Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Thordain posted:

Whatever the absurd controversy is over Rome: Total War 2, it reminded me that I skipped that one due to the bad reputation on launch and people complaining about the dlc strategy. I played a ton of Rome 1 and heard that the updates they've made were good, should I get it now?

If you like the setting/time period and it runs well enough on your PC, you'll like Rome 2. Go get it on Steam and try some skirmish battles in the 2 hours return window.

The Warhammer games are the best 'games' out of the series, just because they are pretty good about learning how to improve/add/remove and the more recent the game, the more the devs have learned. That said tons of people still play Medieval 2, Napoleon, Shogun 2, Rome 2 ect just because they want to play in that setting.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Prav posted:

how could anyone be excited for a relic game after the vile poo poo that was coh2

Because CoH 1, Dow 1 and Dow 2 were so drat good

I hear coh2 is actually good now??? I thought it sucked when it first came out though and never tried it again

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Junkie Disease posted:

Any good Campaign Coop games anyone would recommend that the coop doesn't feel like "were sending our blobs of troops at the same target" level of coop? Like some actual depth

How many people are you looking to have play at one time?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Junkie Disease posted:

Pals NOPED the heck outta SDII. Shucks

Too complicated and not fun looking?

What RTS/Strategy games have you guys enjoyed before?

4 players is a tough spot but I bet there is something we can suggest.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Junkie Disease posted:

is it kinda like dawn of war II with fun rear end upgrades?

The entire Total War series is an option. It has real time battles mixed with a turn based world map that is like civilization lite. It’s definitely more in depth than blob up units and throw them at the enemy. The series has a huge variety of time periods in the different games, from Roman Empire to Shogun japan, Napoleons Europe, medieval Britain and Three Kingdoms China. Most are historically based except for the Warhammer games which are fantastic fantasy.

The full campaign coop is limited to two players, but you can play single multiplayer battles with up to 6 people. I’ve played tons of multiplayer quick battles and full campaigns, lots of fun to be found in them.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ratt posted:

Does anyone know of some good play by email strategy games? I've been playing Age of Wonders 3 with friends, but we've been wanting to try something different. I've been eyeing the Dominions series, but I don't think they'll be down, not sure what else is really out there.

Just two people - Twilight Struggle's excellent adaptation is on steam. Full games take about 2 hours (if played through), or you can do the late war start for faster games.

Up to four -- Galaxy Trucker is another board game adaptation on steam. It can be played asynchronous or live, both are a ton of fun. The initial building phase actually plays very different depending on if you are doing live or asynchronous, it's pretty cool.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mordja posted:

This looks cool. Space RTS coming to EA later this year, supposedly includes some amount of logistics and 4X elements. Really nice mechanical design and great looking destruction physics and I think it's primarily a one-man game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuE6gveOJMc
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1280190/Falling_Frontier/

Something about it reminds me a little of Starsector, I think its the small-to-medium scope, weapon arcs and relatively deliberate combat.

this looks cool and kind of gives me Nexus Jupiter Incident vibes, which I really enjoyed

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

avoraciopoctules posted:

I decided to buy a new desktop computer to celebrate finishing grad school, and I'd like to play a big fancy RTS or Action-RTS hybrid to put it through its paces. I like flashy magic and single player story campaigns. Looking back, I have the greatest amount of nostalgia for Warcraft 3, Rise of Legends, and Armies of Exigo. I currently play Sands of Salzaar and Warlords Battlecry 3 a fair amount, since my old laptop can actually handle 2D isometric battles. The last 3D RTS I remember playing was Divinity: Dragon Commander. I bounced off of Total War: Warhammer pretty hard, I think my main complaints were about the story and running out of spells in battle. I'm not looking for challenge, but I am willing to take on difficult games if the spectacle or story are engaging.

Looking at my wishlist and Steam library, Empire of Ember is a recent game that will let me have fun micromanaging my base between battles, Spellforce 3 aims to replicate the cool stuff I remember from Warcraft 3's story campaigns, and Kingdom Under Fire II is a mess of korean MMO nonsense that gradually turns into very flashy war battles without charging a subscription. I haven't played any of them yet, so my impressions could be way off. Would you recommend one of these in particular? Anything else that I might be missing from the last couple years? Thanks!

Company of Heroes 1 and 2 and Dawn of War 1 and 2. Peak Relic was peak RTS in the last 10 years.

and for not RTS suggestions but still great games that balance action and strategy how about XCOM: Enemy Within and Xcom2.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 25, 2021

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Yea DoW2 campaign is a lot of fun, skip DoW3 entirely because it sucks.

avoraciopoctules posted:

I definitely remember having a lot of fun with Dawn of War 1. Soulstorm is still sitting around my house on CD, I think. I skipped out on 2 and 3 because they toned down base building and removed a bunch of factions, but I'd be willing to give one a shot. I'll add CoH to the list, it may not have magic but the story campaign could be pretty good. Thanks!

Still, I'm hoping to try out something no more than 2-3 years old. Anything that came out more recently you'd recommend?

Hmm it's pretty sparse going these days for quality RTS games, but I think if you wide the parameters a bit you can get some good stuff.

Maybe check out Battlefleet Gothic 2? Its RTS battles with lots of very flashy abilities, some more technological but some literally space magic. It has an overworld Total War style campaign laid on top of it where you conquer the galaxy, it has a story, which is fun and the voice acting is hilarious. The story is less of a focus than something like Warcraft 3. Came out quite recently.

