Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Patrovsky posted:

This show is amazing, but those Australian accents are all awful.

All Australian accents are awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Do I get into the Good Place?

Probably. Your neighborhood is designed to cater to your natural whims. Either that, or they decide that you’d just plain enjoy the bad place more, and either send you there or make your good place neighborhood a bad place monitoring/evaluation station

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

It's just a show, you should really just relax.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I read it more as a critique of philosophical absolutism, but I think it's interesting and funny that so many vocal posters are jumping to the idea that an ad-supported TV show on one of the major media companies in the country is somehow devastating to the bourgeoisie. It reminds me of conservative websites that list "the top 100 conservative songs" and they're completely unaware of how full of poo poo they are.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Taear posted:

It is absolutely about capitalism. Don't be the "Ah I see you use things in society so how can you be against it??" guy.
They really couldn't make it clearer with their Roses thing.

No one from a non-capitalist society has gotten in either. Everyone we've met from the good place is an ineffectual, unthinking bureaucrat - blissfully unaware of the harm they are inflicting and their own hypocrisy. The person who seemingly made it closest to actually getting into the good place in the past 500 years was an arch capitalist.

If you want, you can read all this as 'capitalism's harmful effect on society is what prevents good people from getting into the good place!' I think, if anything, the more accurate read along similar lines would be 'the people in the good place have turned the afterlife into the ultimate capitalist dystopia, using the tyranny of their currency of points to separate themselves and their rewards from the rest of existence.'

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

ashpanash posted:

It's just a show, you should really just relax.

Just repeat that to yourself.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Thranguy posted:

Odd that it wouldn't have come up, but we've met nor heard the fate of any believer in anything.

My guess is that this is more of a case of being some combination of being overly cautious and/or an NBC/S&P mandate to keep it vague and not offend anyone. Networks are having a hard enough time getting a broad audience, the last thing they want is to be front and center in the culture war with their silly prestige fantasy sitcom.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

I don't think the Time-Knife is a thing. I think Chidi is seeing something else Time-related, and -Knife is an intersection because he is suddenly stabbed.

It's the interdimensional hole of pancakes, I imagine it's complicated.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

King of Foolians posted:

Did anyone else notice what looked like a tiny Trevor flying across the screen at the beginning of the episode when they were walking on the space catwalk with all the tubes?

That was Chidi.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The real problem isn’t that no one gets into the good place, it’s that if you don’t get into the good place, you’re tortured.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Robot Hobo posted:

By bees with penises.

Since nearly all bees are biologically female I wonder if that's even more torture to conservatives. Post-Op Trans bees!

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 22, 2019

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The whole point of the show is that people can get better by working with each other. I know Michael and Janet aren't human, but they both get to learn along the way and be better to those around them. (Janet was never bad, of course, but she's not an automaton anymore.)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Demon played by Adam Scott. He got flicked away by the Judge, I think in the second episode of the season?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

swickles posted:

Derek from Step Brothers.

Henry from Party Down.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Kinda disappointed with the episode, to be honest. I wouldn't have thought that of the two shows, Star Trek Discovery would have had the better episode yesterday, but here we are.

One of the gloriously amazing things about The Good Place was how it continuously, gleefully blows up its premise every few episodes. It can do that because its character writing is stellar and as long as the characters stay the same, plot and even genre are malleable. So it's disappointing to see them go back to the Elanor-Chidi will-they-won't-they after we already know they're eternally destined for each other. Really sucks the tension and drama out of the scenario.

This episode felt more like setup than payoff, which is a weird way to end the season. If they were going to go to this well, they should have started doing it in season 4. I think a perfect ending to this season would have been if the last episode were one or two scenes longer and ended with Elanor greeting the new guy as the new 'architect.' Now that's a cliffhanger with some bite!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Dwight Schrute.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Just caught up, and...it's over already for this season?

All the shows that last for 22-24 episodes, and this is it after 12-13?

:smith:

Are you kidding? It's one of the best things to happen to American TV recently. When you have to do 22-24 episodes, you end up stretching too far, delaying stories and payoffs too long, and treading water too often. It's hard on the writers, hard on the actors, hard on the crew. More content solely for the sake of having more content leads to watering down your show, not improving your show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Rarity posted:

These loss edits keep getting more and more abstract

:golfclap: