Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Out of curiosity, is the OTAS corporation still around in X4? I haven't got the game yet, but I plan to after a few patches are out, etc. And I loved the Solano, Venti and Boreas, so I'm curious about whether OTAS ships (or updated versions, I guess) are still floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Building up giant stations is probably the game's biggest strength. Once you have the modules unlocked it's basically like putting together a freeform lego set. Then just hire a builder, give the construction site some money and your big complex comes to life.

No more having to manually unpack each individual station or spider webs of tubing connecting then together.

drat, now that's making me want to get the game now, to rebuild my almost self-sufficient space weed+Argon whisky factory. (The only thing it needed was energy cells, which are shipped in from an entirely self-sufficient energy cell factory in a nearby sector)
Unfortunately I don't really have the time for it right now, so I'm planning on waiting until Christmas, where I'll hopefully have that time available - plus a discount on the game. :(

I don't suppose there are any time-lapses of a big station being built, is there? Or just screenshots, etc. of the finished product, at least. X3's looked great (well, the solar panels, etc. I mean...definitely not the mess of tubes) so I've got high hopes for X4's!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You can make much more interesting looking designs if you want, I tend to just cram everything into a brick because it's easier :v:

Still, it's a substantial improvement over X3 - looks good! What's that giant rod there for, though? Is that an airlock/umbilical for larger ships to dock with?

Also, can you (easily) get your own sector in this, by the way? I remember getting one in X3, but it was like, so late in the game that it didn't really matter. Since I had already established myself elsewhere, so it was too little too late, really.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
By the way, is the Aran (and maybe THE HUB) in X4? I liked having a big ol' mothership in X3TC

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of the PHQ, are you able to choose where it's placed, initially? (i.e. in a system I've claimed and built in) Since I remember reading ages ago that it would just get dumped somewhere, which wouldn't necessarily be where you want it to be. Could be wrong, though

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

no. theyve discussed adding the ability to teleport the phq, but for the moment if you want it somewhere else you have to mod.

drat, that's a shame. :( Oh well, I might have to add a mod that let's me specify where to dump it, or something. (Although out of curiosity, will adding mods mess with my save? Like, disabling achievements and whatnot)

Either way, I think I'll wait until the SV expack comes out, and dive into the game then

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Urgh, I tell you what, the problem with the 31st March release date for Split Vendetta is that now I have to decide whether I want to buy/play this first, or Bannerlord :negative:

By the way, are OTAS (I think they're called?) in X4, or have they gone bust? I loved some of their ships in X3TC, like the Venti, Boreas and especially the Solano. (I once spent far too long successfully 1v1ing a Xenon Q while in a Solano, using only one or two piddly mass drivers...I'm lucky there was a small station in the sector, for me to restock my ammo at :v:)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, and an hour isn't really long enough to get a full impression of the game, at all really. I guess it's kinda like playing M&B Warband for an hour, and deciding that you don't like the faction management mechanics, really.

But anyway, out of curiosity how do you all play X4? KB+M, joystick, or a gamepad even? When I played X3TC it was using the joystick (and KB+M for non-flight stuff), so I'm just curious if that'll still be the go-to for X4

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Everything around illegal stuff is pretty much underdeveloped...

drat, so what you're saying is, rebuilding my old X3TC self-sufficient space weed+space fuel factory won't be worthwhile? :( I guess it's time to set up an arms factory and churn out guns and ship parts, for the war on the Terraformers

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can still make money on illegal goods, they just don't actually do anything in the economy. Trading stations will buy anything and they have a fixed buy/sell price at exactly halfway between every good's min and max price.

Hmm. Well, would random traders still buy it from me? Or, if there's no real demand, would I need to get my own cargo ships to offload the drugs at the trading stations myself?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hah, ok that's interesting - so no need for a giant meat cahoona production line, for a self-sufficient energy cell factory, then? :D
Sounds good. I might just make ship parts, I guess. (Actually, I remember reading that you can get blueprints for ships...would building and selling fighters be profitable? I guess it might not be, if I need to buy the components though)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks guys; I think I'll have to get X4SV in a few days and pass on Bannerlord for now. I think I'll do as you suggest and manufacture lots of hull plates, then branch out once I have the cash (and surplus hull plates) to do so.