Spellforce 3 actually looks like about as close as a modern Warcraft 3 as exists right now, I would definitely try that out for the two free hours steam gives you to refund. Looks like it was released in 2017? So maybe just outside your timeframe window.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Bloodly posted:

Sounds like you're looking for Cossacks 2, which tried to change it up a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_tlhY0xbNc&ab_channel=NapoleonicWarsOnlineNapoleonicWarsOnline

Company forming is automatic.

uh this looks pretty cool, I never looked into the Cossacks series, but this seems pretty cool.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Their realization that RTS is a smaller genre, but strategy games seem to be doing just fine and to work towards merging the two is a really smart idea. Lets hope it pans out

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
ahh I see that Steel Division 2 finally launched the long awaited Army General Coop mode for up to 3 people, I might give it a shot. I've been looking for something similar to Total War (campaign + battles) that works for 3 players.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 15, 2021

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

commando in tophat posted:

Hey folks. I'm making a lovely space RTS, something like a discount homeworld. And when I say "making", I mean I'm doing it alone with my own stupid engine, because I'm an idiot, and it is taking years. It is a hobby project and freeware. The game is very much unfinished (e.g. untextured ships, next to no sound), but if any of you would like to try it and give me some feedback (e.g. email, or in game form in esc menu), I would greatly appreciate it. Some new perspectives on this would help me a lot.

Here is a crappy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtWffqyGW9w
And here is a crappy webpage https://www.soil-rts.com from where you can download it.

In short (longer version on webpage), you collect resources, take them to your base/mothership, build ships, fight other ships. Pretty standard stuff. Ships can lose turrets, engines, etc. There is something like 9 missions of which first three are more like a tutorial. Ships that you have at the end of mission are transferred to next mission (along with any damage and experience gained). I left saved games at the start of each mission for convenience (if missions are boring or problematic). The game is a bit slower paced, but can be run at 4x speed, if lovely performance allows

Sorry for spamming the thread! :unsmith:

I dont know why i feel the need to mention it but I really like your design for showing movement vectors, its simple, clean and it works with the little circle line style

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
thank god they are working on the UI, i'm honestly surprised they are taking that feedback. but really they should just roll it all back to coh2, they reinvented the wheel on so much poo poo

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

pedro0930 posted:

While browsing the Autumn sale I noticed Knights of Honor 2 has a release date now for Dec 6. The first game came out almost 20 years ago. It plays somewhat similar to Total War but has simpler systems. Not sure how this sequel will hold up

https://store.steampowered.com/app/736820/Knights_of_Honor_II_Sovereign/

Very excited to see how this turns out. They need to market this more!!!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I’ve always wanted to get into BFME and your effort posts have done the trick!

Does it have any coop multiplayer options?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mordja posted:

D.O.R.F. RTS, that game being made in the OpenRA engine has a Steam page, not that I expect it to come out anytime soon.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2388620/DORF_RealTime_Strategic_Conflict/

wowzer that looks dope

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

VictualSquid posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. My father already owns most of them except for Tactics Ogre and the Warhammer game.
I will get him to try some when I visit him next time and lend him my controller.

Of the ones I have tested in the meantime:
For Xenonauts (2), Terra Invicta and Battletech I couldn't get controller support to work. If it exists it is probably some lazy second thought mouse emulation mode hidden after a complicated setup.
Shadowrun and Civ6 is a lazy mouse emulation mode with no documentation or tutorialisaton.
Xcom2 controller support is a buggy mess, though it looks fine if it works. I doubt that he wants to deal with that.
Jagged 3 looks good. Though he probably will need a way to increase font size for the UI.
AOW4 has a mediocre mouse emulation mode with minimal documentation. I will ask him to try it.

I played xcom 2 with a controller, didn't seem to have any problems. What kind of issues are you seeing with controller support being buggy? I have an xbox series controller with the offical wireless dongle and it works fine. You MIGHT have to make sure you turn the steam controller emulation OFF for Xcom2, so that it doesn't try to emulate the controller (even though windows is already recognizing it).

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 25, 2023

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

VictualSquid posted:

I had to switch to big picture mode ultimately, and then click to several warning saying that the game doesn't have controller support and how I should activate controller emulation. It worked after ignoring those messages.
It refused to detect the controller when launched through normal steam. I also experimented with all sorts of emulation switches in the steam setting before, following some internet guides but none of those worked. I use an Xbox series controller with a cable.

Ah that does sound like a pain in the butt.

Chaos mode option -
You could play Stellaris with a controller on a pc if you have Gamepass ultimate, you could use the cloud gaming streaming option which runs an Xbox Series S version of the game (which has a specific to console UI and everything for Stellaris that isn't available on PC). This method of Gamepass Ultimate Cloud Streaming would work for quite a few games that would give you games with a native console/controller interface include Civilization 6, Crusader Kings 3 and Shadowrun. The little bit of cloud delay is completely a non issue for strategy games and you may be able to get an intro month for just 1$.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 25, 2023

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I still watch korean starcraft broodwar matches to this day, and I was so into Company of Heroes 1 that when my cpu cooler died I just opened the case on it's side and angled a box fan at it, but the peak RTS game ever made was C&C Generals

music: amazing
faction diversity: crazy unit differences AND different generals for each faction
unit upgrades: shoes & ak47s for everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Walked posted:

I’ve found myself craving a strategy game for the first time since Red Alert 2; which I LOVED back in the day

I’m considering Civ 6 and AoE4- I realize they’re different game types (4x vs RTS, etc)

However - which would be easier to digest and approach as someone with little strategy game time since like forever ago (basically I need a strong intro campaign or tutorial). Super open and will probably try both in time

Would you be into a different flavor of RTS?

The original Company Of Heroes is hella cheap and has a very fun singleplayer campaign. It still holds up great, the voice work and soundscape in particular is top notch. Its been the only singleplayer RTS to really impress me since Warcraft 3