Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Junpei Hyde posted:

Should I stock anime for the apocalypse

If you want to be mistaken for a Tory, sure.

E: 3 - the number of pounds to the Euro this time next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Chucat posted:

Also this Raab speech is uhhhh, it's something.

"People say bad things will happen in No Deal, but they won't happen because they'd be bad and no one would let them happen."

Bad things happening would make it a bad deal, which it can't be, because it's no deal

We have been very clear that no deal is better than a bad deal

In no deal, no bad things will happen. Only no things. That's why it's called no deal.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I caught a minute of Hammond talking to the conference and boy he's an uninteresting speaker.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Las agnae. It's mixed Latin for 'the lambs', which it is made of.

Wow - yes - I can see that now!
Agnus Dei and all that.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I caught a minute of Hammond talking to the conference and boy he's an uninteresting speaker.

BBC news is on in our lunch room today, and I've found the "they're all the same" of the office. Coupled with "it's hard to disagree that the Tories just come across as more professional politicians"

Staked my (red) flag clearly in pointing out the bungling of Brexit alone.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Rakosi posted:

I regret voting for these morons once ( i think )
post/red text

e: ^^^ "it's hard to disagree that the Tories are photoshopped to look like Oscar the Grouch on the cover of broadly circulated newspapers considerably less often"

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 1, 2018

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wow - yes - I can see that now!
Agnus Dei and all that.
I don't think it is actually that, it comes from Latin for a piece of cookware or something. But it works as a folk etymology.

(I'm prepared to :aaaaa: if the cookware turns out to have been named after lambs.)

I prefer the Catalan spelling lasanya.

mehall posted:

"it's hard to disagree that the Tories just come across as more professional politicians"
How can people continue to believe this in 2018?

I could see why someone might believe it in 2010, Brown stumbling around pissing off his own advisors and all that, compared to oleaginous Cameron hugging huskies and hoodies and dead pigs and coming across as what we've been led to believe a professional politician might look like (i.e. a poo poo). But in 2018 when they leak everyone's details with the conference app and are reduced to wandering around shouting 'Brexit means Brexit'?

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 1, 2018

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

They able to put on a suit and therefore are professionals UNLIKE CORBYN WITH HIS MAOIST TRACKSUIT AND BEARD

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He should get a dehumidifier.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think it is actually that, it comes from Latin for a piece of cookware or something. But it works as a folk etymology.

(I'm prepared to :aaaaa: if the cookware turns out to have been named after lambs.)

I could see why someone might believe it in 2010, Brown stumbling around pissing off his own advisors and all that, compared to oleaginous Cameron hugging huskies and hoodies and dead pigs and coming across as what we've been led to believe a professional politician might look like (i.e. a poo poo). But in 2018 when they leak everyone's details with the conference app and are reduced to wandering around shouting 'Brexit means Brexit'?

They don't sound as common op

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

I could see why someone might believe it in 2010, Brown stumbling around pissing off his own advisors and all that, compared to oleaginous Cameron hugging huskies and hoodies and dead pigs and coming across as what we've been led to believe a professional politician might look like (i.e. a poo poo). But in 2018 when they leak everyone's detains with the conference app and are reduced to wandering around shouting 'Brexit means Brexit'?

Political apathy, and/or ignorance. Unless the outrage is large enough to poke into their world view.

Also, tie & suit = "Presentable", not like that scruffy Corbyn. I mean, the suits may be made out of human skin, and the ties dyed with blood, but still, scruffy Marxist Grandad bribing the uncouth youths.
---
[e]: Wow, this Hammond speech is garbage.

quote:

I have set out my argument for the renewal of our economic creed to secure for Britain the benefit of the market economy for the years to come, to ensure it can respond to the concerns and meet the aspirations of the next generation.

Because Corbyn’s plan offers no future for Britain, and it is our duty to provide a better answer – to make the case for the long term over the short term. For the substantial over the superficial. For evolution over revolution.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 1, 2018

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There is nothing wrong with your political system. Do not attempt to adjust the parties. We are controlling immigration. If we wish to make you poorer, we will bring down your benefits. If we wish to make you richer, you must already be a landlord. We will control the narrative. We will control the media. We can roll the economy, make it flutter. We can change the focus groups to a soft blair or sharpen them to crystal thatcherism. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your political system. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the absent mind to – The Hammond Limits.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
:golfclap:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

VideoGames posted:

I do not wish to sound too cynical or conspiratorial, but this morning ITV was quite happily talking about a program they will be broadcasting tonight about the Birmingham bombers from the 70s and how they are going to name and shame some new suspects for the first time since the Birmingham 6 were released.

My first thoughts were 'are they doing this because of how unworkable the NI border is in regards to Brexit and is this an attempt to start dividing people again?'

Like I said, it is a massively conspiratorial thought but with how poorly May answered Marr's question and the fact that it is still causing headaches for them so close to November I wondered if they were going about it another way.

No they'll probably just name Corbyn as one of the new suspects.

Rustybear posted:

Anyone paying attention is already prepping; not hording ammo and tins because that’s pointless theatrical poo poo with no actual functional purpose.

Show of hands how many people would buy a plane ticket that departs or arrives on B Day right now? How many people are delaying mortgages, weddings, visas, higher education courses or any other major expenditure? How many people are staying in a job where otherwise they wouldn’t? People are prepping like mad right now in all the ways that actually matter.

I'm prepping to move to Canada if that counts.

chird posted:

This new thread seems like an ideal time to attempt to become re-acquainted with what's going on in the motherland. When I left the UK, Gordon Brown was still prime minister.

