Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Teddybear posted:

He hosted Guts.
And Get the Picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This show stresses me out the same way watching improv comedy does. They paint themselves into corners seemingly impossible to get out of and it looks, for all the world, like they're about to retread or jump the shark constantly, because surely none of this will work, but they stick the landing every. Single. Time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Koalas Massacre posted:

Chidi was so indecisive because he did want to be a good and ethical person, but as we know the road to hell is paved with good intentions... Just a little more literally in his case.

That said, I don't think Chidi was a bad guy, but he definitely wasn't good either.
Chidi went to the bad place for having an anxiety disorder and Jason went in for being too stupid. Yeah, he was a criminal, but he was kinda' too stupid not to be.

Eleanor scammed people for a living and was a monumental piece of poo poo in her personal life, and Tahani was petty and vain and didn't do anything that wasn't self-serving.

The whole point of the show, though, is that the rules by which we're judged are kind of bullshit, and that circumstances matter. It's almost like an exercise in teaching the influence of systems.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This show is always an exercise in writing yourself into a corner and then being a goddamn magician about getting yourself out of it, but this really feels like the final arc.

The logical end to this story as it's been told so far is that The Brainy Bunch does good for the rest of the season despite knowing they'll never get in the good place, a good place representative reading the manifesto, and them being let into the good place. Series over.

But they're going to impress me, as they always do, by doing something else.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Nah it's because Chidi is a dude so everyone gets a pass. For some reason it's popular now for straight men to talk about how another dude turns them on so people jumped on that bandwagon.
It's because men aren't routinely told their only worth is their looks, so it doesn't carry the cultural weight to talk about their bodies that it does women.

Tequila25 posted:

Because both comments exist in a context of a society where women are still judged mainly by appearance, but guys taking care of their appearance is judged as "gay'.
Woop woop.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

emgeejay posted:

There's uh, definitely a "farmer's daughter" vibe to the Daisy Duke archetype, yes
The farmer's daughter trope (as it is now, possibly not at is origins) is that she's a sexually awakened adult raised by a religious and oppressive father who's yearning to experience more than her dull farm life with her family. It's remarkably sex-positive and feminist, if you ask me. As it's told now, she always seduces the stranger whose car broke down; not the other way around.

Granted, this is how I've always seen it portrayed, and it might have been super gross beforehand, but that's the version I absorbed through osmosis through poo poo like Seinfeld.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Phenotype posted:

It's very simple, I think. How would you react if one of the actresses had a scene where she took her top off and walked around shirtless for a while, and tons of people started posting about how turned on they were? I think that would be pretty obviously gross. It shouldn't be any less gross just because it's a man that did it.
This position assumes men and women are treated equally. They aren't. It's less gross to admire a man's body to a television subforum because men aren't told from childhood that their looks are the only important thing about them.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

If you're mad that women are objectified (and I am too) then the solution is to stop objectifying women. It's not to start also objectifying men.
Agreed, but again, to objectify somebody is to reduce them to an object. You can admire somebody's looks without objectifying them.

There's a huge chasm of difference between "that woman is very attractive" and "I'd hit that." Between "holy poo poo, Chidi is JACKED," and doing some of the gross fetishizing of black bodies a lot of white people tend to do.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kaedric posted:

Did Chidi's actor used to be a fat guy? He's got the saggy nipples that fat dudes get.
Yeah, and to this day he doesn't like to ever be shirtless so this was a big deal for him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Only if I binge the show, and even then, only temporarily.

Binge-watching Deadwood has some disastrous side-effects for a week or so that you super need to keep in check. :stare:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Flight Bisque posted:

Yeah but your (or at least my) interior monologue turns into Ian McShane for a couple weeks so, worth it.
You ain't wrong.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

21 Muns posted:

Huh, that didn't really take me out of the episode, but your reaction here is very similar to my reaction to the monster taxi a couple of weeks ago; kind of ruined that episode for me (which is a shame because I otherwise liked the Jason plot) and did some serious damage to my engagement with the season as a whole. I really liked this episode, but I see what you mean about that gag; I think it's part of a larger problem where staying on Earth is making the writers antsy to keep the wacky fantastical over-the-top comedy going, but it's really clashing with the distinction between the real world and the non-real-world that the series stayed in for most of the first two seasons. I think the first symptom of this was the Americana-themed restaurant; it was really funny, but it was also written exactly the same way that the fake Good Place's gag businesses were written in seasons one and two - actually probably a fair bit sillier. At the time, I laughed off the bit with the "real" gun and assumed it was just Chidi being naive and jumpy, but in retrospect, given some of the jokes that have happened since then, I think it was just meant to be taken at face value.

Assuming that we don't get some kind of huge bombshell twist that this was really a fake Earth (which would admittedly be awesome and classic Good Place), I definitely think that this season has been a big step down in quality from the first season and certainly the second season, which is really too bad because for the most part it's just as good; it's exploring such interesting ground in terms of character development and thematic development, but it just has so many nagging completely unnecessary suspension-of-disbelief-piercing moments that seem to come from the writers not knowing how to handle so much Earth. I don't remember any problems like that in the first two seasons.
The Judge said them being on Earth is changing everything.

