Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

:siren::spooky: Boooooo! Listen up, SA ghouls! Another year, another LP contest! :spooky::siren:

It's Halloween, this is Let's Possess, and we hunger for Spooky Content.

What's spooky, to you? What does it mean, to you, and to video games? Is it an aesthetic to embody - skeletons, pumpkins and ghosts, reckless overuse of orange decor, wacky costumes, incredible puns, and a days-long sugar headache? Is it a visceral sensation - real fear, horror, that deep unsettledness that stays with you long after the credits roll? Or is there a deeper meaning; to give form to the unknowable and unnameable, to grapple with death and the dead, and thereby with life?

This is an open question! We want you to show us, in the only way we know. The one way, the true way, the Let's Play Let's Possess way!

Here's how to enter the Spooky October Contest:

1. Go and record the spooookiest chapter, stage, environment or entire video game (within reason) you know!
  2. Prepare a case for this, and no other, being the spoooookiest chapter, stage, environment or entire video game ever!
  3. Edit it together as a VLP, or write it up as an SSLP - whichever format you think is best suited!
  4. Post it here! (Please use the SSLP Test Poster for SSLP submissions)

And that's all!

As with previous LP contests, there will be two winners: one selected by popular vote, and one selected by the LP Moderation team (and we will not choose the same entry that won the popular vote).

The prize will be the winner's choice of a Platinum Upgrade, Archives Upgrade, or New Avatar.

Also! Because this is Let's Possess, there will also be a special MVP-style award for the entry with the best ghost/spirit/poltergeist/etc.! The Ghost Valuable Person will win a New Avatar.

There are no restrictions regarding LP styles. It can be funny, informative, narrative--whatever. You decide. If your chosen game takes place entirely in a spooky environ (e.g., Silent Hill, Resident Evil, etc.), please choose the best parts to show off rather than LPing the entire game. While we don't want to give a time limit for entries, do try and avoid submitting entire Let's Plays.

The contest will run up to All Hallows' Eve at Midnight! Good luck, and have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Aw, man, this thread sure looks spooky abandoned!! Well, the contest is still on for all you ghosts and ghouls who might be interested in participating.

But I've also been thinking... we've changed the subforum name and the sticky thread titles all in the spirit of the season. It feels like something is missing though, like every other thread in the forum just doesn't have a spooky enough title.

SO!

If you would like a Spooktober/Halloween-themed title change for the month then post your request in this thread!

I do ask a couple of things, though:

1) Link your thread (don't make me look for it, please)
2) Post the original thread title and icon (so that I can change them back at the end of the month)
3) Tell me the spooky new title you want OR request a spooky title (I'm sure between the mods and the fine posters of the forum, we can workshop an appropriately scary title)

NOTE: don't make requests for threads that aren't yours, I won't change them!

:rip::rip::rip:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blood Sally posted:

Aw, man, this thread sure looks spooky abandoned!! Well, the contest is still on for all you ghosts and ghouls who might be interested in participating.

I really like these competitions and if I don't manage to get an entry in for this one it'll only be because I'm ridiculously busy right now and up to the 28th. So that leaves me three days before the deadline and I'll do my best to get something done.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
My computer is a toaster and I can't even record like 2 minutes of a retro game much less 30 minutes of an entire level, but I'm really excited to see what people might "SCARE" up for their submissions and I think this is a wonderful contest idea! :love:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blood Sally posted:

But I've also been thinking... we've changed the subforum name and the sticky thread titles all in the spirit of the season. It feels like something is missing though, like every other thread in the forum just doesn't have a spooky enough title.

SO!

If you would like a Spooktober/Halloween-themed title change for the month then post your request in this thread!

I do ask a couple of things, though:

1) Link your thread (don't make me look for it, please)
2) Post the original thread title and icon (so that I can change them back at the end of the month)
3) Tell me the spooky new title you want OR request a spooky title (I'm sure between the mods and the fine posters of the forum, we can workshop an appropriately scary title)

NOTE: don't make requests for threads that aren't yours, I won't change them!

:rip::rip::rip:

Sure, I'll bite.

Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817009

Original name/icon:

The best I could come up with was "Let's Slay Persona 5: Anime Was A Mi-Stake" but feel free to come up with something better.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, that's pretty good, actually. It's done!

Charlett posted:

My computer is a toaster and I can't even record like 2 minutes of a retro game much less 30 minutes of an entire level, but I'm really excited to see what people might "SCARE" up for their submissions and I think this is a wonderful contest idea! :love:

Do a screenshot LP of SkiFree, the most terrifying snow-based video game ever!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Arist posted:

The best I could come up with was "Let's Slay Persona 5: Anime Was A Mi-Stake" but feel free to come up with something better.
“I shot my head and a ghost come out to steal candy! Let’s unpossess my Persona 5!”

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Blood Sally posted:

Don't worry about it, speaking from experience it takes awhile for these things to take off, especially as people brainstorm ideas until they find something that clicks and then try to work out how to make that into an update.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I can confirm that I've been brainstorming all week.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mega64 posted:

Don't worry about it, speaking from experience it takes awhile for these things to take off, especially as people brainstorm ideas until they find something that clicks and then try to work out how to make that into an update.

Yeah, I know, I'm just trying to hype the thread by posting in it so people see new posts and come and see what's up, hopefully get stoked on the contest, and join in.

And you're all helping!! OooooOOOOOOoooOOOOO!!!

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
If I can get my new laptop setup I want to give it a test run by doing a submission for this that I've been thinking of hopefully I can get it done before the deadline

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Are purely text-based entries ok?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Heck yeah they are! There are entirely text-based games after all.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
Let's make babies, then lead them to battle! Conception II: CotSS

'Weird' forum icon

Mine isn't really a spooky LP, although it has monsters technically. If that's fine then I wouldn't mind having a title change.

