Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

NINTENGOONS DISCORD SERVER
https://discord.gg/nnH4wXF

Great place for questions and stuff

Released March 3rd, 2017, Nintendo Switch is the latest console from your friends at the house of Mario. This thread is intended primarily for discussion on the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch news, however, large corporate news about Nintendo in general is welcome here. New and information about 3DS and mobile games should primarily go in other Nintendo threads. Fan created memes that aren't directly from a game should go directly into PYF or something.

What is a Switch?
Nintendo Switch is a hybrid console, a tablet running on an NVidia processor, which can be played as a handheld or placed in a dock hooked to your TV or monitor. When hooked to a dock, the Switch runs in a higher power mode due to not being concerned with battery life.

What is this crazy controller?
Nintendo Switch has a few controller options. Number one, included with the system, are the Joycon(Joycon is singular and plural). Taken together they act as one controller, or they can be used seperately as two controllers for simpler games.

Each controller has "HD rumble" (uses a linear actuator, similar to a speaker, rather than a simple rotating motor, to generate more subtle vibration) and gyro motion control. The right contoller has an IR camera and an NFC reader. + and - are your start and select equivalents. There is a screenshot button on the left joycon and a home button on the right. The rails allow you to slide each controller onto the Switch itself or into a Joycon Strap, which makes each controller's sR and sL button easier to access. Additional pair of Joycon cost $80 but can be found for less. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Switch-Joy-Con-Pair-L-R-Neon-Red-and-Neon-Blue-45496590130/55449978

The Pro controller has all of these features as well, except for the IR camera. It retails at $70 but can often be found on sale. It has an extremely long battery life.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller-Black-HACAFSSKA-00045496590161/55485228

Details

-Nintendo Switch costs $300
-Comes with a USB Type-C charger, HDMI cable, left and right Joycon, Joycon grip, two Joycon straps, and Switch dock. Battery off dock runs from 3 hours(low end, graphics intensive game) to 7 or 8 hours(2d game like Shovel Knight) depending on wifi and brightness settings. Joycon batteries last about 20 hours, and charge by being attached to the Switch, or another (not included) charger. The Pro controller lasts about 50 hours and can plug into any USB port.
-Up to 8 Switches can connect to each other for multi-player, either wirelessly or by LAN(LAN adapter required)
-A paid on-line subscription service launched in September 2018. $20, detailed below
-NO REGION LOCKING. You can create an account for other region eShops and play games you buy there with whichever account on your system you want. Adding currency to your account may be tricky.
-Has a capacitive touch screen, meaning it registers more than one touch
-Uses micro SD cards; Switch has only 32GB on-board memory, so if you plan on downloading many titles, you'll need one.
-Nintendo Switch uses cartridges
-Switch is more powerful than the WiiU, but won't really measure up strength-wise to other consoles. It can run ports of modern games like Doom and Wolfenstein 2 decently enough
- You can log into any Nintendo Switch with your account and play your own digital titles, but if you are not on your primary Nintendo Switch you must be online to do so. The game will kick you out after 3 hours of not being online. On your primary Nintendo switch, there are no online checks for any of your games.

Nintendo Switch Online
-$20 for a year membership for one, $35 for a family plan for up to 8. You can add whoever you want to a family plan. As admin you can see whatever they buy, however.
- Includes online play(free to play games like Fortnite do not require)
- Includes voice chat service on a companion app. While the companion app is no ideal, it actually works quite well. Most people would prefer a system based solution, but the app actually works quite well, give it a shot
- Includes NES Online, an ever expanding library of NES games, available regardless of when you subscribed. So far this includes 20 games, with 3 being added each month. These have Nintendo's best NES emulation so far, as well as online multiplayer. For single player games you can control a hand and point out places of interest or applaud your friend
- Includes Cloud Saves. Cloud Saves are kept for at least 6 months after subscription lapses so you can re-up. Some games like Splatoon 2 or Pokemon Let's Go are incompatible. Hopefully because they were not designed with that in mind. The official reason is Nintendo worries about savescummming and item duping. Cloud Saves are unlimited
- Special offers, this is nebulous so far. Special offers to date include exclusive Splatoon 2 gear and the ability to buy special NES controller joycons.

