Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jonah Galtberg posted:

agreed, everyone please stop saying 'folks' immediately

there was a guy at my old work that always called everyone "folks" and i wanted to throw him out the window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i made the wise decision to not use a word that's so close to the toxic concept of volksdeutsch but i guess some of you just aren't quite woke enough yet, that's okay

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

Because they are? Can you give any examples of things the ALP has pledged to do that rock the boat at all? All they do is watch the LNP implode and go "hey look at this guy lmao" while consistently voting with them on most major policies, and offering nothing different in return.

Franking tax credits hth

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

:shrug: I hadn't heard about this, and had a look into this here. It's not something you see Labor get attacked about, and something I doubt most people have even heard of.

Is this a bit

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Where is this ostensible liberal infighting, they’ve been remarkably successful at closing ranks around Morrison and dealing with The Females

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

State & Territory Treasurers have come together to agree to scrap the tax on tampons and other feminine hygiene products. Another nail in the coffin for the Liberals, who spearheaded and accomplished this reform on tax, while Labor will definitely coast to victory in the next election, having rejected the notion for the entirety of its time in opposition apart from the last 6 months, when Bill Shorten learned that women vote

Interesting

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I always knew you were a lock for the skeleton party

Devastating snipe by MMG on this post

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Konomex posted:

What if you're giving him to much credit, what if he is legitimately asking someone to work it out for him?

Craig Laundy is about as far to the centre as you can get in the LNP (he was Malcolm’s staunchest defender and lost his Ministry after the spill), so he is making the point that moving to the right will not succeed. That said, as JBP and others have pointed out, like all moderate Liberals he lacks any kind of spine so he cloaks his critique behind wordplay.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

I feel that way too but at the end of the day you still got to bring positive ideas to to the table for those who listen.

My positive idea is forming a dictatorship of the proletariat and anything less is revisionism to me

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

imagining Alan Jones just getting completely wiped out by an 18 wheeler and becoming Calm

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

Chin Leong Tan, Australia's new race discrimination commissioner, sees his role very differently to predecessor Tim Soutphommasane. For one thing, he is not inclined to commentary or advocacy

If I said I wasn’t inclined to do my job I’d probably be sacked but good for him for being honest

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

I dunno, I'm in the mood for political violence a lot these days.

:same: except i'm also a coward

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The lawyer for the dickheads protesting outside abortion clinics has argued that calling women who get abortions murderers is much the same as “criticism of bankers” or “criticism of men by feminists”.

Also, the Tasmanian ban prevents calling women who get abortions murderers even if the women consent.

Also also, protesting abortions is like protesting apartheid.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Given Christianity’s problems with pedophilia you’d think that Lyle would be a bit more cautious before suggesting that childrens’ sex lives be monitored

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol if u think tories should be entitled to any privacy whatsoever

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

iajanus posted:

Canavan condemns business emissions self-regulation to meet Paris target

The ideological position that the Government must always defer to the whims of the market but also the market is not allowed to take any action is rarely seen in the wild.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol that Turnbull’s genius plan to get the conservatives on side with gay marriage has gone entirely wrong, after a Pentecostal fuckwad is PM no less

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

curious that he only started to care about the LNP's disastrous climate change policy once his dad was no longer PM

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

How'd Lucy Giuchi vote?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Australia’s chief medical officer on Nauru has been deported lol

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Australia, Israel and the US were the only countries at the UN to vote against Palestine chairing the G77. Fantastic company.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Reminder that single seat polls are worthless

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

norp posted:

I'm betting there is even worse stuff in there and beating on gay kids was them testing the waters.

All the recommendations are out, the most damning stuff is already public.

