Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This is a pretty good post, even if marginalised people are interpreting he narrative as a member of one outgroup helping another group to regain their ancestral lands. Both things can be true! poo poo's complicated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

That episode... just wasn't very good. I wish the conflict with the Hutts was allowed another episode or two to breathe before the reveal that they were set up. As it is, it just felt like the show immediately threw out the interesting setup from the previous episode, while also weirdly repeating the same beat (walk to see the Mayor, find out who's really behind things, etc etc). Add to that the slow paced, boring chase scene, and the few good elements (Wookie fight, Rancor) aren't enough to elevate it above "kinda crap".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

tbh I think the show should be portraying Boba as more badass than it is, and it is making him seem like a chump. I'm okay with him getting kicked around and loving up, but the dude was a bounty hunter with enough cred to be hired by Vader, he should be pretty cutthroat just to have survived for long in that line of work. It'd be more interesting to see him go into it with a "just kill everyone" attitude and through the series learn finesse and restraint through a series of fuckups where thinking like a bounty hunter just doesn't work. As it is, the show is a constant string of Boba walking back and forth between people who betray him.

I am extremely okay with him wanting a giant Weird Dog to live in his basement and give scritches too because who wouldn't?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Reik posted:

It's hard to build tension when the protagonist can just beat up/kill everyone that opposes him. The Mandalorian was allowed to be more of a badass because he was up against the remnants of the galactic empire with murder droids. Boba Fett doesn't have an antagonist of that scale on Tatooine because he's the guy in charge of Tatooine, so he has to be toned down to allow for actual conflict.

What I'm saying is you establish Fett as a beat up dude who is still a badass but is resorting to violence because that's all he knows, and also to prove to himself that he's still Got It. Then you engineer situations where killing people makes things more complicated/worse. Have Boba start by killing a bunch of Bib's underlings but whoops! They were the people that knew how to run the Crime! Guess we'd better find some replacements. Or like the Hutts, have them hang around, a problem that Boba can't just gun down because then the entire Hutt family will come knocking and even he can't deal with that. poo poo, he needs more allies for this, remember the lessons learned making friends with the Sand People? And so on.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Boba Fett has always been a goddamn chump.

I'm sort of sick of this line of reasoning because the original trilogy absolutely frames him as clever enough to catch up to the protagonists when the other bounty hunters can't. He's one step ahead. In the TV series he's always two steps behind

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 14, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tracking someone and being some unstoppable badass who can kill everyone with a look are two entirely different skill sets and Boba has only been shown in the goddamn movies to be capable of one of them.

Sure, I don't need him to be an unstoppable badass. I would like him to be a cunning killer though which is pretty much his job description. Smart and threatening and completely unable to run the complexities of a crime family because his job previous to this is "Find people, kill people, be intimidating because you've got a Cool Hat".

The series is aiming for this, but missing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sash! posted:

Have they considered the possibility that Jango Fett is Space Polish and it was Slav I this whole time?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Boba Fett ends with CG De-aged Luke throwing him back into the Sarlacc

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Wreckage is smoking but not actively on fire, hours I'd say

Yeah it's possible that he had a couple of hours of air in his suit that was running out.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

- Over what is likely a period of at least weeks/months (minimum, possibly years), Boba earns a place in the Tusken tribe through the events in the flashbacks.

Can't be years because the young Tusken doesn't grow any taller (unless Tuskens age differently)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I feel like at the end of this show, there's going to be enough material for a really great three-episode miniseries.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

TLJ is not nearly good enough on a whole to justify the like four minutes or so of it that were sort of decent.

There's more than four minutes of good things in TLJimo, though he film is a weirdly structured mess. But man, I wish they had taken and run with "we must build something new without slavish devotion to, or complete destruction of the past"

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 29, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sekhmnet posted:

He's like a home schooled adult just finding out about the world, like that weird nerd Daria briefly dated in the late 90's cartoon "Daria".

"We are the Modal Nodes... but we're thinking of changing our name"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

well why not posted:

They figured out that Temuera Morrison isn’t a good enough actor for his own show two episode ago.

He's actually got a shitload of charisma but I think ultimately he was wrong for the part. You can see it bleeding through when he's teaching the Sandpeople to ride speederbikes, hell, pretty much everything with the Sandpeople. And he's got a crazy good war face. But he's wasted on "just sort of hanging out and being stoic".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Bane had a six shooter blaster. Let him fan the hammer next time Filoni

It's High Noons

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

ScreenCrush is EXTREMELY thorough. Well worth watching and he usually gets a video out same day by the evening. Love going through it and learning. Dude loves this poo poo.

