Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lampsacus posted:

Rewatching The Power of Three in preparation for the Ch.era. Its the debut of Kate Stewart ^-^! Also, "science leads" reference which is echoed in the 50th. I heard on the Radio Free Skaro latest episode that this episode isn't so good because of the end? i'm half way through and its pretty cool so far. a very relaxed chill vibe. There is space and little moments. Which will be cool to see. I always felt the 12th Doc was rather neurotic (especially in the beginning). It'll be cool to see the 13th's atmosphere as more open. There is also this neat scene in power of three where the doctor muses to Amy about how quickly life goes by and how he appreciates every moment of it :3 "I am running to you and Rory before you fade from me."
I really like it until the last act which is just a disappointing let down. It's not a disaster but it could have been a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

HD DAD posted:

Seriously, this is the best Doctor Who has ever looked. Absolutely gorgeous.

Good thing I'll be watching most of the series on ABC's glorious iView!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Grace's death felt like incredibly contrived and arbitrary, but other than that I liked the episode.

I kept thinking of Tim Shaw from Dental Demtel, which made the mockery work even better.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

How many of the names at the end were recognisable to a UK native audience? Not being from the UK (and not watching much British TV these days) I couldn't really tell.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

spog posted:

I was quite happy when it was just a very good screwdriver instead of being a phone, computer, GPS, mp3 player, divining rod, USB stick, or - as you say - easy plot issue solver.

"What are you going to do, assemble a cabinet at them?”

I don't mind when it's a scanner. Curious to see how to this incarnation's love of gadgets plays out though.

It's when you get stupid poo poo like Rings of Akhaten where there's a whole bit about opening a door by sonicing really. hard. that it bugs me

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

One question I have and it comes up all the time - how do humans not know about aliens? Did they not deal with a planet wide issue on a weekly basis during 10s run?

11's first season kinda sorta retconned a lot of them out of existence.

Please ignore any subsequent massive alien invasions.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

The only thing I thought was weird was the Doctor getting mad at the crane guy for attacking the alien who tried to murder him. Or was that just a 'the Doctor is neurotic' moment?

It was weird that it was mentioned and then dropped so quickly. It was like he stole a chip from someone else's plate, not that he pushed a dude off a crane.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

McGann didn't really use his natural accent for the Doctor, though. He mostly goes RP rather than Liverpudlian.

Tennant didn't either, unfortunately.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Now that I think about it, this is really exactly what I expected from a Chibnall season.

The episodes he's written to date have never risen above 'serviceable', and that's how these last two episodes have been. Not awful, certainly not good or great. Just kinda there. No risk-taking (beyond the laudable casting of the Doctor, that is)

At least they're his two best episodes so far.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

precision posted:

Maybe the voices were just calling her the Timeless Child? That's how it seemed to me anyway. :shrug:

I had a lot of trouble hearing what they were saying but that's what I thought too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

Faction Paradox is a spin-off of Doctor Who, originating in the novel Alien Bodies.
http://factionparadox.wikia.com/wiki/Faction_Paradox_Wiki
Uh what. There is this fandom for a, from my perspective, obscure spin off series from a DW novel?! What is this and how has it eluded me?!

I genuinely wonder what Mad Larry thinks about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I know Tom's presence in the 50th was leaked (by Tom) but were there any spoilers about McGann's appearance?

Or John Hurt's earlier?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

So it is. No clue how I missed it. :p

Twitter cut it off unless I viewed the image in full. I was looking for it too.

No mention of Gone in 60 Seconds either.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

After The War posted:

I think a lot of it comes down to Revival Who's tendency to go with ridiculous time frames. There's no reason to have Crisco come from the 79th century - he isn't characterized any differently than someone from today, and he's able to blend into Earth, 1955 just fine. How much do you know about life in 3800 BC? That's the time frame they used, and it doesn't make sense. They could have gone with someone from 100-500 years out and still used the Neural Inhibitor and even time travel if they wanted. If they didn't want to give humans time travel that early, he could have bought the equipment or done the TNG "mugged a time traveler" thing.

That's not even getting into how different the ethnic makeup of humanity will be by that point, and that racism of that period will almost certainly be dependent on a different set of signifiers, and... it's just a weird choice, and only leads to these kinds of arguments.

I thought the 79th century was just where his device was set to, and that he was actually from the 51st/52nd Century since that's where we know the Stormcage is and where vortex manipulators are from.

Not that that improves things much.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Okay, that's all a pretty fair judgement on the period stuff. The cost of period clothing/set dressing sneaks up on you.

Except when you can re-use old stuff.

It's why a lot of Star Trek TOS was done the way it was, and part of the reason the costumes in The Ribos Operation look so good is that they were from a production of Anna Karenina.

Even in the modern series you still get things like reusing the sets built for Rome for the Pompeii episode.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If you are arachnophobic how bad / tolerable is the episode?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

What is with the insistence on not doing multi-part episodes in recent seasons?
Seasons 8 had a two-parter, season 9 was mostly two-parters or linked episodes, and season 10 had the Monk episodes and then the Cyberman two-parter.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

How the gently caress do you run out of Sherlock Holmes stories? It's a goddamn adaptation!

God, that show wasted all of its potential.

It's not a detective show it's a show about a detec :suicide:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

After The War posted:

I'd kill to have something as loopy/trippy as "Castrovalva" or "Enlightenment" again.
Heaven Sent is probably the closest?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Why am I hearing of terribly mixed audience reviews of season 11? I had thought that Whittaker was doing a great job.
And there's rumors of Chibnall and Whittaker getting axed!?

:thunk:

The rumours I read where about them being unhappy with production / the BBC and threatening to quit, rather than the BBC being unhappy with them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Holy poo poo the music in The Sea Devils is loving weird even compared to some other Pertwee stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwhTqTiOkG8

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Rusty was really good at names.

There's a bit in an interview with Charlie Brooker where he talks about how he can just sit down and rattle off names and it bugs the poo poo out of some other writers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzZzOV9MF20&t=1715s

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I mean mostly you don't want to shoot Daleks because that's never actually solved a Dalek problem in the history of ever, but you know, keep on strawmanning.

What about if you fired concentrated beams of rock and roll?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPOBd3pxI-s

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Astroman posted:

Also the regenerated Rassilon was kinda weak.

I didn't realise he was meant to be Rassilon until they literally said his name.

The Doctor searching for Gallifrey was a wonderful direction to take the show after the anniversary special and I'm still annoyed about how Moffat pissed that away.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

We've missed the last few episode of the season, if we watched the special would we be spoilt on anything major?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That was good and occasionally great. Definitely Chibnall's best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I really like the idea of the scrapheap Dalek but the middle section seemed a bit skinny and cylindrical given how wide the base was. It looked fine from the front but a bit weird from some other angles.