Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

First page of this thread had some quality Hartnell gifs and a funny Jodie Whitaker clip, we're getting off to a great start here. Looking forward to this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I literally can't remember the back-half of Power of Three, and I've seen it at least twice. The beginning, where Matt Smith is trying to figure out how not to stay bored staying in one place forever, is great, and Rory's Dad was always fun.

42 is a quality episode of Doctor Who, though, in terms of balancing the whimsy and the more maudlin aspects of the show, and I sort of expect it's more the direction Chibnall's writing will take. That this first season seems to be all stand-alone episodes means it'll be more fun, monster-of-the-week kind of stuff and a little less dire and serious. The huge amount of fresh talent and, if the reviews are any indication (spoiled just in case, although no plot spoilers here) the increased production values will do some of the heavy lifting.

Three more days, right?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

Victory of the Daleks is a really good episode but I thought the twist was gonna be way more interesting than it was :\

It's just Power of the Daleks minus the menace and with weird Churchill worship, but I really love the scene where Matt Smith gets teleported up to their ship.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Apropos of nothing. At one time, we had 13 episodes a year plus a Christmas special, although that schedule did need them to double up and record two episodes at the same time. Now we have 10 plus a Christmas special. Is this worth being slightly concerned about?

Early reviews say that the production values have increased, which might be part of why they have to film fewer. If they can at least stop taking hiatus years, I guess I'm on board.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Let's be honest, the only way to run Doctor Who is to have 365 episodes a year, which, thankfully, the cruel tyrant, Nick Briggs, has ensured will happen by hiring all of the actors to ever stop by Doctor Who for an audition and giving them all incredible lunch catering. :v:

More seriously, I think 8-10 episodes is a way better standard than the 13/24 standard, but Doctor Who is definitely the exception that blossoms a little when it's given space. Chibnall is trying to funnel some actual money into concepts, though, it looks like, and is taking a "showrunner" vs. a "head writer" decision, which I get. The rubber masks just aren't going to cut it anymore!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Buying the Amazon season pass for this season will mean I'm on a one day delay, right?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well Manicured Man posted:

You should get the episodes early Monday morning, in my experience.

I got a ticket to see the premiere at the theater near me... but it's on Wednesday. So now I have to agonize over whether I should watch the episode on Monday, then see it again at the theater, or quarantine myself until Wednesday. Decisions, decisions...

I've done the "quarantine until theater" thing twice and I highly recommend it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Congratulations to those who will be watching this in 10 minutes, I will have to wait until it hits Amazon or Plex. Doctor Who is back!! Hooray!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Just got through watching it. It's... really good-looking. There are some individual shots in there that were just beautiful, like the one of the train's dim lights moving through the tunnel.

What most amazes me is that with three companions (really, four, because Grace was one in this first episode), the script didn't feel too crowded. All of them had something to do and they didn't resort to the usual "split up by capture" thing. I like all three of them and I'm looking forward to learning more about them..

Thirteen is great so far! One thing that they really nailed is that when she says, essentially, "Just trust me" and sputters off a bunch of "reverse the polarity" type-stuff (DNA bombs, lol), you for once feel like people are listening to her because she's just the kind of person you instantly trust. A lot of the time in Doctor Who, the heel characters are the ones who won't listen to the Doctor because he sounds insane, but the only reason they come off as obnoxious is because the writing forces them to be. The Doctor usually does sound quite mad. Even while Thirteen is talking about all of her cells burning and being born, she just sounds credible, for some reason, you can believe that people want to believe her.

I don't mind a character death as motivation for some of the other characters. The family seems big enough that it's not the only their sole characteristic. Ryan's dad, his dyspraxia, his awkward relationship with his step-grandfather, his warehouse job that he wants to move on from, all of those things help to make him more than just his grandmother's death.

I was a little worried the new composer would be too understated, but Akinola is definitely having some fun here and there, with the little bit of the theme thrown in and some maudlin violins and stuff. The new theme song is much closer to the classic one than it has been since like... before the 1980s.