I'll definitely aim to try and build some fighters and maybe carriers too, eventually. To both sell and use as my sector security, etc.
Speaking of which, does having a load of stations and ships in a sector impact performance much, in X4? Since I vaguely recall there being issues in X3TC, when you get a huge station going.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, by the way - before I dive into X4, is it still basically essential to drop advanced satellites in key sectors around the place, like in X3? Or is that not necessary/possible anymore?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, so how can I check for missions, on stations? Specifically bounty hunting missions. Since although I'm running and jumping around stations like a pro now, (I'm a big fan of the travelators around the place! :v: ) I can't actually find out where to ask for missions.
I'm still on the 'young gun' starter station, but I figure someone must have a job. Like, I even went to the station manager, but it seemed like all he could do for me was point me towards the nearest toilet.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 2, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

_Gumby posted:

I THINK the only way is to fly near stations and open the map? The yellow icons will indicate missions. You can also sometimes get them by talking to people on board, and via data leaks.

I'm unaware of any 'Mission Board' type thing, but maybe its buried in the menus somewhere in the mission manager.

Hmm, OK then - I'll take a look, when I'm back home. Thanks! Bit different to what I'm used to, but I get where they're coming from - it'll at least make picking up missions faster/easier, if I don't want to have to spend 10min walking around a station every time.

Oh also, is there any way I can look around in the cockpit, while flying? Like, look up through the canopy, etc. during combat, at least - I'm not so worried about looking down at the dash or around the room.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of defence platforms, are you (in your own sector, anyway) still able to set up platforms behind the gates, so that if pirates/xenon fly through, they immediately get shot in the back? I recall doing that in X3TC, but I'm not sure if it's possible/worth doing in X4

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, are there any good places for a starter pilot (with the Young Gun start's Elite Vanguard) to make some cash by hunting bounties, etc? Since I've been looking around the Black Hole Sun system and another couple of areas, but the only viable job I've found was to take some schmuck to work, for like, 50k. (Not that I mind making easy cash! :v: )

Also, the Elite's pulse laser (I think it's called, in this) seems to be quite weak. Are there any recommendations on weapons and/or ships I should look at upgrading to?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

So the way ships work in X4 is that they don't have weapon generators any more, they just have gun slots. So a one gun ship is almost useless on its own. You want, generally, as many guns as you can get, because each one is a flat upgrade. So a quasar is one of the best fighters cos it comes with... 4 slots I think. The best ships in the game are corvettes like the Nemesis or the Dragon because they come with 5/6 medium guns apiece which is a large amount of firepower. Fighters mount small guns, frigates and corvettes mount medium guns which are significantly stronger and longer ranged.

Turrets aren't that good except for large size ones which can mount some quite heavy firepower. Capital ship forward guns are very powerful. Medium turrets are mostly for point defence against small fighters and the like but don't do very much damage.

I will say I think the actual mechanics behind the weapons are worse than X3 even if the effects are better, but the guns are quite weak and the lack of the weapon energy mechanic removes the ability to front load your firepower a lot. There's a mod called VRO that improves the feel but it's also a little bit janky and makes the game a lot more lethal generally, and it requires a new game to work properly.

The dogfighting has improved since launch but it's still got some way to go I think. VRO brings it probably more like X3 in terms of lethality but X3 was extremely easy to wreck yourself in, so it depends whether you like that or if you prefer the more low stakes combat of X4 vanilla.

Ahh, ok then right, that makes sense. I've taken a quick look at Roguey's site and think that maybe the Falcon is a reasonable step up from the Elite, before eventually upgrading to the Quasar or Pulsar, or something? I suppose I'll have to get a police license first though, and just shoot pirates somewhere. No idea where they congregate in X4, but I'll hopefully be able to find a map online somewhere, that shows sector ownership

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You can make it a decent dogfighter with a mk2 Bolt Repeater - ability to keep your gun on target can count more than more guns against fighters - but it will still lack firepower to take down M-class or the tougher S-class in a reasonable period of time. I agree that you really just need to get a better ship. Even a two gun ship like the Discoverer or Nova would be leagues better than One Gun Hell.

