Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So he's gonna be Warlord Zsinj, got it.

I mean he could just be playing Gar Saxon again too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Filoni is going to gently caress around and re-canonize Triclops, Palpatine’s mutant son, much to all our dismay and delight.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

Filoni is going to gently caress around and re-canonize Triclops, Palpatine’s mutant son, much to all our dismay and delight.

But Rise of Skywalker already is a canon Jedi Prince story...

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Sash! posted:

The thing to keep in mind here is that the people running the USCPSC twitter are insane.

Holy (recalled for safety issue) balls, you're not kidding.

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1628913693147684866
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1631078498432434176
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1631093524648062977

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It's like DaShareZone, but serving a tangible public good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FlamingLiberal posted:

The kid Mandalorian helmets looked very plasticky for some reason

I don’t really understand…they tell Mando that he needs a new part to fix the droid but then he just continues the mission anyway? Did I miss something?

It looked exactly like this

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

nine-gear crow posted:

We're probably still half a decade, maybe 10 years away from a fully AI resurrected or de-aged actor-led show or movie made by Disney.

Boris Karloff brought back from the dead to play characters also brought back from the dead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

Boris Karloff brought back from the dead to play characters also brought back from the dead.

I was gonna say remake Plan 9 From Outer Space using a Digital Boris Karloff in the role Ed Wood already tried to posthumously revive him with using late 50s cinema tricks, but that was actually Bela Lugosi that he did that with.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Disney up in here serving us some Kirkland brand Davy Jones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CelticPredator posted:

It looked exactly like this

I think it IS that. Or at least they moulded their own without the divot in it. The T-Visor is identical

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Has to be.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The wider visor definitely gives it more of a kid's roleplay accessory vibe, since safety regulations require a toy helmet to have enough room for general visibility, while adult helmets often need different amounts of padding to even get the slit to eye level, and even then visibility is going to be fairly limited.

It makes sense that Mandalorians would do this too, a child would need a visor that they could see out of as their head continues to grow, until they get an adult helmet.

It's probably not actually just a repainted toy though - there's some molding differences like different pieces being flush on the toy but not the prop or vice versa, and the border around the visor not extending all the way down to the chin on the costume piece. It's different enough that it would be easier to just make one design that they can fabricate for as many kids as they need rather than buying a bunch of toy helmets and modifying them each by hand.

And weirdly enough, this scene actually seems to contradict Season 1, where Mandalorian kids seem to just wear whatever helmets happen to be lying around (or maybe they're just really non-standard designs), and getting an actual Mando helmet would presumably be a rite of passage that happens during adulthood.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Robot Style posted:

And weirdly enough, this scene actually seems to contradict Season 1, where Mandalorian kids seem to just wear whatever helmets happen to be lying around (or maybe they're just really non-standard designs), and getting an actual Mando helmet would presumably be a rite of passage that happens during adulthood.

You forget another part of season 1; Din brought home a shitload of Beskar, and they even specifically mention it'll be used for the Foundlings iirc.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Maybe I am just too old and curmudgeonly now or something but that whole opening scene with the Mandalorians in a cave seemed to highlight, or at least confirm, my feeling that they way they've gone with the whole "culture" thing is so very dumb. Mandalorians not removing their helmets seems to be entirely derived from Boba Fett never removing it in the original movies because he was cool and mysterious. But no, its just a whole race of dudes, kids and all wearing dumb T-shaped visors on-top of their normal tunics or something. Oh and all of them have cool jetpacks and flamethrowers too. Our religion is one of cool helmets and flamethrowers. The more its expanded upon the stupider it seems to be to me.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

mitochondritom posted:

Maybe I am just too old and curmudgeonly now or something but that whole opening scene with the Mandalorians in a cave seemed to highlight, or at least confirm, my feeling that they way they've gone with the whole "culture" thing is so very dumb. Mandalorians not removing their helmets seems to be entirely derived from Boba Fett never removing it in the original movies because he was cool and mysterious. But no, its just a whole race of dudes, kids and all wearing dumb T-shaped visors on-top of their normal tunics or something. Oh and all of them have cool jetpacks and flamethrowers too. Our religion is one of cool helmets and flamethrowers. The more its expanded upon the stupider it seems to be to me.