He always throws in a "your mom" joke but it's random and it'll sound like a real piece of trivia before. :lol:

His theory videos are just wild speculative bullshit tho and not worth watching no matter how many times he lampshades how wrong he's been in the past NOT THE BEES

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Luke's trying to be better in that he's giving Grogu a choice, but he's also falling back on the same binary thinking that the Jedi have always been guilty of. Just give Mando visiting rights on the weekends, maybe let him take Grogu out for a spin in his new car sometimes.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

IMO Bobba Fett was a real first-draft of a show that would have been great after several passes and revisions.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

It absolutely feels like they had the Book of Boba Fett season all mapped out with a proper story and character arcs, then were approached by the story group and told "Mmmh, we have sort of a problem here. We just broke the story for Mandolorian season 3 and we don't have room to get Din and Grogu back together. Since Mando is our big hit, we're gonna go ahead and need you to dedicate 3 episodes to that kay? Yeaaah, that would be greeaat..." then had to take a hacksaw to what they'd already laid out.

I had the opposite feeling like they were all "gently caress we only have the basics of a plot here and some cool Tuscan flashbacks, can we throw in some Mando season 3 stuff as filler?"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Every establishing shot of the Mods should have been of them cleaning their bikes with little hand held air compressors and bits of cloth.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Should’ve been wiping them down with wet rags (with the water they were supposedly stealing :twisted: )

:hellyeah: Just put in some work to show that the Mods go to a lot of effort to look shiny, to the point of stealing poo poo. Show them breakin the law, breakin the law. Make them feel like actual punk rear end teenagers.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Mandrel posted:

I guess it probably would have helped to have a quick scene/shot of them meticulously detailing their scooters in between action. but it also feels like the kind of thing you could really take or leave in editing and could just as easily assume the viewer doesn't need to be told. for all the complaining people have about "Show, don't tell," a lot of viewers very clearly want to be told

That's not what "show don't tell" means. Telling would be Boba having a line like "Those Mods, always cleaning their scooters".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jerkface posted:

He gets it, the point is that the show probably DID need boba to do that so everyone would be like "ohhhh ok"

tbh, Fennec Shand is the series designated deliverer of exposition.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

While the show has plenty of problems, I really like Tem in the role and it’s a shame to see people online dunking on him for his pronunciations or not being a ripped 30/40 something.

Yeah he's wasted in most of the show but really shines in the Sandpeople scenes.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Okay this is super loving cool

https://twitter.com/WorldofMrG/status/1493455114723418115?s=20&t=EuYjRSllcaOhsO0o1MqT7g
https://twitter.com/WorldofMrG/status/1493644948360466432?s=20&t=EuYjRSllcaOhsO0o1MqT7g
https://twitter.com/WorldofMrG/status/1493792735093919748?s=20&t=EuYjRSllcaOhsO0o1MqT7g

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

Kenobi was the villain of the OT. Dude sends a dirt farmer teenager against the drat ruler of the galaxy. Then when called out on his out right lies says some, "well from a certain alternative fact" poodoo. Guys a real sleemo is what I am saying.

Nah.

Kenobi lies to Luke about his dad because he knows Luke's a hotheaded idiot farmboy. His whole plan is to train him on Alderaan, and I assume gradually fill him in on what's actually going on, indroduce him to Leia, etc. Dick move lying to him, sure, but it's explicitly so he doesn't throw himself immediately at Vader/the Emperor.

Then they blunder into the Death Star, and Kenobi sacrifices himself so that Luke can escape. It's Luke's idea to do a suicide run on a moon-sized space station, Ghost Kenobi just helps him out when it's clear he's going to get himself killed. He then spends the rest of the trilogy as telling Luke not to confront Vader, just settle the gently caress down and train with Yoda first, advice which is mostly ignored.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I loved Empire Strikes Back as a kid, and I think a lot of that was to do with the Hoth battle.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I think every single attempt at villain-who-kinda-dresses-like-Vader in any medium look dumb. Moff Gideon, the Inquisitors, those people from the video games and comics, etc. They all look dumb and derivative, Dollar Store ripoffs of Vader.

That was the whole point of Moff Gideon, he's trying to be The Big Man, but he's just a petty tyrant with gently caress all real power.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Temuera's 2000% more animated behind the scenes whereas on screen he's almost a glacier that triggers an avalanche maybe once an hour per total run time

Chalk that up to the writing and directing, as soon as the show gives him a chance to be interesting (the Sandpeople scenes) he's great. Too bad the show is mostly "walk to location X, have a boring conversation, walk away"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

EDIT: lol I thought you were talking about Morrison, disregard

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm baffled by all the hate the show is getting, it's not a masterpiece but it's a neat little character study of a broken man trying to find hope. It doesn't seem bad enough to really hate. I thought the latest ep was far better than the one before and it's fun seeing an angry Vader clowning on people. idk, I guess I just didn't have high hopes going in (especially after Book of Boba) but was pleasantly surprised.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Alchenar posted:

It's annoying to see a decent premise and reasonbly interesting ideas brought down by execution where the show was edited so that characters teleport or disappear from sequences, or where it looks like scenes were done in one take no matter what went wrong.

