Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
This is, admittedly, a driveby post only half relevant, but Avorion is basically the X series but you build your ships/stations/fighters out of blocks for those interested in that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Giving this a shake, but one question; am I missing something on the travel drive? I turn it on and fly places and all, autopilot is fine etc etc, but people go on about how it makes SETA no longer required etc except it's still taking minutes to go from one system to another

are people broken

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Maybe I'm misremembering then, because I remember X3's seta traveling being pretty brisk.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

As far as I know aux ships are just mobile wharves and it takes five seconds regardless, but I'm not 100% sure.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

terrans add terrans, unsurprisingly, which are their own seperate economic system that also doesn't interact with the rest of the universe much, as terrans dislike everyone else enough to not dock. (and vice versa) despite that they do send out kill fleets to kill xenon incursions, you'd think the commonwealth-other-then-argon would warm up to them

split are commonwealth that are more or less on the otherside of the xenon sectors, keeping them somewhat seperate. their ships are usually the glasscannon no safety features all gun variety, which makes them the usual go-to player control ship, although I go for the terrans more. ToA adds some pirate stuff and a few sectors and kind of sucks.

Keep in mind even some of the QoL mods need all three, so you'll have to check. Sector satellites and kuertee's more generic missions are both my big recommendations, the former lets your satellites scour an entire sector's stations when you place them and keeps them updated without adding more CPU-killing vision that planting normal satellites on everything would (and makes general exploration a lot less tedious) while the latter helps with mission generation as in vanilla it only tries to spawn seven missions, so you come up with very few offers.

As for tips, the economy is pseudo-real in 4. In 3 AI just kind of existed and it was all an act, but in 4 miners actually bring materials to processors which then go through a chain and ultimately (with the exception of habitation stuff) goes to the ship building stations. The AI doesn't have money while you do, though, but otherwise everything needs to exist to move it up the line. Starting the game the station spread is randomized beyond the plot ones, and there is intentionally holes in the net that you "need" to fill. Find the wharves/shipyards, scan them to 30% so you can look at their logical overview at any time and take a look at what they're missing, then make that thing. (Usually hullparts.) The economy is centered around war via ships and very few polities are explicitly at war with each other at the start, without your plot-mission intervention, so it's mostly the xenon bogeymen doing the heavy lifting to keep that strumming along. Which they do. Factions can lose ground at like 20+ hours from xenon pressure if you don't tidy up the economy, but it's a very slow and gradual process.

Otherwise, the only other big thing I can think of is as a heads up pretty much all of the actual structured, not randomly generated missions (story ones, etc) all basically loving suck and are an absolute chore. Make a hard, dedicated save whenever you're directed to fly into a structure, as you are very likely to clip through the wall at some point and get stuck - and if you do manage to get out you probably broke the scripting.

oh actually if you do full screen windowed you can alt tab and the game will still run, while if you press pause while you're loading a save it will load the save in paused so you can look away while it does that forever

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

recycling would be better if it wasn't pigeon holed into the toa sectors by the utterly obscene energy cell requirement

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

Thanks for all the tips but I have to be honest, I downloaded the cheat menu and set all my ships to invincible and destroyed all their shipyards. Really hope that's the last of them, they are just so annoying with the infinite spawning.

The economy is based around ship production (or habitat consumption but that's a lot smaller.) and factions attempt to replace their ships and push up to a cap, the xenon being spawn happy is so they can blow up things to keep the economy going. Deleting them outright - assuming you haven't instigated the various other conflicts that can happen and even then those remain even - means the economy will go kind of inert at some point. It's the formal "I win" button.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

it does make things simple and accessible and not like some modded openttd web at least

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

x5 will be a shake up by making the game more an rts like homeworld instead of you and your minion friends

the ai will still be bad

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you willing to use mods? If so look up sector explorer.

keep in mind for mods like these your performance takes a fat hit if you can actively see in a sector

although this mod can be set up so you only need to fart out a super satelite to see all the stations and nothing else chiefly to remedy this

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

What's up with factions seeming to not defend themselves at all against the Xenon? I keep seeing lone xenon destroyers just get to slowly widdle down major faction stations like equipment docks.

ai bad, but also the factions might be running out of ships as everyone has (randomized) glaring holes in their economy that you're supposed to fix

xenon destroyers are also extremely spicy

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

all the quests loving suck tho

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

x4 can be neatly described as underbaked, but weirdly compelling for hours on end

tbh once you get your footing I would recommend doing the star wars mod. It has its own issues and also vividly changes the game to SW conceits, like hyperspace and fixed forward weapons, but a bunch of factions being at forever war with each other and having constant moba-rear end fleet battles down map lanes with their local economy keeping them afloat is more compelling and gameplay focused then "oh, the x are around. and you can storyline some wars to make more money, I guess"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

the real question is if the ai changes actually made it good this time