But also, this takes place in the Parks and Rec universe, which got pretty wacky in its last season.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oasx posted:

I am surprised that nobody mentioned that the opening was a huge Lost reference.
Once I saw Mama Cass's name on the eight track, I knew what was happening.

pwn posted:

I only pick these nits because,
Knits. Like from a sweater. The kind you'd pick at.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yes. You pick knits. You are a nitpicker.

At least that's how it was explained to me by my fourth grade teacher and oh good how long have I bean spreading this?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You ever just not get corrected for years, even when you're correcting other people and you realize that the source of your knowledge was dubious as gently caress to begin with and it's pretty embarrasing?

Me neither. Gotta' go. Bye.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That was amaze-balls. I really don't have anything more to say.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

greententacle posted:

I've been thinking about starting watching Veronica Mars just for more Kristen Bell. I never paid much attention to her until this show
Veronica Mars is great, but there were some very questionable "feminists are all militant assholes and Veronica is like one of the guys and therefore better and correct" overtones in the third season, which is a bizarre choice in your hard-boiled girl power noir detective show aimed at teen girls.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't think most white people realize how bad a look it is to poo poo on grilling pineapple considering it's a Hawaiian thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mameluke posted:

Hawaiian pizza was invented in rural southwestern Ontario. Pineapples are South American in origin and arrived in Hawaii alongside colonialism. You don't need to fight for it.
I very specifically didn't mention pizza in my post, which you either willfully ignored or didn't notice. Shur was making GBS threads on cooking fruit and moved on to cooked pineapple on pizza, yes, but he started by telling people not to cook fruit.

GreenNight posted:

What? Not liking a food is racist now?
That's an incredible stretch, and no. You're not racist for not liking a food. You (not you you)are being incredibly culturally gross as a white person, however, by saying the way brown people cook food is an affront to food, as those tweets were doing.

I'm as pasty as the next Irish Norweigan-American, but even I can admit that white people really have no business telling the rest of the world how to make food.

Jesus gently caress, put some goddamn spices on some poo poo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

greententacle posted:

Maybe a form of the "Doctor Who rule" should come into play? That is, only expect time travel to work consistently in whichever Dr Who story you're currently watching/reading/listening to. Don't try to make sense of how time travel is supposed to work across all the different Dr Who stories, you'll just give yourself a headache.
Doctor Who, since the revival anyway, has been incredibly consistent with its rules of time travel.

You can't interfere with past events, unless you already did, in which case you now have to, because you already did it.

So you can't go back to your past to give yourself advice, but if future you comes back to tell you something, you then have to make sure you also do it when you take their place.

It's pretty cool to think about.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

greententacle posted:

I'm pretty sure there's been episodes that break those rules though? Like, what about the Christmas Carol episode? The Doctor deliberately interferes with a dude's past, to change him from being a nasty person to a nice person. Outside of that episode, that sort of thing is usually not on, breaking the laws of time and all that. I haven't been keeping up with it though, last episode I saw was in the middle of Capaldi's last season.
Even in that ep, there's a case to be made about how it was always meant to work out that way.

But even if it didn't work that one time, the rest of the time, it's been pretty consistent.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Even then, they label it as semi-original.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ho, jeez. I'm so disappointed I don't get to see this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

emgeejay posted:

oh, this is the Bad Place
Seriously. Jeremy Bearimy time is for the afterlife. Time on Earth is still time on Earth.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

For what it's worth, it was sold to me (with no knowledge of the twist) as "It's a really funny, clever comedy about a woman who accidentally gets into heaven and tries to keep anybody from finding out she shouldn't be there."
It has Kirsten Bell and Ted Danson and it's made by one of the Parks and Rec guys.

Cool. Sold.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

pwn posted:

I have been working on convincing a friend to watch it, but she doesn’t like Kristin Bell. I just can’t even
But they used to be friends!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

greententacle posted:

Did anyone else find that they kinda figured out the season 1 twist at the same time Elanor did? One of my sisters figured out early that "Tahani shouldn't be in the Good Place either" so I wondered if she would figure it out, but she didn't & came as a surprise (I also think she wasn't expecting a big twist, so that might have helped).
I had the passing thought in episode one when Frozen Yogurt was every restaurant, but for some reason I just dismissed it and was still completely caught off guard at the end of the season.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I watched a LOT of TV back then, and I somehow never heard of Becker until it hit syndication.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pan Dulce posted:

Wow. What a great joke.
What am I missing here?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Doltos posted:

Who let /r/athiesm leak?
I don't understand why you'd object to people thinking critically about religion in a thread for The Good Place.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Also lol at the Star Trek appearance. I've seen the movie a few times and never realized it.
Since Scott's not even part of DS9, I'm just going to pretend Ben Wyatt won a contest for a bit part in a Star Trek film.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, I'm a little taken aback myself.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nobody talks poo poo about Frasier, Seinfeld, Cheers, Newhart, News Radio, and a million other four-camera, studio audience shows.

Big Bang Theory is so bad that people forget that the format it's shot in isn't broken just because this one show sucks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Good for her!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

mastajake posted:

Stone hinge was a sex thing!
Jesus Christ, I'm still laughing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

The trailers for Schur’s new show Sunnyside don’t make it look good. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MVMds8ykuQ
So... The Good Place, but citizenship instead of being a good person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Inkspot posted:

Not once in all of Glee did Mike O'Malley ever cut to Mo so what good is it.
I appreciated the poo poo out of this post.