Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Yeah this is a great game, maybe filling a bit of a niche of 4x gameplay without the poo poo AI, whilst having RTS that isn’t all about how fast you can click.

Sneaky commandos round the back is a glorious move. Watch the replays from the opponents pov and their towns and oil rigs gets destroyed in fog of war without seeing a single soul, and just a quick sound notification to let you know your economy is hosed as your opponents main force rolls in the front entrance.

There’s been at least 2 games where I’ve been whittled down to just my last couple troops but have been able to push back and fight for the win when I thought it was over, usually thanks to late coming air support before they have anti air with their invasion forces. The game punishes your mistakes but you can also get the time to realign and go again if you can hold on and keep an economy going, and tactics like diversionary attacks, probing raids and ambushes can all be achieved and works great when you have a largely hidden force or you cut off their invading force in two with hidden troops coming into the flank. loving great stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
The game is a labour of love by 2 part time developers. It’s almost more of a concept than a full game.

Speaking to one of the devs on stream they apparently turned away some big publishers because they were worried about their overall control of the game and licenses etc.

Whether that’s for better or worse I dunno. The game certainly has a lot of quirks you need to work around that compromise the idea of easy management somewhat, and as it’s 2 guys passion project I do question how far up the list some of the user experience improvements it could do with are, like; changing key commands, better colours, not being purely reliant on sound for certain notifications.

As far as AI goes; a tutorial game on a predetermined start; with actions the computer player would undertake automatically similar to what a decent player would do would be fine to get people started.

Otherwise I just feel the game is too dynamic and there are too many starting strats to make for a viable typical ai - save for training a self learning one (which would be pretty neat).

It still deserves your support if you enjoy strategy because it does so much well in a simpler way than either 4x or rts games; let alone combined.

There is a lot going on in Line War but it’s also easier to get going; and really satisfying to play when everything comes together. But better players will harass the poo poo out of you and gain so much more territory to new or worse players it’s pretty easy to get overwhelmed. So it does need some tweaking/middle ground almost, and patience. I can see why people are turned off by the lack of AI in that regard.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Thanks! Hopefully see you online :) I do kinda feel bad for the devs because even I want to take the idea of line drawn strategy rts and build a polished product out of it. I do actually think these guys maybe spawned a new genre offshoot and some other studio is going to make something substantial with the ideas here.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Play Shogun Total War 2 it’s probably the best all round strategy game of our time and includes turn based 4x and real time

It’s not as large scale as other total wars at the start at least so it’s more manageable and feels a lot more strategic as a result.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Gaius Marius posted:

And then when you feel that you're done with Shogun you can play Fall of the Samurai for a totally different experience on the same map.

I’m less sure about fall of samaurai, it felt a lot easier to break the battles than the regular campaign, which felt progressively more epic throughout.

The regular campaign has that rare appeal that when it all goes wrong you want to go again because you understand why and what you need to do next time to go further.

Even the endgame, if you go in blind, is a wtf bulkshit moment that the game directly challenges you to overcome, rather than obfuscates it.

Personally I felt FOTS wasn’t up to that level after rinsing each clean in shogun,but that’s just me… I do think the original shogun 2 is almost flawless

Cabal Ties fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 29, 2024