Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Only a week to go~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm cool with ten episodes if it means they've got a handle on production schedules and mean we aren't going to be seeing split seasons and skipped years and people ERASED FROM DOCTOR WHO under Chibbers

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I really enjoyed seeing the Doctor literally get her clothes from an op shop after my initial description of the new outfit last year was "space op shopper." Though she definitely rocked Capaldi's old kit, too.

Really like what they've set up so far. Jodie is great as the Doctor, the companions feel reasonably fleshed out and play well off each other, and even if it does take us a little bit to get back to the TARDIS it looks like we're still set to see a good variety of adventures in space/time.

Chokes McGee posted:

One thing: Thirteen said she had family but they're gone. What happened to Susan :ohdear:

According to Big Finish, she went back to Gallifrey to serve in the Time War despite the Eighth Doctor's best attempts to prevent the call to arms from reaching her. They haven't followed up yet beyond that.

When the Doctor was talking about her family like that, I almost anticipated a callback to the Trought's line about them "sleeping in my memory" from Tomb, but that probably would've been terribly wanky.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

I am actually hoping that they'll be TARDISless for a few eps, or even the whole season. Simply because it gives them an excuse to travel with the Doctor while trying to get home, like we had in the beginning of the show, with Tegan, or even with Lucie Miller. The idea that the companions can't get home and the Doctor is trying to get them home but has no control over where they'll end up this week is so much better than "well I have perfect control over the TARDIS, how about we meet on weekends and have adventures."

Yeah, I'm all for "oops, we got caught up in some stuff, but my scanner says the TARDIS is this way so if we just take this teleporter/jump this ship I can get you... oops! we got caught up in some stuff, but..." for a while. I'm happy for a "quest for the TARDIS" arc to take a while as long as we're getting a variety of settings and stories between it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bruceski posted:

This is my return to Doctor Who after quite a while, I think the last episode I saw was Blink. When she poked her nose and passed out, then that glowing light drifted off, is that some Doctor plot element thing that I should know about?

The nose thing was just a quirky bit of "the Doctor has weird senses and can read things about the atmosphere/themselves that regular people can't" that pops up from time to time.

The glowing and golden breath was just "she's resting and still early into the actual process of regeneration so she isn't entirely all together and herself yet" like you you'd have seen in The Christmas Invasion (and later kind of showed up in Deep Breath)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Even not knowing a good majority of the actors it was trying to showcase, it was still a nice sample of "here is the type of characters/visual settings you're going to see for the rest of the year" without getting into showing too much actual footage from the episodes so after shrugging a bit I also kind of appreciated it despite it not being the most engaging teaser

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Safeword posted:

So why did the Doctor get all pissy at that guy for kicking Tim off the crane?

We're in the "actively trying to harm someone that has already been subdued is wrong" part of the Doctor's lifecycle (in opposition to the "holy poo poo, Burke and Hare, I'm your biggest fans!!!" part of the cycle)

Robert J. Omb posted:

b) She’d already detonated five bombs in Tim’s head.

This is one of those "well, technicalllly" things where the Doctor had just put their bombs back in Tim's tentacle machine and he was the one that then downloaded them into himself and then later activated them himself intending to kill everyone else.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 8, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
If you look at it as presented in that picture with the right side (which we know is actually the bottom) as the top it looks like an alien finger to me.

The "hurr, it looks like a sex toy" thing we've been hearing since it was revealed always seemed a bit tryhard and "oh, it has three settings!" from Fatal Death like "haha, the Doctor is a woman now so her screwdriver is a vibrator" while we were getting literal cock measuring competitions between Doctors with them with Moffat

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

TinTower posted:

Let's see what the general reaction on Gallifrey Base is…

oh.

The episode contained absolutely no Ben Chatham. 0/10

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

And zero years since Salamander has been trying to take over the world!