Games
Below post

Accessories

There's a lot of great Nintendo Switch accessories you will be interested in. Here are some popular ones
Hori Compact Playstand - Great portale stand that leaves room to run your chargin cable
Hard Case for system and Dock - Easily carry system and dock
AmFilm Glass Screen Protector Nintendo Switch Screen is plastic and could be prone to scratches, never hurts to get a protector
Anker Power Bank - This is an officially licensed power bank by Anker for Nintendo Switch, the only one officially licensed by Nintendo as far as I know
200 gb MicroSDXC SanDisk - If you want to go digital you'll need a big SD card. 200gb is the best value usually
8bitdo SN30 Pro - a great Pro controller alternative a lot of people love, compatible with just about anything, works on Switch with no adapter needed
8bitdo Magic Adapter - Got more controllers? This lets you use basically anything. Wiimote. PS4 controller, Xbone controller, this adapter makes all of them work with the Switch.
Orzly Carrying case - When you just want to carry the Switch and some games and small accessories, and don't need the dock
Joycon Comfort Grips - 2 pack of grips that make it much more comfortable to play games using a single joycon. Great for multiplayer games where you will be passing around single Joycon controllers
USB Ethernet adapter - The switch dock doesn't have an Ethernet outlet, so if you prefer a wired connection you'll need one of these. If something says it is compatible with Wii/WiiU it should be compatible with Switch
On the Go cable - Want to use 8Bitdo NSMagic, or an Ethernet adapter, or a wired controller, or GameCube adapter, or USB headphones, but you aren't docked? You need an on the go cable, a usb-c to A/B converter. Then you can plug whatever accessory in even when you aren't docked.

Special Editions
Holiday Bundles to add later

Recommended Social Media Follows
GameXplain GameXplain covers all Nintendo news. If there is any new trailer, news, or credible rumors, they will quickly have a video up on it, as well as comprehensive analysis, previews, and reviews. Yes the one guy has a voice that's a little hard to understand sometimes. He had partial hearing loss, cut him some slack
Nintendo World Report more Nintendo news and reviews, their guys tend to be older, more jaded, and more rambling. The main reason I link them is they do more reviews.
Nintendo Voice Chat Weekly IGN podcast on Nintendo, a fairly good news round up with quick review summaries, eShop summary for the week, and interviews
Cornshaq This guy's main gimmick is he reviews about five games a week. These are mostly PS4 versions of games, and usually the cheapo indie games you would never think of playing. But most of these games also have Switch versions, and no one else reviews them, so if you have a spare $5 and are wondering if that game from someone you never heard of but looks kind of interesting is worth your time, his reviews are quite nice.
Wario64 Any time any game goes on sale, or something that's limited in quantity goes up on Amazon, this guy is on it. Keep him in your Twitter feed and you'll see all the latest sales and deals.
Mat Piscatella expert on NPD can tell you exactly how things are selling and has great analysis, knows which way the industry is moving
Supper Mario Broth funny Mario trivia
Zhuge Like Mat Piscatella except for the southeast Asian market. Knows a ton about emerging markets and mobile games
David Gibson Expert on Japan gaming market, often covers Nintendo investors meetings live
Dr Serkan Toto Another expert analyst in the Japanese gaming market, well worth a follow
Nintendo A small hanafuda company. Invented the ultra hand toy for grabbing things from a distance

Latest Nintendo Power Podcast:
Fall Games Guide

OP v1. 5

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 4, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Almost Every Nicalis game is on maybe sale right now.
Cave Story
Isaac
The End is Nigh
VVVVVVVV

etc all 40-60% off. Tonight is the last night

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Amazon is not a good place to order video game stuff. You will never get it day of release.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Added to the OP, a recommended social media follows section