Some bad(-ish) stuff: the villain was definitely generic. The teeth thing felt more gross-out than horrific, he had that stupid, gaspy, echoing deep voice they give to warrior aliens (which, besides being a cliche is hard to hear their individual words), and he was just your typically, haughty, war alien. The "she built it using whatever she could find in Sheffield" makes me like the new sonic design a little better, but it still looks like it was designed with Legos and Play-Doh. I'm never a big fan of "the TARDIS is lost/destroyed forever" as a plot for more than a single episode, because we know that eventually they are going to move past it, and it's one of the few things that feels like someone is meddling with the core of the show.

Overall, I think it was a great time for a change, and I really like all of the people they've hired. I'm not sold on Chibnall as head writer yet (although I think this first episode was good), but I am pretty sold on him as a showrunner, only 10 episodes a season or not. We've got a good, diverse cast who seem to be having the time of their lives, a good composer, and great production values. It's a new era!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Peeny Cheez posted:

Or Jenny, for that matter?

The Doctor doesn't know that Jenny survived.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I hope all the dumb nerds are still mad about a Lady Doctor because this was really good.

I hope they watched the episode preparing to hate-watch the series and write angry blogs and were instead won over by Jodie Whitaker's charm and changed their worldview.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

A joke from an episode that's not well liked that I liked was the Sandman one with the door that the drunken workers had reprogrammed to only open if you sing "Sandman" at it because they thought it was funny.

The problem is that the episode is playing the joke on us! We've heard the song so many times by the end of that episode, we never want to hear it again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, whatever issues this episode had (and I only think there were a few), Jodie Whitaker is very definitely the Doctor. I hope she does at least four years of it, and maybe more.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm just picturing someone watching this and ignoring everything that happens after the Dr Strange button, asking "When are they going to explain how the alien permission slip works?" in the Milhouse "When are they going to get the fireworks factory?" voice. Like, I'm sure there are dumber minor things that have made me stop suspending disbelief, but it's a really funny thing to focus on.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

Jodie did an AMA on Reddit, there's nothing mindblowing in it but she seems genuinely awesome

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9mfmok/i_am_jodie_whittaker_i_play_the_doctor_on_doctor/

Yeah, "genuinely awesome" nails it.

Like, if anyone should play an idealistic traveler who defeats terrifying, brute force militaristic aliens with wit, hope, and a yo-yo, she's it, because it just seems to come naturally to her. Even if some of that is a public face she puts on as part of the publicity end of being a high profile role, she's really, really good at it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the dramatic irony in the Trophy's mantra - "I am important. Somebody wants me. I am valuable." He was right, but not how he expected to be.

He was a fun minor character in a lot of ways. He decides "Nope, I don't want to know anything about this, I'm leaving," and the Doctor lets him, which is a nice change. He's a crane operator afraid of heights, aware that he only has his job through nepotism, trying to make himself feel worthwhile even though he's obviously kind of directionless, and when he finally gets some confidence, it's only to kick a bad guy who's already been beaten, probably because he was too terrified and confused to follow along.

Most Doctor Who characters neatly fall into the categories of "obstreperous authority worshipers who refuse to believe in any kind of alien threat," "someone who wants to shoot the aliens even though they've been told it won't work or we should try to reason with them," "amoral power-grabbers attempting to collaborate with the hostile aliens," or "curious, brave helpers, happy to see the Doctor and play along with her adventures." It's nice to see a little variety.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

She was also surprisingly good in Penny Dreadful. She apparently learned to act since the RTD years

Hm. I think she's actually fine in the RTD years, given the material, but she is, pun definitely intended, quite dreadful in Penny Dreadful, although a lot of it is the accent they have her attempting. She's good as Rose, but her part in PD just wasn't meant for her.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stairs posted:

Okay you Goons did it.
You talked about the audios so much that I have listened to every single audio starting an actual Doctor that is available on Spotify. It took me two months

For a minute I missed the "on Spotify" and I was about to offer my condolences on being trapped in a time loop.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TinTower posted:

I like the implication in Death of the Doctor that before regenerating, the Doctor piloted his TARDIS over the Earth to watch Adric smash into the planet.