Salamander would be better than the current government we have here in the Australasian Zone tbh

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hahaha

https://twitter.com/Raphaelite_Girl/status/1049184923175849985

https://twitter.com/JAMALIGLE/status/1049767489423515648

Stairs posted:

Now the point of this: I know I want to jump into more 6 and Charley, more non TV companions and Dark Eyes but which (6 especially) adventures would you suggest other than those? Later adventures obviously. Charley ends at Zagreus, Lucie at Human Resources, and Erimem at the one where her cat dies on Spotify so after that I'm open!

Lucie's easy: for more of her you'll just want the other three series of the Eighth Doctor Adventures that follow on from what you've already heard

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1049947935423823872

Big Fin have confirmed that leaked Ten/Donna/Wilf/lovely Mum set

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
gruesomely murder Donna's mum, bring Jackie Tyler in without explanation because Jackie rules

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

:aaaaa:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

:3:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

"Calling the War Council of Gallifrey.... this is the Doctor!" in that pitch-perfect Hartnell voice never fails to get to me. :swoon:

Seriously. I could grouse about using archive audio for the living Doctors instead of getting them to record new voiceovers for that scene but the First Doctor spinning in with such a perfect impersonation still gives me shivers of dumb fangirl excitement so I'm too busy being excited to let mild disappointments like that bother me afterwards.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Big Finish Short Trips with the Metacrisis Doctor are pretty good, though that's in a fair part because they're narrated by Camille Coduri, presented as conversations Jackie is having with one of her friends, and Jackie is the best

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Yvonmukluk posted:

They've done stories with them? Tell me more.

What're Rose and Handy getting up to?

Just a couple in their "Short Trips" range of narrated short stories so far, but yeah. Handy serves as the scientific adviser for UNIT in the new universe, trying to grow himself a TARDIS in his lab at the top of their base in Big Ben. Rose isn't really directly involved in either of the stories, but it's mentioned she works as an assistant for Pete, who is now a captain in UNIT.

The two stories they've done so far are more small scale and focused on examining how Handy differs from the "real" Doctor and his growth into someone more fully Doctor-like through the lens of Jackie's strained relationship with him.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

corn in the bible posted:

How are Big Finish Torchwood generally? Are they any good?

They're better than the show at least, for whatever that's worth.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ryan: You're scared of spiders?
Doctor:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Davros1 posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/third-doctor-jo-grant-and-liz-shaw-return

Third Doctor Vol 5. Jon Culshaw to play The Brigadier, and Daisy Ashford (who happens to be the daughter of Caroline John and Geoffrey Beevers) to play Liz Shaw.

This is interesting.

I wonder how long before we see the Master pop up here, and if they'll recast Delgado or just fit Beevers in to the Third Doctor's era. Surely there's nothing to stop them doing the former now that they're recasting beyond the Doctor himself? Could see them wanting to do 3DA v6 featuring the final story of the Delgado Master

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Man the production team must've been running themselves ragged in the RTD years to produce four regular series plus a year of "the star is off doing theater so here's four hour long specials instead" compared to everything that's come since.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
People complained about how much Ryan and Yaz sitting behind the bin, talking about their experiences with racism in current times despite all the progress since Rosa's day, was beating people over the head with the message of the episode and yet here we are doing the "but how can there be racism in the future!?" dance.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 25, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Torchwood will be taking on some returning Who monsters in their monthly range next year, including the Big Finish debut (addendum: in a range people actually care about) of...

I'm sure tv series 1 Torchwood probably would've done a queef joke if they'd had the Slitheen on there

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 1, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

The slitheen have been in BF stuff before. Specifically the Lady Christina Box

Oh, my bad, that was one I didn't listen to so I missed it and don't remember seeing it mentioned. Apparently they were also in the Tenth Doctor Chronicles? So not really anywhere there was going to be a lot of eyes (er, ears) on them

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 1, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
If you haven't heard Big Finish's quite good adaptation of Russel "The" Davies' rather good pre-revival novel it is currently available for 4.99 and I think it's an interesting listen for fans of the show even if you're iffy on the New Adventures generally just for seeing the seeds RTD was planting before being able to bring the show back properly

Wheat Loaf posted:

I will be interested in seeing how Moffat and Gatiss's "Sherlock-style" Dracula show turns out. :v:

The trick here is to just listen to the Big Finish adaptation where Gatiss played Dracula and ignore whatever TV guff he and Moffat squeeze out.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Orv posted:

Insofar as the season has gone I think you're probably 100% right. None of the Doctor's big bads would really fit in honestly, it's just not grim enough.