The ameliorating factor with ships with more guns is that guns are expensive. This isn't.. *as* big a deal for the player, at least past the initial part of the game. But the costs of mk2 front guns radically escalate when you're slapping six of them on a Pulsar made out of wet tissue paper. I generally run ships with tons of guns with mk1s - usually half the firepower at 15% of the cost - for that reason.

Also some ships with lots of guns are pre nerfed just to stop them from being the best option. The Pulsar has 6 guns, but it has the hull and shielding of a wet noodle. The work of some lost Split no doubt.

The only real bounty hunting is occasional missions that ask you to track down a ship and shoot him until he gives over the priceless heirloom (or whatever). Its a very grey activity, since the police don't consider you to have a license to kill or to shoot up strangers. The ship isn't spawned or anything, its just a normal ship going about its day (usually trading, but sometimes it asks you to dunk pirates), so it could travel anywhere. It'd neat if there was a bounty guild that would consistently offer those sorts of missions so it could be an occupation.

Hmm, OK then. Well, after reading a bit more online, I'm tossing up going for the Theseus (I think it's called), since it seems to have a good amount of guns, but also having reasonable speed and hull. Hopefully that's not a bad choice! I'm not sure how difficult it'll be to get one, though...hopefully I don't need to spend ages ranking-up with the Paranid.

Also, regarding the bounty hunting, that's a shame. So I guess hunting Xenon would be my best choice then, as OwlFancier mentioned? If so, would I only get cash for taking out Xenon within Argon/whoever's borders, or would I be able to turn in robo-scalps for cash wherever? And would I need a police license to get money, or is that just for killing local pirates?

ALSO, I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I found this map and I'm just planning on what empty sector I should convert into my own. But I'm just curious; is it only the grey sectors that I can claim? Since I notice that there seem to be some 'mini sectors' like Black Hole Sun IV and V, which have some empty white space around them. So like, could I claim a sizeable chunk of space in there somewhere (that isn't licensed from the Argon), or am I limited to one of the massive grey sectors, if I want to own my own space?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, what's the deal with piracy, assassinations, etc? I've never bothered with it in X games, since I didn't want to burn bridges with any of the major factions. So, could I just raid one of the random small companies/factions and not ruin my relations with their 'parent' race? Since if so, I might start hijacking a minor faction's freighters, perhaps. (Also, where do you get missions to kill members of a specific faction? In rival stations bordering the aforementioned faction's sectors, I assume?)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, so I'll only get credits for killing pirate ships if they're within ~30km of a station? Even with the police license? drat, they really have made it hard to go bounty hunting. No idea why really, since it's not like it was the most profitable way to get cash in X3TC, anyway. Alright well, looks like I'll have to resort to piracy - probably in the Paranid and Split splinter-faction space, seeing as they likely have enough to worry about, without needing to go looking for me. :D
So I'm thinking that I might later use my ill-gotten gains to make a space drug station in my own sector, then build the hull plate+weapons factories later on, once I can afford to branch out from illegal/legally grey activities.

EDIT: I'm hoping I can lay claim to the Silent Witness sector, since I bet there are a heap of appropriate company names I can think of, related to it. Like "Silent Witness Wetwork" or something, if I start assassinating traders, etc. for those random missions :v:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 7, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry about the double-post, but I just thought about something, related to the piracy talk. So, if I go out into an asteroid field far from a station and start blasting a mining ship, what happens if another ship is nearby, or catches sight of us? Will I get into trouble right away, or will they head back for the cops? Or will they simply keep their distance, with no negatives for me?

