Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mental Omega for Yuri's Revenge would be absolutely amazing if you could save your drat campaign mid mission. Last I played you couldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

Good news everyone, as of 3.3.3, MO uses a version of Ares that lets you save again.

I just saw! This is definitely awesome news. Absolutely recommend this mod to anyone who was into RA2. It even has unique Coop missions!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

And World in Conflict successfully did :smuggo:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kerrigan sucks. Nova however, rules.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

Time for another effortpost, this one on Mental Omega.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmYE3JDL59g

Mental Omega is, by my money, one of the most fully-featured mods around. Billed as an "unofficial expansion pack" for Command & Conquer: Yuri's Revenge, the sheer amount of content in this thing eclipses that moniker. It's got a staggering number of new units, new missions, new maps, and new gameplay mechanics.

How many new units? Well, I didn't count them but the mod's got four factions, each faction is divided into three subfactions, and each subfaction has a mostly unique set of units. Diversity is the name of the game here, and while there are definitely shared archetypes across the races, they tend to play quite differently. For example, while both the Soviet's Latin Confederation and Epsilon's (Yuri) Scorpion Cell are fast and cheap, the former harasses with suicide and debuff units while the latter contaminates the battle with poison and strikes from below.

Anyone familiar with Yuri's revenge might have noticed I mentioned "four" factions because MO 3.3 added a completely new one to the game, the Foehn Revolt. They're this expensive, high-tech army that's got nanotech, plasma weaponry, and wind manipulation, and borrow a few designs from the original C&Cs and even Dune 2.

As for the number of missions, that I will count. As per the website, this mod's currently got a whopping 66 campaign levels, split into two acts, 16 side missions, and 36 co-op ones. I'm pretty sure that's more than any existing commercial RTS on the market though I'd love to be proven wrong. On top of that I'm gonna say the game probably has well over a hundred different skirmish and multiplayer maps, including PVE challenge and 1v3 Fortress maps.

The entire mod's built for CNCNet, meaning its got multiplayer support right out of the box and a much more customizable front-end. If you own Yuri's Revenge, you should definitely give Mental Omega a try. The latest version can be downloaded here.

Mental Omega loving rules but Foehn and Yunru are lame as hell.

The SP campaign is terrific though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

GyverMac posted:

I remember a real fun mod/custom map that was called ice troll tribes. In it there was several different teams of about four or so players each. Each team was a tribe. Each player controlled only one troll, and you had to forage for food, keep warm by assembling a bonfire from materials found in the wilds, and be on the look out for the other tribes on the map. Basically a survival game way before survival games became cool.

This sounds awesome

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Red Alert 2 Mental Omega rules

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Orv posted:

I had somehow forgotten just how low-rent the Tiberian Dawn cutscenes are. Kane just lounging around in a black button up.

Lmao they really are. But at the time it was the pinnacle of quality.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

Much to my shock, Balanced Annihilation Reloaded, a fork of the BA mod for TA Spring whose original aim was to remodel everything and go copyright-free, is still alive, rebranded, and probably close to a release. It also has a snazzy website.

Of course, my terrible secret is that while Total Annihilation is one of my absolute favourites, I just don't like how Spring engine games "feel" to play, but I'll still check out BAR when it's out.

This looks awesome. Is it pretty stable in your experience?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TGG posted:

Steel Division 2 is a great game but there is a LOT going on. Think Company of Heroes but zoomed way the hell out and you are controlling piles of units at once including planes and artillery. It takes a little bit of getting used to but honestly making decks is the most complex thing about it and the campaigns take a lot of the worry out of it, giving you armies already premade and ready to use. It's worth at least checking out a youtube video to see if it looks like something you'd like.

Coop campaign for 3 people is coming soon too which will own

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

I'm glad each faction gets their own anime waifu hero unit

Its the worst part of the mod lol. Hearing Libra's VA is just grueling.

Kinda not huge on the Foehn either in general narratively.

