Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

My running theory is that point totals don't mean anything but telling demons they do is a way of controlling them via forcing their obsession over minutae; just by learning to want to do good for other people and then acting on that you earn a spot in The Good Place. The Brainy Bunch all learned to be better over this year but Janet and Michael don't know this for sure so Michael is just swept up in obsession and this Janet is too damaged to know the truth any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Argue posted:

Judge Gen said that from now on the Brainy Bunch are just going to be living their lives and earning points to get into the Good Place like anyone else on earth, so it's probably a real system which they'll end up destroying by the time the show is over (the way this show is paced, more like by season 4 episode 2).

Or by the end of the next episode I mean this show takes one episode to tell a story that'd take other shows a season

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

the solution is to realize nobody gives a gently caress who you think is hot and stop trying to turn it into a conversation ya fuckin doinks

If you wanna have a conversation about how bad it is that men are objectified on television then be patient for 100 years of shows where women are gross idiots and men are hot and sexy and subservient to their whims to pass so that your complaints seem fuckin' valid and not based on a gross desire to be part of the persecuted and if you wanna have a conversation about who you want to stick in what or rub what against who go join fanfiction.net or quotev or wattpad

ANYWAY

I have no idea how this season's going to end; I was expecting it to end with a reveal that they died and Michael and Janet are from the afterlife but we already been did that.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

qirex posted:

I'm leaning towards "someone who shouldn't see it finds the manifesto and earth becomes completely hosed," because destroying the earth would be totally in line for this show.
You're right, Michael inadvertently causing the apocalypse is super on theme with everything else we've seen.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Also on theme: All of this happening in the next episode.
Season ends with Janet restarting the universe with our four heroes as god figures

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Argue posted:

They can just reset the timeline if that happens, but also I don't think someone would find the manifesto and automatically think it was a real thing, I guess unless the person who finds it already suspected something was supernatural about Michael.
It's going to become the next Harry Potter, leading a monstrously large amount of the population to be "right" about the afterlife just because they are into the fic. This means when the world ends, way more people go to the good place than planned, causing the good place angels to get retribution on Michael this is Decided

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Letterkenny is in rural Canada, and this show constantly surprises me in unexpected ways, so I'm calling that instead of going to see Doug, they're bouncing to Modines and meeting up with Dery because why not at this point

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Hilariously it never occurred to me to split it up - Pan = All. Then Demon. The word literally means "All the demons are gathered here" or "COME GET YER DEMONS AT DISCOUNT PRICES!"

No just all the demons named Ium

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Doug never got it 100% right, he just came closest, so of course he's loving up

Also nobody new gets into the good place because the accountants got tired of the paperwork and hosed the qualifications to make their jobs easier. There's people there, just nobody new for a while.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Kanine posted:

honestly it would be pretty on the nose making capitalism the thing that's loving over humanity
yeah but it is tho

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

grill all fruit imo

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

enki42 posted:

For sure, but it's painfully obvious that the writers meant Earth years, because in any other context it's a completely meaningless statement with no dramatic effect whatsoever. "It's been 521 arbitrary units that are unfathomable and not linear anyway" isn't a great mid-series cliffhanger.

"Nobody has gotten into the Good Place in 521 beariblebs, which is the exact equivalent of 521 years on Earth, being that one bearibleb comes out to exactly 365 Earth days" - scriptwriting if it was handled by some people in this thread

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Can't wait for when Michael inadvertently makes being in the Good Place super stressful for everyone by making it possible to go from Good to Bad Place

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

mortal posted:

There's also something weird about an action's points being decided the first time it's done. We see a caveman giving someone their rock and earning 10,000 points, but a modern human giving someone a rock can't be worth 10,000 points, and there must be way an action's points value is adjusted over time that we haven't seen...or the secret to getting into the good place is giving people rocks. Doug Forcett could have just given ~50 rocks away and gotten the same point total.
Ironically giving someone a rock should still earn 10k points, but who the gently caress gives away rocks in the modern day

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Oh, I don't know... except for maybe people who are offering a gift to a woman in contemplation of marriage....
Who's to say marriage gets you points? Or, poo poo, that cutting a rock is a good thing?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

maybe lincoln... bad?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

holy poo poo this again jesus loving

It's been a bunch of time units that are familiar to the audience not to people who live in a system where tuesdays and july exist in a closed loop outside of a squiggly loving signature because you're not watching a show based on David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself

e: Someone on Reddit pointed out that Antonio Manetti, an architect who drew illustrations of the circles in hell for Dante's Inferno (which were later put into future publications of the Divine Comedy) died 521 years ago, and he was born on a Tuesday in July. It's a weird coincidence but it might mean something so argue about that instead of if we know what years means

Wungus fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 3, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

silvergoose posted:

The best translation of the inferno I ever read maintained the triple verse rhyme thing and it was so amazing, yeah let's talk about dante. :3:
Is that the John Ciardi translation? I've been wanting to find one that's more explicitly poetic and not just turning it into prose

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

clown shoes posted:

Nobody remembers Becker. More people probably remember that time he did blackface at the roast of Whoopi.

apparently Whoopi dared him to do that and she was the only person (including Danson) who actually liked it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

clown shoes posted:

Weren't they dating at the time?
I think so? It was early-mid 90s, so the time period fits.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

please can this very good show stop talking about lengths of time this thread is taking years off my life (real 525,600 minute earth years) with this loving terrible conversation

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Taear posted:

I think the person who said that Michael will reboot it all and become "God" and this is the first time around and we're the second is a pretty good shout.
Michael's going to destroy it all and the crew are his Four Horsemen; Indecision, Vanity, Trash, and Jason

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

I don't think the Time-Knife is a thing. I think Chidi is seeing something else Time-related, and -Knife is an intersection because he is suddenly stabbed.

