Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?

Banner art by Kiernan Sjursen-Lien, Transition art by AbstractCactus, Episode/Thumbnail art by Sproutsnout

Ever since man and monkey walked out of the primordial ooze hand in hand exactly one million years ago, both have been gunning for the number one spot. Man's always had the upper hand but monkeys have four hands, so it's hard to say who is really on top. Today however is a major turning point. Monkeys have not only figured out pants, but they have also taken possession of a time machine. With this tool the apes are now free to run amok with history! It's up to me TheJayOfSpade to stop them. Armed only with a net, eight other gadgets, a legally required Playstation DualShock controller, and my monkey loving co-commentators (ChorpSaway and Future Friend). I have to make things right and prove who's the Chimp Champ.

TheJayOfSpade fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
actually the first game DOES have a different voice cast in the British version: Jake is named Buzz and they gave the professor a german accent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1eFymRB7J0

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I heard that this is a spiritual succesor to Toki: Going Ape Spit. Is there any truth to those rumors?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I forgot about that time where Aika was a lab assistant. Must've been before joining the Gallia military.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I rented this game years ago and got to penultimate level set by the time I had to return it and never got to buy it sadly, I did finish the third game though.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
I've only played and beaten the 3rd Ape Escape, so I can't wait to see how well this one started the series.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Oh man. Ape Escape was, I'm pretty sure my first ever PS1 game. Great times. Looking forward to it.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

I rented this game years ago and got to penultimate level set by the time I had to return it and never got to buy it sadly, I did finish the third game though.

The Bold Kobold posted:

I've only played and beaten the 3rd Ape Escape, so I can't wait to see how well this one started the series.

The 3rd Ape Escape is my favorite, hopefully by the time I get around to LPing it they rerelease it on PS4 (but somehow I doubt it)

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Turns out there were more monkeys guys!

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Wow, the American voice for Specter is real different. British one has more of a deep, smooth voice.

copperpauper
Oct 1, 2012

Flexible, Conductive, and Really, Really Poor.
I have such fond memories of this game! it's one of the first games i really played and wanted to get further in. Never beat it, hope it doesn't suck.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I don't think I played much of the full game (though I do remember a lot of what's already happened and some future levels so maybe I did), but I played the poo poo out of an old demo of it.

I definitely played later games more, but somehow remember them less. :v:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I also played the demo for this one, but the only one I ever owned and beat was Ape Escape 2. I wasn't aware that all of the ape variants with different color pants were in the first one too.

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Specter is just a puppet. We all know Donkey Kong is the mastermind behind all these monkey troubles. He broke out of jail in Tropical Freeze and now he wants revevenge.
Also the jaggy ps1 grpahics make the monkeys look so funny. I dont like the smooth and round look they end up having in later games.

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
HELL YEAH, let's net some monkeys! This was my very favorite game growing up! Give us a remaster already, Sony!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Kick off your shoes and grab a couple Buds, it's time for more Ape Escape!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c40JKwAmTXI

The way better Spectre.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

British Specter should be called Speccy, cause he sounds like a British videogame Youtuber

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Monkey it's cold outside.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Did they even grow bananas in Feudal Japan?

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Love to drink a Fire Hot Beer and enjoy the ape shenanigans on display here.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, the level where you attempt to go after Specter directly becomes a regular catch all monkeys level upon revisit.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I mean, the premise of the game is that the monkeys are messing with history, so maybe the great wall of japan is their doing?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That castle level's music is pretty bumping.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

A day late and a monkey short.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I've always assumed that DK and Pauline were King Kong reenactors and it was all a big misunderstanding on Mario's part

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't understand why the US version renamed the Modern Age areas to Futurama.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I love this game, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the US voices. Same with Gex, really. I don't know why they changed them for the UK version but I'm sort of glad they did.

Anyway this was one of the few games I 100% finished as a kid. Somehow I was a lot better at the raft controls back then than I am now, though, good lord.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah the UK voices are kinda ingrained into me and I almost can't take US Specter seriously because he sounds like an overly whiny teenager though, maybe that's what they were going for. I definitely prefer the stupidly cartoonishly hammy evil British Specter though. I almost wish there was a way to play the UK version that's running at the speed of the NTSC versions though and doesn't suffer from the 17% slowdown that PAL games had back then.

On the other hand, the US dub of Ape Escape 2 sounds better to me even if that's mostly because it reminds me of the Pokemon dub.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Are those apes continuing to elude you Jay?

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

White Coke posted:

Are those apes continuing to elude you Jay?

I haven't been at home the past week, so I wasn't able to record an episode. This Thursday we should have another episode.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

TheJayOfSpade posted:

I haven't been at home the past week, so I wasn't able to record an episode. This Thursday we should have another episode.

Good to hear. Hope you had a nice time where ever you were.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Sorry for the break, now let's escape!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Sorry, no Apes to help you Escape your family today! Happy Thanksgiving!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Also, sorry no update for 2 weeks in a row. Thanksgiving did a number on our schedules!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

A triumphant return for... THE END?

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The original apes are back!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This game is a pretty great collectathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

You're gonna carry that ape.