Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Chalk me up for another "first episode meh, second episode greatly enjoyed."

Love the unabashed western stuff. Love reclaiming Tuskens as complex aboriginal people. Loved seeing a nod to some of the comics hopefully portending more characters from it. Action scene in this ep was way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

IT BURNS posted:

It seems that Boba's "origin/rescue" story is mostly done, which probably means less Tusken flashbacks, which sucks because it's a more interesting plot than the crime lord bit, IMO. Unless we get some very groany Tusken sex scenes with Ninja Tusken. :getin:

Well they were setting him up as an orphan in search of home/family with the geonosis/Kamino flashbacks and a man without the strength of numbers to hold his ambitious claim to Jabba's throne so I'm thinking when push comes to shove with Evil Chewie and the twins he's gonna leverage.... *extremely Duke atredes voice* desert power.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The possibility of Dr. Aphra showing up also means there is also a possibility of BT-1 and 0-0-0 showing up.

If they don't get Craven from Auralnauts to voice trip zero I'm gonna be cross.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Flash forward 15 years and the Tusken are no better off but every Toschi Station Dance Revue show starts off with a land acknowledgement at the insistence of Daimyo Fett.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Why doesn't the chairman of the joint cheifs usurp Biden? He wouldn't even have to use the military; he could probably just beat him to death barehanded.

"Power resides where men believe it resides. It's a trick. A shadow on the wall. And a very fat slug can cast a very large shadow.”

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Force isn't even confirmed to offer telekinesis as one of your spell slots till ESB: Everything that happens Force-wise in ANH could be explained by telepathy/clairvoyance. Vader just making Moti THINK he's choking, Luke just reaching out to perceive the perfect time to launch etc.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Nah. You merely have to assume the character is not speaking with robotic literality and is instead invoking a stereotype.

Lest we fall into the pit of thinking because Leia said Tarkin stunk when mouthing off he must literally have a Space Illness that makes him smell bad-- a real thing from the old EU.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Seems like the kind of question that George would answer sarcastically and then the canon minions would treat his joke as gospel.

Coming to Disney+ 2023: Darth Icky

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

site posted:

this is wild. the idea that he was making the admiral think he was being choked has never occured to me, even when i was first seeing it as a kid. tarkin's "release him" always felt pretty definitive that vader was actually doing it

I don't disagree, but I think you could have the alternate read of it until TK is confirmed in the Wampa den.

If reddit existed in 81 imagine the dorks mad that they're just inventing new force powers that the protagonist automagically learns with no training. :rolleyes:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Though, when I was a little kid, I thought Vader had installed something in all of his officer's collars that connected with his glove that let him choke them. I didn't really *get* the Force when I was a little kid.

I am probably not the only kid who thought for a while that stormtroopers were robots. Even though the heroes steal and wear their armor.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

When the first tv teaser for Star Wars came out I thought Chewbacca was a space werewolf :shobon:

That tracks because it's always a full moon... in space

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

mdemone posted:

You guys are all wrong by the way. Obi-Wan demonstrates TK in ANH when he makes an audible *thunk* that both the stormtroopers and the audience hear.

He makes the Stormtroopers hear something but just because the audience heard it too, doesn't mean it's diagetic sound anymore than last week Boba was literally fighting a tentacle tree while his armor dematerialiEd and remarieralized. :c00lbutt:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Also Vader is a massive awkward chump who was put in armor that purposefully chafes him in all the worst places by Emperor Palpatine and his life is a constant earthly hell. Anyone could waste his rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

rivetz posted:

Also I'll stick it out I guess but at this point I'd be way more into a series about the little train spider robot teaming up with the evil Wookiee and going on adventures together because this poo poo is a rough watch. The reality is the coolest thing about Boba Fett is his armor and taking that away has left me w a boring actor playing a boring part. They better do something to make him more badass/fearful because he seems like a total Mandalorian ripoff more than anything else. What's with Boba fuckin Fett letting everybody live? It's like the only thing clearly defined about this character is that he's one of the most feared people in the galaxy, and they've built on that by having him do exactly nothing fearful besides wrecking a bar full of drunks in non-lethal combat. We've already seen two season of this, and they were great. I expected this to be different.

