Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Overnights apparently have The Woman Who Fell To Earth as the highest rated season opener since Partners In Crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
*Ryan presses glowy light, and immediately Tim Shaw's Hershey pod appears*

Goons: But what did the light DO though?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, McGann doesn't really go full Scouse as the Doctor. He leans more into the old school RP side, I feel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Here's the thing, there was leaked pictures of the TARDIS set in normal lighting and... um... it looks pretty bad when it's not being lit like in the episode, so I don't think it's gonna get much brighter.

Also, no arcs my arse, Chibnall. That's a set of arc words and a recurring OC menace already?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 14, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TinTower posted:

Seeing as the episode mentioned Emmett Till, in June, they erected the third memorial at the place where his body was found, after the previous two were irreparably damaged.

By July, the memorial had already been shot at.

Like, not that racism follows logic, but what's the twisted reasoning dickheads have for vandalising it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

spog posted:

I mean not just the message and the history: I mean every single action/situation in the entire episode had someone explain it like the audiences couldn't see the screen or hear the relevant dialogue:

e.g. hotel sign saying 'whites only'
"look, there's a bad sign"
"oh no, how we will get into this room?"
-climbs through window-
"we just climbed through a window into this hotel."

The window bit was character stuff. It led to Yaz talking about climbing into her boyfriend's window and Ryan kinda-maybe indicating he likes her romantically.

If anything, my biggest problem is that Tosin looks way too mature for how Ryan's written. It almost feels like Chibnall meant Ryan to be 15 or 16, they decided to cast Cole, and realised no one would buy him as that young, so they aged the character up without changing his behaviour

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Plavski posted:

Far Beyond The Stars

I'm also quite fond of the slightly more subtle thing in Past Tense (also DS9) where Dax, Sisko and Bashir all get sent back in time to 21st century San Francisco, and the only one of them who isn't arrested for vagrancy is, you guessed it, Dax, the white lady, while the two brown men get rounded up and thrown in what's basically a prison for homeless people.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Speaking of Rose, I just listened to the first two episodes of series 2 of the Tenth Doctor Adventures from BF. You can tell Billie's much less experienced at voice-only work than Tennant as she sort of see-saws between flat and being really good throughout the first one especially. And anyone who was annoyed by Clara is likely going to hate the first episode, because a big chunk of it has Rose off on her own doing more to save the day than the Doctor does.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Eccleston did an amazing job, in that his doctor was a totally new interpretation of the character while remaining instantly recognisable, which I don't think the other nuwho docs have managed. Tennant was definitely his own panto thing, but he never felt very Doctor-y to me, and while I absolutely love Matt Smith's performance, it's very very Troughton inflected. Ditto Capaldi with pretty much every classic doctor.

Too early to tell with Whittaker, although as I've said before, she's a little too Ten so far.

Capaldi definitely was trying to channel Tom a lot of the time, including outright breaking out his impression of Tom's voice a couple of times.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:psyduck: How can you know Big Finish exists, but NOT that Paul's done stuff for nearly 2 decades with them?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Paul McGann plays an investment banker who finds unexpected love with a busker. Romcom hijinks ensue, and they fall in love. In the final ten minutes, he slips and hits his head in the shower, remembers he’s The Doctor and TARDISes away without saying a word

Cool Black Mirror ep.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And right before the hiatus, we had an absolutely blatant parody of the then-Prime Minister and her husband as the villains of a fascist state.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The avocado joke is going to age just as badly as Trinny and Susannah in Bad Wolf.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

spog posted:

A retro clean room would nicely compliment the retro theme tune.

I want to say gently caress you, because the rhyme scheme of that made me read it in Matt Lucas' Dennis Waterman voice from Little Britain.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the concept of the aliens, super assassins who never considered what they were doing to people until it happened to them en mass because they weren't there to stop it. Then they're like "You know, this kind of sucks to be on the receiving end, I'm feeling kind of guilty now, let's start doing the exact opposite..."