Time to roll oit the Chumblies :3:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wolfechu posted:

You can say what you want about Miles the person

As bad as he got about Moffat and Neil Gaiman at the worst of his blog, at least he isn't "I as a cis gay man can get married now, so why are those trannies whinging about silly things like pronouns????" like Gatiss so I wouldn't even rate him as worst as a person for potential head writers.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

TinTower posted:

Between Graham Linehan being busy forcing period poverty campaigners off twitter and getting police warnings for harassing women, and Gareth Roberts going all Nurse Who, Gattis in comparison isn’t the worst.

Gattis' rubbish is small time compared to them yeah, but he was someone that had been brought up as a possible alternative showrunner so he made the most sense to compare Lawrence Miles to :shrug: Meanwhile Gammon is a comedy writer who hasn't actually created anything in like a decade and Roberts had shown his whole arse and become persona non grata to the series before Moffat was leaving so they seemed a bit irrelevant, as vile as they are

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

TinTower posted:

Gammon did hound Cariad Lloyd off Twitter this week for not being sufficiently pro-woman enough.

Also he has a weird obsession with mansplaining lesbianism to the editor of Diva.

Yeah, I've seen. He's an absolute cock, and a massive disappointment to see that someone whose work was so important to bringing me a bit of joy when I was first struggling with my sense of self would absolutely, virulently hate who I am. I'm not trying to downplay anything he's done. Like I said, he's as vile as they come. He just isn't someone that was ever going to come up in conversations about who should head up Doctor Who.

Jerusalem posted:

This one really hurts, I'm such a huge fan of basically everything he's written :sigh:

Dylan Moran has apparently been doing some good poo poo in his standup, so I feel relatively guilt free about Black Books at least.

https://twitter.com/stef_wholemeal/status/1071145917103824896

IT Crowd always had that horribly transmisogynistic episode that should've been a clue to where Gammon would end up. I just pretend Arthur Mathews created Father Ted by himself.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wolfechu posted:

Wait, has Gatiss said stuff like that? Because that sounds exactly like Gareth Roberts, who's an enormous arse about these things on social media. Gatiss always struck me as being a lot quieter.

He's not Roberts level of things, but

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/sexuality/fast-lane/article/2017/08/14/actor-mark-gatiss-says-lgbt-community-should-be-worried-about-isis-and-chechnya posted:

“What really gets me very worked up these days is that we are losing ourselves sometimes in tiny debates about personal pronouns when the world is on fire and ISIS is throwing people off buildings for being gay,” he says in the podcast.

“And they’re opening f***ing concentration camps in Chechnya. You know, we should be so lucky, we should wake up! And it is an inevitable result of success.

“We are bound together in adversity with a lot of strange bedfellows and the more success you have, the more you start to fall out within it, and start having rows about themselves, as opposed to the bigger picture!”

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CityMidnightJunky posted:

He's right though.

Sure, just like chuds that try to downplay feminism with "why are you complaining about the wage gap when women in the middle east..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rochallor posted:

I was enjoying this episode up until the Doctor's plan of "find a Dalek-sized black hole." That's what the plan was, right? I still have no loving clue how that was supposed to work.

Thought it was more "leave a Dalek sized hole in the Tardis's forcefield or shielding or whatever you would call it." Except she messed up and didn't have as fine a control on it as she thought so oops, it slipped open wider.

E:fb