I dunno, the fact that the rest of the galaxy constantly goes "that's kinda dumb" helps a lot.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I feel like the helmet thing is a Jon Favreau invention - Filoni definitely didn't make it part of his Mandalorians, and it was never part of the Karen Traviss stuff or even the pre-Traviss depictions of them from the 90's.

And when they did reintroduce Boba Fett in live-action, he wasn't even a part of the helmet subculture, which means they created an answer for a question that they ended up discarding anyway.

I don't remember where I read it, but I think there was a pre-prequel EU story where someone asked Fett why he never took his helmet off, and he said something like "I've got the kind of face the whole galaxy used to recognize", implying that he had some sinister past where becoming the most notorious bounty hunter in the galaxy was actually a step down in terms of his reputation. Obviously with the prequels the clone army would give that idea new meaning, but either way it's an explanation I like more than Fett being Orthodox or whatever.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

mitochondritom posted:

I'd be very interested in seeing the schizm of a schizm that lead to never taking helmets off, when before most of Deathwatch didn't give a poo poo about it. But yeah the real life justification is another one of those "OT Star Wars characters are the ideal iconic version of their race or creed", see Obi Wan's hermit robes becoming Jedi robes, all Mandos being bounty hunters for a while ect. I dunno why I can't think of more examples for some reason.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Hutt gangsters
Mon Calamari admirals
Position of s-foils

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

There's also the whiplash between the very grounded, well considered, well produced Andor and then back to this... Disjointed collection of cameos, callbacks and groups of chubby armoured dudes in a circle shooting a crocodile. Something about it felt very contrived and off. I can't decide if Mandalorian was always like that though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Man, literally all the other mandos fancy up their armour with cool paintjobs and what have you then you've got Din just pootling about in bare beskar. Inject some colour in there, son!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nine-gear crow posted:

We're probably still half a decade, maybe 10 years away from a fully AI resurrected or de-aged actor-led show or movie made by Disney.

Almost there now

https://twitch.tv/unlimitedsteam

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

mitochondritom posted:

There's also the whiplash between the very grounded, well considered, well produced Andor and then back to this... Disjointed collection of cameos, callbacks and groups of chubby armoured dudes in a circle shooting a crocodile. Something about it felt very contrived and off. I can't decide if Mandalorian was always like that though.

The episode was disjointed, but Mando has always been a fairly goofy space western.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yaddle is a female member of Yoda's species, she's in a bunch of the Jedi Council scenes in the prequel trilogy.
A whole Tale of the Jedis episode is about her death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ic3kAlh7t0

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the show only kind of works when they rip off Lone Wolf and Cub and old westerns. the more it becomes about the side characters and overarching plot the worse it gets.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The part that the helmet thing fumbles is the implication that they're all human. If the "helmet always on" thing was more driven by nothing knowing what's under that helmet, it might work better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mistermojo posted:

the show only kind of works when they rip off Lone Wolf and Cub and old westerns. the more it becomes about the side characters and overarching plot the worse it gets.

Ironically, Book of Boba Fett only really worked when it focused on the side-character's over-arching plot :v:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

You think they will show any of the peaceful reformed Mandolorians Duchess Satine(Obiwan's secret wife) was leader of?

An episode of Bo-Katan's clan and and the Children of the Watch united in their disgust of them.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

mitochondritom posted:

Our religion is one of cool helmets and flamethrowers. The more its expanded upon the stupider it seems to be to me.

Weapons are (canonically) their religion. And yes, it is stupid to get fanatical about poo poo like that.

thousand yard stare at the camera

Shoehead posted:

I'd be very interested in seeing the schizm of a schizm that lead to never taking helmets off, when before most of Deathwatch didn't give a poo poo about it. But yeah the real life justification is another one of those "OT Star Wars characters are the ideal iconic version of their race or creed", see Obi Wan's hermit robes becoming Jedi robes, all Mandos being bounty hunters for a while ect. I dunno why I can't think of more examples for some reason.