Recommended Social Media Follows
GameXplain GameXplain covers all Nintendo news. If there is any new trailer, news, or credible rumors, they will quickly have a video up on it, as well as comprehensive analysis, previews, and reviews. Yes the one guy has a voice that's a little hard to understand sometimes. He had partial hearing loss, cut him some slack
Nintendo World Report more Nintendo news and reviews, their guys tend to be older, more jaded, and more rambling. The main reason I link them is they do more reviews.
Nintendo Voice Chat Weekly IGN podcast on Nintendo, a fairly good news round up with quick review summaries, eShop summary for the week, and interviews
Cornshaq This guy's main gimmick is he reviews about five games a week. These are mostly PS4 versions of games, and usually the cheapo indie games you would never think of playing. But most of these games also have Switch versions, and no one else reviews them, so if you have a spare $5 and are wondering if that game from someone you never heard of but looks kind of interesting is worth your time, his reviews are quite nice.
Wario64 Any time any game goes on sale, or something that's limited in quantity goes up on Amazon, this guy is on it. Keep him in your Twitter feed and you'll see all the latest sales and deals.
Mat Piscatella expert on NPD can tell you exactly how things are selling and has great analysis, knows which way the industry is moving
Supper Mario Broth funny Mario trivia
Zhuge Like Mat Piscatella except for the southeast Asian market. Knows a ton about emerging markets and mobile games
David Gibson Expert on Japan gaming market, often covers Nintendo investors meetings live
Dr Serkan Toto Another expert analyst in the Japanese gaming market, well worth a follow
Nintendo A small hanafuda company. Invented the ultra hand toy for grabbing things from a distance

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 2, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Added Ethernet adapter and OTG cable to OP accessories list

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you don't care about translation, you can buy it from the Japanese eShop.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is he a person of some infamy? I only discovered him a short while ago because he has a ton of longplays where he never swears and my kid likes to watch let's plays. He seems to only do reviews now

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was actually planning on closing it to create a new OP since E3, yesterday is just when I finally got around to doing it. First day of the month seemed an opportune time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You're like the second person in the thread to report winning that.

Make sure it isn't a phish

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Original post updated

Version 1.4 patch notes

General post stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:
• OP now includes version number

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mister Facetious posted:

Please make sure to add the Supper Mario Broth Twitter feed; a.k.a., the only good Tweeter in existence.

Please make sure to read the very post you quoted and see I already did that!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1047149526195171328?s=19

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Original post updated

Version 1.5 patch notes

General post stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:
• Added Latest Nintendo Power Podcast:
Fall Games Guide

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok but because I did my patch notes wrong I have to add it to a more substantial update later or I'll force myself into 2.0

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Now that I am more actively running the thread and keeping things up to date, as a social media influencer which jagoff do I gotta talk to for some review copies?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

American McGay posted:

This post inspired me to check on the IGN Dead Cells guy and he's apparently still in radio silence mode which I'm not sure if I find that more amusing or less.

Not a true story, but I like to imagine shortly after being fired from ign he got hired by Telltale games

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TaurusOxford posted:

Dr. Wily is the main villain and he's made eight robot masters that you have to fight.

Haha, look at this guy who hasn't played Mega Man 6. I'm almost to the final boss but you find out at the beginning of the game that Dr Wily was only a pawn the whole time, working for the mysterious Mr. X.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bombadilillo posted:

Which one has you finially murder dr. Wiley to death. Cause that happens.

Mega Man kills Wily in 7. I beat it a while ago, he says now he's gonna do what he should have done a long time ago and he charges his buster. My power went out then but I assume Dr Wily is killed. I assume Mega Man 8 is about Mr X again

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Played through bounce man and fuse man so far (and lost all my lives before getting to Ice Frost Cube Tundra Man). Lots of fun so far! That last bouncy room with the E-tank was kind of a dick!

It's against all my instincts to actually use the gear system but they are fun to use and really useful.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1047290182204940288?s=19

They said when this months games come, 10/10

All three of these are bangers by the way. Super Dodge Ball is one one of the best multiplayer games on the NES, Solomon's Key is an amazing puzzle platformer, NES Open still holds up as a good golf game.

My friend code: SW-4892-2241-7132
Add me jerks! Current profile name is Al Borland.

