Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i know some idiots think jason getting dumber and dumber isn't funny but now I live in the australian equivalent of florida I feel more deeply connected to him than ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Ted Dansons accent was obviously intentionally awful and Simone had some awful moments but I honestly didn't peg any other outright fakes although Chidis friend with the boots that I've seen before in Australian stuff is definitely affecting a broader accent than he usually has.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

it was really weird because some parts of it sounded like a legit broad accent but some just sounded as bad as Micheals awful Paul Hogan impression

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I think the fake australian accent is very funny because its essentially what happens if you affect the broad australian accent with way too much enthusiasm instead of drawling it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

oh yeah 100% even past the western sydney red rooster line where people actually have broader accents they're still very different from the sort of comically broad rural ones that inform a lot of americans idea of our accents, its v funny to watch any australian that has broken through to the american market because they all have very broad accents when they play australians despite all being NIDA graduate sorts from Melbourne or Sydney

Here's a good example of how to do it right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGEYD92eA_s

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 28, 2018

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

double nine posted:

on that note, what did michael shout when he was on the bicycle saving Chidi from airconditioning-pancake? I couldn't make it out.

I thought it was "on your left!!" but I'm not sure

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Snooze Cruise posted:

Ben's stop motion movie is probably like, my favorite funny tv moment tied with the penguins don't fly gag from the Critic.

just something about the first quarter bar of "stand" playing is the funniest poo poo even when I hear it in a different context bc of this

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

Oh good, embarrassment-based humour like the Office just makes me grind my teeth rather than laugh.

Also:
https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1035814521997127680

*janet voice* not a robot!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

"this gun will go off when your order is ready" is just the funniest poo poo i've heard all week

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

the only criticism I have with that menu is the misspelling of Four Loko and also the one menu item that doesn't contain anything "world famous"

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, I was arguing in bad faith there. The idea that a good deed is just equivalent to jabbing a needle into your arm is just to depressing not to share.
It's certainly not my personal opinion.

aw man and I just smoked meth bc of you

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Today I found out I’m gayer than I thought bc of shirtless chidi

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I'm sapphic as gently caress, I'm almost never attracted to guys, but: drat. It's not even just the body, it's the fact that someone with that brain has that body.

something very sexual in a platonic way about a grown man built like that wearing a pink shirt slightly too small for him delivering a lecture on nihilism that no sexually awakened human being can ignore

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Nah it's because Chidi is a dude so everyone gets a pass. For some reason it's popular now for straight men to talk about how another dude turns them on so people jumped on that bandwagon.

It’s bc it’s nice to have things in common with women

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Hitting the report button is a conflict of virtue ethics (not wanting to be a snitch) and shared ethical responsibility (making sure as few people as possible see that image)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The very idea of an American remake of review with miles Barlow horrifies me and I refuse to watch it on principle

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Phenotype posted:

That reference is not at all obscure.

non Floridan spotted

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm not from America but yesterday I saw a punching bag that had been thrown off the balcony of a high rise and demolished a coupe while driving down the coastal highway and I felt a real deep connection to Floridans all of a sudden

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

ulex minor posted:

There's a thousand other ways people would get that reference apart from having literally sat down to read Paradise Lost. It is in no way obscure.

Rarity posted:

Excuse me, I think you guys mean the final dungeon in FF2 best Guardian Force in FF8 :colbert:

For real I'd love to hear all the obvious references to Pandamonium bc I'm an English lit major and I got it but I wouldn't expect most people to get it bc yes it is obscure to normal people

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

well yeah, I wouldn't argue its not commonly known as a synonym for "chaos" but the reference to it being literally hell is p uniquely a Milton reference. The Doom reference is a nice common reference to it but I didn't even pick that up when I played it as a kid so :shrug:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

FELD1 posted:

Please inform me as to how taking a few weeks off is "absolute bollocks."

It’s good British spirit to have Christmas specials air on Christmas Day despite

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

swickles posted:

Jason Mantzoukas is gonna be in the Christmas special of Nailed It! so maybe we can get a "maximum Derrick!"

What

No

yes

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I’m white as gently caress but even in white people tropics grilling a pineapple is still unequivocally a good thing, maybe the cold just rots the part of your brain that knows what to do with a pineapple

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GreenNight posted:

What? Not liking a food is racist now?

