Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Similarly to Zero-K, I ran across Rusted Warfare via Chrono.gg a while back (they still have free copies in their coin shop) and it seems to be a very indie take on the TA/Supcom style of RTS being made by one person.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/647960/Rusted_Warfare__RTS/

VostokProgram posted:

Maybe someone here can recommend me some asymmetric warfare strategy games. Games about running an insurgency or counter-insurgency, a guerrilla campaign, that kind of thing.

More on the grog side of things but there's Vietnam 65 and Afghanistan 11. I've only played Vietnam 65 but I feel it was plenty accessible for a war game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Soul Reaver posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of the C&C series to me? Is it that multiplayer is particularly fun?

I've never been enamored of C&C in single player. The non-fighty bits are too slow, while fighty bits felt too fast (ie, units seem to be made of tissue paper) and too unit-spammy to me to actually rate as enjoyable. I liked the concept/setting (particularly Tiberian Sun) but never really seemed the enjoy the execution.

The only one in the series I actually liked was Red Alert 3 and that's largely because of how ridiculous a lot of it was and the sheer amount of ham on display in the cinematics. I literally only bought the game because of Tim Curry.

Now admittedly I haven't played once since I was a kid, and I only ever played single player, but:
The games had a fun cinematic feel. You'd have some guy yelling at you to do XYZ in a cutscene and then go into the mission with scripted events and so on.

There was a good balance of regular missions where you'd build up a force while defending and then crush the enemy bases, and "puzzle" ones where you had to work with limited resources like Tanya or started out with limited resources and damaged units like that mission where GDI gets their funding cut.

Cool unit design. GDI had the Mammoth Tank and Orca fighters, NOD had flamethrower/stealth tanks and rocket buggies and so on. Red Alert was more conventional but still had stuff like the Tesla Tanks and so on. Tiberium Sun gave GDI mechs and more super tech while NOD had cyborgs and tunneling tanks. RA2 went further towards camp and had stuff like rocket pack infantry, airships and mind-controlled giant squids. Generals came right around when modern military shooters started taking off in popularity and had all sorts of poo poo like super weapons, anthrax missiles, nuke shooting bunker tanks, unit upgrades, etc. In all cases this resulted in some level of asymmetric gameplay, everybody had tanks yeah but they're not equal so you have to play a bit differently.

Good music.

I haven't played the more recent games, I was always more of a fan of RA2 over TS and in the time between Generals (which wasn't very "charismatic" compared to the other games) and Tiberium Wars I lost interest in the series, and when RA3 came out it looked overly silly and had SecuROM.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
In a similar vein there's Conquest of Elysium 4 by the Dominions devs, which is sort of like a very stripped down HOMM/Master of Magic version of Dominions.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/403950/Conquest_of_Elysium_4/

There was a thread on here a while back with some starter tips:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751296

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Anybody mind commenting on the Spellforce series of RTS-RPG hybrids? I've had them wishlisted for forever but have never bitten the bullet on any of the games.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Sneaking onto GOG under the cover of the winter sale is Submarine Titans:
https://www.gog.com/game/submarine_titans

LordSloth posted:

Along those lines anyone mind commenting on Disciples? I’ve only played Disciples II, which struck me as an interesting cross between HoMM and Ogre Battle.

Disciples III wasn’t that well received but there are enough differently subtitled versions (and sales) I wonder if I should give either them or 1 a try.

If you like card games and homm there is the Etherlords series. Etherlords II is the better game but it is a bit less strategy and a bit more RPG (with a single party focus that makes decks a lot less of a hassle to keep up).

I've only ever played 2 ages and ages ago (like back before GOG launched, via a jewel case release my dad got at Staples) but I've heard that the "most fixed" version of 3 is Reincarnation.

Davincie posted:

i've tried every spellforce but i always thought both the rpg and the rts sides were too shallow to really enjoy. both parts consisted mostly of attack moving and throwing a few incredibly powerful hero moves to beat everything

Well that's a bit of a shame. More on the "turn off your brain" side of things then.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
World in Conflict let you put infantry in buildings, IIRC they were a real pain to dislodge if you didn't have precision arty/bombs or the poison gas strike.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Are they good?

Nordic Warriors seems to be doing a far better job than the last attempt to make a new Myth game (Deadhold) and I was pretty impressed by it.

Another one worth looking at IMO is Regiments. It is essentially a (very indie) Wargame but by way of World in Conflict. You have Wargame style units but also have WiCs Tactical Assists, you add more units to your army by way of picking sets of "task force" units, and infantry carriers are organic to infantry so you don't have to gently caress around with reorganizing everything after taking some losses.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1109680/Regiments/

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I'd be so in for it if it was multiplayer. I'm still in for it, but i'm hoping to see a bit more.

On the Steam forums the dev has said he's not planning on doing MP until Regiments 2 because (paraphrasing) he wants to build a good base game first instead of putting that effort into something that fewer than 20% of players will try (most only once) and will be dead after a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

lispy-goon posted:

That game is one of the few that actually gets better AFTER leaving EA. That major patch after release really fixed the game

Now, if only they'd improve Freemen wormriding "animation".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knRO3xGZF7k