I didn't say it in the OP but feel free to add your friend code to any post.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you play the second easy mode you start with a bunch and they're cheap enough you can max out to 9 whenever you want.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only things being added to Nintendo Entertainment System Online

Super Mario Party's online mode is going up, a new patch is coming for Splatoon 2, and there may or may not be special offers that go up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you are going physical with Smash Bros instead of digital, and like posters:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1047351629844869120?s=19

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Takoluka posted:

Is the other side just a picture of Final Destination?

The other side is a Bayonetta/Captain Falcon doujin

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there a referral string I can add to Amazon links here, for lowtax or something awful? If you buy accessories by clicking a link in the OP, I would like that to support the site.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Junkie Disease posted:

So how's Mario's party?

It's not out yet. Reviews might come out today

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

GameXplain doesn't use numerical reviews.

Their rating system

Blown Away
Loved It
Liked it a lot
Liked it
Liked it somewhat
It was pretty good but not for me
The only way to really know if it's good is to buy it yourself
What the gently caress is Disney thinking they changed the tower of terror to a guardians of the Galaxy ride, I'm never going to Disney world again

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RandomFerret posted:

Wait did they actually do that

Andre may be a bigger Disney fanboy than Nintendo and oh boy he's got opinions

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't steal games and don't mod your switch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Real cheap carrying case

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1047474677201788928?s=19

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stan Taylor posted:

The joycons loving suck dick. My friend brought his switch over last weekend so we could play overcooked 2 and we kept losing connection and having to repair controllers and poo poo at least once a level. I don't know if the controls are supposed to feel lovely and floaty in that game but it was seriously awful. I mostly use my pro controller so I forgot how trash those things are. Definitely not getting Mario Party if I have to rely on that lovely connection and tiny rear end controller.

This is likely an issue with your hand having become magnetized. Drink some reverse ionized water (not a lot! Like half a cup max!) and then run a knife over your hand about 30 times (not a sharp one obviously, a butter knife, or any long piece of metal, don't cut yourself). Then open up Donkey Kobg, get the high scores, enter your names as "IM" "SORRY" "MARIO" and they should start working like normal

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stan Taylor posted:

It was that COMMON ISSUE where I think the right one would be extremely lovely. They had a streamlined process for it. I love my precious Nintendos.

It was the left one.

In reality probably both, but the left one was more noticable because all movement in all games is done on it. If your right I've disconnected for a split second you night but have even been pressing a button at the time

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looper posted:

if something isn't for sale, who are you stealing from

me, I'm backing up the snes games I've owned for decades

Any snes game you post about playing, you must post proof of ownership with a piece of paper with SA and today's date visible on it in the photo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You have to extract the rom from the original cartridge onto your computer, then destroy the cartridge

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah if you destroy your copy of Xenoblade 2 it just reverts back to its core crystal. It will resonate again with whoever touches it after a recharge, if they have the ability to resonate.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Feenix posted:

I really like Mega Man but gently caress that game it's such a rage-inducing piece of poo poo, even on Casual. gently caress it. I am over it. I don't need to feel bad because I can't navigate rear end in a top hat falling blocks and conveyor belts and annoying floating yellow things.

Signed: Someone who is obviously too old for games like that, I guess

Did you try using the speed gear, or rush coil?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

night slime posted:

What the gently caress is with them bringing back the stupid account tied to a system poo poo if they're going to make a new Switch version? Jesus christ.

That's incorrect. Accounts are fully portable. You can log your account into multiple switches and play your games on any of them. On your primary switch there are no restrictions. On any secondary switch you just be online and logged in to play your games.

There is now a website where you can deactivate your account from your primary switch without even having it in your possession without having to call anyone (you can only do this once a year) in case it's lost or stolen.

Or you can untie your account from your switch from it's system menu whenever you want if you're about to buy a new one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe they'll support Bluetooth audio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One things for sure, if you don't buy the new version, and if you aren't excited for it as soon as it's announced, Reggie will come to your house and he will take your children, and they will be raised by Nintendo. You'll never see them again, except maybe in the playtesters credits of New Super Chibi Robo Zip Lash