Best I've got is 'Let's make babies, then take them trick or treating! Conception II'

I'm not a holiday guy, I'm sure someone can do better than that.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I'll kick off this contest! Here's an LP of the first chapter of a very spooky horror game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Psycho Knight posted:

Let's make babies, then lead them to battle! Conception II: CotSS

'Weird' forum icon

Mine isn't really a spooky LP, although it has monsters technically. If that's fine then I wouldn't mind having a title change.

Best I've got is 'Let's make babies, then take them trick or treating! Conception II'

I'm not a holiday guy, I'm sure someone can do better than that.

nah, that one's good! change is done.

Enchanted Hat posted:

I'll kick off this contest! Here's an LP of the first chapter of a very spooky horror game.

hell yeah :hai:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Let's Eat Sea-Salt Ice Cream in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

This probably can be changed to "Fighting ghosts, tentacles, a grave, worms, and more! in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days"

Let's look through many windows in Last Window: The Secret of Cape West

The best I can come up with for this one is "Let's look through ghosts in Last Window: The Secret of Cape West". Others can probably think of a better name for both.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 13, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When I tried playing this I couldn't figure out how to get past the necrogiant. I looked up a walkthrough and it turned out you just had to use basically your entire inventory on him, which I thought was pretty tedious and annoying, so I never bothered going back to it after that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

1234567890num posted:

This probably can be changed to "Fighting ghosts, tentacles, a grave, worms, and more! in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days"

The best I can come up with for this one is "Let's look through ghosts in Last Window: The Secret of Cape West". Others can probably think of a better name for both.

Yeah, those ones are hard for me--I've not played either game... Regardless, they have now been appropriately haunted. If anyone comes up with a better title you prefer, bug me and I'll switch it up again.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

1234567890num posted:

For Last Window, maybe something like "As long as it's not the Rear Window. Let's Play Last Window: The Secret of Cape West"? That's the best I've got. Old movie references.

Kingdom Hearts is a little hard, because the only thing I've got might be considered spoilery.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

1234567890num posted:

"Let's Eat Boo-Berry Ice Cream in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days"?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Psycho Knight posted:

For Last Window, maybe something like "As long as it's not the Rear Window. Let's Play Last Window: The Secret of Cape West"? That's the best I've got. Old movie references.

Kingdom Hearts is a little hard, because the only thing I've got might be considered spoilery.

Yeah, that title is good. I'll appreciate it if the title can be changed to that. I don't mind spoilery title for the KH one since I allow open spoilers in that thread.

Zyxyz posted:

"Let's Eat Boo-Berry Ice Cream in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days"?

It's Halloween themed, but unfortunately KH Days is kinda synonymous with sea-salt ice cream.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

1234567890num posted:

Yeah, that title is good. I'll appreciate it if the title can be changed to that. I don't mind spoilery title for the KH one since I allow open spoilers in that thread.

It's Halloween themed, but unfortunately KH Days is kinda synonymous with sea-salt ice cream.

soul-salt ice cream

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

1234567890num posted:

drat, I had it but forgot about it because I figured it wouldn't matter due to spoilers. Didn't think you would have an open spoiler thing. Uhhh....

Our memories are being eaten in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Let's Eat Scream-Salt Ice Cream in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

I got nothing else. If I remember the original one I'll post it. For now:

Geemer posted:

soul-salt ice cream

This is awesome. I'd try and work this in personally, even if KH never shuts up about Sea-salt.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Geemer posted:

soul-salt ice cream

This is a better title than the one I had :allears: I'll appreciate it if the KH thread title can be changed to that . This should be the last change for me (at least this month).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's done!

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Thanks!

I'll try to participate in this contest with this submission about a game with zombies, graves and pumpkins. I'm sorry :negative:

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Let's Play World of Horror, the Junji Ito MacVenture of your dreams. The extra R is for Really Scary.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Don't have the time for a competition entry, but a title change would be nice and festive.

It's Not Unacceptable: Let's Play Bravely Default

I keep getting stuck on 'It's Not Unaccepta-BOO!', but there've gotta be better puns than that. Open to ideas.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Probably shouldn't change the game's name, but Gravely Default would work.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Greyarc posted:

Don't have the time for a competition entry, but a title change would be nice and festive.

I keep getting stuck on 'It's Not Unaccepta-BOO!', but there've gotta be better puns than that. Open to ideas.

ultrafilter posted:

I've combined both options. If that doesn't work, let me know.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ultrafilter posted:

you definitely should because that is a great pun!

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Greyarc posted:

ultrafilter posted:

There are so many great options with that thread title. You could take it farther with Let's Dig Gravely Default.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Explosions posted:

Let's Play World of Horror, the Junji Ito MacVenture of your dreams. The extra R is for Really Scary.

Well, that sure as hell was a thing...
As a fun little fact, the first and third adventures there are based around Japanese urban legends!

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Psycho Knight posted:

There are so many great options with that thread title. You could take it farther with Let's Dig Gravely Default.

Hm, yeah. If a mod has time this would be a fine addition.

Otherwise, new title looks good!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Greyarc posted:

Hm, yeah. If a mod has time this would be a fine addition.

Otherwise, new title looks good!

Sure, why not.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Thanks, that 'll do the trick. What a treat!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ALRIGHT, FELLOW GHOULS AND GOBLINS: the deadline is nigh!!!

If you have an entry, get it in. If not... well...

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I finally stopped putting it off and wrote some garbage a very serious story about a very scary game where you're chased around darkened hallways by several men that probably intend to inflict bodily harm upon you.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=152467

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Shiiiit I forgot about this and I'm too busy to do anything.

rip