Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dave Syndrome posted:

Liked it overall, but again some of the writing was a bit clunky.

Apart from the ethics of displaying the partially-dismembered corpse of a local hero as a statue, it's a bit weird why Mando wants IG-11 back.
I would argue that the mechanics are nothing special, and he could just get any other IG droid - maybe add a few weapons modifications, but that should be it. The thing that made IG-11 special was his programming and his memories. Now if that's gone, what's the point of going in search of a new memory core?
They could at least have explained it with "his memory and programming are still in there, but he's missing a Special Part(TM) that lets him access all of it" and the result would've been the same.

He needs a droid but has some deeeeeeeep-seated issues with them considering they killed his parents and everyone he grew up with as a child. Trusting IG-11 at all is a big deal for him, and even memory-wiped it's still IG-11 to him. Any other droid is just A Droid, it doesn't have to be logical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ratjaculation posted:

IG11 is a fan favourite, and thus his meaningful sacrifice, much like Mando passing Grogu to Luke, can be made irrelevant for merchandising purposes

That said, I enjoyed the episode. Mando still feels like the definition of Star Wars

I fully agree, but I think they could've gotten away with it if it was just the head intact rather than half the body and just rebuilt as much as they could from parts afterwards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ratjaculation posted:

Where the heck will IG11 fit in that Naboo fighter anyway???

Yeah, that's been my problem with the N-1 since it got shown off. It's undoubtedly neat and cool as hell, but it's not a good protagonist vehicle because it's very limited in what you can do with it writing-wise. The Razor Crest was big enough to be used for internal shots, bring along some extras-of-the-week, and just have little touches of lived-in decoration (the weapon locker, carbonite-frozen bounties, etc). With the N-1, what you see is what you get, and there's not a lot of wiggle-room for variation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerkface posted:

The Pirates were flying R-41 starchasers from Tie Fighter, which is a touch I loved

That's neat! Oh, actually speaking of TIE fighter, I'm pretty sure the N-1's twin laser cannons are taken from one given the colour and sound FX.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The booster engine runs on biofuel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One nitpick with the opening scene too; You'd think they'd give the kid a haircut before putting his forever-helmet on given it's down to his neck and gonna get pressed down further by the helmet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

swickles posted:

I honestly thought it was a flashback scene until Mando landed the fighter. I really thought the kid was Djinn and this was his helmet ceremony and that he would at some point save the day.

Pretty sure that was the whole point of it, given the kid even looks like a young Din.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

The kid Mandalorian helmets looked very plasticky for some reason

I don’t really understand…they tell Mando that he needs a new part to fix the droid but then he just continues the mission anyway? Did I miss something?

Yeah I noticed that about the kid's helmet too. They're generally real good with their prop work, but the kid's helmet looked cheap as gently caress.

Owlbear Camus posted:

she died on her way to her home planet

I get the feeling that out was already in place as a vague "she's off starring in the Rangers Show", but definitely a nice neat way to jettison her from the franchise permanently. Where is she? Just off-screen. Somewhere. Probably.

Cara Dune's transport spiraled into the waters of Kamino. There were no survivors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

theflyingexecutive posted:

IG-11 exploded! He died! nobly and heroically! Jfc, why bring him back?

You're new to a modern media franchise, aren't you?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Hopefully they turn things around, I honestly didn't like bringing back Grogu in BoBF, I guess they're just gonna run this formula into the ground.

The problem with leaving Grogu with Luke at the academy is that has a very specific outcome, and a pretty grim one at that.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Imagine giving birth with a helmet on that you can't take off

The conception's gotta be interesting;

"You want the helmet on, or off?"

"...Too bad...:smuggo:"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Don't worry, Grogu's selling backpacks and popsockets and poo poo. Even if he was at his second Jedi Academy massacre, he'd magically escape and be a nonentity for all of the sequel trilogy.

Oh I fully get that, I just meant there's no way to square that ending away neatly on its own merit because The Last Jedi already exists around it as it happened. Even as you see it, there's no getting around knowing in a couple years Ben Kenobi's gonna have a real bad night at the Academy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

Don't make that comparison because henry blake was beloved and he got a happy ending of surviving in a life raft.

