Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Too loving timid? The run up to Libya was endless tub thumping about how important it was to give Johnny Foreigner a taste of our Brimstone missiles in the face of all our allies telling us that we really didn't need to bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Jeremy Corbyn: "No more wars"
Dominic Raab: "More wars"
Vince Cable: "Some more wars. I swear, are we the only sensible people left?"

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Maybe, but didnt you just have an extra strut to your stride when you were walking to you zero hour contract Amazon warehouse in those days?

All proud to be British because dirty foreigners were being blown to bits by Her Maj's RAF - Spitfires over the white cliffs of Dover, what?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

drat Labour's new press team are *good*

Graun Live posted:

As Chris Grayling addresses the conference – he has again apologised for the timetabling chaos on the railways and will announce some new spending on A roads – Labour has sent in a swift response to Raab’s speech, from shadow Brexit minister Paul Blomfield. He said:

quote:

Dominic Raab spoke for nearly 30 minutes, but he could have saved everyone‘s time and said just three words: nothing has changed.

The Brexit secretary offered no credible plan to break the deadlock in negotiations, no credible plan to avoid a hard border in Northern Ireland and no credible plan to protect jobs and the economy. It was a speech that offered no solutions on Brexit.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
A telling line from Raab: "But there’s a real sense that leave won fair and square." A real sense, as in, he admits there was some finaglery going on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HJB posted:

A telling line from Raab: "But there’s a real sense that leave won fair and square." A real sense, as in, he admits there was some finaglery going on.

Yeah that was the only notable part of his speech and only because it was rather forebodingly Orwellian.

Also like the Graun just saying "and then he rambled about anti-Semitism" with the dismissive tone it warrants.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Junior G-man posted:

Dominic Raab making the sensible case for restoring confidence by bombing responsibly:

quote:

Where Britain’s strength has always been as a nation is to have the confidence and the belief to say we’re doing this because it’s the right thing to do, it’s in our national interest to do.
You let the mask slip a bit there, Dom. The Great Game's been over a while now, you're supposed to dress it up in "humanitarian concerns" or "regional diplomacy" or "fighting terror/drugs/totalitarianism/abstract concepts", you're not supposed to straight up and say "we'll start bombing if it's in our national interest."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1046687898874105857

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey, it's more original and realistic than anything the tories themselves have come up with.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

chird posted:

This new thread seems like an ideal time to attempt to become re-acquainted with what's going on in the motherland. When I left the UK, Gordon Brown was still prime minister.

Presumably little has changed, everyone just going shopping at HMV, getting their film developed at Jessops, renting a DVD from Blockbuster and tucking into tasty Findus lasagna while laughing at some idiot white-haired toff on Have I Got News For You.

Steady on. Getting film developed in 2007 was a little bit Rees-Mogg even then!

Also, I am making lasagne rn. Not made out of horse (probably).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol Dawn's feed is comedy gold

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1046543528212475905

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Failed Imagineer posted:

[a bunch of cool stuff]

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

If you must go to Temple Bar I'd recommend Palace Bar for drinks which is a proper boozer and has reasonable prices.
This is great stuff, together with stuff already planned & general wandering that's probably the whole trip planned out, thanks very much :)

crispix posted:

There used to be a bath with an almost nude woman in that you could go and look at. People called her a hoor but I thought that was unfair on account of she didn't get any choice in the matter of being there and also it doesn't do to go around calling women hoors in this day and age anyway but they moved her to the middle of some old pond somewhere so they could put up a big spike and she doesn't have her bath so she just looks like she has wild back problems :(
Drugs. Got it.

Miftan posted:

op get a guiness stew if you're in ROI it's ace.
Holy crap, a correct food opinion! (but, in my house, every stew is guinness stew)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1046462314076139520
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1046462273290739714

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1046706021295697920

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ludd Was Right.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Same tbh. Top tier band name but i can't decide on the genre they'd play.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

namesake posted:

Same tbh. Top tier band name but i can't decide on the genre they'd play.

God's own genre, psychobilly.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

feedmegin posted:

Steady on. Getting film developed in 2007 was a little bit Rees-Mogg even then!

Also, I am making lasagne rn. Not made out of horse (probably).

I made my first lasagne last night and it turned out pretty well, I was right chuffed.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
So when is it May's turn to go on stage and embarrass herself for twenty minutes, saying nothing of note?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I learned many years back that I do not pronounce lasagna correctly

Ever since I still say it wrong but am aware of it as I'm saying it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Rarity posted:

f____ lasagne
Misread this entire sentence and am no longer hungry. The internet was a mistake.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Borrovan posted:

Misread this entire sentence and am no longer hungry. The internet was a mistake.