The Creed aren't Deathwatch though. Neither is Bo-Katan for that matter. She hasn't been since before the end of the Clone War.

Edit: I misread your comment, my bad.

jassa fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 3, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Toplowtech posted:

A whole Tale of the Jedis episode is about her death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ic3kAlh7t0

And how dumb she was. She's singularly responsible for the Clone Wars *and* the formation of the Galactic Empire.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Eh it was a bit reckless but it’s not too different from what Luke does at the end of RotJ (putting the whole mission at risk to pursue his personal quest), except for a friend instead of father.

It may not have been a smart thing to do, but it was a very Jedi (the good kind, not the lofty ivory tower, detached prequel kind) thing to do. Sadly it didn’t work.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wanna know what a gaping hole in the SW franchise is that could be expanded on and repair some of the damage done to Anakin/Vader's character by the prequels?

A dark show showing Shmi's life leading up to and into Anakin's early life. That's the one loving thing that hasn't been expanded on in the SW canon - a deep look at the life of slaves and, by extension, just what it's like to live under Hutt rule when you don't have plot armor.

You could even fix the terrible "I don't like sand" scene by showing "Little Ani" getting his face ground into it daily by bullies and Watto.

is this a joke post or are you seriously advocating for a star wars solely about the toil and suffering of slavery

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the reason why Rian Johnson's Star Wars trilogy keeps getting pushed back is because Johnson keeps getting other jobs like Knives Out, Glass Onion and Poker Face and LucasFilm has to keep shuffling the schedule around to accommodate that.

I thought Taika got tapped to direct a Star Wars movie or was that just talk? If not then I don't know what else he's got going on that would prevent him from reprising IG-11 (Inshallah)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is this a joke post or are you seriously advocating for a star wars solely about the toil and suffering of slavery

You're right, it wouldn't work as they've already used up their Werner Herzog allowance.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mitochondritom posted:

I mean that's literally the point, they're the weirdo extremists of a culture that already fought a civil war over whether nuking your own planet into oblivion was a bad idea

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

nine-gear crow posted:

They've all but said Ray Stevenson is going to be Thrawn on Ashoka. He's currently listed as playing "a villainous admiral" in a show where Ezra Bridger, Sabine Wren, Hera Syndulla, Chopper, and Ahsoka Tano all show up in, and the last big thing Ashoka's seen doing is screaming "WHERE THE gently caress IS THRAWN?" at some lady, so the math is relatively easy to do.

Also huh Ray Stevenson isn't quite what I had in mind for Thrawn but he's real good anyway. Maybe Admiral Pellaeon?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's actually going to be Ray Stevens. He's going to stop Ashoka by making her laugh to his hit song "Little Blue Haired Lady in a Big Black Oldsmobile"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

nine-gear crow posted:

They've all but said Ray Stevenson is going to be Thrawn on Ashoka. He's currently listed as playing "a villainous admiral" in a show where Ezra Bridger, Sabine Wren, Hera Syndulla, Chopper, and Ahsoka Tano all show up in, and the last big thing Ashoka's seen doing is screaming "WHERE THE gently caress IS THRAWN?" at some lady, so the math is relatively easy to do.

Most sources have said he's playing an evil Admiral, but definitely not Thrawn. Don't get me wrong, Thrawn is almost definitely in it, and he may be playing him, but the stories are saying otherwise on that last part so far.

No reason a Grand Admiral couldn't have another Admiral around him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lars Mikkelsen is the recent rumor for Thrawn's casting.

But then there's this, too: https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2023/01/lars-mikkelsen-claims-he-did-not-receive-offer-to-play-live-action-thrawn.html

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

He makes the most sense to me. And actors have lied about not taking roles with Disney before. But yeah, who knows until they make an actual announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Time for Zaarin.
Maybe Harkov, because he's so redeemable