What’s stalling things is the Government response - they’ll have to either accept, reject or “note” (read as: reject but this is politically sensitive) each recommendation, and the fight over whether to legislate religious exemption from anti-discrimination law is going to further tear the coalition apart - see the question of gay teachers already causing trouble. ScoMo will be looking to delay that particular Cabinet argument as long as possible to maintain the facade of coalition unity.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ScoMo is very interesting to me. This is all armchair analysis, but originally I thought he was a conservative; now I think that just like Turnbull he’s an opportunist with no fixed ideals. However, he lacks Turnbull’s self-assuredness so you see him running off down random policy tangents to try to appeal to as many people as possible - see for example his idea for a second Australia Day for Aboriginal people, or the Israeli embassy, or now this Nuclear thing.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

Ah okay so yeah more of the same, or wind back the clock. Incrementalism is dumb, both parties are keen on the same neo lib bullshit strategy. There isn't any difference between the two parties philosophically, economically or socially. We're just tricked into thinking that the ALP actually stand for something different, when they clearly don't, and are just waiting for the Libs to lose govt, as opposed to actually winning it.

Gonna keep voting Greens 1, ALP Last-1, and LNP Last, but gently caress me it's frustrating having an opposition that isn't actually interested in shifting the Overton window of this country, rather than appearing not to be incompetent (while being loving useless)

So when are you setting up your armed vanguard party comrade

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Phelps is the quintessential Tree Tory and while there are some of those in the LNP proper, the fact that she’ll be independent gives her more latitude in for example not supporting torturing refugees. That said as a Tree Tory her ideals are very flexible in the face of economic incentives so I doubt she’s going to rock the boat for the Government if she gets in.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Sparticle posted:

lol remember when we sent Howard to the UK to teach them how to count but it didn't work so they still have FPTP

If you think about it, Howard failing to make the case for electoral reform in the UK increased the odds of Brexit occurring - making one of the mother country’s strongest supporters directly responsible in part for the inevitable collapse of the union

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

clusterfuck posted:

So yeah, failing that, bring on the high profile tree tories.

Betting on the tree tories is an incredibly dangerous game and I would not recommend it because as soon as the contradictions of capitalism nudge against their social conscience they’ll turn into reactionaries just like the rest

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

:mensch:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Swan was not incompetent

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/abc730/status/1054278958198521856

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The very existence of wait times is proof of a humane healthcare system. The US has shorter wait times because so much of the population is locked out of receiving any kind of medical care, freeing up resources for those fortunate enough to afford it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

Maybe the Australian Greens should pivot a little more and take on these lost souls with strong market economic policies and bikes.

Pro-bikes, anti-bikies; an electorally unassailable position

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I hadn’t noticed, but Labor is setting up for a climbdown on the issue of gay teachers at religious schools. Mark Dreyfus: “Labor has said consistently that we respect the right of religious schools to run their organisations in line with their beliefs and traditions.”

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It’s cool that even with polling showing an overwhelming majority (>70%) in favour, the ALP still can’t bring themselves to do something unequivocally Good.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

This actually made me feel bad for Tony Abbott. Why is he just standing there. What is he doing. If I was in that position somehow I’d probably go home and kill myself from embarrassment

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

tithin posted:

It's pretty much this, he's looking at the difference between their legacies. She's revered and he's reviled. He spent his best years belittling and demonising her and it didn't work

I know what he did but I don’t understand how he ended up standing there. What was the game plan here.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

$500 for a pair of earrings for a six month old is some loving ancien regime poo poo.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Does anyone know what's precipitated the sudden deluge of sympathy for asylum seekers (at least, some of them)? Indefinite detention has been going on for over half a decade now and all of a sudden it's front page news. Remember that the US transfer deal came about before Donald Trump was even president. It makes me feel like some conspiracy theory psycho but I can't help but wonder if some higher ups in the media foodchain are pushing everything to cripple ScoMo to whatever end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hidys posted:

Those allegations came and went and the government chose not to pay any attention.

Something big would have to happen that actually got the attention of mainstream.

Also this is pretty funny/tragic.

https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/1056508715614883840

I think inventing new metrics with which to spin polling would be fun

• Locked thread