Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'll be watching this game with some interested.

I'll skip talking about Rebirth because it was obviously a huge tire fire and poo poo for the birds. As for X3, it was a game I simultaneously loved and hated. I loved the open galaxy and even the goofy charm of the low production values on aliens and stuff. I enjoyed flying around, and the combat was fun enough. But I HATED the garbage UI that was near impenetrable as a new player, and to be honest too much poo poo just didn't work. You'd capture ships and command them to dock somewhere and they'd just blow themselves up making the attempt, for example.

I know you can mod some of that to make it better, but modding was also an arcane process full of trouble. You shouldn't have to be a computer expert to play a computer game. Mods are supposed to be for customization and fun extras, not fixing basic functionality. My biggest hope for this game is that it's basically X3 but with a greatly enhanced user experience and QOL improvements, including a UI overhaul. I just want to poo poo to work right, be intuitive, and run smoothly without having to download mod packs to do it. If they deliver that I'll probably buy it and be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Taerkar posted:

You can specifically see the behavior with bean turrets.

The turrets have been thinking (slowly) about thos beans.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So I'm just starting out in this. I believe I've seen talk about starter mission to get you set up. How do those come about? I chose the basic Argon start that but I don't see any missions anywhere (I do see the tutorials and I did a few). Right now I don't see any sort of direction at all, my only option being to fly away in search of things to do. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important before venturing off in search of space windmills to tilt at.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lunethex posted:

What would an :egosoft: emote look like...

Repurpose the Quark emote to say "PROFITSSSS" instead of "FEMALES".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FrickenMoron posted:

Since the update killed autotraders at below 3 stars: How do i go about procuring a 3 star pilot? Just buying a bunch of scoutships with a pilot and hope i get a good one and then swap em?

Just keep your pilots/captains working, really. It seems any command with at least slowly increase their stats, so even if just set that random discoverer to "follow this miner around" it's better than sitting in the hanger doing nothing.

I'm also doing a miner --> trader promotion chain. Auto-mine only requires one star, so you can let basically anyone captain a mining ship until they get three stars. Once that happens you switch them to the trade ship and hire/promote a new mining captain. The auto-mine script does include taking the ore/gas to a suitable station and selling it ,so this allows a one star captain be productive without any supervision until they are ready for the trading ship.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So I'm having a weird issue. Of the two ships below, the first seems to be perfectly normal. But whenever I'm in the second it just seems like the sensors... don't work. It won't reveal stations on the map and can't target anything that isn't super close by. If I plop a satellite, then it can see whatever is in the area, but that's about it. Here's the ships via the upgrade interface...

Any idea what is going on? They both show a 40km radar range, they have same software as far as I can tell, and they are both fully repaired. The second ship (the misbehaving one) is somebody's venture ship that I captured, is there a bug with that maybe? At a loss here.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I’m trying that first autotrader mod and I set 20 mercury vanguards to auto trade and let it run for a couple hours. Went from 26 mil to -1.666 mil.

My profitssss...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Old and lame: hair physics

New and hot: chair physics

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

You say that but hair physics would be quite good for boron squidships.

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think maybe you get better (on average) captains when you buy ships from factions you have higher rep with?

Haven't tested it at all, just feels that way a bit. Could easily be confirmation bias.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lando131 posted:

No, don't go buy 84 Energy Cells, go sell the thousands of desperately needed Engine Parts for an extremely hefty profit!

Herein lies the problem, I think. Even when a wharf/shipyard is dead out of engine parts you really don't get anything close to "extremely hefty profit" for supplying them. They aren't tiny items, so you can't just haul a shitload of them in a go like energy cells or something. And it seems like even when you combine high supply at engine parts factory + out of stock at wharf you really can't ever get more than about 150 credits profit per unit. And that's the most ideal circumstances.

I think engine parts need to have their fundamental sell or buy price adjusted. Maybe the materials that go into them are too much. I dunno but whatever it is they seem inherently less profitable than most other goods even when there are severe shortages on the buying side with stock on the selling side.

I'm by no means an expert at this game but that's been my observation. If I'm actually a stupid idiot and don't understand then let me know. Namaste.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

The weirdest thing is all the people on the egosoft forums who think the interface is worse than X3's.

Which, like, have they played X3? The interface in this is great, like one of the best changes?

As someone who tried to get into X3 and eventually gave up in frustration, the X4 interface is much better.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Time to give this another go I think.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I know it's not really what this game is about, but I love asynchronous multiplayer stuff in basically every game developers care to shove it into. I'm really curious what these new features are gonna be. It will probably be something underwhelming, but if it something really cool 'd probably pick the game back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Thom12255 posted:

Stream confirmed that Ventures will be back in beta in a few weeks and it will now be a team-based thing that you can join up to do with your friends and compete against other teams.

lol