Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

site posted:

if the old eu counts pallaeon sort of does a face turn eventually

i doubt he's gonna last long enough to do that in ahsoka tho

He'll probably be in the movie Filloni is doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Alchenar posted:

Yeah I think it's *fine* but Thrawn in the original trilogy is a bad guy who is super smart, likes to treat people like they are tools, and has a preference for deception.

He is formed enough to be an antagonist for the good guys, but he's not actually a full character with desires and beliefs and motivations. He wants the Empire back because he wants the Empire back. That's it.

Until book 2 of the new trilogy, not sure about the third. He wanted the Empire because they were more likely to be the military the Chiss needed to fight off the big scary monsters.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Sash! posted:

"We designed a new hotness fighter, but turns out that uprated versions of older fighters were pretty good too."

E-Wing is an F-22. Luke's X-Wing was an F/A-18A. Poe flew an F/A-18E.

Technically they'd be F/A-18 B and F, because they have a WSO

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

General Dog posted:

It’s tough that we’re two episodes in and have yet to really get any explanation for why Ahsoka is so set on tracking down Thrawn. If you’ve seen Rebels, you can maybe assume that maybe she feels obligated to rescue Ezra since he rescued her, but she’s barely even mentioned him so far.

As for Thrawn himself, he’s a high-ranking Imperial, but who cares? There’s surely a bunch of them still out there. Enough to cause a bunch of trouble in another 30 years or so, anyhow. What’s Ahsoka’s personal stake here? I don’t think they were ever even on Rebels concurrently.

Because Thawn knows where Ezra is/was and all the bad guys seem to know where Thrawn is. Also he's a dick swinging tactical genius on the wrong side.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Larryb posted:

Her reasoning seems pretty simple to me: Ezra saved her life back in Rebels, she wants to return the favor, and since Ezra and Thrawn were together when they disappeared finding the latter is her best bet of tracking down the former

Yeah, she owes Ezra a debt and he's one of the only jedi left.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

skasion posted:

Hera, please get a nanny or something.

Ok son, mommy’s gotta talk to the politicians about her proposed plan of campaign now, go play somewhere else on our warship with your uncle the psychotic killer robot

Chopper is a war hero dammit, stop trying to stop veterans from working with children

Didn't Kanan and Ezra do the same thing with Mandalorians in Rebels?

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 30, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
What are the odds they put a hyperspace collar on a Purrgil?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jerusalem posted:

Not a huge fan of the casual reveal that there used to be shipping lanes to entire other galaxies and it was just a casual thing? You'd think being cut off from whole other galaxies they used to have access to would have been some cause for concern for both the Old Republic and the Empire both. Is this show where we discover that the Star Wars Galaxy was the Universal equivalent of North Korea?

* She learned everything she knows from that emo moron!

Didn't they canon it in the high republic novels?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
"The plotting of Ahsoka essentially wants us to think of the giant hyperspace ring as something like the Ring Gates in The Expanse, or like a super wormhole from Deep Space Nine. And yet, we’re told this technology isn't too different from existing hyperspace tech within the home Star Wars galaxy."

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/purrgil-explained-star-wars-space-whales-hyperspace-canon

Seems like entertainment reporters don't pay attention, who knew?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

No Mods No Masters posted:

My pitch would be that whale travel and using the giant hyperspace ring throw you out of sync in time, which the witch lady already sort of implied (let's ignore that it seems like a problem for the trade routes using this method, I guess, that we've also just established). That way when they come back it can be after the sequel trilogy and the events can have some amount of stakes.

Lots of potential upside for the crossover movie too (teenage baby yoda)

The normal hyperspace lanes don't move. It isn't a typical hyperspace lane, it's a purrgil migration lane. My guess is they are building the thing and waiting for the purgill to start their breeding journey, they way the thing lines up in the temple thing makes it look like they are waiting for an alignment of some kind. The orb thing wasn't built to find Thrawn, so for some reason it just points the way the Purrgil go
https://imgur.com/a/COfsera

koolkal posted:

So what exactly was Ahsoka teaching Sabine during their first run. I guess we're supposed to assume that training didn't involve the whole blind sword thingy despite it showing up in every Jedi training shot including children yuenglings

Ahsoka must have just peaced out on the first day lol

Sabine was a lovely student for Kanan and Ezra. Maybe Ahsoka gave it the good old college do or do not, and Sabine said "gently caress you, i'm a stubborn Mandalorian"

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 30, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Honestly given the purgil iconography on the map, I’d be willing to bet that the trip was previously made using purgil as transportation rather than a giant machine.

I'm wondering why the purrgil migration was such a massive enough thing for the Night Sisters to build a secret temple thing for it and have a second temple at the start point for the migration.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

koolkal posted:

Not to get all Tactical but it was a bit silly that she's standing on this gigantic ship that's a good 20x bigger than her and everyone just shoots at her instead of the rest of the ship. Although considering their shots were glancing off the unshielded hull, it doesn't seem like they had the firepower to take down an unmoving ship anyway.

All ships have shields in Star Wars unless otherwise stated.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Gonz posted:

The Jedi fund the Order by means of an Amway-style pyramid scheme.

Holocron paperweights and such.

The Sith had the pyramid market all sown up.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why did they write a ~30 year old veteran partisan of a galactic civil war have the exact same reactions to Jedi training as a precocious pre-teen?

e: And loving don't pretend that Ahsoka hasn't blindfolded Sabine before.

I'm nearly 50 and i hate being told what to do

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Necrothatcher posted:

Never seen much of the animated shows, but is Ahsoka always this detached and vaguely smug? I thought her whole deal is that she isn't a Jedi so why is she doing the whole emotionless robot thing?