Wait, really? I never knew that. I always thought it stuck.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

Look Gamera just wanted to congratulate the foundling for getting his first helmet. He's a friend to all children but that just isn't good enough for some rear end in a top hat adults.

Also if you're gonna set up shop on a planet to hide out, shouldn't you check out what the local wildlife situation is like before deciding on your fancy ritual site on the shoreline? Maybe have a few guys out patrolling to keep an eye out for roaming megafauna that might approach the camp?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Data Graham posted:

My "favorite" space trope is how if you're flying along and your ship breaks down or you get shot or whatever, you immediately "fall out of the sky" onto a nearby planet which is always just there.

Instead of like ... okay I'm stranded 500 light years from the nearest globular cluster

Hyperspace travel is fast enough you're real likely to hit something more often than not. It's actually real hard to plot a long jump because you WILL have something in the way. it's why hyperspace lanes (a long clear stretch of space across the galaxy) are a Big Deal, and anyone that finds new one is set for life and generations beyond.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ratjaculation posted:

who the gently caress is Yaddie?!

Yaddle is a female member of Yoda's species, she's in a bunch of the Jedi Council scenes in the prequel trilogy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kneelbeforezog posted:

why dont they make a luke skywalker show? luke going on adventures?

Mark Hamil is old as gently caress, and AI Luuke does not hold up well against human actors.

Recast someone else, you say? That might not be a guaranteed profit for the franchise!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, everyone he's had to interact with has been a helmeted weirdo, another CGI creation, or someone in heavy prosthetic makeup who herself is portraying an interpretation of a cartoon character. If you put creepy plastic action figure Luke up against a real human like they did with Tarkin in Rogue One it would be stomach turning.

Nah, the season 2 finale was Mark Hamil doing VO.

The BoBF appearance was all AI, and that was VERY carefully structured so Din talked to a real actor (Rosario Dawson) while AI Luuuke only had to talk at Grogu with simple whimsical Jedi philosophy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CelticPredator posted:

It looked exactly like this

I think it IS that. Or at least they moulded their own without the divot in it. The T-Visor is identical

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Robot Style posted:

And weirdly enough, this scene actually seems to contradict Season 1, where Mandalorian kids seem to just wear whatever helmets happen to be lying around (or maybe they're just really non-standard designs), and getting an actual Mando helmet would presumably be a rite of passage that happens during adulthood.

You forget another part of season 1; Din brought home a shitload of Beskar, and they even specifically mention it'll be used for the Foundlings iirc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mistermojo posted:

the show only kind of works when they rip off Lone Wolf and Cub and old westerns. the more it becomes about the side characters and overarching plot the worse it gets.

Ironically, Book of Boba Fett only really worked when it focused on the side-character's over-arching plot :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Robot Style posted:

That would definitely make sense to bring the season full-circle, but there's no way they're going to put baby in a helmet for the rest of the series. Maybe the demands of keeping the show marketable will force Din into making some reforms so his cult doesn't require 100% helmet all the time.

Just for argument's sake; He finds more crystalized tablets that show their whole helmets-always-on thing is a bastardized misinterpretation of the creed to like "Always keep Manadalore in your heart/head".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kwatz posted:

No, read Heir to the Empire before anything. It’s what functionally started the old book EU back in the 90s and Thrawn is mostly confined to that trilogy of books and you don’t have to worry about a ton of tie-ins to get everything. That being said, that’s the old canon and I have no idea what the books about Thrawn are in the new canon.

Not quite; Truce at Bakura is the start of the continuous (Legends) EU canon novels. Heir to the Empire is a far better one to start with though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fartknocker posted:

I think they meant it started the EU in real life, since Heir to the Empire was the first major Star Wars book released in 1991 and started the EU as we know it. Truce at Bakura is one of many books set before it (Picking up immediately after Endor), but wasn’t written until 1994. If there’s anything to read that’s set post-Endor/pre-Thrawn trilogy, it’s the first seven books of the X-wing series (Corran Horn jokes aside, they’re solid action books and the Wraith Squadron trilogy is great).