PS I can't be the only one who found the repeated dropping of daimyo a little jarring? I'm not really into Japanese culture at all and even I know roughly what that means, seemed as goofy as Yoda dropping a samurai reference out of the blue

I'm going to tell you a secret:

The reason Boba Fett, ruthless bounty hunter, was so cool and worked as a laconic amoral murderer is because he had like four minutes of screen time. When you make a long form TV show centering them, you have to turn them into a character instead of just a cool helmet and one-liners.

Also it's kind of funny that in your kinder, gentler fett thesis you forgot the time he absolutely exploded a fleeing guy into chunky gibs with a missile.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think it was more respectful of the fake indigenous alien monsters than most stories in that wheelhouse are of real human cultures.

:shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Someone should tell the showrunners

That's actually a pitfall of deciding to protagonize a minor character who's defining live action characterization so far is "dad died, turned badass bounty hunter with a cool hat, fell into a giant sand pussy."

They're trying. I am enjoying the world building going on around everyone and the train sequence was genuinely decent action.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 10, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

gold leader was just straight up Dutch.

not even a coded stand in just a Dutch guy named Vander

that's kind of weird

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

So anyway, we're not getting any of the Tusken Raiders taking off their masks, are we? I have a bad feeling we are, and I hope we're not.

I have a really bad feeling the tusken ninja lady is gonna doff her mask and be a sexy human being who makes out with boba then dies tragically to further his story.

I hope they're not that big of hacks but IDK.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

in a flashback bib fortuna goes on a monologue that starts "we live in a galaxy"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Oh...I'm the only one who liked the Vespa gang, then. That's fine, that's fine...:saddowns:

I thought they were great and a reminder not everything in Star Wars has to take itself too seriously or be black on black with a covering of grime. The cyborg kids on colorful bikes they obviously take great pride in immaculately maintaining was kind of fun, to me. I even liked the chase TBH.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I was not expecting them to fridge the whole TRIBE and definitely had my money on it coming to a head with the pikes and the klatuu biker gang and the mayor all ready to carve him up and him relying on his old tusken pals to help.

Of course they conspicuously did NOT show dead ninja lady tusken, so maybe we'll still get that on a much smaller scale.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

RE: The condition of the bikes. The kids obviously take exceptional pride in maintaining them in cherry shape as a form of self-expression.

We can take that as read from their appearance and it's an easier and more plausible conclusion than thinking the production design team forgot how weathering works for exactly one set of props out of thousands.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1481279138426146818

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I did and do think that their aesthetic really clashes with Tattooine,

I'm probably not going to change your mind, but imagine you're a disaffected space mod culture youth trying to express yourself on a planet where everything is tan drab and sandblasted to poo poo. The clash is the point.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

So everyone else just has broken rusted poo poo cos they don't care?

I mean, mostly, yeah? The guy who's hauling plumbus roots in his space honda that's been running since Yoda was smooth just needs his shitbox to get from the labor district to the city center and doesn't care about doing it in style. The Space Akira Bike Gang probably has like micro-force-fields so their banana yellow paint stays safe from the sands.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

If you're bummed now, just wait til you see Return of the Jedi!!

"Boba Fett? The feared and infamous bounty hunter?"

*scoff* "you're paying for the name."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

VagueRant posted:

The Jabba throneroom scenes. The scene approaching the teens. The scenes with the Hutts. The scenes across the Mayor's reception desk. The scene of the speeder approach.

It's weird how much of this show is two groups of people standing two meters apart and going:
"You will fear and respect me."
"I do not fear and respect you."
"Perhaps I will do something to make you fear and respect me."
"Ok."

It feels like a school play. Is it actually a covid thing?

https://youtu.be/Y7EB4ZYWKYI

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

fartknocker posted:

Filoni finally gonna will Plo Koon back to life and live action :v:

Isn't he the one who died in one of the most unambiguous ways of the whole montage, his starfighter exploding with him in it? Second only to the twilekk who got shot up worse than the kid in the boardroom in RoboCop.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

This is completely accurate to real life in poverty-stricken areas. People cling to whatever color they can and try to keep it bright and creative.