Presumably little has changed, everyone just going shopping at HMV, getting their film developed at Jessops, renting a DVD from Blockbuster and tucking into tasty Findus lasagna while laughing at some idiot white-haired toff on Have I Got News For You.

Jessops still exists - they got bought out or rescued or whatever. HMV still going too I think (but struggling).

feedmegin posted:

Also, I am making lasagne rn. Not made out of horse (probably).

I made veggie lasagne at the weekend, not sure I've ever actually done it before. Sort of eyeballed the quantities and made up the specific recipe from checking a few different ones for reference... and it was loving amazing. Still got one frozen for later too. White sauce with cheddar in, with just a touch of dried ancho chilli to give it a subtle smokiness, AND torn fresh mozzarella on the white sauce layers - freaking awesome. Don't care if it's strictly "traditional" or not. Did have to run to the shops to get fresh egg lasagna sheets after our dried stuff all stuck together in the pan but it was a fairly minor disaster as they go.

Rarity posted:

I made my first lasagne last night and it turned out pretty well, I was right chuffed.

Hell yeah it's lasagne week!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Raab just said "if the EU want a deal they need to get serious" and I'm screaming at my TV that when one party has all the leverage in a negotiation they don't need to make the big compromises.

Bring this government down by any means necessary.

"In 1938 Nazi Germany was invaded....errrr invaded Czechoslovakia" is some zinger from Dominic Raab.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 1, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

There is nothing wrong with your political system. Do not attempt to adjust the parties. We are controlling immigration. If we wish to make you poorer, we will bring down your benefits. If we wish to make you richer, you must already be a landlord. We will control the narrative. We will control the media. We can roll the economy, make it flutter. We can change the focus groups to a soft blair or sharpen them to crystal thatcherism. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your political system. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the absent mind to – The Hammond Limits.

Bueno :golfclap:

I was trying to think of something clever with "Five Cabinet Members in Seach of a Brexit", but then realised it's from the Twilight Zone instead :negative:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Liz Truss floundering on World at One.

"What's the Tory solution to all these problems in society?"

"Invest in infrastructure, and invest in skills for the future."

So what Labour says. Glad we could clear that up.

I have noticed that Labour's media team are killing it recently. Replies to most Tory conference speeches are coming out on twitter practically as soon as they're finished speaking.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

forkboy84 posted:

Raab just said "if the EU want a deal they need to get serious" and I'm screaming at my TV that when one party has all the leverage in a negotiation they don't need to make the big compromises.

I think being in coalition with the libdems (ie having a negotiating partner tripping over themselves to offer compromises before even getting to the table) broke their ability to comprehend what real negotions are actually like.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Guavanaut posted:

It never fails to amaze me that young Tories (or really any Tories younger than the 110 year old lich kings they keep in their private members' clubs) think that the RoI rejoining the UK is a solution to the border or to Brexit or something that would ever happen. SF would take their seats, their arms, and their gifted rubber ducks before that happened.

So here's three things more likely to happen than the RoI rejoining the UK.

Kropotkin was better.

This is less about solving Brexit and more about restoring the British Empire, much like, uh, Brexit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I mean I'm down with going back to pre-1962 and full four freedoms with the West Indies, but I don't think many Tories would be.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

lasa:nyan:

So I guess we've fully shifted into the "heh, we never even really wanted a deal" stage huh. If we're feeling generous and the EU tidies its room maybe we'll think about it, purely as a favour to them you understand. In fact we never said anything about negotiating a deal at all!!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

So here's three things more likely to happen than the RoI rejoining the UK.

DSUCP has a cool flag but where's St. Piran's Cross?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Welsh dragon ate it, died. That's also why neither are on the current Union Flag.

lasag:nyoron:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1046720211376836608

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, lately I haven't paid as much attention to the UK's impending Gotterdammerung on account of my own country slowly sliding into oblivion, but I hear the deadline is looming and I'm curious if anyone has a link to a good article or video that summarizes the current state of Brexit.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

How wrong? Are you a la-zag-na person???

lazonya

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Skippy McPants posted:

Hi, lately I haven't paid as much attention to the UK's impending Gotterdammerung on account of my own country slowly sliding into oblivion, but I hear the deadline is looming and I'm curious if anyone has a link to a good article or video that summarizes the current state of Brexit.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Hammond is giving it the "austerity forever because Brits are plucky" try.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/01/philip-hammond-vows-to-stick-with-austerity-in-conference-speech-amazon-google

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The "things fall apart" theme is very tech this year, the Tories really are modernising

lasan:bisonyes:

It's cool that the british version of USA! USA! USA! is "we'll eat poo poo and like it"

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 1, 2018

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lasanbisonyes?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

it's going down great:

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1046734174953066496

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1046728468774432769

https://twitter.com/IsabelHardman/status/1046726609338859522

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Keep an eye on the NME, because Shaun Bailey's Killer Buses will be a band within the week.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Raab telling the Tory conf that the eu must get serious about Brexit is so unbelievably :ironicat:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

Raab telling the Tory conf that the eu must get serious about Brexit is so unbelievably :ironicat:

I got so loving mad. These cunts are in a fantasy world while not having the decency to at least depart the real world first.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Skippy McPants posted:

Think about what the brexit situation was like when you last checked in.

Its still that but with a fraction of the time left to deal with it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/clickbaitrobot/status/1046754880612966401

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The only things it got wrong are that there's no beard and that's not gravy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Heh heh... and now I'm going to fire my brexit gravy up your backside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Not Operator posted:

Think about what the brexit situation was like when you last checked in.

Its still that but with a fraction of the time left to deal with it.

As our prime minister so proudly proclaimed...

Nothing Has Changed

• Locked thread