Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Hey you know what would be great on the Switch? Zelda BoTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Ok, Skyrim has been full price 99.9% of it's time on Switch and that needs to end, it's literally criminal. people need to be jailed

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Ravendas posted:

I don't have a Switch yet, but I've been thinking of getting one for my soon to be 4yo that likes to watch me play games. Should I just pick up some bundle from Costco, or should I wait and hold out for some new yet-to-be-announced bundle or new version coming up?

There are a lot of games a 4 year old would love. Captain Toad, Okami, Pokemon Quest, Mario, Fortnite

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Remember the time we suggested they needed to update the system hardware faster than Xbox and PS4 revisions and everyone started throwing insults? Pepperidge farm remembers. I’m really glad Nintendo is doing this because too many publishers and titles are passing on the system and will pass on the system.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is gonna be a DS Lite style revision, not a PS4 Pro style revision

How do you know? It’s possible but it may also be a substantial increase in power, or at least improved WiFi, Bluetooth, battery, screen which is also fine.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The switch is a different animal than the 3ds. People aren’t clambering to play a grainy rear end game on a slightly larger screen. People want a Netflix machine that can conceivably play third party aaa titles with various effects unremoved and they want 4-5 hours battery.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

For the life of me I can't figure out who these people are who don't have a way to watch Netflix

I’m with you, it’s not important to me but people won’t shut up about it. When I see old games as best sellers it makes sense that people just want poo poo everywhere.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Fixing this post

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 4, 2018

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

So you don't know how anything at all works, huh?

None of us knows how this will work but considering even a minor refresh was seen as “stupid and unlikely” I’m feeling pretty smart right about now. And knowing Nintendo I wouldn’t expect a cheaper version of an updated model but it could happen.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Who thought this thing wasn't going to start getting hardware revisions a after a couple of years on the market like literally every other Nintendo handheld?

Have you been reading the thread?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah. Have you been taking your meds?

Why do you feel this is an appropriate post when we’re having a stupid and casual discussion of Nintendo products?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Switch is basically just three N64s duck taped together so I would wait for the revision where they screw a GameCube onto the bottom.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

RCarr posted:

Yo why are there no posts saying how much people are enjoying Mario Party. What the gently caress.

Amazon hosed up their inventory and a lot of people have delayed shipments now

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

John Lee posted:

Amazon always gave me my games on launch day, except for Octopath Traveler, which they gave me a free copy of two days after launch day to make up for the lateness.

Same, ordered maybe 12 hard copies and this is my first late title

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Is new Mario Party worth getting? I'd need to get another pair of joycons also but have a bunch of friends that enjoy more casual games.

If you don’t have people who want to play then don’t get it. Don’t get it if you need to spend more money either. Lots of good games coming on the Switch, PC and elsewhere (or recently came out) that are a better choice. For 60 dollars it’s priced too high in my opinion, a good deal would be 40-50 which you’ll be able to get within a month or two.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 6, 2018

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Fancy Hat! posted:

It's kind of like No Man's Skylanders, except you don't leave your ship and there's more poo poo to do. Also there's an actual story,

Isnt that a guess. That there more to do?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Where the gently caress is The Missing?

The e store? It's 30 bucks

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Did Nintendo make changes to the Joy Cons since the system launched?

I just got my new ones for Mario Party, my two observations about them so far.

1) When you reorder the joycons, they pair instantly when hitting the ZL/ZR buttons. My original Joycons always had a notable delay
2) The Joy-Con Straps actually easily slide into each other and lock/unlock easily. My original joycons always had a problem where it was hard as hell to unlatch.

The original joycons and the original pro controller have worse build quality and it isn't even close. Even the plastic is somehow stronger/firmer. The downside of buying in early is getting lower quality poo poo unfortunately.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Shame Boner posted:

There’s not actually anything wrong with it; but it “rocks” a little so people mashing it with uncoordinated thumbs might for example rock it up while pressing mostly left.

The older the pro controller, the more violently incorrect the inputs are. First and second generation controllers are an abomination, where as many as 50% of inputs can be wrong. Newer controllers that I have tested work much better so people think everything is fine. Honestly, the quality control of first year controllers on the Switch was quite bad.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I was interested by Yomawari, looks good and has good reviews, but it’s 5 bucks on steam and 40 on Switch. In case you’re on the fence you can get it very cheap.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Is there a physical game trade thread or something like that for Switch games at SA? Or is it jumbled into the SA Mart forums somewhere

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Whenever I play jack box party pack games I feel like I am drawing ‘vanilla’ cards from Cards Against Humanity. I want my bigger blacker cock ok?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The best part of pokemon let's go is that you can just watch someone stream it for a few hours, get the same enjoyment and save money.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Circle Nine posted:

I for the life of me cannot find a control method I like in Splatoon 2 which is making it really unfun and frustrating when I keep getting slatted by people who are loads better than me in whatever the main online mode is called. Does anyone have any tips or am I just going to keep bouncing off this until either I give up or it just clicks?

Watch streamers and see how they move across the map and how they use their weapons, thats your best bet (i.e. you can kind of see what sensitivity the best players generally use to accompany their playstyle).

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 21, 2018

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I think Helzberg has a deal right now where if you spend 1,200 or more you get a free Switch, as well. I mean if you're getting married you might as well treat yo-self.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Supposedly, Skyward Sword is coming to Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp6syoTXvwY

Of course it is. Whenever they have a downtime of lovely to no games they’ll release old Zelda and poo poo for 20-25 bucks

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Nintendo themselves seem to be planning a new model and probably a price cut for the existing one next year as well, so they likely also see the same need.