Clara, after leaping into the Doctor's timestream, has the opportunity to save Adric from the Great Intelligence interference that leads him to die from the Cybermen, but just kind of shrugs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think if they'd left out the tooth thing and given Tim Shaw a very different design and a little more dialogue, it would have improved him a little, but, eh, it's the new companions and the new Doctor we're supposed to care about in a regeneration episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I need to ask again, does anyone know if digital sales of episodes are in any way counted towards viewing numbers for ratings?

I'm not in the field or anything, but I'm pretty sure that they don't, but networks have to monitor those closely either way. I don't know that low Nielsen ratings but big numbers from stuff like Amazon or the Apple store hurt an individual show like they used to; they just make networks re-think the model for how they deliver content and negotiate who can carry it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Hmmm.

I ask because I really want to help thwart that rear end in a top hat who's predicting a huge drop off in week two and I figure I could buy the show on every goddamned platform it was available on and quietly encourage others to do so as well.

He's probably going to win either way. Most shows see a huge drop off after the premiere and it has nothing to do with the quality of the show. A quick glance on Wikipedia indicates that there is a "watched within a week of airing" statistic that the track, which I think confirms that purchases are a different number. I imagine most people buying Doctor Who are getting a season pass, anyway.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tennant doing fake Estuary by way of Scottish just fits the Tenth Doctor, somehow.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Doctor, landing in Boston shortly before her generation, wakes up as Fourteen by saying "I'm gonna have to bang a U-ie at the cornah packie or we're gonna crash, kid."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spatula City posted:

I want a past character to return, see the TARDIS crew, and immediately know which one is the Doctor because she's dressed the silliest. :3:

Companions who could probably do this: Susan (she's his grandaughter), Zoe (her whole character is knowing stuff like this), Liz (sheer exasperation), Jo (I don't know why), Sarah Jane (she's had practice), Nyssa (it's exactly the kind of thing she would do), Peri (sheer exasperation again), Ace (rage-powered observational skills), Rory (I expect he could, it's been that kind of a day), Clara, but she wouldn't let the Doctor know.

All the hero worship companions are out, which kind of *Master voice* decimates Ten's companions.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Posting without reading from when the episode aired to go in fresh:

I really liked this episode! This is going to be a fun season, I think. We're starting to see companions not get a ton of screen time (Yaz, this time), but they don't feel the need to shunt them away or capture them. I like the small interactions between Graham and Ryan and between Ryan and Yaz. I thought Thirteen had Eight vibes in the first episode, but I think I see the Ten vibes in this one. The one-off characters were very RTD, but not in a bad way. The thing that makes the show feel the most different, really, is losing Murray Gold, but I like the way that Akinola seems understated, but plays with things, like incorporating the TARDIS wheezing sound into the triumphant music when it returns.

When Thirteen said "Oh, you've re-decorated!" I knew, immediately, that she was going to say something like "I like it!" and basically wink at the camera, and I was inwardly groaning, but something about the way Jodie Whitaker delivered "I really like it!" just made me smile. It sort of helps to set the tone for her Doctor. The TARDIS isn't my favorite design, but I like it, and I'm happy it's back.

So far, if I have any complaints, it's that I haven't been terribly impressed by any of the threats they've faced. Nothing has really filled me with a Vashta Narada sort of sense of dread or made me said "I can't wait until Big Finish gets to play around with this one!" Also, the pause and then "Or come to mommy" is a line I could have done without, but hey, whatever.

I thought we weren't doing season arcs or anything this time around, but it seems like "the Child Lost to Time" is going to be a thing. Question: ]: I sort of missed this (the baby was crying enough that I rewound over it enough times to give up on trying to figure it out) - was the hostile planet designed by the Tim Shaw race of aliens? Is that what Graham and the Doctor were talking about?

I'm happy they're taking a break from the regular Who monsters this season, but I do hope that next season, Chibnall gets to do his take on some returning villains. I think he'd do pretty well with the Master or the Sontarans, maybe even the Rutans.