When there is this much talent and money and preparation behind something it is very difficult to understand how they are getting the little things wrong.

Yeah, like, I can see why people don't like the show. There's some weird rear end takes in it, and I think part of that is directors still working out the best way to use The Volume. I just don't think it's bad enough to hate. IMO it's consistently better than Book of Boba, and Rise of Skywalker.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Just Chamber posted:

I haven't seen, or have barely seen any reasons for why people actually enjoy this show, bar maybe "Ewan McGregor is good as Obi Wan".

The show is a pretty much a character study, so "McGregor is good as Obi Wan" is a legitimate reason. Also I'm enjoying the relationship between Vader and Obi Wan, Christensen is doing a stellar job of physical acting while hidden by the suit, you can FEEL his anger when he pulls the ship out of the sky, dude is PISSED. The plot is a slow burn but is still moving forward, unlike Book of Boba which seemed to be a lot of walking back and forward interspersed with unrelated flashbacks. All the flashbacks in Obi-Wan reflect on and inform the events on the events in the present. Young Leia is great, though they really shouldn't have scripted sequences where she runs very slowly away from grown adults. In fact, most of the time the action is the weakest part of the episodes, which doesn't bother me much because I'm here to watch a broken down space wizard reclaim his hope by realising that goodness didn't die with the Jedi. It's not a masterpiece, there are some things which I don't like that much, but nothing has infuriated or bored me and I'm generally enjoying watching it. :shrug:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, this is where we get to the real point - Obiwan wasn’t particularly “broken down” at the end of Star Wars Episode 3.
But he is at the start of this show, we are to infer that living as a weird hermit on a desert planet after watching your whole society die kinda sucks.

And what is ‘badness’ in the Obiwan Show? Where did these ‘inquisitor’ guys come from?
idk if you are actually watching the show but it straight up states who they are, they're Vader's dogs, jedi hunters, and framed like SS officers. it also tells the audience that they're recruited from force sensitive individuals.

The answer is that the show is actually designed to lead directly into the “Sequel Trilogy”.
This is probably a consideration, but the show actually owes a lot of its beats (especially the inquisitors) to the animated shows like Rebels etc, something that the other TV shows have also leaned into (Ashoka Tano, Cade Bane, etc etc).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Disney deploying the woke marketing

what do you mean?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

emgeejay posted:

Ewan always gives it his all, but the show isn't a character study just because it has more close-ups than the Star Wars movies. We're not talking about Better Call Saul here.

It's a character study because imo the plot is just a vehicle to let McGregor dig into Obi-Wan's internal state after the prequels, and to explore an arc where he recovers from survivor's guilt, no-one's seriously going into this thinking "oh man he might not rescue Leia" or "drat what if Vader kills him".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Instead, what we have is functionally a flashback to “the time that this guy had depression”, drawing parallels between his ‘inner journey’ to self-confidence and a naive chronological reading of the six Lucas films where we gradually progress towards the restoration of the utopian Republic. In words, an old man character gets his mojo back by (mis)remembering Star Wars.

This is weird and reductionist and also not true? The narrative is not that Obi-Wan is going to work towards restoring the Republic, it's that he's learning that wallowing in survivor's guilt isn't helpful and that any action (any resistance you could say) against fascism is worth attempting. What's weird to me is that the show is presenting this while the audience is aware that Obi-Wan.. goes back to hiding in the desert for another 10 years.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

You’re going to have to show your work here,

Okay you go first because as usual you slam off on tangents whenever your points are refuted and make wild suppositions based on nothing, eg:

Clearly the show is not supporting any action against fascism, as Reza is the villain who will surely ‘go too far’ and be put down.

NOWHERE in the series is "it is pointless to resist fascism" text or even subtext. It's going out of its way to beat the audience over the head with HEY LOOK AT THESE PEOPLE AT LEAST THEY'RE DOING SOMETHING, EVEN THE CONMAN. Reva isn't working against the system, she's been corrupted by it and is seeking personal revenge and power rather than actual change. She's also going to die but be somehow be redeemed because as mentioned earlier the show is cribbing structure from 1/2/3/4/5/6, and that's what happens in Jedi to Vader.

god, why am I bothering arguing with SMG

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 20, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

One the The Volume makes easier is integration of CG elements into live action scenes, you can grab the data that's being sent to the screens to use for environmental lighting.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Why are power and vengeance bad when Reza wants to be empowered as an impoverished black woman, and is seeking vengeance against fascists?

There's no way you can be this bad at watching a TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Inquisitors appeared after the Star Wars narrative ended, as a retroactive introduction to the Knights Of Ren.

Again, this is not true. They were introduced in a video game as miniboss enemies for the player to fight, then expanded on in animated shows. You're reaching for connections that aren't there.