Otherwise its an amazing mod I wholely recommend. Even just comp stomps with friends is an absolute blast.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chinese 17 year old super genius and the Allied Pacific Front faction leader (or maybe just the one Japanese mega corporation, I dont remember) coupled with Yuri Scorpion Cell leader use super nano technology, mechs, and other weird poo poo pulled out of nowhere.

They're an uneeded addition overall really.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 28, 2020

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

Eh, I never played the campaigns and don't care about "the MO canon", they're a lot of fun to play imho which is what matters.

I cant disagree there. Aside from some annoyances like Harbingers :P

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rynoto posted:

The current state of SupCom (modded) arty is just so good. Big investments for big rewards and if you somehow make it to game enders the image of fields full of experimentals and t3s all skittering around while titanic artillery flatten everything is just so good. Of course it helped that even the most defensive oriented faction was only moderately turtle-y and easily countered if they didn't also mix in offense so mass artillery actually stays relevant.

Is there a Supcom mod youd recommend in particular?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yep, it was rebalanced. Theres a mod to reenstate pre-patch stuff like income per harvester. That mission in particar became alot harder, as did many others. Croatia is another that became really rough.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 22, 2021

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Call to Arms is.... uninspired as gently caress. Ive only played the first mission in Gates of Hell but it def feels better than the default CtA campaign which was as said, uninspired as gently caress.

I want a rebel campaign where the scenarios are like gathering the material to ambush a US checkpoint or convoy, then escape. Generic "kill all these enemies in town" stuff doesnt do it for me.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 12, 2021

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its sadly not very good

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Deptfordx posted:

The depth of Warzone 2100 was insane.

You could literally build a counter-battery radar, assign some of your own artillery to it, and it would automatically shoot back at enemy artillery with them.

yeah WZ2100s artillery modelling in partcular was superb. It was like an evolution of Total Annihilations with added logical automation

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

remaster Act of War, cowards

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

AoA was trash yeah. AoW tho is def underappreciated imo..

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Petroglyph's great war has been the highlight of the demos i've played, i think. It knows what it is and works for that. I can't say i'd care for it as a multiplayer game.

Just tried this one tonight. Its good fun so far but yeah we'll see

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 9, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

def recommend Beyond All Reason for any Total Annihilation fans.

https://www.beyondallreason.info/

Totally free too

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I hear Nikoomba was killed...

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dont worry, Marines dont get Javelins (iirc) because duplicating units across specs is to be avoided as a design principle. Perhaps you'd prefer the Dragon III from 2001?

APS is a thing anyway, and stops any atgm (top attack or otherwise aside from double-tap missiles only some Russian vehicles get) on a 5 second cooldown. Used to be 1 second which was lol

FPV's arent in sadly, hopefully its considered in the future

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 1, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Income relates to number of deployed units I think

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Trying out Terminator Dark Fate Defiance. Cant say its very good tbh.

No LoS tool, missing lots of QoL stuff, and a few other big things:

You know how in Men of War et al a garrisoned squad will not just blaze away at enemies behind impenetrable cover? Units in this just blaze away. Also you know how CoH had units teleport while garrisoned to change sides of a building etc? They dont in this, and have to be manually told where to face yet still not necessarily be able to have shots out of the building if, for instance, your 3 man HMG team in a house opts to deploy the HMG at some arbitrary spot leaving only the other two crew able to shoot. These things are abstracted in most games for good reason. Having to watch your men run around a house hoping they choose the right window is awful.

Every mission requires you to exit the map with all units after. This game incentivizes looting vehicles to immediately sell after battle if near settlements (not necessarily use them, the supply upkeep is super taxing) so you can spend 20+ minutes after a mission complete scavenging stuff. Lack of a time acceleration feature makes this grueling.

Wouldnt recommend this one.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

Any other big cool mods for RA3? Honestly I just got the pack in order to play Zero Hour and Zero Hour-like mods, and RA3's Generals Evolved is the best incarnation of it because the engine is much better in terms of visual quality and stability

Also drat I only just realized that whatever in-house engine they used for those games didn't go past 30 FPS by design. What a strange limitation

Does Generals Evolution have campaign support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hows the Conquest mode in Dune?