In addition to the mod scene it kind of reminded me of how in Cuba they have 60+ year old cars that they take pride in keeping both mechanically serviceable and physically beautiful.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

it must be asked when we're talking about star war grognards with strong opinions:

is he objecting to the color of the bikes or the color of the actors?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I truly don't understand "this is incongrouous with what we know of the character" complaints.

His whole live action appearance is defined by like 3 lines and three and a half scenes in the films. From that we learn that he is a bounty hunter, kind of clever, has a cool hat, and fell into giant evil space pussy.

Honestly we don't learn a ton about his "character" as such until Mandolorian, where we learn he is also a Mandolorian, values getting his armor back when he learns where it is, and feels honor-bound to see a deal through and help Din.

I could see that character casting about for what to do next and deciding to depose a gross goblin man and struggle to deal with weilding that power trying to be a more stand up man of action and genuine "theives honor."

The character is very bland and I'm mostly enjoying the setpieces and world building happening around him. But not really inconsistent if for no other reason than there's hitherto little to be inconsistent with.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 12, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The chase was definitely bad and needed to be at least 1.5x faster. The Mod gang isn't bad in theory but seem just so utterly out of place in the setting and story. If this was set on a more cosmopolitan world, they'd definitely fit in a lot butter, but here it feels like taking a bunch of models from Cyberpunk and dropping them into RDR2. The design aesthetic of the scooter also feel extremely off compared to the vehicles normally seen. Stuff like them having a more metallic paint instead of something more matte or textured as is more typical. They're also too curvy with panels that don't have the typical stuff (there's a term for it that I can't think of) that also tends to adorn stuff in universe

I think "greebles" is the word you're looking for?

I figure they're just imported from Naboo or Couscant or one of the other Art Deco Planets.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah you don't necessarily put a lift kit, flood lights, and a trailer hitch on a lambo because it belongs to a rich kid in Kentucky who's trying to flex cosmopolitan.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I thought it was night?

It does strain credulity that they don't set a watch.

Hell, they have robots.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jerkface posted:

the approximately 8 employees of boba walk the perimeter in set patterns, use your map to view their routes, Krrsantan

"Who's there?! I'll find you!"

*BK crouches behind a standing vase too small to possibly conceal him for several seconds*

Cyborg eye dude:
"Huh. Must have just been the wind."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If I were going to fall down the trap of Tactical Realism might as well ask why he didn't just blast him in his waterbed and peace out instead of throwing him around a little and then getting teamstomped once the alert was up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is consistent with the films.

laser sword guy? ill tie him up with a lasso!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

They spent three movies showing sleek, chromed out art deco city planet and planet Venice's chromed up shuttles and squadrons of candy yellow gloss Mercedes-Benz 710 SSK Trossi Roadster starfighters.

I think the better surmise when you see a prop or vehicle in that wheelhouse is to assume the characters sourced it from one of those worlds/cultures rather than that the production designers forgot how to do a star war.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 13, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What in the actual gently caress did I just watch? That was probably the worst chase scene I've ever seen in TV/film history. Who greenlit bright-colored hover motorcycles zooming through city streets on bland-rear end Tatooine? Crashing through 2 people holding a painting? That was the worst poo poo I've seen in a long time.

The rancor was cool until Boba decided he wanted to gently caress it.

This show is SO bad and makes Boba look pretty much inept at every turn in the present day scenes.

Good loving grief, Disney.

I think it may say more about you than the pretend spaceman that you take a display of affection towards a pet as a sexual thing, IDK.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

tbh I think the show should be portraying Boba as more badass than it is, and it is making him seem like a chump. I'm okay with him getting kicked around and loving up, but the dude was a bounty hunter with enough cred to be hired by Vader

Vader also hired a lizard, toilet paper head, insect c3po, and the cantina drink machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Farm Frenzy posted:

the teen vespa gang wouldve worked better if they werent all dressed in brand new clothes from uniqlo. or if they were hosed up looking aliens

This does seem like a legit criticism one or two of them should have been Greedos or Prunefaces or some poo poo.

Though I do have a headcanon that they're core world dilettantes living rough on the rim for the thrill of it. so it would map to that.