All that said, there are a pair of Thrawn trilogies set in the New EU. The first, consisting of Thrawn, Thrawn: Alliances, and Thrawn: Treason is set kinda around Rebels with some flashback to Clone Wars-era stuff and is okay but nothing special. The other, the Thrawn: Ascendancy trilogy, is basically his backstory/origin tale in the Chiss military and better and pretty cool, being written in such a way that it could really work in either the old EU or the new one, but neither is required to understand him whether you’re watching Rebels or going into Heir to the Empire.

Also, I’ll make my legally required “Give me Wraith Squadron, you bastards!” post.

I'll take the L on that, I swear I read somewhere that Truce is the first "canon" novel. Not chronologically, but as the set-in-stone "these are all canon" plan. May it was chronologically, I dunno, it was years back when I read it. :shrug:

Also we don't need Wraith Squadron, we need Dinner and Silly Squadron! :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Luke is a goddamned disaster romantically. He knows his "parents" aren't his parents, it's pretty clear he's aged out of whatever primary/secondary education system exists on Tatooine, and he lives in the literal boonies, so he probably has the same exposure to girls his own age as a kid in an Arab/Subcontinental society. Unless "getting power converters at Tosche Station" was Tatooine teenage slang for "gonna go try and get laid/hit up a brothel."

Even in just the original film Owen points out that going to Tosche Station is so he can hang out with his friends, and there's a bit EU text that got snuck into canon with one of the couples in BoBF at that Cantina in the desert that were meant to be a pair of Luke's friends. You can kinda fudge and guess there's a few girls his age kicking around hanging out together, the problem with being on Tatooine is it's Tatooine. The farthest thing from the bright center of the galaxy and literally anything interesting happening. It's why everyone young leaves and goes to the Imperial Academy for an exciting future.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vinylshadow posted:

Romantic couples on Tatooine learn to hate sand, because it's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it. Gets. Everywhere.

Y'wanna take your take on a trip to the dune sea? Too bad, sand has gotten into the engine block and corroded the motivator, so have fun walking into town to get a new one for your date!

Also cause you camped out for the night together in the desert Jawas came by and gutted half your landspeeder while you slept. Finder's-Keepers, UTIINIIII!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

No Mods No Masters posted:

To put it another way, it's been underappreciated that the prequels are the work of a massively divorced man, to an extent perhaps not surpassed in the public eye until modern day elon musk. I feel like george's stance was quite plausibly lowkey 'the initial tragedy was the love ban wasn't obeyed'

I always thought the ascetic monk thing is stupid for the Light Side of the Force. The whole deal of the Light Side is good in the universe, love life and all that jazz, and setting yourself apart from everything is just... none of it. It's just arrogance and frankly riding a knife edge to falling to the Dark Side.

A proper Light-side Jedi should be the archetypal begger-knight, partying hard and being nigh-perpetually drunk and belligerent while they fully embrace life in all its pursuits. Or just be one of those things woven into trying to be a decent person every day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fartknocker posted:

Just do a Wraith Squadron show, you bastards! I demand the adventures of Lieutenant Kettch!

Yub-Yub, Commander!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vinylshadow posted:

Bo could say she won it from him and Din literally doesn't want the drat thing so he'd simply nod and say "yep she totally kicked my rear end while we on Mandalore and I got the bruises to prove it"

Bo Katan is still a Mandalorian. She could lie to everyone else, but not to herself. If she's gonna have the Darksaber, she's gotta claim the Darksaber properly, and if it were that simple a rule to bend she'd have taken it the first time it was offered respectfully to her.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ShowTime posted:

In this episode didn't she just claim it? The previous owner (Din) was defeated by creepy cyborg, who was then defeated by Bo-Katan. They've already established it doesn't have to be a killing. Or does the first loss not count because the cyborg won by submission and not a brawl?

Edit: NVM, I read up a bit. lovely and doesn't make sense.