No, she's kind of a compassionate git

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Darko posted:

She's also beaten Maul (because he was being cocky but still), fought Grevious, fought Ventress, clowned on two Inquisitors at once, and is one of 2 people to survive a duel with Vader.

Her cockiness makes sense, although it's a good idea to give her another Clone Wars Era Jedi as a main villain since he would at least be in the experience range.

She clowned an entire squad of Death Watch too, as well as fighting Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Not to mention she was a padawan for most of those fights.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 31, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
She brought feels to military briefing, and no proof.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Love Rat posted:

Ahsoka is fine. But Hera is completely miscast and poorly written.

In Rebels, Hera was the ball of anger and tenacity who excelled as a pilot for those reasons. And while it's perhaps not that important, she was a bit on the shorter side. But in Ahsoka, she's this tall, lanky good natured maternal figure who comes off as laid back and philosophical. Now sure, she could have matured since Rebels, and having a kid changes people, but nothing about the performance tracks with the character in Rebels. I can accept everyone else. Obviously, Ahsoka is consistent, Sabine is broadly accurate. But Hera is just wrong. And it's kind of detracts from the overall series. I even went back and watched some later Rebels episodes to compare, and it's simply not the same character.

Also, Saw was right.

Hera is way more relaxed in the Alphabet Squadron books. Commanding a taskforce seems to have chilled her out

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I hope she sends Zeb's space cops out there as backup

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Marsupial Ape posted:

Those books any good? For Star Wars novels, I mean.

Not really, it's really angsty. But it covers a portion of the story nothing else does, Operation Cinder

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Spookydonut posted:

I think ezra will have fallen to the dark side and sabine is gonna have to fight him while ahsoka fights both those dark jedi at once.

My guess would be, the other galaxy doesn't have the force. Ezra has been living his best life in a hut like Yoda.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He doesn't seem particularly lucky

Leia was a fox, He had a life debted manbeardog mechanic, the fastest ship in the galaxy, paid no taxes... he was living the dream

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Maybe they've been rescuing space whales, like Sea Shepherd

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

stev posted:

Has the current canon got anyone else who was taught to be force sensitive rather than being born that way?

It's not a bad precedent to set imo.

No, but even Kanan says in Rebels the same thing Ahsoka did about it being in all living things, they just need to be open to it.

Leia had the force, but she wasn't particularly open to it.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 1, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Parkingtigers posted:

Great, now I gotta picture a Yoda and a Salacious Crumb loving. Just imagine the noise…

Yoda nearly went full Crumb when he was raiding Luke's rations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Egotistically, grossly incompetently and destroying their own ships?

Have we been watching the same Imperial Navy, because i feel like the question mark is redundant

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
She doesn't have the force yet and her helmet's peripheral vision is for poo poo.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

exmarx posted:

i'm glad ahsoka is dead

She's not dead,Anakin rescued her.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Spookydonut posted:

theres no underwear lesbians in star wars - george lucas probably

Doctor Aphra has been lesbianing her way around the galaxy for a few years now.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
drat, there are some picky people watching this show.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

badjohny posted:

I think she used one because she was trying to grab the orb throughout the fight with her other hand. They showed her reach for it a few times.

Now the fight before with the helicopter lightsaber...no idea why she only used one.

She's fought so many Inquisitors, i'm surprised she's not bashing them with a cricket bat

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Temmin "Snap" Wexley was hunting Imperials like a savage when he was Jacen's age. He's probably only a few years older than Jacen during this era

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Besides, Chopper is basically a robot pitbull. No one is loving with that kid.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

LinkesAuge posted:

Because Kanan himself was never a father/experienced being an "actual" father but was a father figure to Kanan, that's why I used the quotes.

I mean in the end it's another case of "opponent is as strong as the story demands it" but like Ahsoka said, Anakin never even mentioned Baylan and for all we know there is nothing to suggest that Baylan is another "super Jedi" but rather a middle of the road Jedi which is still powerful by any standard but not someone Ahsoka would suddenly struggle against and I don't even think the scene was supposed to show anything like that (also "size"/physical power in Star Wars is really never a factor in actual fights, at least in regards to how "powerful" someone really is, it can be somewhat of a visual metaphor but I don't think that Baylan's physical presence should be taken too much into account).
Imo it clearly shows that Ahsoka has to take him seriously, he is a fully trained Jedi afterall, but without the limitation of the "ticking bomb" I don't think we are to assume that Ahsoka would have had any problem dealing with Baylan.

PS: Now that people mention him: Chopper should have been with Hera.

Chopper was with Hera

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

G-III posted:

I'm still confused as to what the bad Jedi are after. "One must destroy in order to create" is dumb tropey dialogue that doesn't mean anything.

Outside of being useful tools for a new empire led by Thrawn their motivations for being involved aren't clear to me.

Power, he said it straight.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

General Dog posted:

So are Thrawn and Ezra going to have no idea about the outcome of the war? That should be fun

Thrawn's been in contact with the council of holograms apparently

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Can't wait until we hear big disney ordered a list of reshoots a mile long and brings in Akira Kurosawa from the grave to redirect it.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The real question is whether we will get to hear Hera use her french Ryloth accent by the end of Ahsoka.

She's been practicing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEL0x9Zn2Yc

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

No Mods No Masters posted:

My understanding is by the time the new republic scrapped the fleet half of the planets in it were actively supporting the first order and just waiting for a chance to secede. So probably whatever was most passive aggressive

The Mon Cals don't support Notzis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
She can be Sabine's Maul.