Yea they need a refreshed model of the pro controller and an updated Switch with at the very least more battery, a more energy efficient processor/system, better WIFI and a slightly larger screen/smaller bezel. This much is clear and Nintendo knows it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Yea sorry chums but the combat system in XB2 is like a math assignment that once solved is just a mundane chore repeated over and over ad nauseum, except this time with a 10 million HP crab, and this time with a 20 million HP dinosaur, and this time with a boss you beat but in the following cutscene actually beats you. I think my overall feelings of XB2 is I tried so hard to like the game but it tried so hard to get me to not like it.

I liked the music a lot, I liked the environments and that they tried to make the world feel lived in. The maps and directions were abysmal. The systems were completely overdone and I imagine most players ignored most systems or just somewhat randomly made choices. Quests were often strange and more likely tedious. Gatcha mechanics were absurd and lame but I managed to luck out and get the guys I needed quickly. 40 hours in and I felt like the game designers were trying to get me to quit.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 4, 2018

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

jokes posted:

The Switch is great. It's a great travel companion (if only Netflix would pop in already ugh), it has Pokémon and Diablo and Mario and Zelda! I'm real happy with my Switch!

I severely regret my PS4 though. Those load times are atrocious, especially when you just sit there for 2 minutes waiting for a black screen. PC and Switch master combo.

Yea they did a community vote and people didn't want Netflix or Amazon streaming, so maybe next console system

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So the new Kingdom New Lands game comes out on the 11th. I love that game and hope the Samurai theme is good.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Elderbean posted:

Steam has Pro Controller support so you can use that comfy motherfucker even when you're playing PC games.

Yea it’s great until you realize you’re better off just using a dual shock or Xbox controller for most games, but it’s neat.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Pirate Captain posted:

It's mostly indies, yeah, stuff that's been on other systems but is better on Switch cause it's portable.

Portability is one of the worst features of the switch

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Explain how

I’m just messing about, it owns

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It’s weak but that’s not entirely Nintendo’s fault. Sales futures were uncertain and there wasn’t a better chip available. The QC issues and lack of certain features on their controllers (and inclusion of unneeded elements) is their fault and worth being irritated about.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Harlock posted:

Anime likers are people too

Let's not go crazy

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

What's crazy is that $100 US in 1993 is $175 now.

With game development costs skyrocketing it's astounding that taking into account inflation, the standard $60 for a new release means games keep getting cheaper to buy. Though I guess that's why companies deem it a failure when a game "only" sells millions of copies

I think one thing people keep forgetting is increased competition. People buy more games, movies etc. and their budgets are competed for differently than in the past. Games aren't worth 60 in 1993 dollars because there was maybe a handful of worthwhile games to get a year back in the day and fewer media outlets requiring fees or subscriptions. If the competition were this intense for people's media dollars back in 1993, games would have probably been 40 or so dollars instead at the high end.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

notthegoatseguy posted:

So this Taiwanese soap opera shows the Switch as supporting Internet browsing and voice chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2JERN7mXgc&t=459s

But it got me thinking: Is a plastic case like shown in this video worth it? Do any of you use a plastic case for the Switch? Or would that make it difficult/impossible to put in the dock? Any concerns about causing it to overheat due to the plastic covering + dock or would the Switch be fine?

I got a gimmicky but highly rated back case that was rubberized and allegedly made it easier to hold. Honestly, i think those products are all terrible. It's a relatively inexpensive device, so wrapping it in plastic or other casing just makes it imbalanced and "heavy" feeling, and hardly protects it at all. I don't know of any case that can be docked in the official dock either but even if they could I wouldn't do it, because it's not designed for it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

I still dont get it. The regular dock is the size of the screen. The screen doesnt do anything when docked...

This goes back farther making an overall larger footprint. Cables sticking out of the side going to be ugly too.

And for people with kids and pets, knocking it hard backward or forwards for that matter is a scary thought. These designs seem like they are meant to trick people into buying a "modern appearing" dock that is small, but it's just a gimmick that creates new problems and ugliness.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I said come in! posted:

This is a super bad take that would make zero sense for either company. I know its been rumored for years now that Apple has been wanting to get into the gaming industry, but it's pretty clear at this point that those rumors are never going to pan out. Apple does not care about gaming.

It's not a bad take at all. The two companies share so many common beliefs and attitudes it's ridiculous. You'd be taking two walled gardens and sticking them together and Apple has shown a considerable interest in shoring up profit losses on the hardware side with services and software products. What's crazy to me is the repulsion people feel toward this, as if the same critiques of Apple don't nearly exactly apply to Nintendo. Really the only thing keeping the deal from going down is the cultural elements related to Nintendo.

The idea of having a Nintendo gaming system with a modern screen, high end WiFi chip and A13 chip is sexy as gently caress, I have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

If a company had to buy Nintendo, I’d chose Apple but it would be a bit depressing if anyone bought them. Some things like internet structures would be better but I think the games would suffer without their weird rear end corporate culture.

I always thought it would be cool to have a partnership rather than buying them out. Nintendo doesn't do great hardware, and Apple can produce a lot of equipment at cost. Nintendo needs it's identity to produce what it has always produced. There could be something they can work out together.