EDIT: Oh also, I stumbled upon an asteroid that gave me nearly half a million in minerals...so yeah, maybe I'll mine for a bit longer and skip the M3, then go straight to a corvette! :v: I'm thinking about building a Nemesis (seems good on paper, at least) with the below loadout:

Bolt Repeater Mk1 x3 (these don't require ammo or anything...right?)
Ion Blaster Mk1 x2

Bolt Turret Mk1 x2

M Shield generator Mk1 x2
M all-round engine Mk2
M all-round thrusters Mk2

So, will I actually be able to get all of this, at this point? Or will the ship (or some of the weapons) be locked for me, at this point in time? Thanks!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 7, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure I've gotten paid for killing ships anywhere in a friendly sector.

E: ah according to the mod linked above, the police license means you get paid anywhere, presumably because you're the police.

Ahhhh, good to know - I'll buy a police license ASAP then. Thanks for that!

OwlFancier posted:

If you want a nemesis you need I think 10 rep with one of the paranids, as well as if you want to unlock military grade turrets and weapons. Otherwise you should be OK. I think the argon sell the ion gun mk 1 at rank 0 but it is only the argon who sell it.

Hmm, that's a shame. Maybe I should buy a Theseus or something, then simply try to hijack a pirate Minotaur, as someone mentioned earlier. (That or just delve into piracy and steal any old corvette that I can find. Since if X4 is like X3, the raider/pirate variants are typically a bit worse, anyway)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, so, you know how it seems that you can hire a captain/crewmate for your fighters? Well, do they actually DO anything, or perhaps gain experience by tagging along with you? Or are they only useful for taking over when you're in another ship, or in your spacesuit?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Captains don't do anything if they're not flying, otherwise they get stuffed into a cargo cube and cease to exist until you need them to fly the ship. They also don't really get much XP unless they're fighting, and even then not much either. You probably want to mod it to increase XP gain.

Service crew repair the ship very slowly, though it's only really noticeable on M and L/XL sized craft, though L/XL sized craft have so many crew it's actually very important and the vast numbers of hitpoints they repair means they rank up very quickly and give the ship pretty great hull regen.

Also they don't completely repair the ship, I think it's tied to skill level, but they'll definitely repair a lot of damage especially on large ships.

Hmm, ok then, that's interesting. So could I have a service crewmember on my fighter, to give them a little bit of experience before moving them to another vessel later on, where they'll actually matter? Or are fighters 'captain only'?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright well, I bought and outfitted a Nodan (I love how quick and nimble it is, with Mk2 engines and thrusters!) and hired a Teladi co-pilot/-captain called Gant, for short. (No way am I remembering his full name)
He's not very good at his job yet, but I plan on up-skilling him and always having him as my co-pilot, in my main ship. Although, can I get him to take over and fly to a specific station/waypoint, with me standing around/AFK in the back? Or will he only fly on his own if I'm out of the ship?

Also, thanks for the suggestion regarding service crew - I think I'll splash out a little more on my ship engineer, (compared to the 7k I spent on my co-pilot :v: ) to get someone who can fix the ship, board other ships, and then fly them back to stations to sell. (Actually, what happens if I sell a ship with an AI pilot? Will they bugger off, or stick around to keep working for me?)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey so, what's the deal with data leaks? Since they're just those sparking things on the exteriors of stations, right?
Since I have a Hatikvah mission for Dal Busto (or whatever his name is) called 'snooping around', where I need to scan a data leak on a Scale Plate station, so that a computer worm can be inserted into their systems. But uh, I think I've scanned 3-4 data leaks across two stations (space weed farm and their main station, both in one of the Silent Witness sectors) and there don't seem to be any options to progress. Do any of you recall what you needed to do, to get past this?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ohhh, OK thanks for that. Are they still basically the same, aside from that? i.e. looking like it's coming from a damaged socket of some sort? (And I take it I can do it all from within my ship, right? No funky suit-only business I assume?)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, are water refineries generally worth the hassle? Since I'm currently planning my future drug lab, and THIS is what I've got so far. I've excluded the water refineries so far (I'll need like, 1.2 refineries' worth of water), but I'm still tossing up whether I should simply have trade ships buy water, or have them buy ice to then turn into water (assuming I can buy ice) OR get mining ships and have them mine ice for me. I'm kinda tempted to just go for the easier option (buy water), at least at the start, but eh, I'm not sure.

