Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

TinTower posted:

To be fair, "Midnight" was literally knocked up together the night before filming while RTD was high on five different types of cough medicine.

Moffat wrote Day Of The Doctor by the seat of his pants as well, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Is what they did to the villain definitely better than killing him?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

God I can't get over what a terrible title that is. "The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos". It sounds like the name of the Doctor Who parody show Peter Griffin would be watching.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah, Gatiss is probably close enough to Moffat that he had no desire to inherit what looked and sounded like a miserable death march. Iirc Moffat only stayed on past Husbands Of River Song because they couldn't find anyone else to do the job

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That is proper skinny.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to either guess at what Moffat would say about trans people or die, I'd guess he'd go with what he said about writing a male and female Master at the same time: "English should just get rid of gendered pronouns altogether"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

BBC executive marching into RTD's office to tell him the show NEEDS to take a year off, emerging covered with cigarette burns and inky slashes from a fountain pen

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

The Beast Below is a pretty good episode, I think. I didn't remember it being, but on a rewatch, there are just a lot of things to like. Amy identifying the Doctor with the whale and making a choice that was more right than the one the Doctor would have made, and his arguing with her and admitting she was right pretty quickly, it's just a fun watch.

Moffat's basically disowned that episode, which is weird because... I mean... it's great. On a rewatch after Matt Smith's era concluded, a line I particularly liked was "[explains plan to do the least cruel thing he can think of to resolve the situation, which is still extremely cruel] and then I find a new name, because I won't be the Doctor any more."

I suppose two of my defining Doctor moments would be the fight with the Half-Face Man in Deep Breath and the big climactic speech of Death In Heaven: "I... am... an idiot!"

Also in Last Christmas when Clara is trapped in a dream and the Doctor tries to save her.

quote:

DOCTOR: None of this is real. What's real is there is an alien organism wrapped around your face, keeping you warm and happy while it eats you. You're dying.
CLARA: If this is a dream, how can you be here? How can we both be having the same dream?
DOCTOR: There was only one way to get to you.
CLARA: And what was that?
DOCTOR: I'm dying too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'd love a 9/12 episode. Also one with 11, really because I just want to see Matt Smith again

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I forget exactly what the review I read of the episode said about the title, but it was something along the lines of "if it was by Russell T Davis there would have been a big high-stakes actual battle, and if it was by Steven Moffat there would have been some kind of wordplay or twist involved". It seems like a bit of a moot point to me, because neither one of them would have given one of their episodes that name in the first place

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Remember when Moffat called the town the episode was set in Christmas because it was a Christmas special, and they called the Doctor "the man who stayed for Christmas" :v:

What was that planet I think RTD named in one episode, Lovers Lament or something? It was a fun name for a planet anyway

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

When I first watched the show and didn't know the Lore I thought the Doctor had to be inside the Tardis to do it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I recall someone I followed on twitter saying they were done watching the show after that episode, if that's how the Doctor was going to be writren now. Which of course it wasn't, but still I wonder how that guy reacted to the news that the guy who wrote that episode would be taking over the show

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the Great Intelligence also calls him out on it later?

Yeah, in Name Of The Doctor everyone's talking about how nice the Doctor is and the Great Intelligence says "tell that to Solomon the trader" a name I'd completely forgotten when I watched that episode the first time :v:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Whithouse pissed away the great story hook of "aliens have brainwashed the Doctor". He pissed it down the drain and I wish the character he played in Twice Upon A Time had died

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Rochallor posted:

Vampires of Venice is quite good, if a little slight. Whithouse had a real nice run for a while; The God Complex has a quite good script that Nick Hurran just knocks out of the ballpark with his direction. And... then we get to A Town Called Mercy, which isn't bad, but just feels empty. Then comes the Capaldi era and he just drops straight off a cliff. The underwater two-parter is just awful and unambitious, and then The Lie of the Land is pretty handily the worst Capaldi episode, and maybe the worst of the whole revival. I guess in fairness to Whithouse, the only appropriate end to the wet fart of the Monks storyline is making GBS threads your pants.

I am going to win exactly zero friends when I say that the Zygon two-parter is really good, except for the speech at the end, which has some problems.

There are some problems overall with the politics of the episode, which I think is a sadly necessary consequence of trying to tell that kind of story in this setting (how else are you going to resolve "zygons want to live as themselves among humans on earth" but with "zygons keep on living in human bodies and are basically fine with it") more than anything the writer really thinks. I would guess they worked backwards from the message "the work of peace is never done" (I just realised the comment about how they've done this same thing a bunch of times foreshadows Heaven Sent) and either didn't think too hard or didn't have time to do more with the end result. Anyway, I think the plot in the episodes is generally pretty good, and it's got two Jenna Colemans in

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I remember I initially really disliked how Kate escaped from the zygon that ambushed her by... just loving shooting it, but I love it now, if for nothing else than that it's such an obvious and common-sense answer, but the Doctor and the audience aren't primed for that kind of resolution to the point that it becomes a plot twist

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He was so good in his first series. Series 9 and 10 he was just playing Older Matt Smith

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Poor Moffat thinks in terms of fairy tales, and the happy ending in a fairy tale is a wedding, so after Amy and Rory's wedding he kind of didn't know what to do with them and they eventually just sputtered out. That's another way Clara is basically Amy turned inside out, after the resolution of "her story" she got stronger as a character, which is why she's better than them.

I keep getting articles like that one recommended to me, and it drives me batty because I can't stop clicking on them and they're terrible. Like one about how Chibnall is refreshing after Moffat increasingly focused on epic sagas and crazy plot twists over character-centric stories (Moffat's time in charge of the show was characterised by literally the exact opposite thing happening)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I really like the big climax in Last Of The Time Lords, I'm surprised it's so maligned. It's not too far removed from something Moffat would do, which actually might explain it, with basically the story of the Doctor taking on a power of its own and saving the day. Plus Martha laughing at what an obvious dumb decoy the anti-Master gun was

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I guess when you have Timothy Dalton playing your character, you don't need to do much with the character because he's being played by Timothy Dalton.

A philosophy Moffat would go on to follow with Richard E Grant :v:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I like that episode a lot. The gradual reveals that all the characters have been keeping secrets culminating in the Doctor confronting Clara about what her secret is and finding out she doesn't have one was well done. Even the reset button feels like an appropriate conclusion somehow- doesn't hurt that Time Magic allows the character growth that happens during the episode to kind of happen to the side characters even if none of the actual events that caused it did. Probably the only non-Moffat episode of series 7 I'll ever bother rewatching! Actually Nightmare In Silver is decent too

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I kind of feel like all the scripts this season were made for Insert Doctor Here instead of Jodie and it's pretty hard to screw up "The Doctor Hates Daleks."

Iirc they were, first draft at least was written with no knowledge of who'd been cast. Chibs has no excuse for the episodes he wrote of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Google keeps recommending poo poo like this to me in an apparent attempt to get me to hyperventilate to death https://www.vulture.com/article/best-doctor-who-christmas-specials-ranked.html