal's benefit or penalty. Some of the effects are pretty beefy (halve construction cost, double research speed for 10min, etc). Winner takes all so it's possible you'll waste all your influence for nothing.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 27, 2022

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

How is Regiments compared to Warno?

It has somewhat lower production value, especially in the sound department. No MP is a bummer as the game is a bit too simple with just the AI since its behavior pattern can get a bit samey. I find it fun enough if you want more games of this type.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
While browsing the Autumn sale I noticed Knights of Honor 2 has a release date now for Dec 6. The first game came out almost 20 years ago. It plays somewhat similar to Total War but has simpler systems. Not sure how this sequel will hold up

https://store.steampowered.com/app/736820/Knights_of_Honor_II_Sovereign/

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
So what's people impression? I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet so I am basing things from the deep dives they've released.

It seems the maps are somewhat smaller, more like DoW2 size. TTK is often very fast, at least when compares to COH2. I feel the graphic is much more subdue in CoH3. A mortar shell explosion doesn't throw up a 20 feet high dust column, MG burst impact isn't as huge as before, less tracers flying around, so basically not as "cinematic" as the previous title, as a stylistic choice. The game also looks brighter, feels like there's not as much shadow and contrast used.

There's blood pooling now, but corpses disappear so fast it kind of just leave a lot of pools of blood all over. Zooming level was as closed up as ever. I remember watching a show match between some youtubers and one of them is using the tactical view constantly to the point of annoyance...which I feel is an obvious sign that the zoom level is too closed up to manage your forces.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 12, 2023

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Kashwashwa posted:

Has anyone tried the Broken Arrow demo on steam? Is it just me or is it insanely difficult?

It definitely didn't start the player off with an easy scenario, and also when you first start playing you probably don't know to use all the tools at your disposal. Remember to use your tomahawk missiles! There's also some bugs, apparently air unit doesn't automatically pop flare so they'll all be shot down instantly unless you pop flares yourself. That makes things way more difficult as attack helicopter seems to kill everything quite effectively.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah, I don't know how I'd feel if it's going to be broadly similar gameplay over and over for 30, 50 times a campaign, but it's just the demo so maybe the actual campaign will flow better. I don't know if it's a bug or not but my troops were able to use the defender's trenches to shoot at the counter attack wave and that just trivialize things completely when in reality defending counter attack was another huge problem.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 10, 2023

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
What's a good Armada T2 bot to mass build? For Cortex, spamming Sheldon and Fiend combo seems to work well. Good range and can run away if things are going bad. For Armada the hound is kind of similar, but their equivalent to fiend is way slower, webber perhaps?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Tried it, pretty meh. Production value is nice I guess (though the moment to moment writing is trite). There are some nice details like when you enter a building your soldier has to physically run to upper floors and to different windows instead of teleporting around.

The mission design is terrible. It made Skynet looks like idiot garbage instead of terrifying, when a bunch of nuked human slaughter machines by the dozens. Instead of executing tactics, the demo have you run tedious supply ferrying operation. The game focuses on cheesy action movie cinematic instead of showing you the intricacies and interaction of its systems. A fire fight happens, does flanking do anything? Is cover a thing?

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 10, 2023

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

trying to remember the name of a strategy game I saw. It was a top down RTS (maybe w/ pause)? Your units were mostly squares (counters), but I think you could see like tanks if you zoomed in enough.

The big mechanic of the game was being able to issue a command to a Unit of a certain rank or regiment and have everyone under them also follow that command.

I may be wrong but I believe it had an odd, one word title.

Fairly recent game, def within the last 5 or so years.

I'm sorry if that's vague but it's been driving me nuts.
Waroni?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1444550/Waronoi/

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I only messed around with it in SP for a bit a while ago so there might be some stuff I misremembered:
Units are only differentiated by their speed, range, and price. All units has the same firepower (I think all unit has something like a 12% hit chance, if it hit, it's a kill). Infantry squad can kill a tank section, but is out ranged by tanks on open ground. Infantry is also very slow, but very cheap. Artillery has long range, but is very expensive, etc

The unique aspect of the game is that if you kill a higher echelon unit, all its subordinate units die. However, there doesn't seem to be command range...soooo, why wouldn't I just put all my higher echelon unit in the back to avoid losing my lower tier HQ, or making all my higher echelon units artillery or something so it can stay in the back (there's not really any TOE, anything can be a command unit, and you can organize your force structure without any restriction except each unit can only has a certain amount of subordinate units).

I think it might be interesting in FFA, but it has basically no players and I was annoyed by the control scheme so I did not play it further.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Broken Arrow is having an open beta for 2 weeks starting on the 31st.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1604270/Broken_Arrow/

Honestly I don't really remember much from the demo last year. The UI and some functionalities were not completed so it's hard to tell if any weirdness that's occurring was intended or not. There was strict NDA so there isn't much info out there on the current state of the game.

It's going to be similar to Wargame with some World in Conflict sprinkled in. It'll have all the features Eugen wouldn't include for one reason or another like paradrop, customizable vehicle and squad, loadout for planes, NOE flying for helicopter, trophy and other similar anti missile system, tactical strike up to tactical nuke, etc. It's also going to be set in modern era so all countries will have state of art equipment available to them instead of the huge timeframe of Wargame.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 29, 2024

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Deakul posted:

Are any of the Eugen Wargames worth checking out for solo play? Miss me some World in Conflict.

Wargame SP suffers from the AI's play style. They usually like to throw units at you piecemeal so fight just doesn't feel very cinematic or interesting. There will be this intermittent stream of units coming down the same three roads until you win. Have you tried Regiments? It's even more similar to WiC and has better SP experience (though no freeform campaign).

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Hizawk posted:

This broken arrow public beta seems broken.

As soon as I click the play online button it says I need to enter a password to join some gibberish lobby.

Nothing else to do?

Welp, I guess that's your regular beta woe. I managed to play 3 games yesterday though yeah, server was down a lot.

Eligibility is still an issue...missing tooltip, text that's not scaled correctly, LOS tool is buggy (very slow, doesn't show range, bugs out and refreshes itself constantly, plain wrong half the time), no command line, etc. Income is also weird...it just goes up and down with no discernible reason (maybe because it only updates at an interval so it's hard to tell what's changing it).

Infantry seems extremely weak. Their weapons are too weak to kill tanks, and even in building they get shredded by just MG. Unit count is quite low. I don't think I have more than 10 units on the field at once in any game. Zooming annoyingly doesn't go all the way out like Warno, especially when they have so many weapon systems that has massive range like cruise missile and heavy SAM system.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Income relates to number of deployed units I think

https://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/BrokenArrow/BrokenArrow_Basics.pdf
Turns out there's a manual with lots of useful info in there. So income scales the total value of your deck and the total value of your deployed unit. One thing of note is that destroyed unit does not immediately change your income scaling. Your income only increase once the unit "respawn" in your deck.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
.BAR is yet another Spring engine game. How many TA remake on Spring engine do we need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Does WARNO have a pause function? And if so, can you issue demands while you pause? It looks right up my alley but despite years of efforts I just don't really enjoy RTS's without the ability to pause and think once in a while

In single player, yes.