Also, aside from that, are there any other changes you'd recommend? (Or perhaps some other factor/requirement that I'm not accounting for) I'll be building this in my own sector once I can get an admin module. I'll have to set up an admin+defence station right near the jump gate first, but hopefully that won't be TOO costly.

EDIT: Updated station link with new modules, as per the below

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 15, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, OK then yeah that's fair enough, I'll add in a water refinery and some turrets - I'd forgotten about the need for defences... Also, I forgot to ask earlier - what kind of storage should I be adding to the station? Will I need a mixture of solid, liquid and container storage, or just container storage?

EDIT: Sorry for all the questions, but just to check - are habitat modules actually required, for stations? Since I recall reading that someone here mentioned that having them increases your productivity...so does that mean they're non-essential, and I can cut costs by not having any habitat modules (and the other modules that go with it, to keep people fed) on the station? At least until I get some decent money, anyway.
Since I'm thinking of building a budget hull plate factory (as OwlFancier mentioned in the past) in one of the race's space, simply so that I can earn some cash before investing in my own sector+defences. Since if habitats etc aren't needed, a $11mil hull plate factory* in Grand Exchange or Eighteen Billion (or anywhere central) is way more appealing right now, compared to the financial headache I'd have trying to jump straight into having my own sector and massive drug factory...

*Excluding defence costs. I'll need to work out what I can spend

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 15, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Domattee posted:

Unless they changed it recently, habitats are not required. They're nice though as they increase the efficiency of your factories, getting you more profit from the same amount of raw materials. As to storages, ice and all the other ores are solid, the gases are liquid, but water is container. If you are refining ice you will need solid storage, the factory can't refine straight out of ship holds.

Alright then, cool - I'll definitely have to revisit the idea of implementing habitats later on then, since that does sound worthwhile.

I like how water is stored in container storage though, rather than in a tank. I guess it must be stored in boxes full of one-litre bottles! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Taerkar posted:

The only downside of the scientist start is that you don't get the free corvette.

Wait, free corvette?! Where/when do you get that? I'm on the Young Gun start, so I assume I'm eligible to get it. I assume it's part of the PHQ quests? (Since I've found it, but I haven't bothered with building a dock for it yet)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, got a couple of quick questions: firstly, if a ship I own (but one thay I'm NOT controlling. i.e. I have it set to patrol/protect a station) opens fire, misses its target and hits some random Argon/whoever ship, will that decrease my relations with them? Since hopefully if there's any retribution, it's only against the idiot pilot who took the shot. :v:

Also, seeing as I've bought a Cerberus (well, still waiting for it to be built), if I have my trusty Nodan docked on its back, could it be destroyed in a fight? And if so, is there any way I can retract the landing pad, so that it's inside the ship? I'm sure I've seen an AI capital ship do it, although I could be mis-remembering.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright, SO! I've finally finished my admin/defence station (after needing like, 15k turret components...I'll have to make a turret+shield component factory later on, before building a defence platform at the other gate) and I've started building my big hull part complex.

So, while that's slowly being built, I noticed the venture station components in the list...are there any good guides about the basics of what you need, to send ships on ventures? (And I guess what sorts of ships should be sent. Like, big freighters? Or a frigate or something?) Since I wouldn't mind building a little venture station up in a corner of my sector, as a side-project to my current construction. But yeah, I just do NOT know where to start. Do I just need the venture gate, thing? I dunno (sorry, not helpful I know! :v: )

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, is there a ship I can buy (preferably non-Split, since they're not my friends yet) that I can use to reliably 1v1 a Xenon K? Like, perhaps a Behemoth with plasma and ion cannons, or something?