I bet the episode starts and Chidi loses his vision and near the end he gets it back, and then they realize how much of the episode has been devoted to this, and throw in a last second twist, and just like how you think the grammar's off I also think it should be "Chidi Sees! The time? KNIFE!"

And this goes on for 500 years but it's never said if they're real years or bearimy years and I jump straight down a loving well

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Arist posted:

still really surprised nothing ever came of the manifesto or janet and the mri machine tbh

Simone died after being slaughtered by religious extremists for publishing this manifesto proving all faiths are wrong

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

curiousCat posted:

Question --
Won't whoever they're sending to torture Eleanor... you know. Recognize her?

Like, yeah, I know, memory eraser. But... if it's like, someone whose presense was super tied to her, I guess... I dunno.
Not when it's Stone Cold Steve Austin he won't.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Y'all keep talking as if she sounds like an inhuman proto-australian monster; she has the exact same accent as my mother, who moved to Australia from England when she was 8.

My mum ain't no monster :mad:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Is it better to watch the end of the season and decide whether I want to watch it, or not watch it at all?

Cause, seriously, despite everyone's praise in here, I did not want to watch it at all, and now I'm pondering whether or not to. :shrug:

Live whatever life you want, experience content however, but the way you choose to watch tv sounds fuckin' stupid and unfun and if you want suggestions on how to experience a narrative everybody's going to tell you "in narrative fuckin' order"

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

King of Foolians posted:

I think the main problem with Jason as a character is that the show hasn't done anything to show that he has developed beyond his "initial sin". At the end of season 2 The Judge gives each character a test designed to test their main flaw. For Eleanor, it was selfishness. For Chidi, it was indecisiveness. For Tahani, it was caring too much what people (especially her family) think about her. For Jason we are specifically told that his main "sin" is poor impulse control. For his test he was more excited to play Madden than to even finish listening to the rules.
Throughout season 3 we saw the other 3 main characters improve: Eleanor learns to embrace being part of a team and becomes less selfish; Tahani learns that fame and fortune isn't everything and repairs the relationship with her sister; and Chidi learns to relax and not be so indecisive due to his romance and exposure to Eleanor. But Jason is still the only one that the show hasn't really done much to show him overcome his impulsiveness. I think the show runners still think they are getting mileage out of keeping Jason as the lovable buffoon with a heart of gold but from a storytelling perspective he's still a pretty weak character compared to the growth the others have demonstrated.
He's turning more from "impulsive selfishness" to "impulsive goodwill" though, like, previously my dude loved fuckin' around committing Crimes but now he just wants people to be Nice

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SardonicTyrant posted:

I never noticed before, but Elanor and Chidi's dynamic is really really cute.
That's...

that's like

that's like a full one third of the show :psyduck:

"Just started my rewatch of The Good Place, never noticed before but Ted Danson is acting like, twice, in this televisions."

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

Upon rewatch, I realized that this is actually a comedy.
bullshit gently caress you am i gunna have to rewatch this whole poo poo again to check your wild allegation

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

If you haven't watched Santa Clarita Diet what the hell is wrong with you. It's made by the Better Off Ted showrunner and has the same comedy skeleton, albeit darker, and has almost all the BOT actors make at least cameos. I've yet to find someone who likes The Good Place and doesn't also like Santa Clarita Diet.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Zebulon posted:

Shame it only got three seasons, but they're three drat good seasons.
I can't believe how loving batshit the show kept getting at the end of each season. In that regard, I can't think of anything else other than it and The Good Place that just ramps poo poo the gently caress up

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Wellington Paranormal is also a great What We Do in the Shadows spinoff!
It'd be an even better one if it was at all viewable in the US without piracy. I've been trying to watch that drat show since I heard about it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

swickles posted:

They missed it by not having Megan Amram name every menu item with a pun.
Yeah I kept rereading that looking for the jokes. That's just a menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Straight White Shark posted:

Really? I know a lot of people soured on Glee but at the time it seemed like the audience was all for making it a full on musical. I hated the bait-and-switch and thought I was in the minority. "We're totally reinventing the musical, j/k we really wanted to do a bog standard musical all along."
Glee's a Ryan Murphy show. It couldn't be its authentic self without spending a couple episodes mugging to the camera and saying "lol lmao isn't it so dumb when people do this lol wouldn't it be like so funny if like we did this lol nobody likes this tho hey haha lmao but like what if we tried it out lmbo what if we tried it oUT?"