... Welp, guess I'm throwing away my leftovers

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Borrovan posted:

Comrades, idk if we've got any ROI goons in here but you're generally a good bunch for city recommendations: I'm in Dublin for a couple of days this week, is there anything particularly cool I should see or do? I enjoy pretty much everything, drink too much the correct amount too much, will definitely be trying to scope out a decent museum to learn about Irish independence, and obsessively hunt down and consume any food item that I don't know what it tastes like (in fact, any food & drink recommendations are greatly appreciated - even if they're rank, I just like knowing what stuff tastes like!).

Cheers all.

I would highly recommend the Natural History Museum. Cool Victorian galleried building with lots of skeletons and stuffed animals in it!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

So when is it May's turn to go on stage and embarrass herself for twenty minutes, saying nothing of note?

According to their conference website, Wednesday from 10:00 to 12:30 which is titled "Campaign 2022"

Put your bets in now 'rades, when do you think the Budd Dwyer moment comes? I'm going 11:47

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Whats wrong with horse meat? Goes great in peperoni style sausages for one.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
French watchdog says EU market rules need overhaul after Brexit

quote:

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain’s departure from the European Union next March will force a full review of the bloc’s sweeping new markets rules, including tougher market access conditions for foreign trading platforms, a top French regulator said on Monday.

Robert Ophele, chairman of France’s AMF markets watchdog, said Brexit will “obviously force us to undertake a complete review of the key metrics and parameters that we use in our daily MiFID II implementation”.

Funny how this comes out right after Raab warns the EU against trying to bully the UK.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Whats wrong with horse meat? Goes great in peperoni style sausages for one.

It's just a problem when the meat's supposed to be beef. No way to know where that horse meat came from.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Whats wrong with horse meat?

Horses bred for that kind of thing are probably fine, but we pump our horses full of all kinds of poo poo to make them run faster.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It never fails to amaze me that young Tories (or really any Tories younger than the 110 year old lich kings they keep in their private members' clubs) think that the RoI rejoining the UK is a solution to the border or to Brexit or something that would ever happen. SF would take their seats, their arms, and their gifted rubber ducks before that happened.

So here's three things more likely to happen than the RoI rejoining the UK.

OwlFancier posted:

Ludd Was Right.
Kropotkin was better.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Guavanaut posted:

It never fails to amaze me that young Tories (or really any Tories younger than the 110 year old lich kings they keep in their private members' clubs) think that the RoI rejoining the UK is a solution to the border or to Brexit or something that would ever happen. SF would take their seats, their arms, and their gifted rubber ducks before that happened.

So here's three things more likely to happen than the RoI rejoining the UK.

Kropotkin was better.

The second one should be renamed to "Celtic Union of the Northern Territories"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

I learned many years back that I do not pronounce lasagna correctly

Ever since I still say it wrong but am aware of it as I'm saying it.

How wrong? Are you a la-zag-na person???

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

are we hosed yet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

How wrong? Are you a la-zag-na person???
Las agnae. It's mixed Latin for 'the lambs', which it is made of.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tesseraction posted:

According to their conference website, Wednesday from 10:00 to 12:30 which is titled "Campaign 2022"

Put your bets in now 'rades, when do you think the Budd Dwyer moment comes? I'm going 11:47

Campaign 2022 - it's two-and-a-half hours of May standing there in stony silence, with just a single slide with the word "OPTIMISM (?)" crudely scrawled in the background.

Junpei Hyde posted:

are we hosed yet

Yes.

But prepare for a probable turbofucking come March.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Junpei Hyde posted:

are we hosed yet

With beans up your backside, yes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rarity posted:

With beans up your backside, yes

You mean there's another way?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is why people don't trust your lasagna.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Campaign 2022 - it's two-and-a-half hours of May standing there in stony silence, with just a single slide with the word "OPTIMISM (?)" crudely scrawled in the background.
15 minutes in, the lamp in the projector fizzles out with a faint blue pop. A small wisp of smoke drifts from out of the vent in the side. The lights in the building flicker briefly. She remains standing in silence.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

There's no chance of Ireland rejoining the UK voluntarily, you're quite right, but your average 'young' Tory probably a) remembers 1922 and b) thinks it was a mistake.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yes.

But prepare for a probable turbofucking come March.

Should I stock anime for the apocalypse

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Should I stock anime for the apocalypse

If you're not already stockpiling anime, I don't know what to tell you.

Guavanaut posted:

15 minutes in, the lamp in the projector fizzles out with a faint blue pop. A small wisp of smoke drifts from out of the vent in the side. The lights in the building flicker briefly. She remains standing in silence.

CPC18 Directed by David Lynch.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I regret voting for these morons once ( i think )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

I've just realised the post-brexit collapse of the pound means I'm not going to afford to keep up my New Japan World subscription so I'm going to go full #FBPE now.
And just think what it'll do to any poster's inflation-tracking student loan debt

• Locked thread