Since yeah...tonight I killed a K in my Gorgon, and it took aaaages! I had to knock out every surface component aside from the main shields, then call in my fleet of seven ex-SCA Minotaurs and my Cerberus, in order to punch through it's shields in a reasonable amount of time. (And now the Teladi have a couple of Ks smashing up Ianamus Zura, so I'm keen to delete some Ks before the Teladi bite the dust!)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The best mainline combat ship outside of the split is probably the paranid odysseus. Because it has three large gun turrets all capable of firing forward. A K will still be a major threat however as xenon weapons are dangerous, but that will get the most firepower on the target as fast as possible.

But if you really want a capital killer the split are still best, the rattlesnake has four large turrets and the raptor has, like, eight or something? It's probably on par with a xenon I, a combined carrier and battleship.

Hmm, OK then - I didn't realisethe Split were so strong against them! I'll have to go over there and buddy up to them I think, since the Rattlesnake sounds like just the thing, right about now

Less Fat Luke posted:

Or Iain M Banks fans

Hah yeah, I was thinking that too. :D I remember using "Youthful Indiscretion" as my Elite Dangerous Clipper name, thanks to him

EDIT: Hmm, what about the Dragon, as a stopgap at least? Since L+XL ships need 20 relations to buy or something, don't they? (Could be wrong there - might only need 10 like the M ships. Cost is also a factor for me, but it would just mean that I'd have to wait a short while before buying)
Since the Dragon has six guns - if I load 'em up with whatever their anti capital gun is (which is...uh...the thermal disintegrator, at a guess?) And park myself in a K's blind spot, I'm happy even if it takes a while - it's just that my Gorgon simply cannot punch through on its own.

Actually, just thought - how do I mod ships? Maybe that's part of my problem. I hope it doesn't revolve around the Boron's plot, since I haven't even looked at him, after getting the base

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 23, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

Mainly I miss the sense of terrain much more than the minor extra ease of travel. The highways and especially the loop helped give the impression of various levels of development, and let me mentally divide sectors into some fuzzy categories of "core" vs "frontier" vs "unclaimed".

Yeah, this is definitely an important aspect of the highways, I agree. I mean, don't get me wrong I do like that it lets me take a break from flying (to instead look at the map and manage other aspects of the game) but it does give a good sense of how well-developed certain sectors are. You can really tell what areas are backwaters, and what sectors are real hubs of commerce, in the core of the Community. (I also quite like that it allows ships I order to go to the opposite end of the galaxy to actually get there in good time, unlike what it used to be like with X3, a bit)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry for the dumb question, but do any of you remember if/where any mineral-rich Split sectors are? I spent a fair while tonight looking through Patriarchy space, but they don't actually seem to have ore or silicon deposits anywhere.

So I'm wondering if the Free Families have any, for me to send my miners to, to curry favour with them, so that I can buy their warships.

I mean, I'd go out searching again, but Ks are wreaking havoc in a Patriarchy Split sector and Teladi space, so I definitely think I need to devote myself to tackling them when I play tomorrow, while my miners are (hopefully) sent off somewhere, to earn me a bit of cash while making friends for me.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Things I didn't know, putting more cargo in a ship changes its mass and lowers its maneuverability:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0hCP1yuNe8

Wow, I was just thinking about this, too. I picked up a full load of hull parts in my Nemesis, and I was SURE it (slightly) affected my maneuverability! Glad to hear I'm not going crazy :D

Also, what the hell is that thing he flies into, at the start of the video?! Is it related to a story mission later on, like the Hub in X3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

That's the Split Raptor, it's absolutely massive. You might not see one in the wild because I think there was an issue where shipyards couldn't always store enough stuff to actually build one :v:

I thought I should get one eventually, based on what I saw on-paper...but now I know that I must get one! :aaa:

By the way, how big should a defence platform be, to reliably beat a Xenon K? I have a defence platform that consists of 12 bridges and 12 disks, all packed with plasma cannons. I think it needs something like 15k or so turret components to build. Could that do it (OOS I guess - since if the xenon attack my home sector, it probably won't be when I'm around) without losing chunks of the platform, or should I build another?