I think it’s more of a developmental disorder tbh, like borderline personality disorder

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I don’t mind being judged for putting pineapple on pizza but I kind of object to people thinking it’s somehow even weirder that I have it with pepperoni instead of ham

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

S:e

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Christmas specials are always full of dumb macguffin stuff bc Christmas so they don’t count

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The plot of the first dirk gently is a kind of riff on Scientology iirc but it felt real Robert Anton Wilson inspired compared to the hitchhikers stuff, just mindfuck after mindfuck for the sheer sake of it and it works bc Adams writes with joy about the most ridiculous poo poo

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

*in an extremely Doug forcett voice* what if OUR human timeline is the one that makes no linear sense to THEM

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

As someone who loves to nitpick this stuff I sort of get the annoyance at never having any attempt at a real explanation to consolidate both types of time and just sweeping it away with a cute joke, but seeing as we barely understand how time works now the cute joke seems more effort imo. Like imagine the writers room sitting around getting more annoyed and picking each other’s attempts apart and suddenly someone just screams ‘JERIMY BEARIMY’

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 3, 2019

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Whenever I hear behind the scenes stuff about writers rooms on a good show I get a huge pang of admiration for the fact that they are essentially having these huge arguments over dumb poo poo so me and my friends don’t have to

I also really respect the idea that when you can’t make something logically consistent you throw a dumb joke on it and move on like a particularly hard answer on a test

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 3, 2019

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It’s not just about that though, they dug this hole long before that when they reset the fake good place timelines over and over again. Sometimes the story is more important. They established in season 2 that human time and afterlife time work differently and this entire season 3 has been dependent on that premise at its core

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 3, 2019

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It’s reasonable imo to say you don’t like the season for that particular reason but trying to get some dorks on a forum to explain how the concept might actually work irl is insane bc it doesn’t, it’s a narrative conceit created to allow interesting hypothetical questions about the nature of human behaviour

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 3, 2019

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Essentially the whole thing comes down to the fact that what we understand of psychology is a pseudoscience in the strictest term. That is, human behaviour cannot be replicated and repeated in a way that fulfils the empirical criteria for the scientific method. As a result it is useful to imagine realities where human behaviour COULD be replicated and repeated. This is the entire key principle of having the timelines all hosed. By doing so we allow the idea that human behaviour can be empirically studied to be added to the plot of the show and that’s more important than that the advanced laws of physics (that we barely understand irl) work perfectly in the universe

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 3, 2019

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It doesn’t imply anything of the sort, they’re using human points of reference in conversation with humans. We’ve still not addressed what effects living on angel time has had on humans but from everything the show has told us, they still fundamentally perceive time the same way they did on earth while ethereal beings perceive their own hosed up timeline in a way that is obfuscated to us for two reasons:

1) it doesn’t make sense
2) it’s not important to the story, which is about humans experiencing time in a way more or less similar to our own

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

wizzardstaff posted:

Or it means 512 subjective years from the point of view of the accounting office. No one said anything about the earth year 1506 being the last year someone went to the Good Place.

I don’t buy this for a second but it would be a nice gotcha for nerds like us that argue about this poo poo online

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Bored to death is imo dansons best performance up until Michael

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Glad to see people like the Orville I thought I was the only one tbh it’s a fun show

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Gaz-L posted:

It could do with nudging itself a skosh more towards the sci-fi adventure side of the spectrum. Drop some of the more frat-boy-y bodily function humour (Bortus eating cactuses is funny, jokes that are basically just "Kelly said dick on a spaceship" or "Gordon referenced Seinfeld" are pretty much the poo poo people hate Family Guy for) and go more for a tone like, say, a lighter Farscape, and you've got something possibly great. Without that, the show is probably stuck at 'pleasant, maybe pretty dece sometimes'.

Yeah none of this is incorrect but I smoke a lot of weed which puts it up a few notches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Taear posted:

The latter. It feels like Doug is showing that the latter is the case.

That absolutely fits time not working in the afterlife the same way. If time isn't linear though then people turn up in the afterlife from any time at all and therefore the timescale doesn't make sense. If you don't experience linear time in the afterlife then someone can arrive there who was born in 2640 before a person born in 1640, at least theoretically.

I might have read way too much into the Jeremy Berimy ep but I thought the whole point of illustrating the timeline with a signature was to imply it was mostly linear but not quite.

Afterlife time isn’t quite linear in the same way we experience it but it’s kind of an impossible thing to build a satisfying narrative with any kind of perception of time that isn’t at least somewhat linear. I’m getting a little abstract here bc of weed but i think the show has been super clear on the fact that people die and go to the afterlife on the same linear time scale they lived under on earth

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 17, 2019