Picking it up isn't Claiming it. She uses it, but does not Own it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

site posted:

yeah i was kinda confused how that works but maybe it's like, some classes of ship have that built in to their systems but a naboo starfighter is designed to have an astromech co-pilot so that capability is offloaded onto them instead

it is dumb and that's why their whole thing is such a mess even going back to the factioning in rebels, but between her getting a whole scene of wielding it properly and saving din's rear end twice i have to believe she's gonna get it back for real soon

Most Star Wars planets operate on Fantasy Realm rules. If it looks like a nice safe forest, it is a nice safe forest.

Mandalore is a nuked-out hellhole, so theoretically toxic gasses abound.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't see Bo wielding the Darksaber well as a sign it'll return to her. It's more like a preview of "This is how it SHOULD work", for when Din stops fighting the drat thing and starts using it properly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Now I can't help but think of the name Bucket-Head Wendy for the Forgemaster.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It'd be p funny if Luke only thought Tatooine was a backwater shithole because he never goes to the cities, like he's living in an Amish village 60 miles from Philly but thinks the entire US is a featureless void.

Nah, you can tell from Mos Eisley and Mos Espa they're all genuine shitholes. Nevarro's a good example of prosperity in Star Wars visual shorthand, because by season 3 there's stuff that's actually clean, if not brand-new. Seeing anything that's both clean and new-looking in Star Wars is a Big Deal.

(And also part of why the Teenage Biker Squad in BoBF were egregiously terrible - you simply aren't gonna see New and Clean on a place like Tatooine. At least, not longer than five minutes before someone steals and chop-shops it.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The only places we see in Mos Espa are a junkyard, slave quarters, and the podrace arena though. (E: forgot BoBF was Espa) And Mos Eisley/Espa/ a couple shanty towns are the only settlements we see too. Luke's family is coded as dirt poor despite the decently sized house and garage, but he still has a speeder and a T-16. Imagine what the middle class has.

Yeah, Book of Boba Fett is entirely set in Mos Espa and you see some high-end locales like the Cantina and the Mayor's office. Some of the contents are clean, the clothing is clean, but the rest is still old, dusty, if not both. Even the Majordomo's speeder in that silly low-speed speeder chase is clean-ish, but there's still pitted paint, dust, and the like from being regularly used. This is the highest level of society for Tatooine, and the best they can do is mostly clean.

A place like Nevarro having pristine new buildings and furnishings is a big step up for them.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My guess is "always wearing the armor is a good way to allow her to not have to spend months getting in 'movie shape' for a streaming show."

Probably the same for Pedro in that respect.

Didn't work for Boba Fett! :v:

Nobody's buying an Action Gardening Bo Katan toy.

And I 100% doubt Pedro is in that suit any more than 15% of the time.

Also just realized the reason they downgraded Mando's ride to a space Miata is because it's easier to do reshoots when the whole ship fits in the Volume. Fuckin Disney.

Oh yeah, you're probably right!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

I also recently got what they were going for with the Hover Vespa's

They were mods modding themselves
That's the joke
:cripes:

Christ what a bland nothingburger of a series.

Am I gonna cover up this woman's new delicate cybernetics to protect them from dust or damage? Heck no; I like to show off my work here on Tatooine! :smuggo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xelkelvos posted:

Buckler Lightsaber where the blade is short and splayed out wide or spinning at an anlge

Twin-blade lightsaber, mounted to a motor on the forearm to spin it. Or something like the Sith Inquisition ones on a forearm mount.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I feel like Grogu should have a Happy Meal, but otherwise perfect. :discourse:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

swickles posted:

How else am I going to learn about Sarlaac titties?

Sarlaactaation is a perfectly natural thing! :goonsay:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LividLiquid posted:

My grandfather was a projectionist. My father was a projectionist. I was a projectionist.

This joke fucks.

At some point your family needs to stop blaming others for your troubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ethics_Gradient posted:

This episode makes me want to see a "Tales from..." anthology.

You know, I could see this being a thing; Just a bunch of various-length one-shots for some of the secondary characters across various shows for a day-in-the-life/mini-adventure story. Give Peli or Greef center-stage for a small bit of nonsense, that sort of thing.

Call it Tales from The Galaxy or something.