Preview chat:

The next episode is uh... well, let's just say there are a lot more ways to gently caress it up than there are to do it right. I'm going to have my cringe food ready.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hmm... it seems other people didn't like it as much. Adjusting my perception to the thread consensus so that the next person who disagrees with many of the posts can call me "You people" and accuse me of some sort of hivemind conspiracy. Going to be hard, because I enjoyed it a lot, but as we all know, this thread is in complete agreement on everything, so I'll have to fall in line.

e: also, god help me, I've had trouble playing video games with a newborn, watching new TV shows is frustrating, I can only read when he's napping, and I already re-watched The Wire, so.... I'm rewatching New Who. Please pray for me.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 16, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

Agreed. Like I said initially I think it could have done with being either 15 minutes longer or with having 10 minutes cut, but the stuff it did well it did really well and the stuff it didn't do that great is stuff I don't care that much about.

Yeah, it's this. Like, horrible monster-water would normally have been demonstrated by some expendable character refusing to follow the Doctor's request not to go near the water, and getting monster-watered, and it felt less like a threat when it was just continuously explained and not demonstrated, but all things considered, that's a minor complaint.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TinTower posted:

It’s also the highest rated New Doctor story ever.

Oh my sainted aunt! I'd figured a shift change after a hiatus would have some people watching, but it's almost hard to argue against this being the casting decision. It bodes really well for future casting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

I want to know how ratings play out over a couple episodes though. Sometimes there is really massive falloff (I think Capaldi had that, for example)

"Highest rated ever" is still one hell of a thing, even if it experiences more than the average after-first-episode drop-off (and this wasn't even the first episode!).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

fractalairduct posted:

The water was less 'monster of the week' and more 'clue that everything on this planet is designed to kill you', I think. (And anyway, the Doctor has fought killer water before.)

Right, but it's still something that had to be explained by a character rather than demonstrated.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

I usually read spoilers and I'm pretty sure McGann was a shock to me.

Yeah, McGann was a complete surprise.

I think they probably could have kept Tom Baker under their hats, too, except that Tom himself went to an interview and more or less literally said "I'm not supposed to tell anyone that I'm in the special, but I'm telling everyone anyway: I am in the special. :D"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Wibbly wobbly time wimey" has been replaced by Jeremy Berimey. They're the same thing, but Jeremy is newer.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I love the Dream Lord and I love that episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I went into this episode expecting it to be a cringe-fest, and it was actually extremely good. It was uncomfortable in a good way. I agree with the post on this page saying the song was out of place, and Vinette Robinson had trouble acting around the forced accent. Other than that, it felt uncomfortable, in a good way. I like that the villain wasn't an alien threat, he was just a straight-up time traveling white supremacist. I normally get annoyed when they split the companions up repeatedly as a way to handle a crowded TARDIS, but they're doing a good job of developing the characters through letting them talk to each other, instead of just reacting to the Space Wizard.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, I haven't seen Chris Noth in anything since his early Law and Order days, so I literally thought this had to be a different Chris Noth, because of how different he looks.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Honestly I like that a bit better than the “maybe we misunderstood him, and he hates humans in general”. Nah, racism still exists in the far future and this guy is just a massive time-douche.

It's also pretty good timing to depict a very angry, American white supremacist raging against small steps forward that happened long before he was born, mostly by trying to rewrite history with little lies and changes to discredit and disempower the Civil Rights movement - the Supreme Court laid the foundations to strip away the VRA a few years ago and, well, look what's happening.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'll say "Darrrrrrn you, Chibbers!!" once it gets confirmed, because my hope with the episode count being reduced would be that there would be fewer delays. It means every actor stays with the role a little less long :smith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

But the production all seems bigger this time around. More international filming, better cinematography, etc.

Yeah, the quality has definitely increased, and that's good, but losing a season and a half every two years is a hell of a tradeoff. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

People complained about how much Ryan and Yaz sitting behind the bin, talking about their experiences with racism in current times despite all the progress since Rosa's day, was beating people over the head with the message of the episode and yet here we are doing the "but how can there be racism in the future!?" dance.

That scene was really good and I don't think it was beating people over the head at all. It's nice when the companions can just talk about their lived experiences from today, it helps to develop them as characters.