Well, not the exact opposite. The opposite would be being space-time travelling paramedics, saving lives.

If not for the historical setting making it basically a corner they'd been written into, I'd actually say the Doctor was a little out of character for letting them off the hook so easily. This kind of passive observation is the same thing she hates her own people for.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

I wasn't gonna get too deep into it when it was announced but man, the announcement that The Doctor is literally getting a Barbie Doll sent chills down my spine when it happened. It makes me start to take seriously the claims that Capaldi's lack of marketability was a big part of his gap year and eventual ousting - and when Season 10 had the Doctor declare, in no uncertain terms, that Capitalism is a mistake, and then this episode airs... aaaargh.

Like... the show's always had a bit of a leftist streak, but it also sold toy Daleks like a year after it started, so if the idea of merch and marketing makes your skin crawl... I'm actually not really sure how to advise you to engage with pop culture, because at the end of the day, the notion of 'doing it for the art' is frankly just as much horseshit as the idea that Amazon are 'the good guys'. Artists are people who deserve to be compensated for what they do, and if one of the ways they're allowed to do that is because the show justifies it's value via merch, then that's not a bad thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If nothing else, it could've used a "the system teleported the girl away right as the bomb went off to make it LOOK like she died but really she's chilling in the conference room" line.

Honestly, a lot of the criticisms feel like this was a first draft where the goal was just to get a beginning middle and end on paper. There's a lot of little touches that make sense as what they're trying to mislead you into thinking is happening, but kind of fall apart when you know the twist, which is the problem with writing for a twist. It's tempting to put stuff in that works for the fake plot you want the audience to THINK is happening, but forget that it also has to make sense for the real story too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Brad could barely keep a straight face doing the Pulp Fiction quote. Which works for the scene, as Graham's pissing himself also.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do feel like the frog climax was a bit at odds with the intended character arc stuff, so the Doctor ping pongs between "This is a TRAP, they're all FAKE! REJECT THEM!" :mad: to being curious and empathetic. It actually felt pretty out of character for the Doctor to be "the Soli-whatever is like a kid with chicken pox... EVIL AND MUST BE SHUNNED!" but they needed her to be that way to be the driving force pushing Graham and Erik to face their grief.

I actually feel like it could've been a two-parter, with Grace's reveal being the cliffhanger and save the Ryan and the girl in the negazone for next week, have the sentient universe conjure companions for Yaz and the Doctor, maybe have the Doctor realise what it's doing, but it engages her directly about instead of manipulating her. Maybe bring a special guest in, like Alex Kingston for that.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 2, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rochallor posted:

I feel like 12 would just come out and say it, except that in Series 10 he'd be nicer about it.

12 was always good with kids, remember Hide? It was adults he was a dick to .

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like the Dalek's little grabby hand in place of the plunger.

And Bradley as Cockney geezer Doctor would probably have been great but too similar in a way to Capaldi.

Edit: And the Doctor being only barely passive-aggressive (in the sense that she was about a hair's width from outright aggression) to Ryan's dad was great.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 2, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nah, Jodie can distinguish those two. Her delivery of the 'intruder alert' bit about the doorbell is "the Doctor doesn't understand how normal Earth stuff works". The stuff with Ryan's dad was an extension of her reading him the riot act about not showing up at the funeral.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I mean it's pretty loving great that THIS was considered a "subtle" Dalek. It was able to hold off just killing the gently caress out of EVERYTHING for like 35 minutes and the other Daleks are probably absolutely amazed about that (and also deeply disgusted and they want to exterminate it too).

Well, clearly it's gone native.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As perfect as the Daleks as a design and a fascist/ethnosupremacist allegory are, I do occasionally wonder what it's like for a Dalek on Skaro. Like... there's no non-Daleks to exterminate, so what do they do? Are there Dalek chat shows? Dalek shopkeepers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Develop plans and devise ways to exterminate those who aren't on Skaro.

Look, I just want to imagine Dalek Trevor Noah mocking the Supreme Dalek on the Skaro Daily Show.